Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Benagain posted:

the month after this when every Chicago mainstream news source was praising the deal to the heavens and angrily wondering why our state couldn't land deals like this

the slow trickle of bad news about the project basically confirming all the naysayers

the business papers running post--mortems with zero self reflection on how they'd all been cheering for it.

the trib has always been a neoliberal rag

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KORNOLOGY
Aug 9, 2006

drat dude, make a joke. You'll feel better. My cousin was a PA for Walker for 2 years and still can't remember a thing about him. Then he owned me by being a successful lawyer.

Edit: Walker also mega owned me pls don't mention that.

KORNOLOGY has issued a correction as of 21:33 on Aug 16, 2023

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe

more falafel please posted:

the trib has always been a neoliberal rag

the tribune endorsing Obama as their first-ever democratic candidate pick because he was from Chicago.

the tribune editor who wished for a Katrina to hit Chicago so that we could rebuild better

just the tribune editorial board in general and for all time

KORNOLOGY
Aug 9, 2006

Benagain posted:

the tribune endorsing Obama as their first-ever democratic candidate pick because he was from Chicago.

the tribune editor who wished for a Katrina to hit Chicago so that we could rebuild better

just the tribune editorial board in general and for all time

Can you post a #1 absolute fav?

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe

KORNOLOGY posted:

Can you post a #1 absolute fav?

no but this is the one that made me laugh the hardest recently

https://www.chicagotribune.com/opin...2vyq-story.html

quote:

On West Winnemac Avenue in Chicago’s Lincoln Square neighborhood stands the kind of four-bedroom house to which a growing family could aspire. There’s an old brick exterior, a finished basement, a small deck and a newly redone kitchen. The exterior hardly will draw attention, homes press on either side of this single lot and one of the house’s bedrooms is in the basement, but this still looks like a nice place for a young family who wants to raise kids in the city. It’s near a lovely park.

As of Wednesday, that 3,158-square-foot property was listed for $1.05 million on Realtor.com which puts it in the crosshairs of Mayor Brandon Johnson’s proposed new “mansion tax,” even though describing this sweet but quotidian home as a mansion is patently absurd.

for context the proposed tax would be on real estate sales for more than a million.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

The governors all buying planeloads of masks from Korea and like, hiding them from each other? Under armed guard?

Balk was definitely happening by may 2020, you see

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
Trump retreating to the bunker in fear of BLM protesters.

Trump being labeled a "Bunker Bitch."

KORNOLOGY
Aug 9, 2006
Me and masked hunks signed with C-SPAM on their luchador masks selling masks at 50x the market rate.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Benagain posted:

no but this is the one that made me laugh the hardest recently

https://www.chicagotribune.com/opin...2vyq-story.html

for context the proposed tax would be on real estate sales for more than a million.

lol of course it's a loving 2-flat converted into an SFH

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
Trump serving dinner to the college football national champions during a government shutdown and sending the Secret Service out to buy out every single fast food restaurant within driving distance, then serving the team an elegantly-plated buffet of random cold burgers and fries from like six different burger chains

there was a bunch of handwringing in the newspapers but the players clearly did not give a poo poo and happily scarfed down their cold White House cheeseburgers

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Mister Bates posted:

Trump serving dinner to the college football national champions during a government shutdown and sending the Secret Service out to buy out every single fast food restaurant within driving distance, then serving the team an elegantly-plated buffet of random cold burgers and fries from like six different burger chains

there was a bunch of handwringing in the newspapers but the players clearly did not give a poo poo and happily scarfed down their cold White House cheeseburgers

the hamburger party was the punchline of this world and everything after is just icing on the cake

Les Os
Mar 29, 2010
the price of meat going up at the start of the plague causing FDA regulations to loosen and then never going back to normal

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

https://i.imgur.com/4jR21He.mp4

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

lmao the shoulder slaps

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

lmao the shoulder slaps

that’s how you know you have hosed up

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

projecthalaxy posted:

The governors all buying planeloads of masks from Korea and like, hiding them from each other? Under armed guard?

Balk was definitely happening by may 2020, you see

I think they were hiding them from the feds bc the trump admin kept intercepting the cargo flights to take the masks for themselves lol.

Also Kraft and Tom Brady personally securing a mask cargo drop for MA #BostonStrong

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

From that same period I remember a bunch of state govts establishing regional hospital networks across state borders that was supposed to share staffing resources and training and even named them poo poo like Northeast Alliance - Western State Hospital Zone - Greate Illinois and published maps. Trying to one up each other on branding. Really weird like 6 days lol.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

In Training posted:

I think they were hiding them from the feds bc the trump admin kept intercepting the cargo flights to take the masks for themselves lol.

Also Kraft and Tom Brady personally securing a mask cargo drop for MA #BostonStrong

yeah the feds were straight up armed robbering loving ppe for a really long time.

Clowner
Dec 13, 2006

Further in
Who was the clown who served Reagan's favorite foods at his wedding? Was that Scott Walker? Always laugh when I think about that.

Mister Bates posted:

This wasn't the worst of Trump's crimes, not by a country mile

But it might be the funniest

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i dunno why you'd call it a crime. he did something weird and funny that was perfectly legal for once in his life.

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Cant find the diagram of the table & breakdown of burger placements looking like a map of a civil war battle

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

In Training posted:

another funny one from that period was people sewing handmade masks for healthcare workers to wear and then Cuomo taking a bunch of those masks and stapling them to a board that he could use in photo ops

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

vyelkin posted:

another funny one from that period was people sewing handmade masks for healthcare workers to wear and then Cuomo taking a bunch of those masks and stapling them to a board that he could use in photo ops

then Cuomo wrote a book bragging about his leadership during COVID-19, only to end up getting run out of office for horribly loving up NYs response to covid

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
cuomo clearly semi erect as he announced each new round of lockdowns

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Spergin Morlock posted:

then Cuomo wrote a book bragging about his leadership during COVID-19, only to end up getting run out of office for horribly loving up NYs response to covid

he published that book in October 2020

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Sometimes I wonder what would have happened if trump had died of covid when he got it b/c even with the premium drugs they had him on it must have been a closer call than they'll ever admit

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Trump had a plan to rip open his shirt to reveal a Superman logo underneath on his first public appearance after recovering from covid

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Spergin Morlock posted:

what? i thought be got canned for sexual harrassment stuff and being too italian or whatever

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Clowner posted:

Who was the clown who served Reagan's favorite foods at his wedding? Was that Scott Walker? Always laugh when I think about that.

I thought it might be tom cotton but I looked and couldn’t find anything, but I was reminded that tom cotton eats birthday cake almost every single day

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

fits my needs posted:

what? i thought be got canned for sexual harrassment stuff and being too italian or whatever

doh yea that was it. I'm sure his COVID poo poo didn't help him

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Spergin Morlock posted:

doh yea that was it. I'm sure his COVID poo poo didn't help him

NY Republicans tried to remove him after the nursing home investigations but the only Dems to sign on were the DSA wing. The sex crimes were bipartisan

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

World War Mammories posted:

I thought it might be tom cotton but I looked and couldn’t find anything, but I was reminded that tom cotton eats birthday cake almost every single day

like he finds a different person whjose birthday it is and eats soem of their cake?

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Weka posted:

like he finds a different person whjose birthday it is and eats soem of their cake?

Lol tom cotton demanding tribute by sending out interns to bring him birthday cake upon pain of death

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
do you. do you think he knows if it's just a regular cake someone bought

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
the Oklahoma state legislature decided to establish an 'official state meal' as a way to promote and advertise the state's agriculture, and basically every single agricultural and food industry related lobbying group in the entire state wanted in on it, and no one wanted to be the guy to tell the people they're taking bribes from 'no', so they just kept adding more and more poo poo to the 'state meal' every time a new lobbyist asked them to

the final result is a 'meal' that is approximately 3000 calories and has about 5.3 grams of sodium in it (recommended daily intake is about 2.3 grams)

it includes two bread items (biscuits and cornbread), sausage gravy, two meat entrees (pulled pork and chicken fried steak), five different vegetable sides (black-eyed peas, corn, okra, squash, and grits), and two desserts (pecan pie and a bowl of strawberries with cream)

it never really caught on

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

In Training posted:

From that same period I remember a bunch of state govts establishing regional hospital networks across state borders that was supposed to share staffing resources and training and even named them poo poo like Northeast Alliance - Western State Hospital Zone - Greate Illinois and published maps. Trying to one up each other on branding. Really weird like 6 days lol.

This lead to speculation that these would be the lines the US would Balkanize along.

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Mister Bates posted:

the Oklahoma state legislature decided to establish an 'official state meal' as a way to promote and advertise the state's agriculture, and basically every single agricultural and food industry related lobbying group in the entire state wanted in on it, and no one wanted to be the guy to tell the people they're taking bribes from 'no', so they just kept adding more and more poo poo to the 'state meal' every time a new lobbyist asked them to

the final result is a 'meal' that is approximately 3000 calories and has about 5.3 grams of sodium in it (recommended daily intake is about 2.3 grams)

it includes two bread items (biscuits and cornbread), sausage gravy, two meat entrees (pulled pork and chicken fried steak), five different vegetable sides (black-eyed peas, corn, okra, squash, and grits), and two desserts (pecan pie and a bowl of strawberries with cream)

taste pairing? gently caress that just put all the stuff we grow here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Mister Bates posted:

yeah that sounds like the "official state meal" is more like an "official state snack"