Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

PartyCrown posted:

Theyre evacuating yellowknife, everyone has to be out by friday. Theres only one highway out of town and the fire could reach the city by saturday, so theyre trying to get everyone out while they can. Evacuations have already started for medically vulnerable folks. I grew up right downtown. This is so surreal and awful.
Also, why the gently caress are there still people in Hay River? 90% of Enterprise is gone.
e: i dont live there anymore but

seems fine, let's drill baby drill

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

PartyCrown posted:

NWT goons, how are you doing? Just heard that the families of RCMP members and military folks are being asked to pre-evacuate YK so that the cops etc can focus better on evacuating everyone else when the poo poo hits the fan. And a lot of people at the airport trying to buy tickets to get out.
I haven't been back since I moved south, but it's still home on my heart. poo poo is heartbreaking.

I prepare to be incredibly depressed my hometown and the one place I ever really liked living is gone.

I can't even realistically go and help.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

PartyCrown posted:

NWT goons, how are you doing? Just heard that the families of RCMP members and military folks are being asked to pre-evacuate YK so that the cops etc can focus better on evacuating everyone else when the poo poo hits the fan. And a lot of people at the airport trying to buy tickets to get out.
I haven't been back since I moved south, but it's still home on my heart. poo poo is heartbreaking.

Yeah not great! We are in Alberta anyway on "vacation" so on the positive side we were already out and on the negative side we didn't really bring as much as we probably would have.

We were going to go to Drumheller and the Calgary Zoo and poo poo, but gently caress all that now. I guess I should go cancel my annual leave. It will give me something to do, I guess.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Sorry NWT goons

PartyCrown
Dec 31, 2007

CLAM DOWN posted:

seems fine, let's drill baby drill

The territory might have 37% of the countries oil reserves, its just going to waste there tbh

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

"Jason says they also don’t qualify for support through the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA), adding their application was denied."\

That's some moxie applying for emergency aid while sitting comfy in your completely intact home in Canada.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Bilirubin posted:

Sorry NWT goons

Yeah this is such terrible news, stay safe NWT goons

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

https://twitter.com/CBCNews/status/1691990383415157138

I'll believe it when I see it.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Excited to find out which hot new means they'll be testing for this one

Death By The Blues
Oct 30, 2011
It would be funny if they are forced to do this cause their eternal polling numbers are so loving dire. Maybe poilievre will contribute to something positive for the first time in his life.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

ron Pearlman wants to give me drugs. cool!

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Entropic posted:

https://firesmoke.ca/forecasts/current/ gives a good idea of burn area and smoke distribution

You honestly expect me to believe NWT are a burning hellscape, but that there's only 1 fire in Alaska? Clearly this just proves that the fires are an act of terrorism perpetrated by the US and we should build a wall to keep them out! :tinfoil:

But seriously, I hope everyone gets out safely and that conditions change enough that there's no severe property damage.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Toronto Star posted:

OTTAWA — Grassroots Conservatives are set to push their party into a political debate around gender identity that Leader Pierre Poilievre has so far tried to avoid, with resolutions on “single-sex spaces” and gender-affirming medical care to be debated at next month’s party convention.

Tell me more about how the Liberals are in trouble from the Conservatives :allears:

e: I bet they end up voting on some abortion resolutions too!

Pyrtanis
Jun 30, 2007

The ghosts of our glories are gray-bearded guides
Fun Shoe

Another Bill posted:

Tell me more about how the Liberals are in trouble from the Conservatives :allears:

e: I bet they end up voting on some abortion resolutions too!

I told my husband it was coming, the poo poo that's in the states re: abortion and he pooh poohed it away like it could never happen. Yeah I heard that poo poo before when I lived in the states and look what happened!

How justified am I in being worried about abortion access being restricted or removed entirely?

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

I'm exactly 0% worried about the Canadian abortion status quo changing but I do think that a large part of the Conservative activist base will be fired up after the Roe v. Wade reversal and want to make their voices heard, and they're backed by American pro-life money.

I think the 'culture war' (hate that term for LGBTQ+ human rights and women's healthcare) will tank the Conservatives in the next election. Remember: numbers show women already hate PP, this will only bury him further.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
love the status quo baby

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Another Bill posted:

I'm exactly 0% worried about the Canadian abortion status quo changing but I do think that a large part of the Conservative activist base will be fired up after the Roe v. Wade reversal and want to make their voices heard, and they're backed by American pro-life money.

I think the 'culture war' (hate that term for LGBTQ+ human rights and women's healthcare) will tank the Conservatives in the next election. Remember: numbers show women already hate PP, this will only bury him further.

this is very optimistic given just how many federal elections seem to be decided by voters being tired of whoever is in office rather than being excited about whoever is trying to replace them. If voters don't want Trudeau and the Liberals, it's not like Singh and the NDP are going to suddenly form government

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Another Bill posted:

they are loading up on 00 buckshot and aiming down the barrel at their own feet. that said, i still wouldn't put it past the liberals to get caught doing something so egregious it kills the party, again

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

vyelkin posted:

this is very optimistic given just how many federal elections seem to be decided by voters being tired of whoever is in office rather than being excited about whoever is trying to replace them. If voters don't want Trudeau and the Liberals, it's not like Singh and the NDP are going to suddenly form government

this is what worries me.

they could be objectively the worst choice by every metric for just about every demographic, being lead by an absolute pariah, and if the liberals collapse they're still going to form the government

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."
More likely scenario is that Higgs ends up using the Notwithstanding Clause on his attempt to make New Brunswick teens more miserable, and then the Christian Nationalists he's courting could probably figure out it would actually work for abortion too.

Cannot overstate how stupid it is having a constitutional escape clause, one conservatives are learning to love.

my morning jackass
Aug 24, 2009

the culture war stuff is interesting because, yeah, it’s been a “stinking albatross” for them in the past but there could be a growing base for this stuff in places where it hasn’t been before.

GTA communities in those key suburban ridings are a target for con votes and as long as they can keep the anti-immigrant rhetoric down they will find quite a few nodding heads there with the social conservative stuff where they probably wouldn’t have as much traction there in the past.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

yeah, there is not a shortage of fiscally and socially conservative brown guys in the gta

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
criminalizing abortion is a massive vote loser right now more than ever. the effective way to gently caress with abortion is to legalize it but simply defund medical services, but conservatives can’t resist saying the quiet parts out loud

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

IÃÂÃŒÂÌ° Ó̯̖̫̹̯̤A҉mÃÂ̺̩ Ç̬A̡̮̞̠ÚÉ̱̫ K̶eÓgÃÂ.̻̱̪̕Ö̹̟

odiv posted:

We are in Alberta anyway

Goondolences

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

DynamicSloth posted:

More likely scenario is that Higgs ends up using the Notwithstanding Clause on his attempt to make New Brunswick teens more miserable, and then the Christian Nationalists he's courting could probably figure out it would actually work for abortion too.

Cannot overstate how stupid it is having a constitutional escape clause, one conservatives are learning to love.

This is true, but the concept of "constitutional rights" breeds complacency. People act like there are strong protections built into the system, but it mostly amounts to a piece of paper, as liberals in the US are learning to their chagrin.

The only solution is to address the power imbalance that creates the opportunities in the first place.

RealityWarCriminal posted:

love the status quo baby

PhilippAchtel has issued a correction as of 15:42 on Aug 17, 2023

Isizzlehorn
Feb 25, 2010

:lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick:

Randalor posted:

You honestly expect me to believe NWT are a burning hellscape, but that there's only 1 fire in Alaska? Clearly this just proves that the fires are an act of terrorism perpetrated by the US and we should build a wall to keep them out! :tinfoil:

But seriously, I hope everyone gets out safely and that conditions change enough that there's no severe property damage.

If it weren't for the inevitable homelessness, I would not lament the property damage.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Jordan7hm posted:

criminalizing abortion is a massive vote loser right now more than ever. the effective way to gently caress with abortion is to legalize it but simply defund medical services, but conservatives can’t resist saying the quiet parts out loud

fwiw I also thought that the Republicans would never gently caress with abortion because it was a major fundraiser and voter turnout machine for them but I was wrong so I'm certainly no expert.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Another Bill posted:

fwiw I also thought that the Republicans would never gently caress with abortion because it was a major fundraiser and voter turnout machine for them but I was wrong so I'm certainly no expert.

they’re consistently paying for it at the polls, but a growing segment of that party no longer seems to care about winning elections. that’s what a trump win will do for you I guess

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Jordan7hm posted:

they’re consistently paying for it at the polls, but a growing segment of that party no longer seems to care about winning elections. that’s what a trump win will do for you I guess

it’s top trumps that is

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Another Bill posted:

it's because the Republicans actually have deeply-held ideological beliefs that they want to enact using the power of the state, and many of them care more about effecting those changes in society than they do about raising money and winning future elections, so when you give them an opportunity they seize it and impose the changes on everyone else.

In political science terms it's sometimes referred to as the difference between "ideological" and "pragmatic" political parties, in that for the ideological ones winning elections is a means to an ideological end that remains relatively constant over time and for the pragmatic ones ideological positions are a means to pragmatic ends like winning and retaining political power. A pragmatic party can stay in office for a long time and have no major political achievements because that's not the point of its existence, whereas an ideological party can stay out of office for a long time and then make a lot of huge changes in a short period of time when they do win power because that's the point of its existence.

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

if the cons get even a slight majority they will force the issue of abortion because why not

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Isizzlehorn posted:

If it weren't for the inevitable homelessness, I would not lament the property damage.

I'm lamenting it because of the inevitable homelessness and loss of irreplaceable items. It's a lovely position to be in and I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy. Homes can be rebuilt, but losing something handmade by a departed family member really sucks.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Randalor posted:

I'm lamenting it because of the inevitable homelessness and loss of irreplaceable items. It's a lovely position to be in and I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy. Homes can be rebuilt, but losing something handmade by a departed family member really sucks.

Yeah and think of all the cultural treasures that must have been gathered in Yellowknife. AFAIK the art scene there is very interesting and it's brutal that it'll likely be all lost soon.

PartyCrown
Dec 31, 2007

tuyop posted:

Yeah and think of all the cultural treasures that must have been gathered in Yellowknife. AFAIK the art scene there is very interesting and it's brutal that it'll likely be all lost soon.

There's a chance that the museum will be ok because it's so close to the leg. They'll likely work pretty hard to protect the legislative assembly, and the museum by extension. They also have some fire suppression systems, but nothing... really brilliant because funding is so limited.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Fundamentally I believe we have a different culture than the Americans, or had, and so I think the particular fault lines of a Canadian Kulturkampf, barring those who only consume American media, will be different.

For instance, in Canada the mainline Protestants have always been a stronger cultural force than the Evangelicals. There's no reason that I can see driving the Anglican and United Churches to suddenly come out against abortion, or the same-sex stuff, since they perform same-sex weddings and have for years.

The other side of this is that nothing is more important to Canadian liberals than not being gauche Americans. The Tories threatening abortion would be a huge mobilizer for them.

Frosted Flake has issued a correction as of 16:30 on Aug 17, 2023

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

Jordan7hm posted:

The only purpose of winning elections is to gain and use power. The ostensibly left wing parties need to take a page from this book, because if this is a criticism of "Trumpism" this is a massive misunderstanding of politics.

Frosted Flake posted:

Fundamentally I believe we have a different culture than the Americans, or had, and so I think the particular fault lines of a Canadian Kulturkampf, barring those who only consume American media, will be different.

For instance, in Canada the mainline Protestants have always been a stronger cultural force than the Evangelicals. There's no reason that I can see driving the Anglican and United Churches to suddenly come out against abortion, or the same-sex stuff, since they perform same-sex weddings and have for years.

The other side of this is that nothing is more important to Canadian liberals than not being gauche Americans. The Tories threatening abortion would be a huge mobilizer for them.

I think this is extremely naive. Canadians like to think they have a fundamentally different political landscape than the US, and they really don't.

PhilippAchtel has issued a correction as of 18:37 on Aug 17, 2023

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

We live in a different cultural landscape. What would the impetus for opposition to abortion be? The same with gay rights?

If the mainline Proddies have made their peace with it, and the detente with all denominations since 1967 has been a greatly reduced role in public life, what is the cultural basis for legislating morality - if that's what we want to call this?

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."
New Brunswick has never really had adequate access to abortion and no one west of Edmunston ever notice or cared before. In a few years if Higgs decides to role it back entirely and the Conservatives are in power federally all PP's Health Minister has to do is say it's properly a provincial matter and mail them their regular cheque and it's a fait accompli. They can start working on other provinces from there.

PhilippAchtel posted:

This is true, but the concept of "constitutional rights" breeds complacency. People act like there are strong protections built into the system, but it mostly amounts to a piece of paper, as liberals in the US are learning to their chagrin.

The only solution is to address the power imbalance that creates the opportunities in the first place.

:amen:

DynamicSloth has issued a correction as of 19:15 on Aug 17, 2023

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

I know NB used be a hotbed for reaction and religious agitation in the public sphere because of the Orangemen, but that's clearly not what's at play here. What is the source of this energy in NB politics currently?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Frosted Flake posted:

We live in a different cultural landscape. What would the impetus for opposition to abortion be? The same with gay rights?

If the mainline Proddies have made their peace with it, and the detente with all denominations since 1967 has been a greatly reduced role in public life, what is the cultural basis for legislating morality - if that's what we want to call this?

there's a lot of Cons, and a lot of their churches, who want the church to be a big thing in public life again, and are pushing for legislating morality. it doesn't matter to them if anyone else wants it, they do.