Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

raggedphoto posted:

The house we bought last year has a vented crawlspace with uninsulated ducts running through it, I wonder how much heat in BTU's went straight from the furnace to outside over the 20 years the system has been installed.

Probably a lot but it also probably keeps the pipes from freezing during really cold winters

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

The vibe I'm getting is that "I need to be able to entertain 200 people" was the main concern here. A place to live was a distant second.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

StormDrain posted:

Two boxes of drywall finishing mud and shoulders of iron. Prime the whole ceiling first, skim it out, light sanding, skim it again, light sand, and paint. It looks like everything else has an orange peel texture, so they may want to get a texture gun and rent an air compressor to run it.

I assume anyone who's asking how doesn't own any of that or have the skills yet, but it's a very fixable problem. All my ceilings are just smooth finish and walls are textured, which is fine. It's preferrable to a lot of folks to just go smooth everywhere.

Honestly not fun but not the worst. I am coming from a higher level maybe though as I am far enough away from having scraped a whole house of popcorn ceiling and refinished it.

To me, this is a good excuse to buy a drywall sander:
https://www.harborfreight.com/5-amp-9-in-variable-speed-drywall-sander-59166.html
https://www.amazon.com/WEN-6369-Variable-Drywall-Sander/dp/B01HRL9XYI

Still take a bit of strength and endurance, but at least you don't have to hold your hands over your head, and the dust is extracted. Really intended for sanding the mud, but works just fine for removing texture as well. If it were just popcorn, you could do the water spray and scrape, but that looks more like a mudded texture.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EKQUGCoBang

Some reviews and vids are saying that these sanders barely touch heavily painted textures, so I'm not sure if it would help. I can't imagine it would do nothing with the 80-grit discs, though...

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Nenonen posted:

I too remember the palace improvements from Civilization 1 fondly. The Greek pillars should be bigger though.

I remember getting in some sort of loop where my population kept giving me more and more palace bits until I had this huge globbed together monstrosity.

It's on Zillow right now at a real bargain price!

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

raggedphoto posted:

The house we bought last year has a vented crawlspace with uninsulated ducts running through it, I wonder how much heat in BTU's went straight from the furnace to outside over the 20 years the system has been installed.

Mine was the same, also some of the ducts had fallen down and were blasting right into the crawlspace (also spider/ant highways into the house). I blocked up all the registers and got a ductless heat pump instead, still need to rip the old system out though.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

I remember getting in some sort of loop where my population kept giving me more and more palace bits until I had this huge globbed together monstrosity.

It's on Zillow right now at a real bargain price!
My brother would only ever improve the lawn and driveway part.

raggedphoto
May 10, 2008

I'd like to shoot you

Sloppy posted:

Mine was the same, also some of the ducts had fallen down and were blasting right into the crawlspace (also spider/ant highways into the house). I blocked up all the registers and got a ductless heat pump instead, still need to rip the old system out though.

Can’t wait to do that myself! Also I am going to encapsulate the crawl space sometime in the near future.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Yeah and they work backwards too when it's cooler inside than outside, which is great in summer.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

`Nemesis posted:

"found in new construction"

This is better than typical AU construction because it actually uses a manifold.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Ambassadorofsodomy posted:

My brother would only ever improve the lawn and driveway part.

First impressions count so he's probably got a good price increase from that.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
When the contractor mixes up where the fridge and stove are supposed to go:

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

DrBouvenstein posted:

When the contractor mixes up where the fridge and stove are supposed to go:

Aha took me a minute.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug

StormDrain posted:

Aha took me a minute.

Is it the plug in the middle of the wall?

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Yes, and lack of backsplash

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
But also that would be absolutely awful placement if the fridge and range were swapped. Look, the appliance installer did everyone involved a favor, that work triangle is garbage but it could have been even worse.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

brugroffil posted:

Yes, and lack of backsplash

The microwave will be preheated though if you need to warm some sides while making dinner on the stove.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Nenonen posted:

The microwave will be preheated though if you need to warm some sides while making dinner on the stove.

Is the a comment on one of the most common over range microwave setups of all time?

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

FISHMANPET posted:

But also that would be absolutely awful placement if the fridge and range were swapped. Look, the appliance installer did everyone involved a favor, that work triangle is garbage but it could have been even worse.

I think whoever did the electrical rough-in is the one that hosed up.

Ironhead
Jan 19, 2005

Ironhead. Mmm.

Nenonen posted:

Putting the microwave over the stove is super common though? They even make microwaves with a built in hood vent exactly for that application.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
I goofed up in an extended stay one time because I cooked bacon at midnight and accidentally set off the alarms because the microwave light didn't also turn on the fan

Luckily my friend covered the smoke alarm with a pillow as I explained to the front desk that I didn't need to make any more bacon

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

FISHMANPET posted:

Agreed, exiling the stove to the far side of the fridge would be terrible. Without any counter space next to it, you couldn't even put down the spatula.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

FISHMANPET posted:

That's true, a fridge should NEVER be right next to the stove. I guess lesser of two evils? Seeing as we can see a corner of dishwasher , it looks like the picture is taken from about where the sink is, so I'd be curious to see what's behind them/on the opposite wall of the stove and if that cold accommodate a fridge.

When I moved into my house, I had a setup just like the one in the pic, but I was able to move the fridge to the opposite wall, though due to the layout of the rest of the kitchen, that's pretty bad, too...just less bad.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

StormDrain posted:

Is the a comment on one of the most common over range microwave setups of all time?

Ironhead posted:

Putting the microwave over the stove is super common though? They even make microwaves with a built in hood vent exactly for that application.

Finland just got microwaves last year.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

moist turtleneck posted:

I goofed up in an extended stay one time because I cooked bacon at midnight and accidentally set off the alarms because the microwave light didn't also turn on the fan

Luckily my friend covered the smoke alarm with a pillow as I explained to the front desk that I didn't need to make any more bacon
lol

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Platystemon posted:

Finland just got microwaves last year.

Plural?!

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

They time share them. It's more efficient that way.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

moist turtleneck posted:

My dorm was once evacuated because the fire alarms were set off by a guy who was pan-frying squirrel in the communal kitchen on the top floor and let it burn.

Yes, this was northeast Pennsylvania.

Ironhead
Jan 19, 2005

Ironhead. Mmm.

Phanatic posted:

My dorm was once evacuated because the fire alarms were set off by a guy who was pan-frying squirrel in the communal kitchen on the top floor and let it burn.

While on tour in Australia I set off the fire alarms in the apartments they had us in trying to cook kangaroo while poo poo-hammered. The next morning at the theater everyone was bitching about the fire alarm going off in the middle of the night and I couldn't stop laughing. In my defense the very pretty local girl convinced me it was a good idea.

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all

Phanatic posted:

It's not a bad flavor, but it's best grilled, and then stewed.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
My dad always "threatens" to feed people squirrel, but in fact it's a treat he hordes for himself.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

moist turtleneck posted:

I woke up one time to an apartment filled with smoke, my college roommate passed out, and a pizza burning in the oven. Tossed it into the parking lot, opened the windows, went back to sleep.

No fire alarm went off.

It was a brand new construction, we were the first people to live there.

The week we moved in, the people upstairs turned on the whirlpool tub and flooded the place, so I'm assuming that shorted out the fire alarm system. :shrug:

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Living in the dorms meant late-night cooking sessions setting off the smoke detector resulted in the cops or fire dept. knocking on your door.

Or I was really out of it and we did something else to get them at our door at 4am on several occasions.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Phanatic posted:

One of my suitemates went bow-hunting on campus and was successful. I learned this by being greeted after class by the coppery smell of fresh blood and a dorm sink full of woodcock feathers.

I have no idea how or where he cooked & ate it just get it the gently caress out of the dorm.

Why yes this was a university located in the Laurel Highlands of Pa.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
“I hope that you brought enough for the class.”

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

I looked up woodcocks just to get a rough idea of the size of the thing, and ...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_woodcock posted:

The American woodcock (Scolopax minor), sometimes colloquially referred to as the timberdoodle, the bogsucker, the hokumpoke, the trainanator, and the Labrador twister,

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

StormDrain posted:

I thought microwaves go on top of the clothes dryer?

But seriously, that setup never happens here and there's obvious reasons why no sane person wants that.

Harry_Potato
May 21, 2021

The Dave posted:

Living in the dorms meant late-night cooking sessions setting off the smoke detector resulted in the cops or fire dept. knocking on your door.

Or I was really out of it and we did something else to get them at our door at 4am on several occasions.

My buddy Spam's scorched lasagna was a real hit with the fire department. The time my car leaked a few gallons of gas between the dorms resulted in a twofer evacuation.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Harry_Potato posted:

My buddy Spam's scorched lasagna was a real hit with the fire department. The time my car leaked a few gallons of gas between the dorms resulted in a twofer evacuation.

Your buddy, whose name is Spam? Or your buddy's Spam lasagna?

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_woodcock posted:
The American woodcock (Scolopax minor), sometimes colloquially referred to as the timberdoodle, the bogsucker, the hokumpoke, the trainanator, and the Labrador twister,

rofl

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Owj52XhoxI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UEISiCmjwH8