Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MasterBuilder
Sep 30, 2008
Oven Wrangler
Chrome was running like hot garbage on my PC so I started poking around in task manager and noticed I was down 1 stick of ram of Patriot Viper DDR4 4000 (2-3 years old). I popped the case open and first tried reseating (still one). Through trial and error, I found the stick next to the CPU cooler (3) wasn't registering. I moved the stick from slot 1 to 3 and computer booted so I thought I just had a stick die on me. But for completeness I swapped slots and everything booted with 2 stick registering.

So question, is this a "huh I guess it works now" or should I be concerned that either a stick or slot is on its way out?

Edit: \/cool thanks

MasterBuilder fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Aug 5, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

MasterBuilder posted:

Chrome was running like hot garbage on my PC so I started poking around in task manager and noticed I was down 1 stick of ram of Patriot Viper DDR4 4000 (2-3 years old). I popped the case open and first tried reseating (still one). Through trial and error, I found the stick next to the CPU cooler (3) wasn't registering. I moved the stick from slot 1 to 3 and computer booted so I thought I just had a stick die on me. But for completeness I swapped slots and everything booted with 2 stick registering.

So question, is this a "huh I guess it works now" or should I be concerned that either a stick or slot is on its way out?

It is possible that after all the messing around you finally dislodged whatever dust was causing the issue. Carry on unless the problem returns.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

For the record, usually you're supposed to put your ram in slots 2 and 4, not 1 and 3 (counting left to right). I wonder how much this really matters though.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

For the record, usually you're supposed to put your ram in slots 2 and 4, not 1 and 3 (counting left to right). I wonder how much this really matters though.

Depends on the motherboard, T-topology boards it doesn't actually matter because it is the same distance to both banks from the controller. IIRC with the serial topology you want the memory in the further away from the CPU slots because otherwise you get ripples and signal reflection noise from it bouncing off the further away banks that aren't properly terminated, but that is only a problem if you are pushing the limit of overclocking or using really high performance sticks which is essentially the same thing (at normal or more tame rated speeds the memory and controller should for the most part be able to deal with it).

MasterBuilder
Sep 30, 2008
Oven Wrangler
I am trusting my past self that I put the ram in the recommended spots based on the mother board manual.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

MasterBuilder posted:

I am trusting my past self that I put the ram in the recommended spots based on the mother board manual.

It is one of those things where if it works and is hitting the speed you paid for, don't worry about it.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
im convincing my buddy to build a computer instead of buying a gaming laptop, i was thinking / recommending waiting to labor day to maybe get some deals, is there any other reason to wait on building (e.g. new releases im not aware of, havent been paying attention)?

was probably just gonna recommend a variant of https://pcpartpicker.com/guide/kNwrxr/enthusiast-intel-gamingstreaming-build

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Mr. Crow posted:

im convincing my buddy to build a computer instead of buying a gaming laptop, i was thinking / recommending waiting to labor day to maybe get some deals, is there any other reason to wait on building (e.g. new releases im not aware of, havent been paying attention)?

was probably just gonna recommend a variant of https://pcpartpicker.com/guide/kNwrxr/enthusiast-intel-gamingstreaming-build

Does he live near a micro center because they have the legit builds. I’d also recommend posting in the PC building thread.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3970266&perpage=40&pagenumber=1&noseen=1

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

MarcusSA posted:

Does he live near a micro center because they have the legit builds. I’d also recommend posting in the PC building thread.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3970266&perpage=40&pagenumber=1&noseen=1

yeah, if he doesn't want to DIY he can go thru Microcenter and get a real computer already prebuilt or have an employee put one together for him for not much above the cost of parts

if he needs a laptop then he should get a Macbook Air. He could probably get one along with a gaming PC for the combined equivalent cost of a $3k "gaming" laptop

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

MarcusSA posted:

right i forgot that thread existed. i think he does live near one, are you talking a pre-built or just getting the parts / deals from there?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Mr. Crow posted:

right i forgot that thread existed. i think he does live near one, are you talking a pre-built or just getting the parts / deals from there?

Either way honestly.

They have smoking deals on combos that can’t be beat. He could also get the parts and they will put it all together for a decent price as well.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Mr. Crow posted:

Ok Comboomer posted:

yeah, if he doesn't want to DIY he can go thru Microcenter and get a real computer already prebuilt or have an employee put one together for him for not much above the cost of parts

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
Is there a UPS thread? I tried looking but I can't find one. My house has this piece of poo poo Wattbox UPS that turns off a bunch of vital stuff every time the power flickers, and I'm trying to figure out what to replace it with.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker
Cyberpower or APC make reasonably competent units once you get into the proper pure sine wave ones.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

Indiana_Krom posted:

Cyberpower or APC make reasonably competent units once you get into the proper pure sine wave ones.
Does "simulated sine wave" mean the same thing? I'm looking to get one to just plug my modem and router into so that power flickers don't kill our internet. Something like this maybe?

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

What modem and router do you have? Or, if you can check, what voltage and amperage do the power adapters output?

Because if that's all you want to run you can get a UPS that only outputs DC power, basically a glorified USB power bank. Since they don't have to waste any energy running bulky switching circuitry to simulate an AC sine wave the DC only units would have a runtime measured in days vs minutes.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

Oldstench posted:

Does "simulated sine wave" mean the same thing? I'm looking to get one to just plug my modem and router into so that power flickers don't kill our internet. Something like this maybe?
Generally no, the simulated sine wave units still have square waves with a few intermediate steps instead of an actual sine wave and may not play well with all appliances. Generally small wall wart switching power supplies like the type that are used for routers/modems and the like *should* tolerate them, but if you want to be absolutely sure get a pure sine wave unit.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Not hardware related, but I can't find another thread to ask: what're the best free e-mail options kicking around these days?

Action-Bastard
Jan 1, 2008

Idk if there's a better place to ask this, anyways:

I upgraded my PSU late last year. Corsair Rmx850 Gold

It's had some significant coil whine (kinda sounds like a dull grind) when the gpu kicks into high gear when playing something more demanding. (GPU is an MSI 3060 12GB)

I went into MSI Afterburner and messed with some settings. I reduced power to 85% (note, I did not test a higher % I just arbitrarily tried 85%) that's eliminated the coil whine completely.

My question is, is this something wrong with the GPU or the PSU? Is it worth pursuing an RMA? The PSU is under warranty for 10 years

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Action-Bastard posted:

My question is, is this something wrong with the GPU or the PSU? Is it worth pursuing an RMA? The PSU is under warranty for 10 years

Coil whine isn't always hardware related. It could just be lovely mains power.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Incidentally, I also have an RM850x and have also started hearing that same kind of low grinding type of coil whine once I upgraded to a 4090. Though I just assumed it was the 4090 making the sound and not the PSU—I haven't really checked because my computer is in an inconvenient spot to do that while it's running. It's petty quiet and only happens occasionally, so I've just ignored it.

Action-Bastard
Jan 1, 2008

Yeah likewise I would ignore it but when I started Baldurs Gate 3 it became much more prolonged and frequent.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
My PC is connected to a monitor and tv, that I never use simultaneously (I can't see the other when I'm at one). I've found that the ideal set up is to have my monitor disabled in settings. If I do need to use it, I unplug the tv and the monitor automatically turns on (and turns off as soon as the I reconnect the tv).

The alternative of having both on at the same time (extended) is less than ideal because of the tendency of windows to launch on the wrong screen (and plenty of windows aren't movable with the Win+direction key combo). Mirroring doesn't work great either because the resolutions are different.

I'm wondering if there's a more elegant solution (partially because I'm a bit worried about the longevities of the HDMI plug and port). Either a hardware or software one.

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

Rinkles posted:

My PC is connected to a monitor and tv, that I never use simultaneously (I can't see the other when I'm at one). I've found that the ideal set up is to have my monitor disabled in settings. If I do need to use it, I unplug the tv and the monitor automatically turns on (and turns off as soon as the I reconnect the tv).

The alternative of having both on at the same time (extended) is less than ideal because of the tendency of windows to launch on the wrong screen (and plenty of windows aren't movable with the Win+direction key combo). Mirroring doesn't work great either because the resolutions are different.

I'm wondering if there's a more elegant solution (partially because I'm a bit worried about the longevities of the HDMI plug and port). Either a hardware or software one.

I just hit windows + p to select monitor.

My PC is 2 monitors and I have a TV by my bed. When I move between them i go from extended(2 monitors) to second monitor which is my TV.

For just two monitors you can you Primary and Seconday instead of Extended & Second.

Works pretty well until my main PC monitor decides it no longer wants to talk to my PC, about once a week.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Bondematt posted:

My PC is 2 monitors and I have a TV by my bed. When I move between them i go from extended(2 monitors) to second monitor which is my TV.

For just two monitors you can you Primary and Seconday instead of Extended & Second.

Works pretty well until my main PC monitor decides it no longer wants to talk to my PC, about once a week.

I didn't know you could toggle between using two monitors and a third screen.

I used to use that shortcut, but I occasionally had some issues (I don't remember what). But that was a while ago and Windows 10, so maybe it's been fixed whatever it was. Though the nice thing about my current "solution" is that it doesn't require reaching for the keyboard, which I don't always need when using the tv.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

I mean a hardware hdmi splitter will show the same thing on either or both screens, possibly none, without the computer being any the wiser. You lose the extend option that you don't care about. Be careful shopping for those wrt supported hdmi versions, resolutions and refresh rates though.

E: also assume both screens need to be able to support the same resolution and refresh rate for it to work, because the signal will just be cloned.

Flipperwaldt fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Aug 16, 2023

tractor fanatic
Sep 9, 2005

Pillbug
I upgraded my PSU, swapping all of the cables except for a single sata cable powering an ssd, and the PC wouldn't start. I swapped out the sata cable for one that came with the new PSU, and it worked, and the ssd still seems ok. Is this a common thing? I thought those cables were standardized. Are you just not allowed to mix and match?

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

tractor fanatic posted:

I upgraded my PSU, swapping all of the cables except for a single sata cable powering an ssd, and the PC wouldn't start. I swapped out the sata cable for one that came with the new PSU, and it worked, and the ssd still seems ok. Is this a common thing? I thought those cables were standardized. Are you just not allowed to mix and match?

There is no standard for modular psu cables, even within the same brand.

You can only mix and match if the manufacturer has a compatability list.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

tractor fanatic posted:

The pinout of the connector on the device/load side is the only thing that is standardized. Pinouts on the PSU side most definitely are not, and as a result swapping modular cables between models can be risky even for the same OEM. Using the same cables with different OEMs is a bad idea unless you've specifically checked to make sure they are consistent.

I mostly buy Seasonic recently and the last time I checked it seemed like they keep all their models consistent, but no guarantees - it was a while back and I only made sure for the three or so that I own.

Eletriarnation fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Aug 16, 2023

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

tractor fanatic posted:

You got lucky. There's no standardisation for modular psu cables. Only use the cables that come with the psu unless you're absolutely certain of the pinouts.

tractor fanatic
Sep 9, 2005

Pillbug
Thanks. I never realized that, but I guess I've never upgraded a PSU before

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

You are very lucky that your sata drives survived that. There have been goons in the past who have lost all of their drives because they did the same thing as you.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Rinkles posted:

Yeah if you just get an HDMI switch (like a KVM but just for the monitor) you can press the button on the switch to swap between, saving the HDMI port from mechanical stress.

Sorry for full link, phone posting, but something like this from Canadian Amazon: https://a.co/d/iuY8XAi

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS

tractor fanatic posted:

Thanks. I never realized that, but I guess I've never upgraded a PSU before

Yeah, I check ‘em with a DVOM if I have to swap or add a PS cable; half the time they’re wrong and I need to re-pin the connectors. They really should standardize this poo poo.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

VelociBacon posted:

Yeah if you just get an HDMI switch (like a KVM but just for the monitor) you can press the button on the switch to swap between, saving the HDMI port from mechanical stress.

Sorry for full link, phone posting, but something like this from Canadian Amazon: https://a.co/d/iuY8XAi

I was wondering whether that would work, because (as is) the tv being off isn't enough, the cable needs to be physically unplugged.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Rinkles posted:

I was wondering whether that would work, because (as is) the tv being off isn't enough, the cable needs to be physically unplugged.

You mean the cable needs to be unplugged for it to recognize to switch to the monitor right? The thing is you don't need to do that anymore, you're diverting the video feed to one at a time only, it's not a splitter.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Bondematt posted:

One problem with this is doing it blind, especially since the Win+P pop up seems to behave differently on each screen. On my monitor it defaults to selecting one of the projection options, like this

On my tv, for whatever reason, it selects the back arrow (so you need to first hit the tab button to access the options)

And I got to remember that going from monitor to tv means going "up" the menu, and it's down vice versa.

Not an insurmountable issue, but annoying.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

You should be able to press win+p multiple times until the right option is selected. If the starting point is consistent for each monitor, so should be the number of times you need to press the combo. Like two in one direction, four in the other or something.

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

Does anyone have experience with Wyze security cameras? I'm having a fun time with a neighbor and have setup a few cameras.

Is there a way for me to turn off the interior cameras when my phone joins the Wi-Fi network? There isn't an option for it in the Wyze app.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

nomad2020 posted:

Does anyone have experience with Wyze security cameras? I'm having a fun time with a neighbor and have setup a few cameras.

Is there a way for me to turn off the interior cameras when my phone joins the Wi-Fi network? There isn't an option for it in the Wyze app.

If you have an iphone there could possibly be a way to automate that. Possibly.