Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Captain Hygiene posted:

:negative: It does, that's kinda on me. I even restarted the game to make sure I hadn't forgotten manually opting for the longsword, but I never even thought to try switching weapons because I assumed the game handing me one meant that was my starter option. I'll go back to it at some point when I'm better at the game, but for now it was just feeling like an extra layer of difficulty for me trying to get used to a combat system that feels different from stuff I've played before.

It's the sort of thing every long time Monster Hunter player will know instinctively, but they probably don't do much if anything to draw new players' attention to it. It's way more friendly then back in the day, but Monster Hunter is just the sort of game we're bound to bumble around for awhile with your first one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I'm a lot more excited to try out other weapons now that I know I need to worry more about upgrades rather than crafting them all in the first place. Makes sense that the game style is a bit different, I guess the longsword in particular just exaggerates the difference from my usual light and zippy melee style.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Captain Hygiene posted:

I'm a lot more excited to try out other weapons now that I know I need to worry more about upgrades rather than crafting them all in the first place. Makes sense that the game style is a bit different, I guess the longsword in particular just exaggerates the difference from my usual light and zippy melee style.

Try out the Dual Blades or the Insect Glaive. DB especially lets you be a whirlwind of frantic button mashing and still do well.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Captain Hygiene posted:

lol you should see the greatsword

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Meowywitch posted:

How bad is the story compared to, say, twelve minutes?

Sounds like someone hasn't heard of The Suicide of Rachel Foster.

Despite what the title says, a tin of beans you eat early on gets more sscreentime and attention than her.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Meowywitch posted:

How bad is the story compared to, say, twelve minutes?

I'm only halfway through but I feel pretty sure there's no Incest involved so it's at least better than that.
Basically just imagine the two whitest hipsters you can think of having a fairly normal relationship and that's about it

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

kazil posted:

lol you should see the greatsword

I love the greatsword so much but man is using it a nightmare for me

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Let me just swing this fuckoff huge hammer in slow motion oh oops I got dinged by the monster and the animation was interrupted.

That said, I fuckin love love love the switch axe

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I'm scared to look at the greatsword, I'm struggling to imagine something slower than the longsword :ohdear:

The regular sword & shield still feel great, I've been cleaning up the same and more difficult large monsters in a third of the time as with the longsword. The dual swords seem neat, they have smaller damage numbers but they add up pretty fast - I'll try them on larger enemies next to see how they feel in a more prolonged fight.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Captain Hygiene posted:

I'm scared to look at the greatsword, I'm struggling to imagine something slower than the longsword :ohdear:

The regular sword & shield still feel great, I've been cleaning up the same and more difficult large monsters in a third of the time as with the longsword. The dual swords seem neat, they have smaller damage numbers but they add up pretty fast - I'll try them on larger enemies next to see how they feel in a more prolonged fight.

Greatsword is the polar opposite of DB— you wait for the chance to do single, enormous hits or a small series of enormous hits if the opportunity presents itself. It takes a little more learning than some other weapons but is very satisfying to use once you have the monster down.

Sword and Shield is a pretty good weapon to get your feet under you, and also just a great weapon in general for its utility since it’s the only weapon that lets you use items while your weapon is drawn. There’s no bad weapon types in MH, just ones that don’t mesh with your playstyle.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Sounds like someone hasn't heard of The Suicide of Rachel Foster.

Despite what the title says, a tin of beans you eat early on gets more sscreentime and attention than her.

GOD, that loving game.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

To be fair that tin can was a fun character.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Opopanax posted:

I was really excited for Mauqette when I saw the trailer, so when it eventually came to gamepass I was stoked, but for a game that should be my jam it's really not clicking.
The puzzles are pretty underwhelming and the tacked on story is the same hipster twee bs we've seen too many times now. It's really short so I'll probably still finish it but what a let down

You might not like it, but you shouldn't Mauquette.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Agents are GO! posted:

You might not like it, but you shouldn't Mauquette.

:goofy:

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Arrath posted:

Let me just swing this fuckoff huge hammer in slow motion oh oops I got dinged by the monster and the animation was interrupted.

That said, I fuckin love love love the switch axe

Honestly I find this, and a lot of other issues brought up recently, are issues mostly brought back in rise despite having been phased out to force players to use and rely on wirebugs. In other more recent MH games, like world as an example, the big slow weapons like great sword usually give you some degree of super armour to compensate, shortcuts to get your stronger moves out faster and aside from one or two of the hardest monsters you typically have enough time to actually get your skills off once you down something. But in Rise your super armor might as well not exist because monsters just moving near you will knock you out of your animation, every monster is faster than some of the fastest creatures in World so not only do you have no hope of catching or countering them with regular tactics but in the off chance you actually knock one down it's back up and attacking you before you even finish your charge or basic combo. And the only response is "just use your wirebugs". And I hate it so much because people still complain about how "forced" the clutch claw was in world but you can hunt every single monster in that game without using it and still face minimal issues but Rise is nearly unplayable if you don't pretty much exclusively use the wire bug and wire bug skills.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

I'll have to plead the fifth cause I've only played World (and a fuckin lot of it). :v:

That does sound super loving annoying tho!

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Greatsword is one of the simplest weapons on its face but really the last weapon a new player should use because it's the most dependent on monster knowledge. it's all about landing charged hits after a huge delay which you can only really do via luck if you don't know when your opportunities are.

Nuebot posted:

Honestly I find this, and a lot of other issues brought up recently, are issues mostly brought back in rise despite having been phased out to force players to use and rely on wirebugs. In other more recent MH games, like world as an example, the big slow weapons like great sword usually give you some degree of super armour to compensate, shortcuts to get your stronger moves out faster and aside from one or two of the hardest monsters you typically have enough time to actually get your skills off once you down something. But in Rise your super armor might as well not exist because monsters just moving near you will knock you out of your animation, every monster is faster than some of the fastest creatures in World so not only do you have no hope of catching or countering them with regular tactics but in the off chance you actually knock one down it's back up and attacking you before you even finish your charge or basic combo. And the only response is "just use your wirebugs". And I hate it so much because people still complain about how "forced" the clutch claw was in world but you can hunt every single monster in that game without using it and still face minimal issues but Rise is nearly unplayable if you don't pretty much exclusively use the wire bug and wire bug skills.

The wirebug is integrated into every weapon with unique moves that affect their playstyle and are basically just an extension of every weapon's moveset while the clutch claw wallbang/soften routine is the same for almost every weapon and removes variety. you can only skip using it if you want to leave thousands of damage on the table in MR hunts that can feel like a slog compared to HR even with efficient claw use. they are not comparable at all.

Owl Inspector has a new favorite as of 07:06 on Aug 16, 2023

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Owl Inspector posted:

The wirebug is integrated into every weapon with unique moves that affect their playstyle and are basically just an extension of every weapon's moveset while the clutch claw wallbang/soften routine is the same for almost every weapon and removes variety. you can only skip using it if you want to leave thousands of damage on the table in MR hunts that can feel like a slog compared to HR even with efficient claw use. they are not comparable at all.

They aren't an extension of their playstyle or moveset though, wirebug skills are straight up a replacement. Especially in the case of weapons like the great sword where your traditional moveset is straight up not functional in rise, and even the base rise wirebug moveset is trash until sunbreak added in a completely broken one.

RedSnapper
Nov 22, 2016

Vic posted:

Right, I'm the opposite, I love messing around with inventory in games, and this one's got a lot of nice interactions like throwing water on a person to wash off mud or douse fire.

Just now I threw a ladle at my dude to wake them up from sleep.

Using the items in weird ways is fun, it's just arranging them that boils my blood.
My favorite so far was loading Karlach with a couple of exploding barrels and having her climb the temple rafters and bomb the gobbos below.

marshmallow creep posted:

That's enough to make being arrested a reload condition for me.

That's grounds for getting in a fight with the cops

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Nuebot posted:

They aren't an extension of their playstyle or moveset though, wirebug skills are straight up a replacement. Especially in the case of weapons like the great sword where your traditional moveset is straight up not functional in rise, and even the base rise wirebug moveset is trash until sunbreak added in a completely broken one.

This complaint increasingly just reads like a grievance about how capcom handled greatsword specifically in rise more than anything consistent about the wirebug system in general and I would challenge you to make a case for how IG’s initial set of extremely niche, borderline afterthought wirebug skills replace any of its functionality or how the game is “nearly unplayable” without using them. Hell, it would have been nice to get anything exciting to do with IG wirebugs before late HR

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus
I'm also confused by the claim that Rise is somehow uniquely absent of defensive options, when if anything it just continues the series trend of giving the player more options to avoid and prevent damage.

Looking at greatsword specifically, even if we ignore the wirebugs you still have the option to cancel a charge into a tackle to block attacks and skip to the next level of charge attack. How is that not

Nuebot posted:

some degree of super armour to compensate, shortcuts to get your stronger moves out faster

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

I couldn't use the Greatsword for poo poo before the new moveset option in Sunbreak, but loads of people could. Even just joining rando hunts, I saw dozens of people wrecking monsters with the classic moveset. The GS was never not functional.

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

jjack229 posted:

I just finished the game a couple weeks ago and mostly enjoyed it.

It does have a lock on system, unless I am misunderstanding your complaint. I did find that the range was a bit shorter than I wanted, so it could be hard to lock onto enemies that were flying and a little back from the main group of mobs.

I thought the Zeus and Prometheus voice actors played off each other pretty well, but I did find Hermes to be the most hit or miss when it came to dialogue.

I also burned out on all the collecting and puzzles and just focused on the main story for the last third of my gameplay.

I did find the lock on button. I tried it before, but like you said, you gotta be really close to your enemy for it to activate.

Just goes to show you that even I can make mistakes from time to time

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
Rise also feels like garbage to play.

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
As someone who only runs hammer Rise gave me a lot more room to no-sell poo poo with the Sunbreak wire dash bug or your counter.

Between all of that and being able to Wirebug recovery out of (or into) enemy attacks I felt a lot more freedom to move around.

I do feel like they’re a bit of crutch though. I still want them in future games, but somehow in a weaker state.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Wirefall makes the game feel much better because it means you're spending less time without access to controls, and the more time you're allowed to press buttons in an action game the better. I do think the part where it sheathes your weapon makes it kinda too good. in combination with the fact that MHR made potions partly heal you as soon as you start the animation, you can go from owned to max health faster than you probably should. I think they should make something like wirefall base functionality in one form or another but get rid of the free sheathing part and maybe go back to MHW potions which entirely heal over time.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
I hate any game where I lose control of my character. At least give me a QuickTime event or something. Aliens fireteam elite has a bunch of QT event grabs and it's fun, colonial Marines just loves making you watch an animation of your guy falling over every 30 second.

Why did my phone capitalise QuickTime and Marines

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

what's the deal with games that like have this character with a busted ability, but then when you get them it's conspicously absent

it makes no sense

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Splicer posted:

I hate any game where I lose control of my character. At least give me a QuickTime event or something. Aliens fireteam elite has a bunch of QT event grabs and it's fun, colonial Marines just loves making you watch an animation of your guy falling over every 30 second.

This used to drive me nuts in FF7R, there are a lot of enemies who will knockdown or stunlock your character and it's really jarring. I think the idea is that it encourages you to switch to a different party member, but they all control completely differently and that just felt disorienting.

I eventually gave up on the game half way because the combat just didn't click with me at all.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Gerblyn posted:

This used to drive me nuts in FF7R, there are a lot of enemies who will knockdown or stunlock your character and it's really jarring. I think the idea is that it encourages you to switch to a different party member, but they all control completely differently and that just felt disorienting.

I eventually gave up on the game half way because the combat just didn't click with me at all.
Haven't played that, is it turn based or real-time? Do your other characters "exist" and are just comp controlled otherwise or do you tag them in from offscreen?

I'm now imagining a real time fps/tps where every time you get hit you immediately get switched out for a completely different power set or involuntarily teleport your consciousness to another character.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Splicer posted:

Haven't played that, is it turn based or real-time? Do your other characters "exist" and are just comp controlled otherwise or do you tag them in from offscreen?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KMD4rKICjao

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Splicer posted:

I'm now imagining a real time fps/tps where every time you get hit you immediately get switched out for a completely different power set or involuntarily teleport your consciousness to another character.

Well, you can see it in the video, but it's real time with other characters controlled by the AI. The game pauses/slows down when you go into menus, which kind of helps too.

From what I've been told, the idea is that you do some stuff with a character, put all their abilities on cooldown, then flip to another and repeat. In practice though I would usually think "I like this character, and want to play with it" and get annoyed because the game would constantly interfere with it.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

FF7 Remake is built on the assumption you will play as each character to build up their ATB and then switch to another character, because in the original FF7 in battle you controlled every character and used their abilities in battle too.

Enemies also tend to aggro onto whoever you're currently controlling so it's an expected tactic to switch to someone way off once your current character is surrounded.

It's probably the best action-RPG system I've ever played and is real good and fun; and even though I'm not very good at action games by comparison (e.g. I scrape my way through Elden Ring and Dark Souls 3, I suck at Devil May Cry) it has a very beatable Hard Mode. Every character is fun to play except maybe Aerith who's a bit slow and has a different rhythm with her regular attacks, compared to Cloud and Tifa who can constantly be on the aggressive.

The Integrade DLC does things a little differently because you can only control Yuffie, and while she has a partner you don't get to control him. In return between their team-up moves and Yuffie's own battle set she is instead just super versatile by default. Go watch ChipAndIronicus' LP of it to check it out.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Splicer posted:

And 'Marines' is the name of the branch for which 'United States Marines' is the full name.

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022

Thank god that poo poo is dead

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

bewilderment posted:

FF7 Remake is built on the assumption you will play as each character to build up their ATB and then switch to another character, because in the original FF7 in battle you controlled every character and used their abilities in battle too.

Enemies also tend to aggro onto whoever you're currently controlling so it's an expected tactic to switch to someone way off once your current character is surrounded.

I understand that this is the intention (it's been a while, so I'd forgotten the ATB thing), but frankly I utterly hated it. I know a lot of people like it, so I'm not saying it's a bad system at all, but it's most definitely not for me.

I kinda want to try the DLC, since the system without being constantly forced to switch characters sounds fun.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
FF7R is also designed with RPG sensibilities in mind namely that you have to take damage to deal damage but you can mitigate it by blocking or simply not being in the spot where the attack hits.

I think it's really fun because it has the depth of a turn based JRPG but it's a lot more fast paced and it's visually impressive.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I liked what I played of FF7R a lot in terms of pure combat, but it did seem kinda weird that the difficulty was less forgiving than most Final Fantasies. Mostly because FF tends to be generally chill outside of superbosses, but still.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

The Wicked ZOGA posted:

Thank god that poo poo is dead

Unfortunately the Marines are alive and well, eating crayons as we speak

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"

Splicer posted:

I hate any game where I lose control of my character. At least give me a QuickTime event or something.

I bet you loved the jockey enemies in Left 4 Dead 2. :haw: