Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Franchescanado posted:

Can I get some recommendations for short horror games, preferably affordable or free on Steam or itch.io?

My buddies have gotten into Hollow's horror game Let's Plays on YouTube and they want to play through some shorter games when we hang out.

I've got the Dread X collections, and I grabbed a few on itch.io (or some that I had from bundles): Back To Bed, Mannequin, Wrong Floor, Babysitter Bloodbath, The Red Door, Cardiac, stuff like that.

I think my friends find first person POV scarier, but it's not mandatory, as long as it's actually scary rather than spooky and somber.

World of Horror

not first person

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chatrapati
Nov 6, 2012
The last horror game I played through was Alone in the Dark (and also Jack in the Dark which came with it), and I want to play another spooky game where you explore a haunted house. I tried playing one of the Resident Evil games a few years ago and it was awful, there was no exploration at all and you just seemed to fly around doing crazy martial arts. I haven't played any other horror games.

I want to explore a haunted house and solve its mysteries while also feeling tense because there might be ghosts or ghouls around the corner. My favourite moments in Alone in the Dark were when I solved a puzzle or managed to circumnavigate an enemy that would otherwise frighten me. I did not like being able to use up items that were necessary for later puzzles, making the game unsolvable or way too difficult. I also don't care much for fighting bad guys without there being a puzzle element to it, in fact I sort of feel like being able to defeat bad guys at all through conventional means sort of cheapens the experience.

Is there another good haunted house game? It's possible I'm looking back on this game with rose-tinted glasses, but I really just want to have the same sorts of feelings that this game provoked. Creaky floorboards and rocking rocking-chairs with no one sitting in them are a plus!

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Chatrapati posted:

The last horror game I played through was Alone in the Dark (and also Jack in the Dark which came with it), and I want to play another spooky game where you explore a haunted house. I tried playing one of the Resident Evil games a few years ago and it was awful, there was no exploration at all and you just seemed to fly around doing crazy martial arts. I haven't played any other horror games.

I want to explore a haunted house and solve its mysteries while also feeling tense because there might be ghosts or ghouls around the corner. My favourite moments in Alone in the Dark were when I solved a puzzle or managed to circumnavigate an enemy that would otherwise frighten me. I did not like being able to use up items that were necessary for later puzzles, making the game unsolvable or way too difficult. I also don't care much for fighting bad guys without there being a puzzle element to it, in fact I sort of feel like being able to defeat bad guys at all through conventional means sort of cheapens the experience.

Is there another good haunted house game? It's possible I'm looking back on this game with rose-tinted glasses, but I really just want to have the same sorts of feelings that this game provoked. Creaky floorboards and rocking rocking-chairs with no one sitting in them are a plus!

I'd say give the Resident Evil series another shot, the thing is that the games vary pretty wildly depending on what "era" it was in, where RE 1-3 were a lot more of the kind of exploration focused kind of thing you're looking for (3 is a bit on the line but still closer to 1-2 than it is to 4), while 4-6 were more along the lines of horror-themed action games (it sounds like you might have played one of those), and then 7-8 being a bit of a hybrid of the original style with more modern first person horror like Amnesia or Outlast. I'd particularly recommend the RE1 Remake for the purest old school horror "haunted house" experience.

The Cheshire Cat fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Aug 17, 2023

Your Uncle Dracula
Apr 16, 2023
Anatomy still the best for haunted house first person creep even if it's more about the house than the haunting.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Chatrapati posted:

If you're cool with emulation, the first Fatal Frame is a pretty alright haunted house game.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

All the Fatal Frame games are a good time (except maybe 5). 1 is about exploring a haunted mansion, 2 is about exploring a haunted village, 3 is about exploring a haunted shared dreamscape of multiple people, 4 is about exploring a haunted hospital and 5 is about exploring a haunted mountain filled with really horny ghosts.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Mr. Fortitude posted:

All the Fatal Frame games are a good time (except maybe 5). 1 is about exploring a haunted mansion, 2 is about exploring a haunted village, 3 is about exploring a haunted shared dreamscape of multiple people, 4 is about exploring a haunted hospital and 5 is about exploring a haunted mountain filled with really horny ghosts.

one of these is unlike the others...

why would anybody haunt a hospital?

Your Uncle Dracula
Apr 16, 2023
Many people die in hospital.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I don't remember the ghosts in 5 being any more horny than the other games.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Ghost blowjob woo woo

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
My impression from outside was that after Fatal Frame 2, the series got increasingly constrained and derivative in various ways. My impression of Fatal Frame 2 (which I only got a little ways into) was that I could see the entire arc of the game and all the endings from about 15 minutes of play. Fatal Frame 1 kicked rear end.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Nuebot posted:

If you're cool with emulation, the first Fatal Frame is a pretty alright haunted house game.

What runs better, the Xbox or PS2 version?

0 rows returned
Apr 9, 2007

i could never really get into the fatal frame series because the harsh divide between actually spooky stuff and pulling up your camera to take a wicked +10000 point GREAT SHOT always annoyed me

Chatrapati
Nov 6, 2012
Just skipped around a let's play of Fatal Frame and it looks like what I am looking for! I'm quite excited. I've read that the English voice acting is grating, so I found a patcher that reverts it to the original, which I hope I don't regret. The game looks seriously scary.

Also checked out Anatomy which does look good, but from what little I saw, the puzzles are just mazes, which isn't what I want at the moment.

I might give Resident Evil another go. From looking around at the series entries I think I didn't actually play one of the mainline games but one of the spin-offs.

For anyone willing to give Alone in the Dark a go, I would suggest playing Jack in the Dark first as the puzzles are much simpler, the gameplay is more fun, and the game itself is very short. I'm not sure I could recommend either game though, as the enemies that I found scary as a child, just seem kind of goofy now (this is a screenshot of one of the foes that frightened me the most), but I remember the puzzles being satisfying, and exploring the house is tense enough just because of the sound effects.

0 rows returned posted:

i could never really get into the fatal frame series because the harsh divide between actually spooky stuff and pulling up your camera to take a wicked +10000 point GREAT SHOT always annoyed me

Yeah, that does seem offputting. The rest of it looks good though.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

0 rows returned posted:

Sounds like someone never had to fight those loving monks from the first game

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Tired Moritz posted:

Ghost blowjob woo woo

You're thinking of Ghostbusters

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
Chatrapati: I posted this earlier in the thread, but you should definitely take a look at this: https://www.humblebundle.com/games/resident-evil-decades-horror-village-edition

Even the cheapest tier of that bundle includes REmake, which I think might be right up your alley.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Chatrapati posted:

For anyone willing to give Alone in the Dark a go, I would suggest playing Jack in the Dark first as the puzzles are much simpler, the gameplay is more fun, and the game itself is very short. I'm not sure I could recommend either game though, as the enemies that I found scary as a child, just seem kind of goofy now (this is a screenshot of one of the foes that frightened me the most), but I remember the puzzles being satisfying, and exploring the house is tense enough just because of the sound effects.

I remember playing Alone in the Dark when I was younger and being freaked out by it, but also having no idea what I was supposed to do or where I was supposed to go. It's interesting to watch retrospectives for it, seeing as how it essentially created a new sub-genre of third-person survival horror while revolutionizing it with new tech never before seen. It's easy to see it as antiquated but back in the day it was incredible.

VERY COOL MAN
Jun 24, 2011

THESE PACKETS ARE... SUMMARILY DEALT WITH

Your Uncle Dracula posted:

Anatomy still the best for haunted house first person creep even if it's more about the house than the haunting.

this game changed my life, its short & its $3 & it was made pretty much entirely by one woman. strong recommend

Chatrapati
Nov 6, 2012

Instant Grat posted:

Chatrapati: I posted this earlier in the thread, but you should definitely take a look at this: https://www.humblebundle.com/games/resident-evil-decades-horror-village-edition

Even the cheapest tier of that bundle includes REmake, which I think might be right up your alley.

Thanks, I didn't catch that the first time you posted it. Just bought the cheapest bundle and I'll try out the first game after I'm done with Fatal Frame. I really don't know which Resident Evil I played, but after hearing how good the series was, it upset me with how bad it was, there was literally a linear path to follow, and even places which looked like they could be explored, couldn't be. The enemies weren't scary at all, and the characters moved like action movie stars rather than folks fearful of the surrounding evil.

I've started playing Fatal Frame, which has already made me gasp and close my eyes just in the tutorial, I am sure it's only going to get spookier! I love the atmosphere, and the notes your character keeps in their dossier are great. The cinematics I am not keen on, since they remove your control, but they haven't been too egregious. I suck at the ghost capture mini-game and am almost certain I'm going to have to reload back to the start at some point for the sake of conserving medicine.

Morpheus posted:

I remember playing Alone in the Dark when I was younger and being freaked out by it, but also having no idea what I was supposed to do or where I was supposed to go. It's interesting to watch retrospectives for it, seeing as how it essentially created a new sub-genre of third-person survival horror while revolutionizing it with new tech never before seen. It's easy to see it as antiquated but back in the day it was incredible.

I played it with the kids on my street, so there were 3-4 people (including older kids) helping out with the puzzles. We got quite far, but I only actually beat the game when I replayed it about a decade ago as an almost fully-grown adult. Some of the puzzles were simply too scary to tackle as a child, like directly going into a room full of ghosts or running away from the purple monster in the library. I feel like the areas that relied upon quick and decisive actions were not as good as the areas the relied upon forethought. I'm glad to hear that it is a game that's fondly remembered, since it still holds a place in my aged heart. :zombie:

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

ngl it sounds like you started with RE 4, 5, or 6 (or the remake of 3) and yeah lol those are the action entries of the series.

Remake of 2 would be more your speed, 7 and 8 too. RE games do fundamentally incorporate some action and fighting back though so fair warning.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

Chatrapati posted:

I really don't know which Resident Evil I played, but after hearing how good the series was, it upset me with how bad it was, there was literally a linear path to follow, and even places which looked like they could be explored, couldn't be. The enemies weren't scary at all, and the characters moved like action movie stars rather than folks fearful of the surrounding evil.

5 or 6, probably.

Resident Evil has reinvented itself a fair few times now. From fixed-camera survival horror with a focus on resource/inventory management, avoiding combat, and really campy dialogue, to third-person action shooters gradually becoming poo poo Call Of Duty With Zombies, to tight, claustrophic first-person hidey stealthy "oh god oh gently caress oh poo poo" horror, with a bunch of spinoffs sprinkled in between that each had their own things going.

I remember hearing some internet reviewer quipping that Capcom has a policy in place that states "If Resident Evil becomes crap again, give up and do something else"

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I dunno, RE8 in particular seems like one of the most action-y of all, they basically tightened up the gunplay from 7 so they could throw tons more enemies at you. Which I personally loved, it's just not one I'd recommend if you're not in love with the cheesy action movie side to the series.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
Totally possible - that's the last stop on my Resident Evil safari that I haven't gotten to yet. Just finished 7 last night . Gonna check out the DLCs on that one and then finally head off to see the hot vampire lady.

Might go back and try the fan remasters of 2 and 3 sometime down the line, since I only played the remakes of those, which I understand to be VERY different experiences to the originals. https://www.reshdp.com/

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

So having come off the high that was RE4R, I'm considering jumping into another game along those lines and I saw The Evil Within is on PS+ Extra, which I have for a little while longer. Is it still worth playing these days? fwiw I tried it right when it came out and I remembered being so-so on the combat (I actually found the combination of pretty essential stealth kills and limited ammo to be pretty restricting and stressful, compared to just always feeling like you barely have enough ammo in RE4, for example) and I have very little patience for "run from the unkillable boss" chase segments. How much of the game is that sort of stuff? It seemed heavy on both right at the start but I didn't get far.

I'm mostly interested in the story and the setting, assuming either is good. I actually have TEW 2 because I bought it on extreme sale but I haven't played it yet, so I was thinking of crossing the first one off my list before jumping into it.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

MockingQuantum posted:

The Evil Within

I played TEW as well as the 2 story DLCs and found it to be an absolutely incoherent mess. The village section right at the beginning that feels ripped straight out of RE4 is good, ending with a top-tier open-ended combat encounter, but everything after that is just... bad.

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Instant Grat posted:

I played TEW as well as the 2 story DLCs and found it to be an absolutely incoherent mess. The village section right at the beginning that feels ripped straight out of RE4 is good, ending with a top-tier open-ended combat encounter, but everything after that is just... bad.

If you think TEW is bad then you probably just don't like the genre because it's the most tense and varied version of the game genre.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
The Evil Within games aren't as good overall as RE4 but they're a pretty good time. 2 is better than 1 but jumping directly into 2 would probably be very confusing because basically none of the stuff from 1 is explained, it just assumes you already know all the background necessary and drops you directly into the plot (I feel like you could still probably figure out most of it from context clues but it would be more difficult to understand than it's meant to be). There are a fair number of "unkillable enemy" segments in EW1 but more of the "run around trying to solve some kind of puzzle while a slow monster pursues you" rather than the "linear chase sequence" variety that the game opens with. Not sure if that's better or worse for you. You do also get more ammo later (although you'll never have so much that you feel comfortable) and honestly I think the game actually under-utilizes the stealth mechanics, they mostly disappear after like, the third chapter.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

satanic splash-back posted:

If you think TEW is bad then you probably just don't like the genre because it's the most tense and varied version of the game genre.

Counterpoint: RE4 (original) is my game of the year

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

TEW is an insane mess and as such is worth experiencing however it is also extremely painful to play and occasionally downright antagonistic to the player at times.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

TEW is an insane mess and as such is worth experiencing however it is also extremely painful to play and occasionally downright antagonistic to the player at times.

And this was my feeling when I tried to play it the first time, lol. That was years ago so I was assuming some of that was colored by me being younger and dumber, though.

I may still give it another shot but I think if I hit a point where it's more frustrating than fun I'll just peace out and find a good LP of it or something.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

From what I've heard TEW is a bad game but a good horror experience. I think even having not played it I'd still just recommend watching an LP of it.

TEW2, which I have played is a decent game with a solid horror experience. It also offers you a chance to watch a summery movie of the first game so you won't really miss out on much imo. Worth playing.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
What are people's thoughts on Song of Horror? I watched a half-playthrough of the first chapter before it was released, which ended when the player got a game over due to QTEs being confusing or they sorta just screwed up and, like, jumped out of a window to their death. The atmosphere looked great and the structure of the game tense, though, so I was thinking of checking it out with friends for our weekly game night.

Does it get better/worse? Has it been patched since release?

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
From what I remember from Evil Within, you can actually kill every enemy you see, even the ones that seem like they’re part of a “escape from this guy” sequence. Except for the chainsaw guy at the beginning and Ruvik, those are exceptions

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Theres evil within too

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

CharlestonJew posted:

From what I remember from Evil Within, you can actually kill every enemy you see, even the ones that seem like they’re part of a “escape from this guy” sequence. Except for the chainsaw guy at the beginning and Ruvik, those are exceptions

Yeah there's a lot of enemies in the vein of the super enemies from RE4 where they're tough but killable. In a few cases though I think they will keep infinitely respawning so it ends up being kind of a waste of resources (but there is a delay on the respawn so it might buy you some time if you're struggling to juke them).

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
TEW2 is heaps of fun and one of the better examples of action horror. the first game sucks but in a way you might find entertaining, given how frantically it hops from one derivative and half-finished setpiece to another. it definitely feels like a heap of cutting-floor scraps glued together by the premise

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Evil Within is a better experience than game in some ways. It isn't a power fantasy & horror combination like RE4 is.

The nightmare style environments and jarring gameplay changes between chapters are interesting but probably not fun to the kind of person who wants to only have one kind of gameplay loop for the entire game.

TEW2 greatly improved the gameplay and graphics but the plot, characters, and pretty much everything about the antagonists are worse in every way. And it's really easy and tensionless for a horror game.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

I'll say this, I loved Evil Within by watching an LP of it, not playing it. But I'm usually averse to poo poo with insta-kill stalkers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Tormented Souls for PS5 is $8.

I still need to finish, it's old school RE for sure.