Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse

Oh, hell loving yes :allears: God this looks great

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

I watched this thinking "this'll be a fun reboot, no way they're getting most of the cast back since so many of them are big-deal actors now. I think i recognized those first few names that popped up, maybe original directors/producers taking another stab it? The music is really good, feels ripped right out of an arcade game and fits the vibe perfectly. I'm pretty optimistic, I wonder if there's gonna be any cameos or s-:staredog:"

Jesus wept, this is gonna be good.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

They said back when it was announced that the original cast was reprising their roles. Still cool to see that confirmed, especially since Evans and Larsen have become huge stars since the movie originally came out

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Happy Landfill posted:

They said back when it was announced that the original cast was reprising their roles. Still cool to see that confirmed, especially since Evans and Larsen have become huge stars since the movie originally came out

They did a table read cast reunion version of the movie during COVID a couple years ago and they basically got everyone back for that too except for Kieran Culkin and Brie Larson purely because they were busy filming at the time so they couldn't otherwise make it. Everyone involved in this whole universe just seems to love it so much.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

nine-gear crow posted:

They did a table read cast reunion version of the movie during COVID a couple years ago and they basically got everyone back for that too except for Kieran Culkin and Brie Larson purely because they were busy filming at the time so they couldn't otherwise make it. Everyone involved in this whole universe just seems to love it so much.

Larson coming back? I can hear the 'sCotT pIlGrIm HaS gOnE wOkE' now! :allears:

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Dawgstar posted:

I've already seen a couple of chuds loudly proclaim they're boycotting the show because Brie Larson is in it. Nevermind the fact that she was one of the best parts of the movie and loving knocked Black Sheep out of the park and will probably also kill the poo poo out of whatever songs they give Envy and/or Clash At Demonhead this time around too. Because that's also Mark Webber, Allison Pill and Michael Cera singing the track on the trailer, so I'm guessing they're gonna like the actors sing certain songs again like they did for the movie.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

Ohhhh my gooooddd the soundtrack to this is going to rock :cripes:💕

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Trailer did not have music credits

Is there any word on who's doing music?

Can I get an Anamanaguchi cameo or something

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

I want to say that they’re already confirmed to be doing it but I can’t say for sure.

E- Yup: https://filmmusicreporter.com/2023/...d-anime-series/

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Dawgstar posted:

Scott's been my go-to example of "People thinking that because someone's the main character they're a good person" right up until Rick and Morty came out.

That said, I'm charged for this. The style is perfect, I really thought that the movie cast hit their roles so well (especially Cera as Scott), and that the only thing the movie really needed was time to breathe, which the series will either get, or be canceled by Netflix because Netflix hates good things.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Neito posted:

Scott's been my go-to example of "People thinking that because someone's the main character they're a good person" right up until Rick and Morty came out.

That said, I'm charged for this. The style is perfect, I really thought that the movie cast hit their roles so well (especially Cera as Scott), and that the only thing the movie really needed was time to breathe, which the series will either get, or be canceled by Netflix because Netflix hates good things.

It sounds like it's going to be eight 40-minute episodes, so that should hopefully be enough time to cover the whole series in the depth it deserves.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Neito posted:

I think Cera is my weak spot in all the SP live casting. Visually, the Young Neil actor Johnny Simmons would have been my first choice. Scott is meant to be good looking, and Cera… isn’t.

But hey, at least in the anime, he can do the voice fine!

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

The_Doctor posted:

I think Cera is my weak spot in all the SP live casting. Visually, the Young Neil actor Johnny Simmons would have been my first choice. Scott is meant to be good looking, and Cera… isn’t.

I mean, there's nothing really wrong with how Cera looks; he's just chosen to spend his entire career in the space that's normally only occupied by "dorky" male leads for a brief period before the love interest notices that he's really the one for her.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

The_Doctor posted:

Oh come on mate.

Edit: he's a literal movie star, statistically he's in one of the 3% of body types that ever get featured on film from that period. He's got a symmetrical face and body, good skin and and expressive features. Saying that he isn't good looking is straight up nonsense and feeds into extreme stratification of body types.

Open Source Idiom fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Aug 17, 2023

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
Yeah don't underestimate Michael Cera's effect on women.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
The rest of the cast leaps off the page and Scott doesn't. That's all it ever was.

mutantIke
Oct 24, 2022

Born in '04
Certified Zoomer
I hope the extended runtime means they're gonna go super faithful and include stuff like the extended fight sequence taking place in Honest Ed's

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

mutantIke posted:

I hope the extended runtime means they're gonna go super faithful and include stuff like the extended fight sequence taking place in Honest Ed's

If the Honest Ed's fight isn't in the anime, then it is an objective 0/10 failure.

mutantIke
Oct 24, 2022

Born in '04
Certified Zoomer
Nirvanna The Band The Show immortalized it in live action, it's time for Scott Pilgrim to immortalize it in animation

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

DoctorWhat posted:

The rest of the cast leaps off the page and Scott doesn't. That's all it ever was.

Yeah like, Scott was supposed to be a cocky piece of poo poo, and Micheal Cera just... played him as Micheal Cera.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Orange Crush Rush posted:

Yeah like, Scott was supposed to be a cocky piece of poo poo, and Micheal Cera just... played him as Micheal Cera.

Exactly this. How did Cera’s sadsack Scott ever get anyone?

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
I'm actually so used to Cera as Scott now, I think I would've been put off by anyone else voicing him.

Macaluso fucked around with this message at 11:00 on Aug 17, 2023

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
Hopefully he can bring a little more energy to Scott when appropriate.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Cera was a meh choice for Scott but not because he’s not hot enough or anything that’s just silly

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

I think the problem for me was that Scott was supposed to be an rear end in a top hat; he's the broken step of the group, after all, and (This Is The End nonwithstanding) I have trouble seeing Cera as an rear end in a top hat. But I think that's a minor gripe and I really can't think of anyone who'd be better as Scott.

kiminewt
Feb 1, 2022

mutantIke posted:

Nirvanna The Band The Show immortalized it in live action, it's time for Scott Pilgrim to immortalize it in animation

wait what

mutantIke
Oct 24, 2022

Born in '04
Certified Zoomer
Matt Johnson's (fantastic) IFC series Nirvanna The Band The Show has a sequence taking place in Honest Ed's in season one episode "The Bean".

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I don't hate them or anything like that but I am getting kind of tired of The Wall segments. Like it started out funny that there was this drama going on that none of the Opposites cared about but now it seems like it is a little too self serious.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I agree but also all I can think of this season is how loving fantastic Dan Stevens is as Korvo

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

I feel like they are trying to overplay other parts in case the voice change was poorly received. Which it's not bad to try and expand things in the 4th season.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

pixaal posted:

I feel like they are trying to overplay other parts in case the voice change was poorly received. Which it's not bad to try and expand things in the 4th season.

If you're talking about the Wall / Silver Cops, I get the sense that was always where the show was going. The Silver Cops subplot has basically followed the same structural pattern that the Wall followed over seasons one and two. The expanded subplots following the travails of minor characters is basically the show's big gimmick, I'd imagine that's not going to slow down any time soon.

Besides, given the timing the recast would have happened fairly late in production, after all the scripts this season had mostly been written.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Escobarbarian posted:

I agree but also all I can think of this season is how loving fantastic Dan Stevens is as Korvo

The birth-a-day episode was a really good showcase of how much he understands the character.

kiminewt
Feb 1, 2022

mutantIke posted:

Matt Johnson's (fantastic) IFC series Nirvanna The Band The Show has a sequence taking place in Honest Ed's in season one episode "The Bean".

I've seen it but have no memory of that. Perhaps it's time for a rewatch.

Also yes I'm 100% done with the Wall stuff. It just doesn't do anything interesting.
It reminds of something like Red vs. Blue where they took a loose comedy and made a serious drama out of it while trying to still sprinkle comedy in it. But at this point that's overdone and not unique.

The drama in the wall is soap opera/fanfic level and there are only two jokes: Jessie is a god and "they're small!".

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Eh, the stock photos subplot was worse.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I really hope the Valentine's Day special opens on the Opposites still living on the alien planet.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

muscles like this! posted:

I really hope the Valentine's Day special opens on the Opposites still living on the alien planet.

I'd be really keen to see how this affects The Wall as well.

They could really get a full season out of the concept.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

kiminewt posted:

Also yes I'm 100% done with the Wall stuff. It just doesn't do anything interesting.
It reminds of something like Red vs. Blue where they took a loose comedy and made a serious drama out of it while trying to still sprinkle comedy in it. But at this point that's overdone and not unique.

It never worked. You either need to have a balance of comedy/seriousness from the start or the setting is too absurd to ever take seriously at least for an extended period of time. It requires too much writing around the silly gags of the setting. You can do one off episodes like Jurassic Bark though.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

IShallRiseAgain posted:

It never worked. You either need to have a balance of comedy/seriousness from the start or the setting is too absurd to ever take seriously at least for an extended period of time. It requires too much writing around the silly gags of the setting. You can do one off episodes like Jurassic Bark though.

Nah, I think the tonal departure is clever and supports the show's thesis.

The Wall syplot (and the Silver Cops subplot and even the Pupa and Aisha subplots this season, though the Wall subplot does it best) act as counterpoint to the show's comedic sociopath protagonists. Plenty of Solar Opposite stories are use random side deaths and as a sort of bleak, shocking, but ultimately nonconsequential punchline to the main character's antics. It's part of the absurdiat nihilism inherent to the show's themes. The Wall subplot begins as this, but it pushes past the initial (repetitive) gag to examine the long term effects of what it's like to be a walk on -- or, you know, one of the little people -- in the Solar Opposites universe.

The point of the arc is its seriousness, its maximalism and its serialisation, because that makes a better contrast with the high octane free wheeling silliness of the rest of the show. If it was just one episode it'd be too easy to dismiss it. But instead it keeps invading the show itself. And, of course, now the show's devoted so much time to it can't actually stop the arc until the show itself comes to a close. Anything else would be a betrayal of the show'a arguments about the value of human life.

Of course it'd be even more effective if they found a new note to play other than Off Brand Game Of Thrones, but it looks like they're going in that direction finally.

My other problem is that, for all that the subplot is about sudden swerves and disposable protagonists (again, to emphasise the value of human life), you never, ever, believe the show will kill a baby.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
The show now has TWO regular sideplot offshoots at this point, it feels like they're winding the wall stuff down with this season, and maybe handing it off to what is now a furry vengeance epic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

I’ve only seen it mentioned a couple of times, but my wife and I were house sitting for some friends without cable so we marathoned Praise Petey. It started out shaky but it got weirdly charming by the end.

The AV Club review I read makes a point of rightfully comparing it to Schitt’s Creek, because the premise is essentially the same (rich socialite main character transplanted into a backwoods town they somehow inherited) and Annie Murphy is basically playing Alexis Rose, and the love interest is basically Mutt.

The AV Club article is right that the humor is much more broad and the setting is more generic than Schitt’s. Still, once we hung on through the first couple episodes and the background characters started to establish themselves it got a lot better. After a while it honestly reminded me a lot of Gravity Falls with the recurring insane townspeople and the weird sub-stories played over the ending credits.

It’s very much a girlboss yass queen feminist comedy at its core and I can totally see dumbasses getting upset over that. But there’s a good mix of perfectly delivered one liners as well as running gag catchphrases that seem to work most of the time.

Murphy is a phenomenal voice actress, alongside Amy Hill as the mentor, John Cho as a southern gentleman, Stephen Root as Petey’s dead dad, and Christine Baranski chewing the gently caress out of scenery as her mom. There’s also outstanding brief guest appearances for Alan Tudyk as himself and Michael Cera as a Boy Scout.

It seemed at first like a premise that got greenlighted because the pitch sounded good but ultimately the writer had no idea how to finish, but like I said it kind of grows on you once the characters start developing. If you’ve got three hours to kill it’s worth a watch.

Edit: The Council of Elders is also funny as hell and seems like something pulled out of Venture Bros

Hazo fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Aug 20, 2023