Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

GWBBQ posted:

This and the post quoted below got me thinking, and I just 2ant to give yome encouragement.

If I had done that, I would have quit drinking far before I did because when I looked back at my bank account and credit cards, I realized I was spending almost $7000-9000 a year on alcohol. On an average day I was drinking an entire 3L Bota Box of wine, 8-10 shots of 100 proof liquor, and 4-6 cans of heavy beer. I wasn't drinking because I enjoyed it, I was drinking to prevent withdrawal symptoms and when I stopped I had a seizure. I was lucky enough to have insurance that covered 10 days in rehab because I sure as hell couldn't afford the $17,000 it cost for that plus more than $16,000 for a year-long outpatient program.

My liver enzyme levels are down to the normal range after previously having been at 3x the ALT/AST ratio of alcoholic liver disease, I've lost 80 pounds, am still overweight but below the body fat percentage that's considered obese, and my hemoglobin A1C has dropped from 8.7 to 5.2 and while I have to keep with a low glycemic index diet, I beat the 'beetus.

I'm saying this because overcoming addiction is really, really hard, but you can do it. When you do, you'll look back and be happy that you did.

:unsmith: good work, friend

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
While I was at work today I made the mistake of trying to engage with some GC people in a chat about gender stuff and after one post got dogpiled by people taking things deliberately the wrong way. Luckily someone who'd had experience with that particular group got in contact with me and warned me off engaging further because they had a reputation for that sort of thing and even going to other more trans-friendly chat rooms and using bad-faith arguments until threads got locked, so I just blocked all notifications from the chat and started to ignore it. It was otherwise a good day, that was just an annoying mark on it.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I was in jury duty all week hearing testimony in a case where the charge was continued sexual assault of a minor. Don’t let the charge fool you though.

It was two minors.

:smith:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
went out to dinner for my birthday, got way, way more drunk than intended, only the second time I've gotten full blackout drunk, I'm usually way more careful. could also be my body just not handling alcohol as well as I used to. I usually have 3 drinks there and that gets me nice and comfortably drunk, but this time I had a fourth, and it just completely wrecked me. I have flickers of things that happened between getting up to leave and then "regaining consciousness" in my room(I never passed out, just forgot everything), throwing up, sitting curled up in the shower, throwing up some more, and just feel bad for putting everyone else through that. at least now I know never to go past that third drink if I go there again.

now I just gotta nurse this headache. ate some tums, drank a shitload of water, ate a bunch of bread, and it's mostly subsiding now, but still got a fair-too-slowly-dissipating headache.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.

oldpainless posted:

I was in jury duty all week hearing testimony in a case where the charge was continued sexual assault of a minor. Don’t let the charge fool you though.

It was two minors.

As in... one minor assaulted the other?

Somehow in my mind I'm like, "That would be better, at least!"

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

credburn posted:

As in... one minor assaulted the other?

No

Marcade
Jun 11, 2006

Who are you to glizzy gobble El Vago's marshmussy?

Got a huge abscess in my mouth that I'm debating going to the ER to have lanced. Can't see my dentist until Wednesday. Has led to me telling someone "it feels huge in my mouth" at least.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Very small First World Problem but I ordered a Transformers set on Amazon (pre-ordered some months ago). The box came last week!

it's the wrong set. so I sent it back and asked for the right one.

Got the box today! It is the same loving wrong set!

Apparently everyone else has been having the same issue because the reviews are all 1* and complaints about getting the wrong set.

And it's the only place that HAS this set. Even hasbro plus doesn't have it, only links to the Amazon page.

I mean I want it. But not enough to pay twice the price on ebay from scalpers.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
at least you're not an MTG or LOTR fan who ordered the LOTR Magic commander deck set for like 240 dollars, and then amazon broke open the box set and sent you one single deck of the set in a padded mailer so even that small part they sent you got messed up in transit

Poo In An Alleyway
Feb 12, 2016

Messaged into the group chat last week for my former classmates from college that the first anniversary of our lecturer passing away is tomorrow so hey maybe we should meet up for drinks to have a toast to him or something and just generally catch up.

Not one response.

Not one loving response.

GoodyTwoShoes
Oct 26, 2013
The Iceland volcano that starts with F is erupting, and all the camera feeds are facing the wrong direction so all I get to see is smoke, until someone can get up there and move the cameras (and their solar panels/batteries).

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

chromebooks loving suck, absolutely trash computers made by sadists and dipshits

dont get dementia and forget your password, or else when you use the account recovery options to reset your account password, Google will helpfully inform you that you still have to remember your old password on the chromebook itself, or else they'll wipe all the files off your computer, including the family photos you've been taking. thankfully their diamond support google expert has best practices on how to avoid forgetting passwords in the future.

I'm gonna rip the hard drive out of this thing, clone it, find a way to recover the files, and Frisbee the rest of this thing at whatever best buy manager/exec decided to carry them in the first place

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Poo In An Alleyway posted:

Messaged into the group chat last week for my former classmates from college that the first anniversary of our lecturer passing away is tomorrow so hey maybe we should meet up for drinks to have a toast to him or something and just generally catch up.

Not one response.

Not one loving response.

Two years ago on Earth Day, the plug was pulled on my friend/old professor. There was all kinds of talk of a nice memorial planned for him by the college.

They haven't done gently caress all still.

But I tell myself to be fair, it took me over a year to find the right tattoo for a memorial one. All kinds of poo poo came to mind, but I finally got a serpent starfish; it was one of the animals in his saltwater tank I ended up with, and the coolest one. And knowing Reavis, he probably wouldn't want some dumb rock memorial, he'd want one with all kinds of ocean animals and maybe some booze and probably a topless mermaid or two.

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

My dog, Peanut Rummskull Poppy Blutarsky, just died this afternoon. He was a feisty 16 1/2, until he very suddenly wasn't. He stopped eating, then drinking, despite us trying to spoon feed, or use small syringes of his mushed up food. The world is so much less without this doof.

I'm looking at this button on the cuff of my old coat. I had it on the first day after we brought home Peanut, and I didn't want to leave him in the apartment. I had him peeking out of my duffel as I boarded and sat across this smiling old lady on a Metro North train, just giving him scritches every chance I could.

She had just finished going on and on about how cute Peanut was, finishing with, "What an adorable little angel."

To which Peanut, as if on cue, puked out his breakfast. Mostly on me, but a bit of it making it on the now horrified little old lady.

This button still has a little bit of crusted up puppy barf that years of dry cleaning hasn't gotten out, and hopefully never will.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Sitting in the doctor's office for something that really fuckin should've been a phone call. Appointment was an hour and a half ago. I'm nocturnal by nature and I work nights; this is the middle of the night for me.
If this other dude on his phone a few seats away doesn't stop yelling YES into his phone every thirty drat seconds I'm gonna start yelling NO and see what happens.

Also my dad's car AC broke again.

Malachite_Dragon has a new favorite as of 18:13 on Jul 17, 2023

coldpudding
May 14, 2009

FORUM GHOST
I woke up at 3am to find several millipedes crawling around in my bed with me, now I'm tired and can't stop feeling itchy.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
how often do you wash your sheets

GoodyTwoShoes
Oct 26, 2013

Captain Invictus posted:

how often do you wash your sheets

'pedes will also come inside when it rains. I'm on the second floor, and I get crawly-bugs after rain, sometimes.

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

The next movie better not make me shave anything :(

An online friend i have known for 15-20 years died in his sleep on the 20th. his family was nice enough to let his online contacts know. Better than just never hearing from him again. :unsmith:

Waste of Breath
Dec 30, 2021

I only know🧠 one1️⃣ thing🪨: I😡 want😤 to 🔪kill☠️… 😈Chaos😱… I need🥵 to. [TIME⏰ TO DIE☠️]
:same:

GoodyTwoShoes posted:

'pedes will also come inside when it rains. I'm on the second floor, and I get crawly-bugs after rain, sometimes.

Least it isn't the other kind

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

winterwerefox posted:

An online friend i have known for 15-20 years died in his sleep on the 20th. his family was nice enough to let his online contacts know. Better than just never hearing from him again. :unsmith:

Friends are friends, that loving sucks. Goondolences :smith:

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
My wife had a really long day yesterday so I went to grab us some takeout last night. I had to slam on my brakes because some dipshit tried to merge into my lane without looking and half my dinner wound up on the floor of my car. I don't easily get mad while driving, even from near misses, but it really pissed me off and then I felt disappointed with myself for getting pissed off.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Ran out of money 9 days before the next payout, oops! Real glad the rent increase, higher power rate AND summer holidays with my son all happened at the same time.

Greatbacon
Apr 9, 2012

by Pragmatica
I loving hate technical interviews for software development.

Oh yeah, I've been doing this professionally for ten years; I excel in cloud infrastructure, project planning, and discovery & integration with 3rd party systems.

Oh, you want me to... implement a merge algorithm?

I HAVE BEEN DOING THIS FOR A DECADE I'M NOT A loving KID FRESH OUT OF COLLEGE THIS IS NOT WHAT THE JOB IS OR EVER WILL BE I KNOW I'VE BEEN IN THE loving KITCHEN!!!

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Greatbacon posted:

I loving hate technical interviews for software development.

Oh yeah, I've been doing this professionally for ten years; I excel in cloud infrastructure, project planning, and discovery & integration with 3rd party systems.

Oh, you want me to... implement a merge algorithm?

I HAVE BEEN DOING THIS FOR A DECADE I'M NOT A loving KID FRESH OUT OF COLLEGE THIS IS NOT WHAT THE JOB IS OR EVER WILL BE I KNOW I'VE BEEN IN THE loving KITCHEN!!!

Unfortunately more than 50% of the 'qualified' people going for this position right now will have made it to the interview stage and still fail at this hurdle. Just use the interview process to suss out if you can vibe with the team there too and let it wash over you.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
My car had a tire leak, and yesterday they found a nail close enough to the sidewall that it needed to be replaced. They talked me into getting another one with some slight cracking replaced to even it out, and I agreed and then immediately felt like a rube. Dropped over 500 bucks on a car with barely over 10000 miles.

My dad, dealing with his own tire issues, went there today and chewed them out, and now I kind of want to crawl in a hole.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Dr Christmas posted:

My car had a tire leak, and yesterday they found a nail close enough to the sidewall that it needed to be replaced. They talked me into getting another one with some slight cracking replaced to even it out, and I agreed and then immediately felt like a rube. Dropped over 500 bucks on a car with barely over 10000 miles.

My dad, dealing with his own tire issues, went there today and chewed them out, and now I kind of want to crawl in a hole.

Some years ago I went to get an oil change and the dude said he legally couldn't let me drive out on the tires I had because they were in such bad condition.

You think people would do that? Tell lies to get money?

lovely was last Sunday but I couldn't post it then. Our original male leopard tortoise, Chip, died. We had had him for over 30 years. And how did he die? Well, he found some orange plastic wrapping against the shed that I thought was out of range, and either tried to climb it, or eat it. Either way it got wrapped around his leg, and when he tried to push off it, it was stuck. He flipped himself on his side either trying to free himself or back away from the mess and get to some shade. And he died. Because we're in a heat wave still and so far the cool has been about 94* at night.

I didn't see him at morning or evening check-in the next day but didn't think much of it, because he and two of our younger females never are out at every check-in. My mom found him a day later. And I keep thinking if only I had just thrown out that wrapping because we didn't need it, and I thought it was too far back along the wall for anyone to get to, between the shed and wall and the stuff I had out to keep animals from getting stuck between there.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Just wasted a third of all my money buying a usb c to hdmi adapter to get my son's switch running on my tv cos he forgot the dock, only to find out Nintendo does some fuckery to make you only use their hardware. Lol, lmao. Should have googled it or whatever but idiot me assumed as long as the cables and whatnot match up it should work. Holy loving poo poo I am so upset.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Acid reflux in my sleep, waking up coughing and sputtering as it got in my windpipe. The absolute worst

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Biplane posted:

Just wasted a third of all my money buying a usb c to hdmi adapter to get my son's switch running on my tv cos he forgot the dock, only to find out Nintendo does some fuckery to make you only use their hardware. Lol, lmao. Should have googled it or whatever but idiot me assumed as long as the cables and whatnot match up it should work. Holy loving poo poo I am so upset.

You can get 3rd party docks that will work as well. It doesn’t need to be the official Nintendo one.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Doesn't really matter now, I can't afford to buy another.

GoodyTwoShoes
Oct 26, 2013

Captain Invictus posted:

Acid reflux in my sleep, waking up coughing and sputtering as it got in my windpipe. The absolute worst

:(:respek::(

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

Biplane posted:

Doesn't really matter now, I can't afford to buy another.

Is it not returnable?

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

I got heat exhaustion and it loving sucked

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

oldpainless posted:

Is it not returnable?

It's opened and "used", so no not really. I may get store credit which is useless :(

Waste of Breath
Dec 30, 2021

I only know🧠 one1️⃣ thing🪨: I😡 want😤 to 🔪kill☠️… 😈Chaos😱… I need🥵 to. [TIME⏰ TO DIE☠️]
:same:
E: thought better of this

Waste of Breath has a new favorite as of 02:30 on Aug 17, 2023

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.
I was about to complain about being busy at work today, but a guy on the train just broke down in tears begging for change, anything at all and there was nothing, nothing at all I could do to help.

coldpudding
May 14, 2009

FORUM GHOST
Had a bad reaction to a new medication and had to work all day feeling like caustic poison was being pumped into my neck and head while icy raindrops struck my face.

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.
I produced an improv variety show at a local brewpub that was designed to give other members of the community with lesser known groups an opportunity to perform. I had to cancel the show because nobody signed up.

My sister and her husband have been wanting a new dog for a while. She had expressed for a long time that she wanted to name it after a favorite Fleetwood Mac song, however, that song happens to be a racial slur for Romani people. A couple months ago we had a conversation about it where she fully acknowledged the word was a harmful slur. And I told her it would be unacceptable to name a dog that. A couple weeks ago they got that dog, and that dog has a racial slur for its name. And now I don't know how I'm going to confront them about it and let them know that I will never use that dogs name, and to do so without destroying my relationship with them.

After talking to my general practitioner doctor, many people in the community, and just simply analyzing every bit of my life, I'm realizing there's an extremely high likelihood that I am on the autism spectrum. I want to get proper diagnosis, but at my age there are very limited resources. Reaching out through the medical network, the only insured option I have has an over 9 month waiting list, and will cost me about $5,000 out of pocket, just to get a diagnosis. I need specialized treatment as this disorder has caused significant problems in my social life and mental state, and traditional therapy and medication have been useless.

And also I am stuck in a job I hate, and applied for a new job that seemed perfect for me. Everything about it was great. Fit my skills. Doing something that I felt was actually helpful. Then, somehow having missed it until the interview, I found out the job was seasonal. And so the bump in pay I would have gotten would be completely wiped out as there's no way I'd be able to find another job that pays as well, and isn't retail or service hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Spent most of the day in the ER with mom who somehow got food poisoning but they don't know from what. They put her on a gurney in the hallway and that's where we sat for about 10 hours, while they gave her a couple IVs, some painkillers, some anti-nausea medication(which didn't work), took some scans which showed nothing, and then discharged her. I won't say it was a waste of time since the IVs did some good, but jesus christ it should've been an easy few hours tops.

Also got placed right by the ambulance entrance, so we got to enjoy the company of some particularly crazy assholes coming in throughout our stay. From a pretty clearly schizophrenic old lady who was cute and entertaining as hell but also completely nuts, to a slicked-back-haired Italian dumbass who was definitely On Something escorted in by two cops and kept trying to leave, sexually harassed the younger nurses and EXTREMELY aggressively hit on them or catcalled any that walked by his gurney, started dropping N-bombs when the black security guard told him to knock it off, and proclaimed his worry whenever a nurse came to take his(or other patients') temperatures, loudly stating "that's not for putting in my rear end, is it? Cuz I don't go that way", and kept saying "hey, I'm a nice guy!". Just the biggest, greasiest, most red-faced obnoxious loser. Also an extremely drunk guy who also kept trying to sneak out, badly because he kept walking into things, and when they forced him onto a gurney he said "you ever do hard time, son? I did 28 years, for bank robbery" as if it would intimidate them. Apparently people like them are an extremely frequent occurrence, I'd lose my mind dealing with them peacefully, those emergency room personnel are saints. the Italian guy trying to pick fights with the security guard was just the most pathetic thing

Just an incredibly uncomfortable and tedious time made all the worse by nobody seeming to be able to do anything to improve mom's condition beyond the IV and then sending her home after a whole lot of nothing.