Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug

Endorph posted:

the artist's asked wonderlab to be taken down. whether they have to actually listen to the artist and if they will either way is up in the air.

its down

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

https://projectmoon.postype.com/post/15109245

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Wait does PM not own Servant of Wrath, Scaredy Cat and The Road Home, then?

L.U.I.G.I
Apr 19, 2023

i cant believe i was the useless piece of shit who managed to rig all the Library of Ruina LP thread polls and all i got was this account and shitty avatar.

pls say hi and heckle me

MotU posted:

its down

By searching the web like a fisherman at sea and after countless shenanigans with funny people, (and by that, I mean that I just knew people who knew people), here is a link to a drive with the entirety of WonderLab on it. Supposedely, the person with the Korean version is sleeping and shall be posting the rest later.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1-Vz8f6p3LRNkhoIfvwsxrXz7Iazdgopt?usp=drive_link

If there is a problem with the drive, I have downloaded a copy of the whole thing so I can set up something should the need arise.

KobunFan
Aug 13, 2022
...this is feeling like a "beginning of the end". I'm starting to doubt we'll get all those games they promised. I'm going to be as bummed as when Black Isle died.

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug

KobunFan posted:

...this is feeling like a "beginning of the end". I'm starting to doubt we'll get all those games they promised. I'm going to be as bummed as when Black Isle died.

mimi has tried/asked to take it down a couple of times before, they probably just did it this time to just prevent any additional drama

CommunityEdition
May 1, 2009
What kind of idiot builds their entire company tightly around a single original IP and then neglects to retain ownership of every bit of that IP that they rely on? At least with licensed music it’s a necessary evil, are we about to learn that Milli could pull their existing music from everything PM makes if they wanted to, too?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

WonderLab was very early on so I'm assuming they just didn't think of it at the time. They probably own the rights to everything else, given most of it's been referenced before.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

that said i think we can agree this was all much easier than just letting some dudes on the internet stew for a couple of months

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Junpei posted:

Wait does PM not own Servant of Wrath, Scaredy Cat and The Road Home, then?

yeah i assumed that PM designed those in the first place

management continues to be a shitshow as always

e: no idea why the artist wanted the comic taken down, i assume it's a money thing. but lol that pm didn't bother securing the rights to abnos from the comic that they comissioned

KobunFan posted:

they are still making a large amount of money

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 07:27 on Aug 16, 2023

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

The time has come. Soon, the bell shall ring. A new world will come. Rise, my servants. Rise and serve me. I am death and life. Darkness and light.

Yinlock posted:

e: no idea why the artist wanted the comic taken down, i assume it's a money thing. but lol that pm didn't bother securing the rights to abnos from the comic that they comissioned

The last two times they considered removing it, if twitter sources are to be believed, are, respectively:

-people drawing NSFW of characters in it, she asked them to cut it out, they did it more, decided not to go through with it. at least one of the characters was servant of wrath so uh. kinda sketch!! also there's whispers of poo poo about her linking a pixiv that was doing it and recommending it be reported? idk I wasn't there for this one but it sounds like internet drama. edit: It is a level beyond internet drama. I wouldn't go looking for the details on this one, mimi did nothing wrong.

-that time project moon took the wonderlab setting and used it for HHPP cafe, and the artist (who has the copyright on everything that isnt an Oz or Magical Girl abno, mind you!) didn't know about it at all 'til the cafe contacted her to ask about it

This time I think she just got sick of being associated with them amidst the.... all of it, and went through with it.

TeeQueue fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Aug 16, 2023

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

yeah it sounded like hearing the leviathan author talk about the lovely time they had dealing with PM during that serialization, and some assorted stories about PMs rough dealing with some of the localization teams pushed them to really go through with it this time

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

The lovely work conditions, crunch and general HR-sphere mismanagement I get - it's endemic to the industry (and goes without saying, bad). But how do you gently caress up ensuring you have the rights to material used to expand a setting you've devoted your entire studio, across multiple games, to exploring?

It's like that whole malice/incompetence thing, only here they've managed to do both, lol.

KazigluBey fucked around with this message at 09:08 on Aug 16, 2023

Ariamaki
Jun 30, 2011

"I'm the most powerful
search engine in the world!"
-- The GoogleProg

TeeQueue posted:

This time I think she just got sick of being associated with them amidst the.... all of it, and went through with it.

Looking at her social media she actually went off on a bunch of tirades yelling at artists in the past two days and was generally being pretty rough during it. This removal seems to have less to do with Project Moon and more to do with the artist's personal dislike of people doing NSFW fanart.

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

The time has come. Soon, the bell shall ring. A new world will come. Rise, my servants. Rise and serve me. I am death and life. Darkness and light.
I feel moderately ok in assuming that it's related to the 'everything' tbh.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?

TeeQueue posted:

I mean they’ve pissed off labor unions, their employees, most of their fandom, and the government. What’s copyright law while they’re at it?

L.U.I.G.I
Apr 19, 2023

i cant believe i was the useless piece of shit who managed to rig all the Library of Ruina LP thread polls and all i got was this account and shitty avatar.

pls say hi and heckle me

The fact it's happening Day 1 is much more ironic

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

TeeQueue posted:

The last two times they considered removing it, if twitter sources are to be believed, are, respectively:

-people drawing NSFW of characters in it, she asked them to cut it out, they did it more, decided not to go through with it. at least one of the characters was servant of wrath so uh. kinda sketch!! also there's whispers of poo poo about her linking a pixiv that was doing it and recommending it be reported? idk I wasn't there for this one but it sounds like internet drama. edit: It is a level beyond internet drama. I wouldn't go looking for the details on this one, mimi did nothing wrong.

-that time project moon took the wonderlab setting and used it for HHPP cafe, and the artist (who has the copyright on everything that isnt an Oz or Magical Girl abno, mind you!) didn't know about it at all 'til the cafe contacted her to ask about it

Yeah, I figured Servant of Wrath and the Oz abnos had been PM designed given they're part of groups PM partially implemented in Lobotomy Corporation and iirc wanted to have the full groups in but it wasn't viable. I understand PM not securing the rights to everything else given I don't think they actually expected Lobotomy Corporation to get as popular as it ended up being and to end up in a position where they could/wanted to use other characters. But like, the solution to that is not to use the other characters. Aberrations and EGO Corrosion are their concepts, but don't use any of the Aberrations Mimi designed, and don't use any of the Abnos she designed either, and don't use the employee characters she designed. It should have been that simple.

Not asking for permission before using Wonderlab as a HHPP theme is a total clown move. The first issue the artist had (and I believe you it was serious) sounds less like something PM has control of, there's sketchy people in every fandom, but the second thing is something that's entirely on PM and never should have happened in the first place. I google translated the artist's tweets to get the gist of them although obviously that's going to be vague as hell, and it kind of sounded like mimi had hesitated to pull the trigger on requesting Wonderlab be removed because there's a lot of fans of Wonderlab specifically, but that this latest situation was just too far? Obviously I could be interpreting that completely wrong given I used machine translation and don't actually speak Korean, but it makes sense.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Ariamaki posted:

Looking at her social media she actually went off on a bunch of tirades yelling at artists in the past two days and was generally being pretty rough during it. This removal seems to have less to do with Project Moon and more to do with the artist's personal dislike of people doing NSFW fanart.
That sounds pretty awkward for everyone, given I'd guess most NSFW artists don't want people that don't want to see NSFW art to be seeking it out, especially the creators of characters. Still, I'm not sure I'd assume her serious dislike for Wonderlab NSFW is the driving factor, but one frustration among many and the one she feels the most able to publicly call out. Just because it's what she's been most reactive about publicly recently doesn't mean it's the only thing upsetting her.

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.
What kind of clown company doesn't own their official webcomic lmao

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

PetraCore posted:

That sounds pretty awkward for everyone, given I'd guess most NSFW artists don't want people that don't want to see NSFW art to be seeking it out, especially the creators of characters. Still, I'm not sure I'd assume her serious dislike for Wonderlab NSFW is the driving factor, but one frustration among many and the one she feels the most able to publicly call out. Just because it's what she's been most reactive about publicly recently doesn't mean it's the only thing upsetting her.
Yeah, I looked up more and while my position is still 'nsfw fandom should be able to be a thing that is purposefully kept from intersecting with the people who don't want to see that, including authors and creators', the stuff that's upsetting mimi seems like stuff that it's reasonable to be upset about.

YES bread
Jun 16, 2006
i think its good that the creator retained rights over the comic, frankly

L.U.I.G.I
Apr 19, 2023

pls say hi and heckle me

PetraCore posted:

I think the problem she had with NSFW content of WonderLab is that it was from Servant of Wrath specifically.

She said she designed the abno as a child.

Of course, the group who made the art (4Chan) decided to continue, which infuriated the artist.

e: My source is KiwiFarm (Which I didn't not know the reputation of when I stumble into the site. I later deleted my history and blocked the site after 2 minute on their wikipedia page) but this does seem to be typical 4-Chan behavior. Still, take this with a grain of salt.

L.U.I.G.I fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Aug 16, 2023

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

L.U.I.G.I posted:

I think the problem she had with NSFW content of WonderLab is that it was from Servant of Wrath specifically.

She said she designed the abno as a child.

Of course, the group who made the art (4Chan) decided to continue, which infuriated the artist.

e: My source is KiwiFarm (Which I didn't not know the reputation of when I stumble into the site. I later deleted my history and blocked the site after 2 minute on their wikipedia page) but this does seem to be typical 4-Chan behavior. Still, take this with a grain of salt.
Yeah, and also a lot of my interactions with nsfw fandom has been with people that absolutely do not want to harass creators or draw attention of people that don't want to see/read it to the nsfw stuff, but it sounds like the people in this case have been escalating and harassing mimi, as well as spreading rumors she tried to doxx people, which doesn't seem to be true. Given the cartoony nature of abnormalities, I disagree that anyone doing nsfw of, say, Servant of Wrath is specifically seeing her as a child, but I also don't see that as a hill to die on. It's upsetting that people seem to be trying to twist the narrative into mimi being reactive and unstable when we're just seeing her reactions to what sounds like years of harassment over this.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Like, I never interpreted Servant of Wrath as a child bc all the other magical girls seem young but definitely adults to me, I thought her personal stylization just trended towards being cartoonishly stubby like certain adult Steven Universe characters. But I'm not defending what seems to have happened here at all.

CommunityEdition
May 1, 2009
I mean, the motif of trusting a friendly stranger to a bad end certainly has connotations.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

CommunityEdition posted:

I mean, the motif of trusting a friendly stranger to a bad end certainly has connotations.
Yeah, some of the motifs going on there certainly make a lot more sense now that I know Mimi was writing her as a child. It just genuinely never crossed my mind.

L.U.I.G.I
Apr 19, 2023

pls say hi and heckle me
I know the situation for PM is dire and they have hosed up badly but I am happy to announce that that little bitch of a bird is no more.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-JRvtsDANLw

000 W Corp Ryoshu and 00 W Corp Hong Lu.

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...We danced the Mamushka while Nero fiddled, we danced the Mamushka at Waterloo. We danced the Mamushka for Jack the Ripper, and now, Fester Addams, this Mamushka is for you....

GilliamYaeger posted:

My favorite bit is how even the cigarette has that blue W Corp glow to it

lyoid10
Jul 19, 2022
Do you think we wpuld get the wonderlab abnormalitirs

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

GilliamYaeger posted:

of course ryoshu is into it

Her coin loadout seems to be 2-3-4 which is good(s1 has 3 hits but the first two being so connected makes me think it's just a multihit coin) and we are loving starving for (good)offensive slash IDs. Of course charge IDs are all about Numbers so it's gonna be hard to tell anything she can do until she's out

Hong Lu having actual synergy with Dimension Shredder seems like it could be fun if his numbers aren't crap. He is notably using the same weapon as that EGO, just cleaner and working properly

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Ryoshu is so comedically ultraviolent that when Shrenne got Shrenne'd I immediately assumed Ryoshu had gotten bored and done it before realizing what actually happened, even knowing that Ryoshu prefers leaving heads intact.

Numbus26
Jun 23, 2023

GilliamYaeger posted:

I wonder what terrible and tragic event caused Ryoshu to get into e-cigarettes.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Numbus26 posted:

I wonder what terrible and tragic event caused Ryoshu to get into e-cigarettes.
A terrible feudal lord burned her traditional cigarettes in a carriage.

Probe 17
Jul 27, 2014

Red Rain is coming down

Red Rain

PetraCore posted:

A terrible feudal lord burned her traditional cigarettes in a carriage.

"Also your daughter was in there, I think"

MetaMeme
Apr 30, 2017

You may boorishly refer to it as "Pickpocketing", but I prefer "Urban Foraging".

Endorph posted:

that said i think we can agree this was all much easier than just letting some dudes on the internet stew for a couple of months

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Probe 17 posted:

"Also your daughter was in there, I think"
Naw, pretty sure that was just a monkey, it's fine.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

I was so worried about prepping enough for Dongbaek's Spicebush EGO fight, and not for no reason, but the one I managed to win on was like. A perfect slam dunk. W Corp Don Quixote did 200 damage in one hit. Kurokumo Hong Lu still managed to do the most damage, because Ryoshu kept inflicting slash fragility. I didn't lose a clash once. It's a great fight that can spiral very very quickly if you misstep or get unlucky, but man, that was beautiful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

PetraCore posted:

I was so worried about prepping enough for Dongbaek's Spicebush EGO fight, and not for no reason, but the one I managed to win on was like. A perfect slam dunk. W Corp Don Quixote did 200 damage in one hit. Kurokumo Hong Lu still managed to do the most damage, because Ryoshu kept inflicting slash fragility. I didn't lose a clash once. It's a great fight that can spiral very very quickly if you misstep or get unlucky, but man, that was beautiful.

Ch. 4's major story bosses are mostly about punishing you for trying to ignore their gimmicks and focus them down, they're not TOO threatening if you play along(e: and you're leveled and such ofc)

I mean you can still damage rush them but you gotta REALLY go for it or they'll murder you

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Aug 21, 2023