Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rkd_
Aug 25, 2022
I agree, I mostly stuck with it because people said it had important character development/backstory but to be honest I would've been fine not knowing any of it except maybe the final cutscenes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

i was mostly okay with the slog of ARR, but the thing with me was that this was the first time (after my extremely thin mmo experience of a couple attempts at warcraft and a little bit of time in guild wars 2) where no matter how inane the plot might be, i was actually getting the plot, instead of hoping that the sidequests i did panned out into something i could follow or warcraft's stupid thing of not letting you play through years of plot and then acting like I'm supposed to know who the gently caress this guy who died dramatically in front of me even is - or worse, putting the actual expansion plot behind mythics and months of gear grind to even get to see the plot you paid to see

so i was willing to put up with a lot more than a sensible, experienced player might

is demon being abrasive about it? sure. is there a payoff coming? sure. do they still need to winnow out a whole shitload more redundancy in ARR questing? yes.

i imagine part of it is that because it's the old voice cast, they can't record new lines or combined scenes to condense poo poo down more cleanly

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

hexwren posted:

i was mostly okay with the slog of ARR, but the thing with me was that this was the first time (after my extremely thin mmo experience of a couple attempts at warcraft and a little bit of time in guild wars 2) where no matter how inane the plot might be, i was actually getting the plot, instead of hoping that the sidequests i did panned out into something i could follow or warcraft's stupid thing of not letting you play through years of plot and then acting like I'm supposed to know who the gently caress this guy who died dramatically in front of me even is - or worse, putting the actual expansion plot behind mythics and months of gear grind to even get to see the plot you paid to see

so i was willing to put up with a lot more than a sensible, experienced player might

is demon being abrasive about it? sure. is there a payoff coming? sure. do they still need to winnow out a whole shitload more redundancy in ARR questing? yes.

i imagine part of it is that because it's the old voice cast, they can't record new lines or combined scenes to condense poo poo down more cleanly

I am in general agreement with this. I generally like having a story throughline to follow so XIV was a breath of fresh air to me compared to WoW but I have an insane tolerance to inane bullshit in games and even then I still get pissed off at the corrupted crystals segment when I think about it. I didn't mind 2.x as much but that's mostly because I thought the primal fights in there were rad (love ya Leviathan) and worth trundling through the rest of the questing. I don't think anything that TLD is saying is particularly wrong, bit harsh in tone but not wrong.

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020
I literally haven't posted in weeks and the game is a loving slog in this part so I felt it apt, the crybabies and dick riders of this game can just ignore a new player giving his experience if it bothers them that much to see a string of posts every few weeks

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

I hope you keep posting TLD, it's refreshing to see a new player's take on this game that isn't buried under :decorum:

I love this game, but boy does a large contingent of the playerbase take any criticism of it like a personal insult.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

That Little Demon posted:

I literally haven't posted in weeks and the game is a loving slog in this part so I felt it apt, the crybabies and dick riders of this game can just ignore a new player giving his experience if it bothers them that much to see a string of posts every few weeks

hmm why do I think you’re trolling I just can’t figure it out. It must be because I like ARR which is a solidly mid story or something.

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020

hopeandjoy posted:

hmm why do I think you’re trolling I just can’t figure it out. It must be because I like ARR which is a solidly mid story or something.

the truth hurts, and it isn't trolling even if its coming from one of the best to do it homie

Like Clockwork
Feb 17, 2012

It's only the Final Battle once all the players are ready.

If you're being made super miserable by ARR and it's impacting your enjoyment of the game, you stop playing (many do this), stop posting to mash through 2.x being a slog faster, or you get the drat skip. You don't post through it and throw a tantrum at anyone who tells you to just get the skip if you're that miserable about it and don't want to quit.

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020
I don't know why you think its a tantrum, I'm simply explaining what the game is having me do...? :confused:

tawal
Feb 7, 2012

is it high effort or low effort trolling if you're saying you don't like a characteristic of a thing? I'm not sure. ARR is bad (to me) because of its pacing (I think) and the storytelling isn't even that great (to me). the voice acting is bad sure but that isn't the thing holding it back imo. everything post-crystal tower to about the middle of heavensward suffers from a lot of the same things. oh also stormblood. lol @ the idea that this version of tld being thorny or difficult or harsh or whatever also. he's a real Motherfucker but not here.

tawal fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Aug 17, 2023

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020
Important:

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

I don't mind the tedious posting about the 2.x expansions because tbf that is a tedious portion of the game. however I do take issue with the repeated calls to exterminate the lalafell race? wtf

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
I just like 2.x cause it does a lot more interesting worldbuilding compared to 2.0, and has cooler primal fights. But I'd also have to include all the side-content in there since they do exist to break up the lagging parts of 2.x's MSQ, which newer players would be more inclined to skip outside of Crystal Tower being now required. Like dungeon quality aside, the song slapped so I still had good feelings about this set of dungeons even though revisiting them now, a lot of their mechanics are pretty clunky and obtuse.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Rr_MI27g9Y

reversefungi
Nov 27, 2003

Master of the high hat!
It's not hard to imagine ARR as a sort of rite of passage, a make-or-break thing so that those of us that go through it are pretty attached to the game and story (this is me), but for everyone one of those people there are tons of others who burned out through ARR. There's also plenty of people apparently that just ignored/skipped the story entirely, and are pretty happy with everything else the game offers, which is fine. There's a gently caress ton of things to do in this game, it's pretty staggering!

If you don't like the story, that's fine, it's a bit of a bummer to hear that personally because I found the story incredibly moving in the expansions (hell even StB made me cry for a brief moment) and I felt like the ridiculous ARR slog was ultimately worth it. But, everyone has different tastes/tolerances and some folks are going to find ARR unbearable which is entirely reasonable. Personally, I didn't hate ARR (or StB!) but I'm also easy to please :shrug:

Also on that note, I finally made it to EW today and lost my sprout status :shobon: Probably should start showing myself out of this thread...

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020

God Hole posted:

I don't mind the tedious posting about the 2.x expansions because tbf that is a tedious portion of the game. however I do take issue with the repeated calls to exterminate the lalafell race? wtf

They are probably one of the all time worst races I’ve ever seen in an MMO lol, which isn’t helped by how frequently they are like, leaders in the game, or big villains…. It is just so unbelievable lol. They look like loving children. At least with gnomes and halfings or dwarves they all look like old men and not… kids??

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020

reversefungi posted:

It's not hard to imagine ARR as a sort of rite of passage, a make-or-break thing so that those of us that go through it are pretty attached to the game and story (this is me), but for everyone one of those people there are tons of others who burned out through ARR. There's also plenty of people apparently that just ignored/skipped the story entirely, and are pretty happy with everything else the game offers, which is fine. There's a gently caress ton of things to do in this game, it's pretty staggering!

If you don't like the story, that's fine, it's a bit of a bummer to hear that personally because I found the story incredibly moving in the expansions (hell even StB made me cry for a brief moment) and I felt like the ridiculous ARR slog was ultimately worth it. But, everyone has different tastes/tolerances and some folks are going to find ARR unbearable which is entirely reasonable. Personally, I didn't hate ARR (or StB!) but I'm also easy to please :shrug:

Also on that note, I finally made it to EW today and lost my sprout status :shobon: Probably should start showing myself out of this thread...

When the story is good, it’s good so far from what I’ve seen, and I’ve listed the examples so far but crystal tower, coil, and hildebrand being standouts. The actual meat and potatoes of it though, it’s like… I don’t want to delivery uniforms to new recruits at level 56. This is a lalafel job who sits behind a counter and does nothing at the base, or the other 20 scions doing nothing. The warrior of light shouldn’t be doing grunt work at this point which is why the disconnect is felt more. It’s padding for time, and not even good padding because at this point I should be doing more grandiose things or even more intriguing things… than deliver uniforms to some red shirts that will probably be blown up by a level 5 bunny or something

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

They are probably one of the all time worst races I’ve ever seen in an MMO lol, which isn’t helped by how frequently they are like, leaders in the game, or big villains…. It is just so unbelievable lol. They look like loving children. At least with gnomes and halfings or dwarves they all look like old men and not… kids??

That’s nice but lay off the edgy nazi jokes, this isn’t 4chan.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

reversefungi
Nov 27, 2003

Master of the high hat!
I think they a good job of dramatically bringing down those inane fetch quests in the expansions, but it's not an immediate jump, more of a noticeable decline that keeps getting better and better. The devs are fully aware that this is a problem and the MSQ gets pretty hilariously self aware at times. Like someone alluded to earlier (won't spoiler and keep this super vague), there's a moment in ShB where one NPC goes "ok I'm gonna need 3 bear asses from these three parts of the world" and I was starting to groan, worrying about was coming. One of the other NPCs immediately responds with "how about you just chill while I handle this because this is obviously a horrendous waste of time for someone like you that could be doing actual hero poo poo". I like to think of all those moments as apologies from the team for having you bear through all those absurd fetch quests, and there's something about that level of self-awareness that made the game extra-endearing to me personally.

I think if you liked Coils/CT/Hildibrand you can reasonably expect to like HW and beyond! Also, what job(s) have you been leveling? There are some flat out horrendous job quests story lines. I think I was lucky that I muscled through playing DRG which, while leveling wise is honestly pretty rough, story-wise it introduces a main character in HW, which helped me build some excitement as I got closer and closer to HW.

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020

Ojjeorago posted:

Excuse me? Jesus loving Christ what the gently caress is wrong with you????

tawal
Feb 7, 2012

Ojjeorago posted:

Hmph! How very glib.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

tawal posted:

Hmph! How very glib.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Powering through the game just for the supreme height of comedy that is Endwalker Hildibrand is worth it IMO. Genuinely funniest piece of media I've seen in 2023.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
I mean there's not much to say about ARR's post game that hasn't already been said.

CBU3 could really use a patch cycle or two to get everything down to a somewhat sane amount of work now XIV is 4-some years clear of 1.x's shadow and also clear of each of 2.x's patches needing to keep players doing content for months on end lest they wonder off and/or go back to Azeroth.

That and make ARR Normal Raid series in line with the rest of the game's because there's a lot of context for Alphinaid and Alisaie's character that is lost on most players by that being Savage tier when it really shouldn't be at this point.

That said, the idea of a "open all rp places" jump potion hadn't crossed my mind and its kinda a revelation for me.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Aug 17, 2023

Trash Ops
Jun 19, 2012

im having fun, isnt everyone else?

Ojjeorago posted:

:dafuq:

Ibblebibble posted:

Powering through the game just for the supreme height of comedy that is Endwalker Hildibrand is worth it IMO. Genuinely funniest piece of media I've seen in 2023.

hildibrand is fun as hell but please consume more media

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

It would be awesome to play as like the empire in this game lol

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
did omega 3.0 unsynced with the sge tonight and tbh glad i did it that way. there is a LOT of hopping around on that one!

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
I played the entirety of 2.0 twice. Back when the game came out and then I lost my login info and made a new account several years later and did it again and stopped for a few years again.

Now I picked up where I left off and currently playing HW. Yes it's kinda insane. It took me probably a month (one sub) to do 2.0 again playing couple hours a day and ignoring most of the sidestuff.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Trash Ops posted:

hildibrand is fun as hell but please consume more media

hosed up that you would say such a thing to me

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020

Yes, it WOULD be awesome to play as the bad guys in an MMO or have the choice to, I agree with myself!

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020
Oh my loving god... you REALLY want to play as the EMPIRE in STAR WARS?! you absolute nazi loving CHUD

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ojjeorago posted:

That's nowhere near an edgy nazi joke you weird rear end freak

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

have you never played Baldurs Gate, Pathfinder, Cyberpunk, WoW, SWTOR, SWKOTOR, EVE, or like any of the other of dozens of games you can play an "evil character"? lmao, Jesus christ

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

Disco is not dead! Disco is LIFE!

I think two things can be true at once:

1. TLD is broadly correct in most of their points re. ARR MSQ
2. TLD's posts are generally quite annoying.

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020

Mainwaring posted:

I think two things can be true at once:

1. TLD is broadly correct in most of their points re. ARR MSQ
2. TLD's posts are generally quite annoying.

bruh you have people here "nuh actually the twins are 17 not 10!" in this thread and saying thinking comically evil people would be fun to play as and RP as is nazi and chuddy, and somehow... I AM THE ANNOYING ONE?!

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

Disco is not dead! Disco is LIFE!

bruh you have people here "nuh actually the twins are 17 not 10!" in this thread and saying thinking comically evil people would be fun to play as and RP as is nazi and chuddy, and somehow... I AM THE ANNOYING ONE?!

Plenty of annoying posters in the FFXIV threads

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

There's definitely a vocal subset of weird Garlean supremacist RPers who do stuff like modding in SS armbands and talk about gassing the catgirls but I assume that they're not the majority of Garlean RPers who just want to be Garlean soldier #1423434 for a lark, and even they're a general minority in the RP sphere.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Serious question though does the game have tank armour similar to Judges from FFXII?

I always thought those looked really sick and the bad guys from 2.0 had a similar style.

Like Clockwork
Feb 17, 2012

It's only the Final Battle once all the players are ready.

Ibblebibble posted:

There's definitely a vocal subset of weird Garlean supremacist RPers who do stuff like modding in SS armbands and talk about gassing the catgirls but I assume that they're not the majority of Garlean RPers who just want to be Garlean soldier #1423434 for a lark, and even they're a general minority in the RP sphere.

This is the playerbase that needed to have an expansion that was dedicated to The Empire Is The Baddies You Stupid Fucks so I don't think I would trust Garlean soldier #73636262 RPers to not be fash unfortunately

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020

Like Clockwork posted:

This is the playerbase that needed to have an expansion that was dedicated to The Empire Is The Baddies You Stupid Fucks so I don't think I would trust Garlean soldier #73636262 RPers to not be fash unfortunately

Oh word?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trash Ops
Jun 19, 2012

im having fun, isnt everyone else?

WaltherFeng posted:

Serious question though does the game have tank armour similar to Judges from FFXII?

I always thought those looked really sick and the bad guys from 2.0 had a similar style.

yes and you can even get them f2p via pvp, but they're a bit more animalistic