Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

It's Guitar World music. Be it Clapton or Vai or Abasi. It fuckin sucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

TheMightyBoops posted:

Charles Mingus.

That dude wrote some good stuff though.

And having seen Marcus Miller live, yeah, that guy is a definitely a wanker. Like, he knows his stuff and can compose a tune, but he also slaps 64th notes because that's also his thing. I saw him with a bunch of upcoming jazz wankers, and he was good about letting them get their spotlight too. So he's in Vai territory for me. Also he played a bass clarinet to switch it up, and I'm super into that. They're huge, expensive and not really suitable for me, but I still want one.

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

BonHair posted:

That dude wrote some good stuff though.
definitely

https://www.charlesmingus.com/mingus/cat-traning-program

Mahatma Goonsay
Jun 6, 2007
Yum

Turbinosamente posted:

Okay it's been bugging me: we brought up Jaco before, but I can't come up with any other bassists known for that virtuoso wank style of playing. Maybe Victor Wooten? I can think of lots of famous bass players, but none fit the bill.

Thundercat for sure.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s2qTe9V45kc

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

Dude that sounds like rear end. Sounds like a bunch of wet farts blowing off the stage.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!
I wonder where the Guitar World mindset comes from - I can see it and respect it (even if I don't enjoy it) in older artists who are maybe session musicians or whatever, so get really deep in the weeds with craft, but when it's some 20-30yr old with plug piercings and a bushy soulpatch and 7 string headless guitar sitting in front of a gaming PC with a cosmic visualiser...

...ah gently caress, that's it, isn't it? These guys are gamers aren't they? At heart, they're gamers.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
On the other hand, what level of technical performance is someone allowed to demonstrate before it’s not “wank” to some of you? Is John Coltrane wank? Is every guitarist or bassist who does solos wank?

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
The appeal to people outside of musicians makes it not wank

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

Henchman of Santa posted:

On the other hand, what level of technical performance is someone allowed to demonstrate before it’s not “wank” to some of you? Is John Coltrane wank? Is every guitarist or bassist who does solos wank?

Wank music is good, even though I don’t like it, it’s a way for musicians to make money when David Lee Roth doesn’t need a touring guitarist.

Jazz isn’t wank btw because I like it.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Spanish Manlove posted:

The appeal to people outside of musicians makes it not wank

But some of the people being called wank here are incredibly popular with non-musicians. Eric Clapton? Van Halen? These are some of the most successful rock musicians who ever lived. Nobody on the G3 Tour approaches the same stratosphere.

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

But some of the people being called wank here are incredibly popular with non-musicians. Eric Clapton? Van Halen? These are some of the most successful rock musicians who ever lived. Nobody on the G3 Tour approaches the same stratosphere.

A lot of actual wank is like Van Halen but Van Halen is not wank.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

TheMightyBoops posted:

A lot of actual wank is like Van Halen but Van Halen is not wank.

Yeah, I could hum some Clapton licks right now too. Same is true of Hendrix or Van Halen. Honestly, it could just be a wank on the blues continuum vs blues on the prog thing.

insane clown pussy
Jun 20, 2023

we need a three pronged miller test for wank

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

I think the only thing I will totally say is wank is music I hear where the song mostly just sounds like a backing track for the specific soloist who’s name is on the track. So in a sense for me it is the other stuff in the song that distinguishes it as wank. That Nuno song is a good example because all the non solo bits sounds like almost a fake song to me. The elements of a song are there but something is off.

Dukes Mayo Clinic
Aug 31, 2009

This handy rubric may be of help:

1) Does it have soul?
2) Can you sing along?
3) Can you feel it?
4) Can they play that same thing again?

Add 25% wank-factor for every negative response, and there you have it.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Dukes Mayo Clinic posted:

This handy rubric may be of help:

1) Does it have soul?
2) Can you sing along?
3) Can you feel it?
4) Can they play that same thing again?

Add 25% wank-factor for every negative response, and there you have it.

“Does it have soul” is another one of those meaningless concepts. It’s totally up to the listener. Unless it’s that video of Yngwie doing a “blues” solo—that definitely doesn’t have it.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Yeah, no poo poo it's subjective as gently caress. Something like Van Halen is definitely more technical than some wankery, especially if you want to include Clapton, but it's actually listenable. Meshuggah is another example that is definitely huffing technical farts, but also they made a bunch of surprisingly hummable tunes. It's all about the subjective ability to write songs as more than a theoretical composition.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

“Does it have soul” is another one of those meaningless concepts. It’s totally up to the listener. Unless it’s that video of Yngwie doing a “blues” solo—that definitely doesn’t have it.

Yeah, I agree, that's too subjective. There is a sterility to the stuff that sets off my wank alarm, but I think that's possibly due to the really clear and bright, but not distorted, tone the guitar often has and how it's mixed. I think maybe there's a lot of reverb and delay in there too. So, soulless isn't useful to me, but I think inorganic might be?

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

If the thread wants to hear the Event Horizon of wank try listening to Slash’s solo stuff. Someone needs to talk to Slash.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

TheMightyBoops posted:

Someone needs to talk to Slash.

Rather wouldn't, thanks.

insane clown pussy
Jun 20, 2023

TheMightyBoops posted:

I think the only thing I will totally say is wank is music I hear where the song mostly just sounds like a backing track for the specific soloist who’s name is on the track. So in a sense for me it is the other stuff in the song that distinguishes it as wank. That Nuno song is a good example because all the non solo bits sounds like almost a fake song to me. The elements of a song are there but something is off.

lol it's basically an even lamer version of fuel by metallica

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

If it has zero sex at every level it’s wank music, paradoxically.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

Car Seat Headrest aren't wanky though - it's a world of contrasts.

EDIT: I was going to cite Weezer at first, but Weezer *are* kind of wanky insofar as they are music about music, it's just that they have actual hooks. I don't know. Two-beers thoughts.

Disco Pope fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Aug 17, 2023

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
For the Love of God’s solo is the best go-to example of wank imo

there’s so much about the song that is genuinely fantastic and then…that happens

duodenum
Sep 18, 2005

It's not just straight-forward wankery, true wankers gently caress with time signatures so much that it's actively hostile to the casual listener. Oh, I keep stumbling over myself trying to "get" your wankery? Nah, no thanks.

again, this abomination
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vswDu3IlUbg

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Virgin Mathcore vs the Chad Bulerias

Krustic
Mar 28, 2010

Everything I say draws controversy. It's kinda like the abortion issue.

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

Does Buckethead get any?

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Krustic posted:

Does Buckethead get any?

He toured for a while with some chick called Big D that did some interpretive dance stuff during his shows; He was probably banging.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

That chicken fucks.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Chickenhead is the exception. There is something about him making fun of it all at the same time that he is the best shredder and a weirdo cool dude to boot that makes it kinda sexy.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

lmao true

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Buckethead does not have time for sex because he has to put out 10 new albums every month that nobody listens to.

Malaria
Oct 21, 2017

Buckethead is legitimately my favorite guitarist. I've seen him live a bunch of times. I've seen shows where he just shows up with a backing track that he can control and shreds your face off for an hour and a half, and I've seen him with full bands. Dude is my hero. He's the only "shred" guy I really like.

He also has a dance session mid show a lot and does nunchucks.

Also he handed me a bag of fake blood at a show once.

Buckethead rules.

He's also got a stupidly huge catalog of music. Like he's the only guy out there other than Frank Zappa with that much music out there.

I still hate myself for not buying one of his signature Les Paul's. They are like 10k plus now used.

Buckethead does not have time for sex because he has to put out 10 new albums every month that nobody listens to.

It's me. The guy who listens to his 10 albums a month. He's the best.

Malaria fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Aug 18, 2023

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Malaria posted:

I still hate myself for not buying one of his signature Les Paul's. They are like 10k plus now used.

I hate myself for selling the one I had...

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Thundercats doing some noodly virtuoso poo poo but its got vocals, traditional structure etc. It's not pure musos music I've heard it playing in bars. Its just funk.

DOPE FIEND KILLA G
Jun 4, 2011

TheMightyBoops posted:

Charles Mingus.
mingus plays nothing like jaco and is primarily respected as a composer and band leader

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

DOPE FIEND KILLA G posted:

mingus plays nothing like jaco and is primarily respected as a composer and band leader

It was a joke.

A guy being mad a Charles Mingus in 2023 just sounds funny to me. He’s actually written some of my favorite things I’ve ever heard. He does a thing where he’ll insert interludes of wah’d out sounding horns in unison that I think rules. Also some of his sax players did some wild stuff on some tracks.

TheMightyBoops fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Aug 18, 2023

former glory
Jul 11, 2011

If it can be referred to as “challenging” it’s going to be wank.

insane clown pussy
Jun 20, 2023

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gfb3dHG9Lmc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Is every guitarist or bassist who does solos wank?

:hai: