Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Buck Wildman)

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

literal dlc fodder

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Okay that sucks lol I got kinda excited when I saw the cartoon. Am increasingly certain I will be playing this game under protest but, hell, Gamepass ftw so what can you do

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

It's pretty low down my list of games but I will play it at some point, it's just been a while since the last good Todd game and it sorta looks intentionally dull, as confirmed by "the mechs are just decorative"

Buffer
May 6, 2007
I sometimes turn down sex and blowjobs from my girlfriend because I'm too busy posting in D&D. PS: She used my credit card to pay for this.
somebody should bring back the OG D&D concept of a fighter where as you level you get like rank promotions and a retinue.

So like yea, your level 20 fighter is now a general or whatever.

Actually that's probably why it went away, ordering an army to kill a dragon isn't as fun as wizard gunning it I guess?

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Wizards of the coast can do whatever it wants with classes. Problems of Baldur’s Gate 3 aren't directly related to it using the dungeons and dragons rules.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

i finally bothered to play ffx2 the entire way through and i think if you include it in the main series it might be the second worst entry. possibly even the absolute worst. i realize why i never finished it back at release

the combat system is not anywhere near as good as people like to think and the story was bad then and even worse now

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
I used to think BG3 was extremely horny

Now I think it is just embarrassingly horny

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost

triple sulk posted:

i finally bothered to play ffx2 the entire way through and i think if you include it in the main series it might be the second worst entry. possibly even the absolute worst. i realize why i never finished it back at release

the combat system is not anywhere near as good as people like to think and the story was bad then and even worse now

I bounced off it at release and tried again immediately after doing the ffx remaster earlier this year.

My wife, who had watched thru the whole ffx remaster with me, put up with about 15 minutes of ffx2 before finding something else to do. Her eyes rolled harder than she did watching the opening of Bayonetta.

I played for about 6 hours and then realized I really wasn't enjoying it on any level. I think part of the issue was that I'm driven to try and max out my AP gain in fights, but thats not actually a fun way to play.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

One More Fat Nerd posted:

I bounced off it at release and tried again immediately after doing the ffx remaster earlier this year.

My wife, who had watched thru the whole ffx remaster with me, put up with about 15 minutes of ffx2 before finding something else to do. Her eyes rolled harder than she did watching the opening of Bayonetta.

I played for about 6 hours and then realized I really wasn't enjoying it on any level. I think part of the issue was that I'm driven to try and max out my AP gain in fights, but thats not actually a fun way to play.

i've tried to get my wife to play more games as a shared interest and wanted her to play through ffx, but as soon as she saw lulu she kinda lost interest. i could probably try to convince her to just ignore the one particularly stupid character design (let's be real that 95% of spira's population looks ridiculous, but lulu is not great) and i think she would like it, plus the ctb system kicks rear end and is much more manageable for a non gamer than atb. it's also got one of the more coherent plots once you understand the whole zanarkand concept.

x2 takes it to a whole new level of terrible though. i have no idea what they were thinking beyond the obvious.

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

Buffer posted:

somebody should bring back the OG D&D concept of a fighter where as you level you get like rank promotions and a retinue.

So like yea, your level 20 fighter is now a general or whatever.

Actually that's probably why it went away, ordering an army to kill a dragon isn't as fun as wizard gunning it I guess?

Maybe in a videogame but look at all this extra horseshit you'd have to roll for:

quote:

Table 16: Fighter's Followers
Roll percentile dice on each of the following subtables of Table 16: once for the leader of the troops, once for troops, and once for a bodyguard (household guards) unit.
Leader
Die Roll Leader (and suggested magical items)
01-40 5th-level fighter, plate mail, shield, battle axe +2
41-75 6th-level fighter, plate mail, shield +1, spear +1, dagger +1
76-95 6th-level fighter, plate mail +1, shield, spear +1, dagger +1, plus 3rd-level fighter, splint mail, shield, crossbow of distance
96-99 7th-level fighter, plate mail +1, shield +1, broad sword +2, heavy war horse with horseshoes of speed
00 DM's Option
Troops/Followers
Die Roll Troops/Followers (all 0th-level)
01-50 20 cavalry with ring mail, shield, 3 javelins, long sword, hand axe; 100 infantry with scale mail, polearm*, club
51-75 20 infantry with splint mail, morning star, hand axe; 60 infantry with leather armor, pike, short sword.
76-90 40 infantry with chain mail, heavy crossbow, short sword; 20 infantry with chain mail, light crossbow, military fork
91-99 10 cavalry with banded mail, shield, lance, bastard sword, mace; 20 cavalry with scale mail, shield, lance, long sword, mace; 30 cavalry with studded leather armor, shield, lance, long sword
00 DM's Option (Barbarians, headhunters, armed peasants, extra-heavy cavalry, etc.)
*Player selects type.

Elite Units
Die Roll Elite Units
01-10 10 mounted knights; 1st-level fighters with field plate, large shield, lance, broad sword, morning star, and heavy war horse with full barding
11-20 10 1st-level elven fighter/mages with chain mail, long sword, long bow, dagger
21-30 15 wardens: 1st-level rangers with scale mail, shield, long sword, spear, long bow
31-40 20 berserkers: 2nd-level fighters with leather armor, shield, battle axe, broad sword, dagger (berserkers receive +1 bonus to attack and damage rolls)
41-65 20 expert archers: 1st-level fighters with studded leather armor, long bows or crossbows (+2 to hit, or bow specialization, if using that optional rule)
66-99 30 infantry: 1st-level fighters with plate mail, body shield, spear, short sword
00 DM's Option (pegasi cavalry, eagle riders, demihumans, siege train, etc.)

Are you gonna wanna roll dice for an extra 40 guys who probably just all get immediately nuked by a fireball? If i was dming a game where some rear end in a top hat wanted a horde of dweebs I'd be doing my god damnedest to kill them off asap

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

turn off the TV posted:

i appreciate that one of the first things that you get in bg3 is an item that raises your int to 17 so i can dump it and still be a good wizard

what

where do you get that

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

dead gay comedy forums posted:

what

where do you get that

kill the ogres in the goblin town

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Hatebag posted:

Maybe in a videogame but look at all this extra horseshit you'd have to roll for:

Are you gonna wanna roll dice for an extra 40 guys who probably just all get immediately nuked by a fireball? If i was dming a game where some rear end in a top hat wanted a horde of dweebs I'd be doing my god damnedest to kill them off asap

Maybe you should dm a better game then.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Hatebag posted:

a good dm would look at that table and simplify it into a single roll because they don't have time for all that bullshit

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

Lostconfused posted:

Maybe you should dm a better game then.

I've never run a 2e game, seems horrible. I've only run 5e but it'd be fun to run a game that was maybe a bit more streamlined and balanced. Maybe shadowrun or that lovecraft one could be fun

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

a good dm would look at that table and simplify it into a single roll because they don't have time for all that bullshit

Yes that's why I would simply kill them all

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Hatebag posted:

Yes that's why I would simply kill them all

bad dm imo

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost

Hatebag posted:

I played a lot of 2e and the fighters minions were always a plot device thing, especially given that only the bodyguard was potentially useful against anything nasty (your army doesnt have magic weapons, so even calling in arrow/crossbow volleys from offscreen are useless against anything that requires +1 or better, or a caster with Immunity To Normal Missiles up).

Same with the 3.X equivalent, the Leadership feat, but at least there the cohort bodyguard was always just 2 levels below you and could be any class. (We had several small parties that used that feat to have a cleric or bard available).

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Hatebag posted:

I've only run 5e but it'd be fun to run a game that was maybe a bit more streamlined and balanced.

Have you ever played Fiasco? the latest version of it is card-based but it's a really good intro to GM-less Story Based RPGs, and it's a loving blast. It's like collaboratively writing the story of a Farce using pre-made motivations, settings, relationships, etc.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Tavern Brawler Monk is good, great damage output.

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

If someone wants to be annoying and have a bunch of extra dice rolls so their turns take forever they're being rude to everyone else monopolizing all the game time and they deserve to be attacked by any means available. If you can't be a petty vindictive rear end in a top hat you have no business being a dm

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Sounds like you should all just play video games then if social interactions are that difficult.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
i mean the real solution when running a game where one of the players has a bunch of companions is for the group to forget that they exist until they're needed and someone says "hey don't we have those guys with us still?"

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

Have you ever played Fiasco? the latest version of it is card-based but it's a really good intro to GM-less Story Based RPGs, and it's a loving blast. It's like collaboratively writing the story of a Farce using pre-made motivations, settings, relationships, etc.

Looked this up and it seems like it's got potential. Setting up a coen brothers game sounds like a lot of fun

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

i mean the real solution when running a game where one of the players has a bunch of companions is for the group to forget that they exist until they're needed and someone says "hey don't we have those guys with us still?"
just give the fighter a "get em boys" ability where a bunch of goons come in and clobber all the enemies before running off, or topple a giant pillar on top of the boss

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Hatebag posted:

Looked this up and it seems like it's got potential. Setting up a coen brothers game sounds like a lot of fun

i'm lucky to have a friend that gets like every tabletop game and sifts through all the crappy ones for me lol

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

One More Fat Nerd posted:

I played a lot of 2e and the fighters minions were always a plot device thing, especially given that only the bodyguard was potentially useful against anything nasty (your army doesnt have magic weapons, so even calling in arrow/crossbow volleys from offscreen are useless against anything that requires +1 or better, or a caster with Immunity To Normal Missiles up).

Same with the 3.X equivalent, the Leadership feat, but at least there the cohort bodyguard was always just 2 levels below you and could be any class. (We had several small parties that used that feat to have a cleric or bard available).

Having a spare guy be a bard or cleric or whatever that the fighter can pick a spell or two from and the GM can use as a sort of leading voice is probably a good way to handle it

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

A Buttery Pastry posted:

just give the fighter a "get em boys" ability where a bunch of goons come in and clobber all the enemies before running off, or topple a giant pillar on top of the boss

Powered By The Apocalypse games are very much built around stuff like this, and if you roll a 6 or less on a 2d6 roll the first one trips while coming into the room and then they all just get hurt in a big pile up

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
i get its a mechanical necessity because the dnd system is bad but it's very funny that these bhaalite cultist magicians have 20 int but they are just as much a screaming nincompoop as the rest of their kind

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

is baldurs gate the last act of bg3?

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Game mechanics and story narrative are not related most of the time as it turns out.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Lostconfused posted:

Sounds like you should all just play video games then if social interactions are that difficult.

Way ahead here

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

i'm lucky to have a friend that gets like every tabletop game and sifts through all the crappy ones for me lol

Yeah some of these games are just not fun. someone gave me the arkham horror board game years ago and yeesh idk what these freaks are thinking with these crazy rear end games with a million things going on simultaneously. You oughta be able to have a few beers and play the game dang it

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost

Hatebag posted:

Yeah some of these games are just not fun. someone gave me the arkham horror board game years ago and yeesh idk what these freaks are thinking with these crazy rear end games with a million things going on simultaneously. You oughta be able to have a few beers and play the game dang it

I am a turbonerd who loves weird board games and Arkham Horror burned me out after like 2 tries.

Supposedly the card based version is more approachable.

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

i think its gonna suck

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Koirhor posted:

i think its gonna suck

Yeah but it's a Bethesda game and they are one of the magic companies who always get high scores. Blizzard / game freak are in the same category

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/DaveOshry/status/1691899426170896805?t=4145l8wvCjf4FeBqKDHtdg&s=19

Whatever it takes to get people to realize Bethesda keeps shoveling out warmed over garbage

damn horror queefs
Oct 14, 2005

say hello
say hello to the man in the elevator

Koirhor posted:

i think its gonna suck

Are you suggesting the dev studio that hasn't made a game in 15 years that wasn't a remaster of their previous game might not know what they're doing?

Sir, how DARE you,,

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

Arkham horror 2nd edition is my favorite board game :shobon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Starfield is probably going to have a better story than Baldur's Gate 3.