Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jjack229
Feb 14, 2008
Articulate your needs. I'm here to listen.

I AM GRANDO posted:

My bathroom sink drains slowly up to a certain point as water comes from the faucet faster than it can go down the drain, then empties quickly all the way if I let the water run long enough and allow a large enough volume of water to fill up the basin. After that, it starts draining slowly again and water once more fills up in the basin.

This is annoying to deal with. Is it something drain cleaner would fix, or just an engineering feature of the sink? I ask because I don’t want to damage the pipes and because the p-trap (maybe there’s another name for a trap that is a full loop) under the sink actually goes in a full loop-the-loop, like this one:

I did an image search to find that one, which is in a kitchen rather than a bathroom, but the shape is identical. I could imagine that the full loop means that some water would have to build up to force its way through a full loop, and that if the sink were draining slowly because of buildup, I’d never get to a moment where the sink empties completely and drains quickly for a moment. Should I just see if like liquid plumr or drano will make a difference, or is it all down to the weird trap?

I don't have an answer, but you should try the DIY thread or one of the more specific threads in the first post.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

What does flying the thin red line flag indicate? Is it just “I’m a volunteer firefighter” or is it chud light?

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

smackfu posted:

What does flying the thin red line flag indicate? Is it just “I’m a volunteer firefighter” or is it chud light?

There are thin X lines for all of the first/emergency responder professions and yeah red is for firefighters. It all started before Thin Blue Line became a chud mating call, but I don’t know how much the other colors have been chuddified (although it’s rare I see a thin red line without an accompanying blue line)

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Gobbeldygook posted:

I've read a number of reports from rural people who say they've asked a cable/DSL/etc ISP the cost to extend service out to them and the ISP gave them a $$$ price quote. Where would I start with finding that out from Comcast/Xfinity? Use their standard customer support and have them direct me to the appropriate department?

Yeah, you'll have to call your current or potential provider, start with general customer service, and explain that you are looking to have a service line run to your location. At my last job we had to research that as some of our locations were out in rural areas. I'd say be prepared though, as I think our quotes started out at about $5-10k to run a line out to the building in question. On the plus side, doing something like that should add some equity to your home, as eventually someone would have to do it.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

I AM GRANDO posted:

I did an image search to find that one, which is in a kitchen rather than a bathroom, but the shape is identical. I could imagine that the full loop means that some water would have to build up to force its way through a full loop, and that if the sink were draining slowly because of buildup, I’d never get to a moment where the sink empties completely and drains quickly for a moment. Should I just see if like liquid plumr or drano will make a difference, or is it all down to the weird trap?

That's a P trap, it's pretty normal stuff. I am not a plumber but I'd imagine it's not supposed to do that. You could replace it yourself for like $20 at a home store, it is not a gigantic project and they sell kits. You could get a plumber to take a look and figure out what's wrong with the geometry that's causing that, but that would probably cost more than just buying a new trap.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Drano also isn't going to hurt it, so it's a good first step.

I will say, I had an ac unit that drained into one in a non-kitchen bathroom and that was slowly building up dust and whatever particulate that I had to manually clean out because it wasn't dissolvable with drano. So if you see an extra little pipe leading off there mysteriously it may be worth popping it off and just looking in the loop and other pipe sections for obvious obstructions. Just remember that things tighten/loosen backwards on pipes from screws and such so you don't bust anything.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Manually disconnecting and cleaning out a P trap is disgusting but it's a good thing to familiarize yourself with, the majority of sink clogs can be easily fixed that way and it's very easy

It could also be a ventilation issue which is more complicated

e: imo save drano as a last resort because it can complicate using other methods. Also it's probably bad for the environment. Don't get me wrong I use it now and then, but only when I know I've exhausted the other options (p trap, plunger, snake) short of calling a plumber

Like if you use drano then you should think twice before opening the p trap, for example. Although if the drain is draining at all, you can flush it with lots of water and it should be safe

alnilam fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Aug 14, 2023

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Don't drano until after you've tried physically clearing any clogs with a snake, yeah. The snake is faster, safer, and generally more effective... it's just also more disgusting.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
If you remove the P trap, put a bucket under it even if you think the sink is clear.

Also Drano is only an issue for like 48 hours so just wait that long if you use it. I didn't consider the environmental issue though so listen to the other poster.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Also the humble plunger is a friend sometimes

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
Plunger, while blocking off the overflow drain. Be really aggressive with it. When you get a good suction over the drain, pull up as quickly and violently as you can. After that, I'd take off the P trap (the loop the loop) and just manually clean that out. The plunger can work wonders if you put a bit of muscle on it. When you get a good suction over the drain.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

apparently discord started requiring MFA a while back, and I don't remember my Authy password. Is there any way to claim my account? It says my email is already registered of course. Or do I need to put in a new email address?

Ironhead
Jan 19, 2005

Ironhead. Mmm.

If a business has a price listed wildly wrong on Uber Eats, what happens when you try to order the item? I was checking out a grocery store, and found a 15lb bag of good dog food listed at $2.49. On Chewy it's $31.

Will they turn around and "price adjust" for what its supposed to be? Does Uber have to eat it? Does the business?

I added it to my cart and noticed it said "Wet Dog Food" so I'm guessing they just have their listing messed up, and it's a single can for $2.49, which makes sense. But it specifically is listed as a 15lb bag (which is a pretty funny mental image, a 15lb bag of wet dog food) and shows a picture of dry dog food.

I guess my question still stands, if there is a mess up like that, who has to eat the cost? What would happen if you actually orderd it?

Miles Blundell
May 7, 2023

by Pragmatica
I'm pretty sure they'll just bring you the small can, and if you push the issue someone at Uber Eats customer service will issue you a refund and fix the picture. I've never used those services though, why not try it and find out? I'm pretty sure the business won't pay for Uber's mistakes in listing.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
If a business has listed wrong prices, they are nonetheless bound to honor those prices. Generally in stores you'll see signs like "we'll honor the price for 1 item, if you try to buy multiple then you only get 1 at the reduced price".

I don't know who all handles listing stuff on Uber Eats, but there's enough middlemen involved that I wouldn't be confident in getting to take advantage of the mis-priced item.

For my own question: does anyone know what the method of action is that produces "paxlovid mouth", a.k.a. the persistent bitter taste? Like, do the salivary glands excrete a bitter-tasting chemical, or is it a neurological thing, or something else?

Miles Blundell
May 7, 2023

by Pragmatica

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

If a business has listed wrong prices, they are nonetheless bound to honor those prices. Generally in stores you'll see signs like "we'll honor the price for 1 item, if you try to buy multiple then you only get 1 at the reduced price".

I don't know who all handles listing stuff on Uber Eats, but there's enough middlemen involved that I wouldn't be confident in getting to take advantage of the mis-priced item.

For my own question: does anyone know what the method of action is that produces "paxlovid mouth", a.k.a. the persistent bitter taste? Like, do the salivary glands excrete a bitter-tasting chemical, or is it a neurological thing, or something else?

Some antivirals other than paxlovid cause dysgeusia (persistant bad taste in your mouth) as well. I don't know that the exact cause is well understood in all cases and might be a different mechanism depending on the medication. It seems like the exact mechanism for paxlovid isn't clear but it might be a compositional change in saliva.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Many companies will honor the price mistakebut they are not bound legally to do so if it is a good-faith error (not deliberately done so as to deceive the public). Varies state to state but that's the general standard for most.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

regulargonzalez posted:

Many companies will honor the price mistakebut they are not bound legally to do so if it is a good-faith error (not deliberately done so as to deceive the public). Varies state to state but that's the general standard for most.

Good to know, thanks! I suspect that places like a grocery store just accept the occasional mis-priced item as the cost of doing business. I can't imagine they're thrilled by the idea of getting a really persistent customer who demands proof that the pricing mistake on their can of creamed corn was in good faith rather than a deliberate attempt to mislead them.

Miles Blundell posted:

Some antivirals other than paxlovid cause dysgeusia (persistant bad taste in your mouth) as well. I don't know that the exact cause is well understood in all cases and might be a different mechanism depending on the medication. It seems like the exact mechanism for paxlovid isn't clear but it might be a compositional change in saliva.

Thanks! So, in other words, "no, we don't know, or at least aren't certain".

I'm open to suggestions for ways to help cope with the sensation. I don't want to be chewing gum all day if I can avoid it.

Miles Blundell
May 7, 2023

by Pragmatica

Good to know, thanks! I suspect that places like a grocery store just accept the occasional mis-priced item as the cost of doing business. I can't imagine they're thrilled by the idea of getting a really persistent customer who demands proof that the pricing mistake on their can of creamed corn was in good faith rather than a deliberate attempt to mislead them.

Yeah generally the cost of making a little bit less on a single item is considered to be worth keeping the business from that customer, especially if it's a result of your own staff's mistake.

I'm open to suggestions for ways to help cope with the sensation. I don't want to be chewing gum all day if I can avoid it.

You can brush your teeth a few extra times today or find some ice to suck on to help reduce it but a pack of sugar-free gum is probably the most effective thing for Paxlovid induced dysgeusia. Rinsing with a baking soda/water mixture might help too, you could try that and see how long it provides relief.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?

I have Indian colleagues who work overseas and have noticed many of them have a single letter for one of their names, R Sriman, Patel D, etc. Is that generally an initial for a much longer given name or something else? I figure if it's a culturally insensitive question, better to be insensitive here than there.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

I tend to find people with Tamil names shorten them because they're a pain to write out in full. See for instance the current governor of Tamil Nadu https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/R._N._Ravi or the chief minister Mr Stalin https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M._K._Stalin

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
AFAIK Earl Grey tea is just black tea with oil of bergamot. Can you make your own just by mixing a bit of that essential oil into a cup of regular black tea from a teabag? Or does the oil need to go in an earlier step of the tea-leaf production?

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

How should I decide what mattress to buy? I'm not very picky but my wife is, so the foam one I picked up from Sam's Club for $250 12 years ago has lost its luster. Mattress stores are a nightmare, and the prices are insane. 99% of mattress content on the internet is clearly bought and paid for. The other 1% is reddit threads where every mattress currently available for purchase has exactly two threads, one saying they hate the mattress and it ruined their life, and one saying they bought a similar model ten years ago that they love so this one is probably also great. Mattresses seem to frequently go on super deep sales, so I guess I'm a sucker if I buy one on any day other than labor day? I feel like my best bet is a dowsing rod.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

The Moon Monster posted:

How should I decide what mattress to buy? I'm not very picky but my wife is, so the foam one I picked up from Sam's Club for $250 12 years ago has lost its luster. Mattress stores are a nightmare, and the prices are insane. 99% of mattress content on the internet is clearly bought and paid for. The other 1% is reddit threads where every mattress currently available for purchase has exactly two threads, one saying they hate the mattress and it ruined their life, and one saying they bought a similar model ten years ago that they love so this one is probably also great. Mattresses seem to frequently go on super deep sales, so I guess I'm a sucker if I buy one on any day other than labor day? I feel like my best bet is a dowsing rod.

The A/T mattress thread has you covered

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Covid thread recommendation is usually jolly ranchers or other hard candy.

Bobfromsales
Apr 2, 2010

Ironhead posted:

If a business has a price listed wildly wrong on Uber Eats, what happens when you try to order the item? I was checking out a grocery store, and found a 15lb bag of good dog food listed at $2.49. On Chewy it's $31.

Will they turn around and "price adjust" for what its supposed to be? Does Uber have to eat it? Does the business?

I added it to my cart and noticed it said "Wet Dog Food" so I'm guessing they just have their listing messed up, and it's a single can for $2.49, which makes sense. But it specifically is listed as a 15lb bag (which is a pretty funny mental image, a 15lb bag of wet dog food) and shows a picture of dry dog food.

I guess my question still stands, if there is a mess up like that, who has to eat the cost? What would happen if you actually orderd it?

Uber eats...eats the difference. They are in fact two separate transactions.

You are giving money to Uber(or any other shopping/delivery app)in exchange for what you see on their app.

Then the shopper/driver "independent contractor" goes to the store and does their best to complete a shopping list sent to them by the app. They checkout just like anyone else with a credit card belonging to said app.

The store itself has no idea who you are. What the shopper paid for that basket of goods is irrelevant to what the app decides to charge you(they all surcharge each item unless explicitly stated otherwise).

So, if for some reason you are able to get that 30lb bag of dog food for 2.50, the app was still charged the correct amount.

Blue Labrador
Feb 17, 2011

In the hotel business, is "Reservation Agent" just a fancy way to say Front Desk Worker? I got an interview for that coming up that pays nicely, but the description is fairly vague.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Blue Labrador posted:

In the hotel business, is "Reservation Agent" just a fancy way to say Front Desk Worker? I got an interview for that coming up that pays nicely, but the description is fairly vague.

i think it depends on the specific hotel because there are definitely many major hotel chains where when you call to make or discuss a reservation, you are talking to someone who works for the whole hotel corporation and is not on-site in a specific hotel, and i suspect they are in a call center somewhere

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Squirt (the cola brand/flavor) was something that worked for my wife and I. Seems like something pretty sour/sweet might work.

Blue Labrador
Feb 17, 2011

Earwicker posted:

i think it depends on the specific hotel because there are definitely many major hotel chains where when you call to make or discuss a reservation, you are talking to someone who works for the whole hotel corporation and is not on-site in a specific hotel, and i suspect they are in a call center somewhere

Ah, I haven't had that experience before, but that makes sense. This specific job is supposed to be on-site, but I wouldn't be surprised if it's relatively similar.

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

AFAIK Earl Grey tea is just black tea with oil of bergamot. Can you make your own just by mixing a bit of that essential oil into a cup of regular black tea from a teabag? Or does the oil need to go in an earlier step of the tea-leaf production?

I don't know about making Earl Grey tea, but pretty much everything says you shouldn't ingest "essential oils".

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

dirby posted:

I don't know about making Earl Grey tea, but pretty much everything says you shouldn't ingest "essential oils".

There are specific versions that are food-safe. Don't consume the other kind. Even with the food-safe ones though, they're overwhelmingly powerful, so I'd be cautious of adding even a drop to a single-serving drink.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
Are there any good stories that end with "and it was all a dream"?

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Tree Bucket posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Kov-gzuhDc

Trapick
Apr 17, 2006

Tree Bucket posted:

The Wizard of Oz (movie).

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

Tree Bucket posted:

An Occurrence at Owl Creek Bridge is a classic

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

Tree Bucket posted:

If movies count, and stretching the boundaries of the phrase to a lesser or greater degree, Mulholland Dr (A+ film), Lost Highway (B+), and Identity (B, as long as you skip the last 30 seconds).

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Alice in Wonderland was all a dream.

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG

Tree Bucket posted:

Inception.

Or was it? :iiam:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
I have a Dell laptop that I bought a few years ago that has one of those clunky chargers - https://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/dell-74-mm-barrel-90-w-power-adapter-with-1meter-power-cord-united-states/apd/492-bbhg/pc-accessories

I noticed that when using my friends Macbook USB-C charger, it works on my laptop. The Apple charger is around 60w while my Dell one is 90w - will I have any issues if I replace the clunky Dell one with something smaller and use USB-C to charge my laptop?

I was looking on Amazon and I see some Anker USB-C charging ports that are 65w - should I get a higher wattage one or will this work?