Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

goatface posted:

I think this is when you traditionally post nobody-plays-past-level-12.png.txt

I made a d20 product that only goes to level 10. No regrets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

it is very very funny how quickly everything dies off after level 5

Zurreco
Dec 27, 2004

Cutty approves.
Without having seen the source data, I feel like the term "campaign" there is being conflated to mean "people making characters and playing in a group." The majority of one shots I have played in were somewhere between 4 and 8 so people could try out subclasses and feats without committing to a whole campaign. If your group does not collectively gain a level, you are not in a campaign.

Also, D&DB and WoTC purposefully teamed up via Lost Mines of Phandelver during the pandemic. That means that a huge influx of new players played the free introductory 1-5 campaign specifically on D&DB which skews the data a bit.

Zurreco fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Aug 12, 2023

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

I would be curious to know if there's a way they can tell how many of those characters have been played. I have personally rolled up a lot of characters in the 3 to 5 range that I wasn't ever planning on using. Sometimes they're NPCs, sometimes they're an idea I had that I wanted to sock away for later, and if I get the chance to play I usually roll up multiplayer characters as I figure out what I want to play. Curious how much of that is folks who use it like I do.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Zurreco posted:

Without having seen the source data, I feel like the term "campaign" there is being conflated to mean "people making characters and playing in a group." The majority of one shots I have played in were somewhere between 4 and 8 so people could try out subclasses and feats without committing to a whole campaign. If your group does not collectively gain a level, you are not in a campaign.

Also, D&DB and WoTC purposefully teamed up via Lost Mines of Phandelver during the pandemic. That means that a huge influx of new players played the free introductory 1-5 campaign specifically on D&DB which skews the data a bit.

This was pre 2020.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Yeah I think that means "joined a campaign on D&d beyond." Which means more like "actually played at least one session".

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Yeah I think that means "joined a campaign on D&d beyond." Which means more like "actually played at least one session".

This is just an aggregate of characters created. It doesn't actually correlate to games actually played. That's why the number for level 20 are so high. That's just people mocking up full builds.

Basically, all the infographics from DDB ever made are pretty worthless and don't ever match actual play patterns.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer
Yeah it's kind of pointless to see those numbers unless they filter it out to only show character that have more than a few hours playtime

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
That seems like a very reasonable spread to me, tbh

gurragadon
Jul 28, 2006

That chart pretty much mirrors the levels that I've gotten two in my actual play and the likelihood I would reach them. I would have expected the level 20 bump to be a little bit higher from people playing high level one-shots and short campaigns to see what high level play is like.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Mederlock posted:

Yeah it's kind of pointless to see those numbers unless they filter it out to only show character that have more than a few hours playtime

I have characters in multiple "campaigns" where the characters were just mocked up in DDB and then imported into R20 or printed out and taken to stores/cons. "Playtime" is a useless metric.

Also, because of limited slots, characters get moved in and out of campaigns all the time.

Again, because of how DDB characters are used, the "data" may as well be tea leaves.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Dexo posted:

it is very very funny how quickly everything dies off after level 5

Isn't this just demonstrating Benford's Law?

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

Asterite34 posted:

Isn't this just demonstrating Benford's Law?
Doesn't seem to fit the distribution well. Assuming all of the rounding errors cancel out perfectly the leading digits have a distribution of
code:
1	24%
2	11%
3	15%
4	12%
5	14%
6	9%
7	7%
8	6%
9	4%
At the high end I guess it does fit reasonably-ish, but not 1-5. Of course the levels are constrained within the 1-20 range so it would probably be pretty weird if it actually followed Benford's law.

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
So, I've been playing a lot of BG3 and "got the bug" to do some more D&D. I have pretty basic experience with D&D as a player and as a DM, a few campaigns as player, one as a DM, everything went mostly ok, also i'm a goon so i'm innately familiar with RPG rulesets, having spent my childhood consuming the internet and text MUDs, anyway

here's where I'm at:
-I picked up the core books, because I wanted some paper in my damned hands
-I'm checking out D&D Beyond, and all that gives you access to, including the adventures and whatnot.
-Here's where I'm stumbling:

Is there any way to move assets and adventure poo poo (tokens, arts, maps, etc) into something like Roll20? I think there was a chrome extension that turned into VTT Foundry

Now VTT Foundry seems to have that function, where it can scrape poo poo from D&DB to use, but that poo poo is $50.

So what I'm trying to find out now is:
Is roll20 still good at a free tier for manipulating assets, tokens, etc and showing rolls, and is there a way to easily import whatever I have access to at beyond?

If Roll20 doesn't really do it that well and there's not an extension or scraper or whatever, anyone have familiarity with VTT Foundry and possibly also using resources from D&DB imported?

Is there an easy third option?

I'm trying to make this as painless on myself as possible with regards to image asset and token fuckery, and keeping track of people's locations, current hps, etc. so I can focus on writing stuff I like and making secrets and plot hooks and whatnot :(

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
so I'll try to be oblique.
If you want a vtt that integrates with DNDBeyond, check out AboveVTT.

It's not as complex as other VTTs, but I found it easy to use.

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Trivia posted:

If you want a vtt that integrates with DNDBeyond, check out AboveVTT.

It's not as complex as other VTTs, but I found it easy to use.

Perfect, thank you!

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Roll20 easily integrates with Beyond with the Beyond20 Chrome plugin, it's how I play all of my games

Yusin
Mar 4, 2021

Wizards is going to come out with it's own tabletop that will seemingly integrate with Beyond, but that is still a few years away from launch.

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

change my name posted:

Roll20 easily integrates with Beyond with the Beyond20 Chrome plugin, it's how I play all of my games

This is good to know as well, I just kinda halted when the extension blasted me with foundry info, I'll dig in some more tonight

Zurreco
Dec 27, 2004

Cutty approves.
Roll20 is the best free VTT. Foundry is a better VTT but it requires purchase, requires installation, and everyone I have played with says you basically have to use DDB character sheets since the Foundry UI is not friendly for making/modifying PCs. I feel that DDB character sheets, though thorough, are a nightmare to navigate if you haven't been at it for a while. If your players know what they are doing with their character sheets, do everyone a favor and don't force them to make a character sheet in DDB. e: The one time I played in Foundry I was told that we had to make characters in DDB since there was integration. It was... not ideal.

Seconding Beyond20. I use it to roll from DDB monster statblocks into Roll20 and it saves a buttload of time.

Zurreco fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Aug 16, 2023

slicing up eyeballs
Oct 19, 2005

I got me two olives and a couple of limes

fwiw I'm running my first 5e campaign in foundry and I'm sure the stock install is a challenge to work with but with the right mods installed I've found it's pretty simple. after using the ddb importer i now have access to not just all of my own digital books, but I had a friend let me log into their account to import all of theirs as well. now I can drag and drop classes, feats, items, spells etc from that organized database and onto a given sheet, which is a godsend for creating npcs.

on the players side there's a minor orientation but once you get the hang of the sheet format it's pretty simple to not just level up (also mods for that iirc) but to customize things like damage rolls, weapons etc. I also use an exporter mod to turn their sheets into pdfs to review at leveling up etc.

e:

Trivia posted:

I cant speak for other VTTs, but AboveVTT has all monster tokens pre-made, so the only thing you have to do is spawn them.

ok that actually rules though, one of the most tedious bits of upkeep is, when I use a monster for the first time, assigning a top-down or unique token if there's one missing.

slicing up eyeballs fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Aug 16, 2023

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

My general opinion is use Above or Roll20 until you want paid features of Roll20, then just buy Foundry once rather than pay a monthly fee.

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
so I'll try to be oblique.
I cant speak for other VTTs, but AboveVTT has all monster tokens pre-made, so the only thing you have to do is spawn them.

LMoP is also free on DNDB so there's your easy starter adventure.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.
My group is doing a level 18 one-shot for a players birthday next week; a pro-wrestling/american gladiator style dungeon crawl. I’ve never played 5e at that high a level, any recommendations on fun builds?

Zurreco
Dec 27, 2004

Cutty approves.
If you are comfortable with 5e as a whole, that sounds like a great opportunity to play a high STR or high DEX Bard. Otherwise, Barbarian seems like the safe bet. Do you have a favorite pro wrestler or gladiator to work off of?

E-flat
Jun 22, 2007

3-flat
Man what class would the undertaker be

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

E-flat posted:

Necrophile

imagine dungeons
Jan 24, 2008

Like an arrow, I was only passing through.
Cleric of Death for sure. He’s got powers from beyond the grave.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

E-flat posted:

So the Undertaker just doesn't stay dead...obviously. So I would start by making him Reborn Lineage as his Race.

Further the undertaker is tough as nails, usually no-selling most hits against him. So I would go with Barbarian, specifically Zealot Barbarian (as he is really hard to kill, and just doesn't stay dead)

Further, the Undertaker is a skilled unarmed combatant, so I'd take 3 levels in Fighter, giving him access to the Battle Master subclass and the Unarmed fighting style.

So something like a 17 Zealot Barbarian/3 Battle Master Fighter. The level 14 feature of Zealot Barbarian would essentially make the Undertaker just not die whenever he should, and between his lineage and Zealot features even if he "dies" he can just come back very easily. For ASI's I'd give the Undertaker the Skill Expert Feat so he can have Expertise in Athletics (making him a great grappler), otherwise I'd pump up his strength and con.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.
I’m going with an illusionist wizard; I talked to the DM and got him to go along with Mirage Arcane + Malleable Illusion nonsense as long as I’m creative with it. Im picturing a gnome in Chris Angel’s wardrobe.

imagine dungeons
Jan 24, 2008

Like an arrow, I was only passing through.
The most important part of the Undertaker is his ability to turn off all the lights in a room at once.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer

imagine dungeons posted:

The most important part of the Undertaker is his ability to turn off all the lights in a room at once.

So, access to the Darkness spell?

Aniodia
Feb 23, 2016

Literally who?

I just started working at my FLGS last week, and Friday was our Adventurer League night. From what I saw, there was a bunch of new people that showed up, and were it not for a DM who apparently was flaky but managed to show last week, I would've been roped into running a game. Not like I would've minded, as it would be playing D&D on the clock, but there was definitely a moment of scrambling to find an adventure for me to run at the last minute.

So that this doesn't happen again, I started looking into the rules and regulations of AL (well, what I could find, anyway). It seems that I need to run approved modules, and can't asspull an adventure myself? If that's true, then could I get recommendations for what are some of the better modules to run for AL, even if they're not free (as I could write it off as a business expense)?

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Lost mines of phandelver from the starter set and Dragon of Icespire peak from the essentials kit are both Adventurers league legal and highly recommended for new players. Have a stack of pre-rolled character sheets handy and you can get started in either, no problem

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
Beneath the Fetid Chelimber/Chelimber’s Descent take a little bit of finagling, but were both a good time when I ran them for AL a few years ago. Wandering through a marsh and fighting ogres and then down into a wizard’s sunken tower that actually makes an attempt at explaining why there are needless puzzles everywhere.

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

Looks like they cut a deal to get the non-WOTC published Critical Role source book into D&D Beyond. Is that the first 3rd party product they've put up?

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Funzo posted:

Looks like they cut a deal to get the non-WOTC published Critical Role source book into D&D Beyond. Is that the first 3rd party product they've put up?

Sorta?

They had the League of Legends thing they added, and I think removed, and they had some other stuff that they removed.

But this is the first third party stuff they've added since WotC bought them.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Halp, new ish GM questions!

Do attack spells get proficiency bonus, apart from the ability modifier?

If a ranged weapon uses the dexterity modifier, does the dexterity also modify damage? This seems a little odd with, as was my players example, a crossbow (though you could argue better dex makes you aim better).

What is a spell focus? Does it mean you can swap your focus for any material component, or am I way off base?

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Tias posted:

Halp, new ish GM questions!

Do attack spells get proficiency bonus, apart from the ability modifier?

Yes

quote:

If a ranged weapon uses the dexterity modifier, does the dexterity also modify damage? This seems a little odd with, as was my players example, a crossbow (though you could argue better dex makes you aim better).
Yes

quote:

What is a spell focus? Does it mean you can swap your focus for any material component, or am I way off base?

Mostly yes. A spell focus can replace any material component that doesn’t have a cost listen in gold. It’s mostly a style thing if you want to be a caste who reaches into a pouch to get magic bits and bobs, or casting with a wand or staff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Wanna be the one guy who refuses to use a spell focus and instead spends multiple hours of every game painstakingly shopping around for the best deal on bulk quantities of bat poo poo and twigs