Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Professor Beetus posted:

I've got 99 problems and indictments are most of them a Witch aint one

Nieuw Amsterdam posted:

What happens when Trump is gone? Probably a legit party split as the MAGAs refuse to go back to McCain/Romney type candidates and Kari Lake it forever until that burns out.

I think that, for the foreseeable future, we're looking at the Trumpian "model" - that was drawn up for decades in the labs of talk radio stations - as the template for any viable GOP presidential candidate. The base loving LOVES this poo poo talking, insulting, rude style of self expression. They adore intentionally offending people because they're increasingly upset they can't openly make fun of...well, you know...fill in the blank and think it violates their freedom of speech.

It's to the point that if they're NOT offending someone by being rude pieces of poo poo, that they're not even speaking freely. Unless something is harsh, abrasive, mean or demeaning then it's not even worth saying. A good example is the made up War on Christmas bullshit where now they have to loudly and aggressively say "MERRY CHRISTMAS". Not because they're wishing you one, particularly, but because they want to see if you're On Their Side or some stupid poo poo close to that. And now it's just awkward for no real reason and some dumb rear end litmus test of patriotism or Christianity, which are (in their minds) intrinsically intertwined.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Zamujasa posted:

The sheer amount of money and control at the top is what makes me doubtful. The rank and file people might be Trump-poisoned idiots but there's a lot of money at the top interested in keeping Rs together.

There's also a lot of money and interest in having a functional Republican party because of their deregulatory and grifting effects on government.

They can do both. MIght take a while to polish that particular new turd into something palatable but it can be done.

Sorry...double post

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

The Lone Badger posted:

What happens if the court imposes a fine and he reuses to pay it?
(Not just doesn't pay it, troots out that he'll never pay it)

Same as if anyone else doesn't pay. Options there include wage garnishment, seizure of property, contempt of court, and more, depending on what the judge feels is appropriate. Getting rich people to pay fines is, to the shock of many, pretty much a solved problem.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
So this has already started
https://twitter.com/ryanjreilly/status/1691946570936140135

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

BiggerBoat posted:

I think that, for the foreseeable future, we're looking at the Trumpian "model" - that was drawn up for decades in the labs of talk radio stations - as the template for any viable GOP presidential candidate. The base loving LOVES this poo poo talking, insulting, rude style of self expression. They adore intentionally offending people because they're increasingly upset they can't openly make fun of...well, you know...fill in the blank and think it violates their freedom of speech.

It's to the point that if they're NOT offending someone by being rude pieces of poo poo, that they're not even speaking freely. Unless something is harsh, abrasive, mean or demeaning then it's not even worth saying. A good example is the made up War on Christmas bullshit where now they have to loudly and aggressively say "MERRY CHRISTMAS". Not because they're wishing you one, particularly, but because they want to see if you're On Their Side or some stupid poo poo close to that. And now it's just awkward for no real reason and some dumb rear end litmus test of patriotism or Christianity, which are (in their minds) intrinsically intertwined.

The interesting question is what they do if that clearly, repeatably, does not work. Everyone post-Trump has been trying to catch that lightning in a bottle and so far it's only won in blood-red districts where the real race is the primary, or where the Democratic candidate was weak and poorly supported. They need every vote they can get with their aging base and despite constant proclamations that Democrats will be abandoned by their base on election day due to their being too woke/centrist/Trump-obsessed/etc, there's no real indication that's happening.

Trump lost a lot of GOP voters but he managed to bring in new ones, turning out people in 2020 who weren't regular voters at all. Is anyone else in the party even capable of holding his coalition? If no one is, and Trump impersonators don't win, and Trump lovers don't want to go back to the Romneys and Jebs, what do they do? Just hope Democratic voters really do get bored?

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
https://twitter.com/ryanjreilly/status/1691890360119595134

Aaaaand here we go.

"ATLANTA — The purported names and addresses of members of the grand jury that indicted Donald Trump and 18 of his co-defendants on state racketeering charges this week have been posted on a fringe website that often features violent rhetoric, NBC News has learned.

NBC News is choosing not to name the website featuring the addresses to avoid further spreading the information.

The Fulton County District Attorney’s Office declined to comment. District Attorney Fani Willis faced racist threats ahead of the return of the indictment, and additional security measures were put in place, with some employees being allowed to work from home.

The grand jurors' purported addresses were spotted by Advance Democracy, a nonpartisan research group founded by Daniel J. Jones, a former FBI investigator and staffer for the U.S. Senate Intelligence Committee."

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
Willis couldn't indict him because of a conflict of interest, but
a special prosecutor has been appointed to investigate the current Lt. Governor who was a state senator at the time and one of the false electors.
https://apnews.com/article/trump-georgia-election-investigation-burt-jones-willis-16e76d68ca32a9b705b440c0c5098ef0

Insane hubris to have this filmed.
https://twitter.com/TheBeatWithAri/status/1691956511570792842

Charlz Guybon fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Aug 17, 2023

Glimm
Jul 27, 2005

Time is only gonna pass you by

OgNar posted:

https://twitter.com/ryanjreilly/status/1691890360119595134

Aaaaand here we go.

"ATLANTA — The purported names and addresses of members of the grand jury that indicted Donald Trump and 18 of his co-defendants on state racketeering charges this week have been posted on a fringe website that often features violent rhetoric, NBC News has learned.

NBC News is choosing not to name the website featuring the addresses to avoid further spreading the information.

The Fulton County District Attorney’s Office declined to comment. District Attorney Fani Willis faced racist threats ahead of the return of the indictment, and additional security measures were put in place, with some employees being allowed to work from home.

The grand jurors' purported addresses were spotted by Advance Democracy, a nonpartisan research group founded by Daniel J. Jones, a former FBI investigator and staffer for the U.S. Senate Intelligence Committee."

Christ this poo poo is so infuriating. There is no sentence long enough for these fucks.

Nieuw Amsterdam
Dec 1, 2006

Dignité. Toujours, dignité.

Nitrousoxide posted:

The Secret Service officers are not judicial bailiffs. They are not there to ensure Trump attends his court proceedings.

Letting Trump miss stuff DOES trigger Sheriffs and Bailiffs etc so it’s way less trouble to just encourage compliance rather than deal with the intergovernmental mess and security issues of sorting it out.

Absolutely nobody at Homeland Security wants to test out a Federal Judge ordering the Secret Service to do something.

Nieuw Amsterdam
Dec 1, 2006

BiggerBoat posted:

https://twitter.com/tomilahren/status/1691951472236171553?s=42&t=_t_IVfhy4q-0N_TO8aGgXQ

ol’ Tammy is starting to realize that they are stuck with this and it may not work out.

DeSantis is a total wet fart, there is no viable alternative that can do better than McCain and they know it.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

They're law enforcement. They're not gonna' assist in committing crimes; even ones as low-stakes as a former president having a bench warrant.

So I don't know what the hell his detail will do, and they definitely wouldn't be the ones taking him in anyway, but it's gonna' be fuckin' weird finding out if he decides to go that way.

But he ain't gonna' go that way. He'll show in court.

Scags McDouglas
Sep 9, 2012

https://www.cnn.com/2023/08/16/politics/giuliani-trump-legal-bills/index.html

The headline and photo are enough here. I'm sure Trump welled up with tears as he called for his accountants to pay him! Pay him beyond the richest avarice for sacrificing everything.

In all seriousness, I am just staggered at the number of people that ruined their lives for Trump over the years and thought surely in a moment of need he'd toss the first tablescrap of all time. Never mind the pond, then the lake, then the yawning ocean of people behind them with the exact same experience- no it'll be different for me. Trump will literally never stop finding more of these bozos. It's one of the few things that's so funny it's almost not funny.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
I audibly gasped while I was reading the indictment and saw the jurors’ names listed. I imagine those who were inclined to vote in favor have been looking for new homes since day 1 and knew they would be named in a public-facing document.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Nieuw Amsterdam posted:

Letting Trump miss stuff DOES trigger Sheriffs and Bailiffs etc so it’s way less trouble to just encourage compliance rather than deal with the intergovernmental mess and security issues of sorting it out.

Absolutely nobody at Homeland Security wants to test out a Federal Judge ordering the Secret Service to do something.

What would happen if Trump refused to show up for his arraignment is the judge in Georgia would issue a bench warrant for his arrest and their office would contact Palm Beach's sheriff to request that they pick him up and transfer him over to Georgia.

Maybe the sheriff would refuse, I don't know. They'd probably do it in all likelihood. The Secret Service would not interfere with his arrest but would not be the ones doing it.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
There's some level of cooperation and/or restriction of moment the secret service is willing to do, but in this case the path of least resistance would very obviously be the thing you say. His detail does have a vested interest in him not stealing a riding lawnmower and making a break for it the moment he sees the fuzz.

in practice none of this is going to be relevant, he's going to show up for booking

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Nieuw Amsterdam posted:

https://twitter.com/tomilahren/status/1691951472236171553?s=42&t=_t_IVfhy4q-0N_TO8aGgXQ

ol’ Tammy is starting to realize that they are stuck with this and it may not work out.

DeSantis is a total wet fart, there is no viable alternative that can do better than McCain and they know it.
More like she's doomering and saying why should we bother to vote if it's rigged.

Nieuw Amsterdam
Dec 1, 2006

Scags McDouglas posted:

https://www.cnn.com/2023/08/16/politics/giuliani-trump-legal-bills/index.html

The headline and photo are enough here. I'm sure Trump welled up with tears as he called for his accountants to pay him! Pay him beyond the richest avarice for sacrificing everything.

In all seriousness, I am just staggered at the number of people that ruined their lives for Trump over the years and thought surely in a moment of need he'd toss the first tablescrap of all time. Never mind the pond, then the lake, then the yawning ocean of people behind them with the exact same experience- no it'll be different for me. Trump will literally never stop finding more of these bozos. It's one of the few things that's so funny it's almost not funny.

Pimps are really good at zeroing in on vulnerable people they have a good chance of successfully exploiting. They don’t randomly approach just anyone.

Not surprised at all that Donald Trump has an uncanny ability to identify and coerce people with extraordinary moral and ethical weakness.

Please consult the HBO documentary “The Sopranos” for an in-depth examination on how the Trump Organization functions and the various incentives in the hierarchy to convince people they are a valued part of the firm.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Google Jeb Bush posted:

in practice none of this is going to be relevant, he's going to show up for booking

Oh, absolutely. If he refused to show up for an arraignment then he becomes a flight risk and would spend the rest of the time until his trial in jail once they nab him. He's not doing that since it would torpedo his chances of getting elected.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Killer robot posted:

The interesting question is what they do if that clearly, repeatably, does not work. Everyone post-Trump has been trying to catch that lightning in a bottle and so far it's only won in blood-red districts where the real race is the primary, or where the Democratic candidate was weak and poorly supported. They need every vote they can get with their aging base and despite constant proclamations that Democrats will be abandoned by their base on election day due to their being too woke/centrist/Trump-obsessed/etc, there's no real indication that's happening.

Trump lost a lot of GOP voters but he managed to bring in new ones, turning out people in 2020 who weren't regular voters at all. Is anyone else in the party even capable of holding his coalition? If no one is, and Trump impersonators don't win, and Trump lovers don't want to go back to the Romneys and Jebs, what do they do? Just hope Democratic voters really do get bored?

Well put and maybe you're right.

I just run across a gently caress ton of people bitching about how "you can't say anything anymore" because it will offend somebody coupled with a lot of "nobody wants to work anymore", which are both criticisms usually directed at young people. I'm getting up there in years and I try to tell them that their parents said the same poo poo and theirs before theirs and so forth, reminding them that for a long time things like men having long hair or earrings, kids having blue hair, heavy metal music, draft dodgers, interracial couples, The Gays, Muslims...I could go on forever.

All of those things meant the end of civilization and, all the while, pollution and fossil fuels and the slow ticking time bomb of global climate change and our disrespect of nature/god was the real threat the whole time. Oddly, you'd think a group of people who go around saying that God gave us the earth and free will as his gift to us would understand that on some level.

But they do not.

As an aside, I also work in a poker room on the day shift where a lot of old rich people come in to waste their time and money; often a LOT of both. They'll think nothing of pissing away $2000 in 3 hours for no reason at all but I can promise you they have strong opinions about taxes.

Charlz Guybon posted:

More like she's doomering and saying why should we bother to vote if it's rigged.

Well, to be fair, we forgot to rig the senate and the house last time so maybe they can focus on that?

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Aug 17, 2023

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

LividLiquid posted:

They're law enforcement. They're not gonna' assist in committing crimes; even ones as low-stakes as a former president having a bench warrant.

... the Secret Service already assisted in committing crimes for Trump (according to the Department of Homeland Security inspector general). It was a whole thing for a while. It's part of why Biden doesn't trust them.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

raminasi posted:

Is there historical evidence of this actually working? What's stopping the court from taking a challenge to such a law up?

The Executive and Legislative branches can pack the court at will if they're in agreement. FDR's tactic of 'you will stop stonewalling me or by God I'll just add Justices until you can't' still stands.

He proposed a plan to appoint an additional Justice for every one not retired by age 70, arguing that the aging court needed more Justices to help with its caseload, because he said its members were “slow and infirm” and behind in their work.

This would have allowed him to promptly handpick as many as six new judges for the bench. Today it would add two immediately (Alito and Thomas) and two more in a year (Roberts and Sotomayor).

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

Ms Adequate posted:

That's what I was trying to get at - that 25k limit is so low compared to the sorts of figures you'd expect to see in a mob case or big drugs bust that it seems out of whack. If the Donbot gets fined $15,000,000 because he made 5 mil from running the Robot Mafia, that makes fining some schmuck who did one job for them $25,000 look kinda bizarrely low in comparison.

But now that I'm more awake I'm not entirely sure what the point I was actually trying to drive at with that post was :v:

e; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3bjA9lm8tJU

Holy poo poo nevermind mycrimes.txt, Roger Stone is on mycrimes.MPEG

e2; I have no idea if Ari's conclusions and commentary are worth anything but the Stone video itself is :eyepop:

It makes more sense when you realize that GA’s extremely broad RICO laws were written to further prosecute people caught dealing relatively minor quantities of drugs and other smaller crimes than you’d generally think of falling under RICO.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

BiggerBoat posted:

coupled with a lot of "nobody wants to work anymore"

I had a conversation with a building contractor who was moaning about this one morning at the local coffee shop. I asked him how much he was paying and he said "Well, 14-15 an hour". That's a really lovely rate for the New York Metro area. I asked him why he didn't try paying 20-25 and he laughed and rolled his eyes, then said something along the lines of "I have kids and a boat ya know".

No one wants to work any more means no one wants to work lovely, back breaking jobs for low pay. It's like the free market is working or something.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

https://www.dcd.uscourts.gov/sites/dcd/files/23sc31%20Attachment%20A%20-%20Documents%20unsealed%20with%20redactions.pdf

For some reason I spent about two hours last night reading over half of this 200 pages of the released court filings of Twitter vs the US government regarding the warrant for Trump’s account. Judge Howell spends two entire hearings tearing the throat out of twitter’s lawyers. Twitter wanted to notify Trump to the warrant and give him time to legally respond (with court actions of his own) to block it if needed, even though a) it was a covert warrant and b) Twitter has never notified anyone before. When twitter’s lawyers said that they had “selectively” let certain users know of a covert warrant, or argued in court for the NDO (nondisclosure order) to be removed they’d previously had it removed so they could tell the user. Howell did not believe them, called them out on it, and said “oh really? Then I want every single case # of every instance where Twitter asked for an NDO to be removed and the legal reasons argued for selectively exercising rights for those’s user’s rights by end of day.” The twitter lawyer then backpedaled quite unsuccessfully. Howell did not have any of it.

Twitter’s rationale for notifying Trump was simply the most amazing mental gymnastics I’ve ever read. They argued that it is possible there might be some “official proceedings of government” in Trump’s DMs, and because of that the account would fall under executive privilege as well as the PRA. Twitter said something like, “these are extremely challenging questions that give us pause.” Judge Howell lit into them with “I believe for myself and the US government attorneys here these legal questions are neither extremely challenging nor giving us any pause at all.” The government’s statement was a) it’s absolutely preposterous to believe that Trump would use a Twitter DM to act out an official proceeding of government. That just didn’t happen. b) if he did, then it belongs to the executive branch and since the DOJ IS the executive branch they have the full privilege to see it. There can’t be a privilege breach to the same branch of government (the twitter lawyers had to be reminded of this). And c) while all his tweets were handed over to NARA as some form of quasi-presidential records thing, his DMs, IP address info, all the other technical dirt they want from the account are certainly not presidential records. They’re his Twitter account records, plain and simple.

But that wasn’t the best part. The DOJ strongly put forward that giving Trump any notice of the warrant would allow him to obstruct justice. Twitter didn’t believe so, argued he’s an upstanding guy, really. Twitter actually cited the Mueller Report in their brief as a reference to a time where Mueller notified Trump before they subpoenaed and interviewed a witness, to allow Trump time to object. Howell said to Twitter, “you actually have the audacity to quote the report that goes into detail for 100s of pages about specifically how justice was Obstructed by the very Twitter user in question?” There was some legal stuff about how a warrant is covert, but subpoenaing someone for an interview never is covert because said person can turn right around and tell Trump themselves they were served. That makes a warrant and an interview factually different entities and Twitter lawyer’s really should not have trouble understanding that. Howell pointed out with a smirk that in the DOJ’s counter-brief they cited google.. like they literally loving googled the case law that explains this difference for Twitter’s lawyers. “Lemme search that for you”. It was amazing. Reading it felt like being in the room with them. By the end of the hearing Howell granted the DOJ the $50,000 fine that doubles and compounds every day until Twitter fulfills the warrant, without question. It was a brutal smackdown.

Suffice it to say the subsequent time they met they already owed $350,000. Howell was not happy with Twitter’s performance. Twitter was trying very hard to get the DOJ everything but was still trying to slow walk a few things (like internal emails). There was definitely some things the DOJ asked for that Twitter engineer’s just couldn’t produce (like lists of who clicked on a shortened url) without setting fire to their servers. They hadn’t yet handed over any internal emails regarding the @realdonaldtrump account because when they searched that term in their company wide mail repository it returned over a million emails. They have to work with the DOJ to fulfill some search parameters or they are going to be turning them all over.

Weirdest thing was that there is a thing called a Fleet? It’s a tweet that disappears after a set time? Like..fleeting. Nobody in the courtroom including twitter’s lawyer even knew they existed. I guess Trump’s account had a bunch of them. I’ve never heard of them either.

And there are three backups of Trump’s account, one probably made at the official request of NARA but two others were made internally, without ever being asked to do so by an official document and nobody there from Twitter knew why they were made. For some reason Twitter was internally backing up that user account but the multiple versions span slightly different short stints of time around when he was banned and some of them have the bad tweets (and possibly DMs) missing, and some don’t. There’s a strong suspicion the “production” version of trumps account backup is missing some seriously incriminating poo poo that was internally deleted, but whomever did it made a backup of the account before doing so. Because getting those backups out of storage is apparently extremely hard for Twitter. And it was a surprise to them to even find them (after being forced to fully comply by the prior hearing). Anyone who knew the reason had already left the company after elon took over.

Elon musk absolutely tried to cozy up, too. Absolutely. Howell saw right through it all. Elon is a loving idiot and if one thing is obvious Twitter’s internal structure is burning down around them under him. Twitter lawyers knew they were making up bs to fulfill what Elon wanted done. It didn’t work.

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

I would really prefer if you would be quiet.
Fleets were basically Instagram/Snapchat stories

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Hubris doesn't seem to be an issue for him.

XboxPants fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Aug 17, 2023

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Blind Rasputin posted:

For some reason I spent about two hours last night reading over half of this 200 pages of the released court filings of Twitter vs the US government regarding the warrant for Trump’s account.

[daaaaamn]
--and for some reason I read your summary even though I didn't think I'd have anything to say but kind of gape my mouth open. I just want other people to go look at the post if they just had an ADHD-inspired tl;dr when it scrolled by.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Tenkaris posted:

Fleets were basically Instagram/Snapchat stories

Yeah they were around for like, a year or so back around 2018 before Twitter dropped them like Vines.

They obviously weren’t particularly popular but I am a bit surprised no one knew what they were, like they had been completely memory holed.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Ballz posted:

Yeah they were around for like, a year or so back around 2018 before Twitter dropped them like Vines.

They obviously weren’t particularly popular but I am a bit surprised no one knew what they were, like they had been completely memory holed.

Well, they were fleeting. :v:

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Blind Rasputin posted:

https://www.dcd.uscourts.gov/sites/dcd/files/23sc31%20Attachment%20A%20-%20Documents%20unsealed%20with%20redactions.pdf

For some reason I spent about two hours last night reading over half of this 200 pages of the released court filings of Twitter vs the US government regarding the warrant for Trump’s account. Judge Howell spends two entire hearings tearing the throat out of twitter’s lawyers. Twitter wanted to notify Trump to the warrant and give him time to legally respond (with court actions of his own) to block it if needed, even though a) it was a covert warrant and b) Twitter has never notified anyone before. When twitter’s lawyers said that they had “selectively” let certain users know of a covert warrant, or argued in court for the NDO (nondisclosure order) to be removed they’d previously had it removed so they could tell the user. Howell did not believe them, called them out on it, and said “oh really? Then I want every single case # of every instance where Twitter asked for an NDO to be removed and the legal reasons argued for selectively exercising rights for those’s user’s rights by end of day.” The twitter lawyer then backpedaled quite unsuccessfully. Howell did not have any of it.

Twitter’s rationale for notifying Trump was simply the most amazing mental gymnastics I’ve ever read. They argued that it is possible there might be some “official proceedings of government” in Trump’s DMs, and because of that the account would fall under executive privilege as well as the PRA. Twitter said something like, “these are extremely challenging questions that give us pause.” Judge Howell lit into them with “I believe for myself and the US government attorneys here these legal questions are neither extremely challenging nor giving us any pause at all.” The government’s statement was a) it’s absolutely preposterous to believe that Trump would use a Twitter DM to act out an official proceeding of government. That just didn’t happen. b) if he did, then it belongs to the executive branch and since the DOJ IS the executive branch they have the full privilege to see it. There can’t be a privilege breach to the same branch of government (the twitter lawyers had to be reminded of this). And c) while all his tweets were handed over to NARA as some form of quasi-presidential records thing, his DMs, IP address info, all the other technical dirt they want from the account are certainly not presidential records. They’re his Twitter account records, plain and simple.

But that wasn’t the best part. The DOJ strongly put forward that giving Trump any notice of the warrant would allow him to obstruct justice. Twitter didn’t believe so, argued he’s an upstanding guy, really. Twitter actually cited the Mueller Report in their brief as a reference to a time where Mueller notified Trump before they subpoenaed and interviewed a witness, to allow Trump time to object. Howell said to Twitter, “you actually have the audacity to quote the report that goes into detail for 100s of pages about specifically how justice was Obstructed by the very Twitter user in question?” There was some legal stuff about how a warrant is covert, but subpoenaing someone for an interview never is covert because said person can turn right around and tell Trump themselves they were served. That makes a warrant and an interview factually different entities and Twitter lawyer’s really should not have trouble understanding that. Howell pointed out with a smirk that in the DOJ’s counter-brief they cited google.. like they literally loving googled the case law that explains this difference for Twitter’s lawyers. “Lemme search that for you”. It was amazing. Reading it felt like being in the room with them. By the end of the hearing Howell granted the DOJ the $50,000 fine that doubles and compounds every day until Twitter fulfills the warrant, without question. It was a brutal smackdown.

Suffice it to say the subsequent time they met they already owed $350,000. Howell was not happy with Twitter’s performance. Twitter was trying very hard to get the DOJ everything but was still trying to slow walk a few things (like internal emails). There was definitely some things the DOJ asked for that Twitter engineer’s just couldn’t produce (like lists of who clicked on a shortened url) without setting fire to their servers. They hadn’t yet handed over any internal emails regarding the @realdonaldtrump account because when they searched that term in their company wide mail repository it returned over a million emails. They have to work with the DOJ to fulfill some search parameters or they are going to be turning them all over.

Weirdest thing was that there is a thing called a Fleet? It’s a tweet that disappears after a set time? Like..fleeting. Nobody in the courtroom including twitter’s lawyer even knew they existed. I guess Trump’s account had a bunch of them. I’ve never heard of them either.

And there are three backups of Trump’s account, one probably made at the official request of NARA but two others were made internally, without ever being asked to do so by an official document and nobody there from Twitter knew why they were made. For some reason Twitter was internally backing up that user account but the multiple versions span slightly different short stints of time around when he was banned and some of them have the bad tweets (and possibly DMs) missing, and some don’t. There’s a strong suspicion the “production” version of trumps account backup is missing some seriously incriminating poo poo that was internally deleted, but whomever did it made a backup of the account before doing so. Because getting those backups out of storage is apparently extremely hard for Twitter. And it was a surprise to them to even find them (after being forced to fully comply by the prior hearing). Anyone who knew the reason had already left the company after elon took over.

Elon musk absolutely tried to cozy up, too. Absolutely. Howell saw right through it all. Elon is a loving idiot and if one thing is obvious Twitter’s internal structure is burning down around them under him. Twitter lawyers knew they were making up bs to fulfill what Elon wanted done. It didn’t work.

Thanks for an excellent writeup! I'm very curious about this "fleet" concept, and what related records were preserved relating to Trump.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Blind Rasputin posted:

For some reason I spent about two hours last night reading over half of this 200 pages of the released court filings of Twitter vs the US government regarding the warrant for Trump’s account.

Thank you for doing this. This is a fantastic writeup.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Fork of Unknown Origins posted:

It makes more sense when you realize that GA’s extremely broad RICO laws were written to further prosecute people caught dealing relatively minor quantities of drugs and other smaller crimes than you’d generally think of falling under RICO.

Oooohhh you know that angle hadn't occurred to me. I guess if you want to kick Joe Schmoe's rear end for making $500 illegally, a fine of $1,500 isn't that devastating, but a 5+ year sentence might be excessive (or just strain the prison system like in my Prison Architect games). Yep, ok, makes sense now! Thank you :]

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

go ahead. keep scraeming "I will kill your family " at me. it only makes my sentencing Worse

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
A lot of the unindicted co-conspirators have been discovered for Georgia already
https://twitter.com/rgoodlaw/status/1691919528874356916

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
That's such a weird spelling of Epstein. Maybe it's actually Eps-the-wine

Nieuw Amsterdam
Dec 1, 2006

Charlz Guybon posted:

Doomering in August the year before the election is an incredible tell on what the GOP industrial complex really thinks the odds are at beating Biden.

Next year is gonna look like this:

Biden: Well things are certainly better than they were in 2020, aren’t they? If you want new Supreme Court justices who won’t take away your rights and legal abortion rights restored vote for me and the Democrats.

Trump: (from Prison) AVENGE ME MY MINIONS, Restore America to the glory of 2019! By the way it was ME ME ME who killed Roe! I don’t give a gently caress if you vote for a single Republican other than me and my VP, [Craziest Motherfucker You Can Imagine because the only qualifier is would they have done it on January 6]

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013
In all seriousness I would love to know how "Secret Service protecting an incarcerated former president" would work in theory. Would an agent stand outside his cell while another escorts him to the shower? Would they have to check and secure the cafeteria before breakfast every day?

This whole saga has amazing potential for entertainment for anyone who isn't hardcore MAGA.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Nieuw Amsterdam posted:

When Trump loses again the party will once again find an external scapegoat (Biden weaponized Justice Department) instead of the needed assessment that he is a very bad candidate and very bad President who got super lucky running against someone very very unpopular eight years ago.

Usually a party loses and says “what went wrong and what can we do better”

“Trump didn’t actually lose” is the position of a huge chunk of the party and “First priority is revenge for 2020” is the position of another huge chunk.

The GOP is hyped to run Jimmy Carter in 1984 here. And when that fails it’s going to be Carter ‘88 and Carter ‘92 until the fever breaks and someone gets momentum by going “guys we need to stop this and get sane again.”

In the meantime the Supreme Court will continue to issue insane rulings that will mightily piss off vast sectors of the country thus feeding the desire for reform/change.

this, the GOP is headed toward bad times ahead because of nature of politics, coalitions form, grow, expand calcify and then break. it happened to the new dealers/old wing of the dems in the 80s and its probably gonna happen to the reagan GOP with trump. the issue is the GOP doesnt have that many smart ghouls with levers to do anything to soften the blow or impact. they don't have potential big brains charisma canidates in the wings. the dems have some issues with that too but they have tons of places to look, the GOP just has whatever orc spawning pit the various heritgage foundation or yale set up. yeah Hawley might try, but i bet you he ends up being the same charisma void desantis is. trump won because he has charisma and reperesents the golden age for alot of gen x and boomer chuds, the glorious 80s, when their dicks still worked and their kids still listened or they had cool lives and etc.
https://twitter.com/justinbaragona/status/1691928381950964222
its paid oppostion for fox but she isnt wrong and the dipshits reactions show it. these assholes are peak principal skinner and just rolling their eyes and laughing or getting pissy when told "yeah your not the majority anymore". these freaks won't evovle in time. they are too coddled.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Nieuw Amsterdam posted:

Trump: (from Prison) AVENGE ME MY MINIONS, Restore America to the glory of 2019! By the way it was ME ME ME who killed Roe! I don’t give a gently caress if you vote for a single Republican other than me and my VP, [Craziest Motherfucker You Can Imagine because the only qualifier is would they have done it on January 6]

1)Just say MTG, I honestly don't think there's anyone more insane or loyal to Trump than her now in politics.

2)For some reason, I can't help but hear this in Judge Doom's voice after he reinflated himself with helium in Who Framed Roger Rabbit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING

The Lone Badger posted:

What happens if the court imposes a fine and he reuses to pay it?
(Not just doesn't pay it, troots out that he'll never pay it)

Mar-a-lago goes Hasta Luego.