Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
angrily stomping out into the middle of the quiet, confused stadium in his dressing gown and slippers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

he never had the makings of a varsity athlete

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
"Dis Tostitos salsa has pulp. I like da salsa dat says some pulp"

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Would've been an Escalade commercial.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

woke up this mornin, got myself some pulp

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Ainsley McTree posted:

woke up this mornin, got myself some pulp

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S6eqqOhETeM

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Michael Gandolfini pinky swearing a little cartoon Italian chef while the theme song plays.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

carmela’s karaoke singing at the cabin, good lord

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

gently caress me? gently caress you!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ctfsU06O3CI

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

They hated Futanari because His posts were shit.
In Camelot was playing in the background earlier and it got me thinking about Fran's relationship with animals. The first thing we find out about her is she worked in the fur department; in the JFK story the fur she wears is a pivotal detail (if the story is to be believed); in pretty much every scene she's preparing some kind of meat to feed Tony and then Johnny in flashback; she has the dog put down seemingly out of inconvenience based on the reasoning she gives. Tony loves animals and Fran's treatment of them doesn't raise an eyebrow as the cruelty is never directly done by her, but she is the passive beneficiary of it in the procurement of fur, meat, etc. and she actually doesn't seem to care about any of the harm that goes into that, as evidenced by her smoking when Johnny had emphysema. As the episode goes on we see more confirmation that she's actually not a very nice person, but some of the red flags are there early on.

A great "show don't tell" is AJ's cowed demeanor when being dropped off at the very beginning of this scene. With us not seeing the actual argument between him and Tony that would have taken place on the car ride over it's like, woah, you know that was a bad one.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

https://twitter.com/akkkkuuuuuu/status/1692002274359345362?s=46&t=BHs6Pl38GJXGN2Y4xeriNA

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

did AJ soprano post that

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Dokapon Findom posted:

In Camelot was playing in the background earlier and it got me thinking about Fran's relationship with animals. The first thing we find out about her is she worked in the fur department; in the JFK story the fur she wears is a pivotal detail (if the story is to be believed); in pretty much every scene she's preparing some kind of meat to feed Tony and then Johnny in flashback; she has the dog put down seemingly out of inconvenience based on the reasoning she gives. Tony loves animals and Fran's treatment of them doesn't raise an eyebrow as the cruelty is never directly done by her, but she is the passive beneficiary of it in the procurement of fur, meat, etc. and she actually doesn't seem to care about any of the harm that goes into that, as evidenced by her smoking when Johnny had emphysema. As the episode goes on we see more confirmation that she's actually not a very nice person, but some of the red flags are there early on.

I like to think the reason Tony doesn't have a dog now is AJ tells his even-more-bougie girlfriend and her friends that they had a dog but she got hit by a car and he doesn't want to go through that again. Fran also lost any sympathy too when she had a dog put down because she didn't want to be bothered, but it's not like there was a great store of sympathy by that point.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Tony was able to convince himself that Livia forced Johnny to give the dog to Fran.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

I gotta give robert iler credit for the way he always drags on the first vowel as he speaks, whenever AJ's about to obviously bullshit his parents. "Iiii could run a chain of clubs, aa-and be very successful!!!! :haw:"

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I’m pretty sure they had young Tony in the season three and five flashbacks do the same thing. I specifically remember it in the Fran episode when he remembers Livia having the miscarriage and being forced to lie for his father.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
AH TOL YOU THAT CRACK WAS SOME BAAAAD poo poo

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

Besides opening and closing credits songs, how many examples of non-diegetic music are in the series? At first I thought there weren't any but I realized there's actually quite a few. Tiny Tears, Through and Through, Dolphins, most of the episode Commendatori features some kind of music in the transitional scenes. The jingle bells in 'To Save Us All From Satan's Power' is probably the most noticeable and out of place sounding, though.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Do you think AJ gave Tony's ghost a pinky swear at Tony's funeral?

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Tony Soprano is still alive and still with Carmela and they live in Flahridah now and once a year Meadow brings the little bambinos and bambina down from Long Island for a visit to bounce on his knee and go to the beach.

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.

Dokapon Findom posted:

Besides opening and closing credits songs, how many examples of non-diegetic music are in the series? At first I thought there weren't any but I realized there's actually quite a few. Tiny Tears, Through and Through, Dolphins, most of the episode Commendatori features some kind of music in the transitional scenes. The jingle bells in 'To Save Us All From Satan's Power' is probably the most noticeable and out of place sounding, though.

I’d say that weird William S. Burroughs spoken word thing in “Members Only” is the most noticeable and out of place.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

I had a dream last night where they released the secret alternate last season. All I remember about it is that it ended with Tony lowtaxing himself

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

Van Helsing, let's go

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

A German shepherd's shaved rear end in a top hat won first place

The cracks definitely begin to show in S6. I watched a bunch over the weekend and I felt like I must have been missing episodes the way things happen so abruptly. Kelly is introduced out of nowhere, her first line is to tell us she's pregnant. Almost feels like they had all these B plot ideas and wanted to use them all before ending the show.

Its not like its all bad, it just doesn't have the same finesse as the rest of the series.

I know violence isn't the answer irl, but in the damned show, boy do I want Tony to demolish AJ. He makes Meadow look like a model child.

codo27 fucked around with this message at 11:58 on Aug 21, 2023

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I think the idea was to introduce Kelly with the same amount of thought Chris put into asking her to marry him when she got pregnant. She was just another woman he slept with prior to that, not his girlfriend.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Yeah I felt like it was very much intended for the audience to be,"Who the hell is this?" given how long he and Adrianna were together, how long he took that relationship for granted, how terrible a partner he was, the horrific way it all ended.... and then he's just casually marrying some lady we never saw before who is also pregnant and he's getting everything he basically denied Adrianna their entire relationship before then ending her life itself.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

I'm sure it also has something to do with it being the same episode he starts using heroine again.

Man I completely forgot how monsignor Jughead gets like 1 scene in early s6 then we just never see him again. Not even a scene in TMSoN where he's an alter boy mackin on some church ladies.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Is he somehow connected to Edie Falco IRL? He was with her on Nurse Jackie too.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
He also played the SORT team member that covers for her after the riot on Oz.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

Kevyn posted:

I’d say that weird William S. Burroughs spoken word thing in “Members Only” is the most noticeable and out of place.

they also did an opening montage earlier with Frank Sinatra in the first ep of either season 2 or 3

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

oh, and the episode where FBI tries to wiretap their house, there’s a mix of Sting and Detective Music in a way that’s clearly non-diegetic

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

ulvir posted:

oh, and the episode where FBI tries to wiretap their house, there’s a mix of Sting and Detective Music in a way that’s clearly non-diegetic

Yes, that's what I'm looking for. The other instances of opening or closing songs I don't count

(The detective music in question is the Peter Gunn theme; musically I thought it was a brilliant mash-up but the episode in retrospect is a big nothing, absolute bottom tier)

Kevyn posted:

Of all the music choices this one perplexes me the most. Not a fan

Dokapon Findom fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Aug 21, 2023

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

That scene had real “scrambling to rewrite the season because Nancy Marchand died” energy. Can’t blame em

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

The FBI stuff at that point doesn’t really result in much

The bugged lamp ends up a big nothingburger. It isn’t until Adrianna gets caught for drugs that the FBI stuff really picks up.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Dokapon Findom posted:

Of all the music choices this one perplexes me the most. Not a fan

Honestly I kinda like the.. piece? But yeah it definitely feels out of place

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Pope Corky the IX posted:

He also played the SORT team member that covers for her after the riot on Oz.

I completely forgot about that. I always confuse him with McManus too.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear

FlamingLiberal posted:

The bugged lamp ends up a big nothingburger.

i thought that was great though

it was funny but it also reinforced how precarious Tony's freedom was

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Yeah, all that setup for the lamp and then Meadow just grabs it and takes it back to her dorm was loving hilarious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

I like that there's a series of informants and bugs and potential assassinations that get SO CLOSE to nailing tony only to be foiled by happenstance or dumb luck just in the nick of time throughout the entire series, and the bugged lamp fits nicely into that category

His survival and success and freedom throughout the series is always hanging by a series of fragile threads, some of which he never even knows about.