Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

eXXon posted:

I'm more of an Ivan.

Hey, you could be next in line.

Wild horses couldn't make me mod.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.
Oh jeez, don't let Blek or Z anywhere near IK.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

War gives the right to the conquerors to impose any condition they please upon the vanquished.

Fidelitious posted:

Real talk: having to actually engage with this thread with some responsibility would be a curse and I’d probably just let Arivia do everything. Given how I behave in here I’m genuinely flabbergasted that my name keeps coming up.

E: I brought up Bleck and PT6A because I think we would make the most funny idiot triumvirate. I, in no way, expected it to be taken seriously. The bit would be that, since I am libposting currently, I would side with PT6A 100% of the time even though I agree with most everything Bleck posts.

ZShakespeare fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Aug 17, 2023

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

ZShakespeare posted:

E: I brought up Bleck and PT6A because I think we would make the most funny idiot triumvirate. I, in no way, expected it to be taken seriously.

I seconded it for this reason.

It would almost certainly kill the thread, but it would be funny for about five minutes.

This is a reasonably fun and interesting politics shitposting space, turning it into a job sounds like the most effective way to end that.

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Aug 17, 2023

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

This is pretty long but Wab Kinew had some great words yesterday.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BLDL2Ck8WQI

Will it get through the racists in this province? Who knows.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/wab-kinew-crime-prevention-speech-1.6937938

quote:

"Because it's not about crime — it's about me. And it's at least partially about the fact that I'm somebody who sometimes wears my hair in a braid," he said.

quote:

"My political opponents think I’m running from my past, but actually, my past is the reason I’m running."

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

War gives the right to the conquerors to impose any condition they please upon the vanquished.
If the crowd shouts “Not them, but ZShakespeare” I shall have no choice but to serve and I will wash my hands of what is to come.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
For what it’s worth I also feel I contribute mostly shitposts 90% of the time and I’m also not gonna treat being IK like a job if I get chosen. Sometimes you hit people who are getting a bit rowdy with the forums ceremonial mace, that’s about it.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer

ZShakespeare posted:

If the crowd shouts “Not them, but ZShakespeare” I shall have no choice but to serve and I will wash my hands of what is to come.

I like ZShakespeare's rap sheet the best :fart:

Mr. Mercury
Aug 13, 2021

I was dead serious about the Hawaiian pizza thing.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Legal pot is over, the smiths falls factory is being sold BACK to Hershey https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/canopy-growth-to-sell-smiths-falls-hq-back-to-hershey-1.6938333

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

lol I'm not surprised.I had a lot of meetings with cannabis execs when legalization was announced and they were all idiots. Everyone who was going to make the big money off of legalization bought into the companies when they were still private. The revenue numbers they were forecasting made no sense. Legalization was not going to suddenly make 3/4 of the population decide to start smoking weed. If you smoked you smoked. Weed suddenly being legal wasn't going to create legions of new users.

Capital Letdown
Oct 5, 2006
i still cant fix red text avs someone tell me the bbcode for that im an admin and dont know this lmao

Mr. Apollo posted:

lol I'm not surprised.I had a lot of meetings with cannabis execs when legalization was announced and they were all idiots. Everyone who was going to make the big money off of legalization bought into the companies when they were still private. The revenue numbers they were forecasting made no sense. Legalization was not going to suddenly make 3/4 of the population decide to start smoking weed. If you smoked you smoked. Weed suddenly being legal wasn't going to create legions of new users.

I wondered about that with all the shops opening. A bunch of shops all within five minutes of each other. I'm pretty chronic and a heavy user but there's absolutely no way enough people are to sustain this many stores. Somethings gotta give!

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Fidelitious posted:

One HUNDRED YEAR probe for SPELLLING my name INcorrectly

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

You're going to have to settle for chain probing them every six hours, FYAD style.

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

Mr. Apollo posted:

Feels like the advertising industry should hold up the experience of Canadian cannabis companies as an example of how advertising works and how important it is.

All these folks lost their shirts because they invested in cannabis expecting it to be a growth industry, except all advertising was banned to the point of almost banning branding. Turns out kind of hard to grow a brand when you can't tell people about it!

Jam Band Death Cult
Feb 29, 2008

I'm Very Glad I'm Going To Be An Earl
I vote for Arivia.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Where's that poster* that was posting about the merits of voting Conservative just to see what would happen? Well, here's another look in the Pandora's box of what conservative governance in TYOOL 2023 looks like for the average schlub like you and me

Mederlock fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Aug 17, 2023

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

gently caress an IK

Glimpse
Jun 5, 2011

Vintersorg posted:

gently caress an IK

Buddy,

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Mederlock posted:

Where's that poster* that was posting about the merits of voting Conservative just to see what would happen? Well, here's another look in the Pandora's box of what conservative governance in TYOOL 2023 looks like for the average schlub like you and me

loving Manitoba, coming in last again!

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Capital Letdown posted:

I wondered about that with all the shops opening. A bunch of shops all within five minutes of each other. I'm pretty chronic and a heavy user but there's absolutely no way enough people are to sustain this many stores. Somethings gotta give!

Femtosecond posted:

Feels like the advertising industry should hold up the experience of Canadian cannabis companies as an example of how advertising works and how important it is.

All these folks lost their shirts because they invested in cannabis expecting it to be a growth industry, except all advertising was banned to the point of almost banning branding. Turns out kind of hard to grow a brand when you can't tell people about it!

I'm guess the cannabis companies all pitched in to fund market research reports because they all used the same reports and projections of industry growth. They were all pitching it to be on par with or exceed the wine industry in terms of revenue within 5 years. They were all segmenting it like the alcohol industry too where you had cheap stuff for just getting high and luxury brands for "connoisseurs". They even talked about how in the future, "weed smoking parties" would be very common like wine tasting parties among wealthy people.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Mederlock posted:

Yeah, I'm in Alberta and my electric has gone up sharply. But it's like $50 more per month, which is nothing compared to what renters are facing across the country. I don't think it's great, but I do believe the Liberals and NDP must be harshly punished for their intransigence on the housing crisis. Maybe I'll eat my words, maybe I won't.

The other option, and I think this is a good one, is that the Liberals and NDP could use their combined power to actually loving do something about housing and then be rewarded with re-election! I mean, that's the ideal situation.

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

Mederlock posted:

surely alberta is receiving 100% more better power than the rest of everyone else right?

did the private industry provide super power? what's going on

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Slotducks posted:

surely alberta is receiving 100% more better power than the rest of everyone else right?

At least in Calgary, it's something to do with how the local access fee is calculated, and the local access fee is set by city council, so it's not entirely the provincial government's fault as much as I would enjoy blaming them.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Slotducks posted:

Utilities were largely deregulated and privatized by the Ralph Klein kleptocrats iirc 20~ years ago in Alberta, and successive governments have let the utility operators get away with more and more gouging of their customers over time. The principal suspect behind most of the egregious price hikes in utilities are "service-", "delivery-", "local access-" fees and other such nonsense. Local access fees are levied by municipality's and passed onto consumers, the other ones are all blatant cash grabs meant to completely offset their overhead costs so that they'll make pure profit on the actual per-unit utilities they deliver to each household. So even if you turned off all your electronics and used candles and otherwise reduced your power use to the bare minimum, you'll still be paying $40-$100+ on your bill per month regardless of how much you reduce your usage. The utility regulator is letting them hike those fees to ridiculous levels unopposed.

sitchensis
Mar 4, 2009

CanPol 2023: Hot […] in your area.

Square Peg
Nov 11, 2008

Mederlock posted:

Utilities were largely deregulated and privatized by the Ralph Klein kleptocrats iirc 20~ years ago in Alberta, and successive governments have let the utility operators get away with more and more gouging of their customers over time. The principal suspect behind most of the egregious price hikes in utilities are "service-", "delivery-", "local access-" fees and other such nonsense. Local access fees are levied by municipality's and passed onto consumers, the other ones are all blatant cash grabs meant to completely offset their overhead costs so that they'll make pure profit on the actual per-unit utilities they deliver to each household. So even if you turned off all your electronics and used candles and otherwise reduced your power use to the bare minimum, you'll still be paying $40-$100+ on your bill per month regardless of how much you reduce your usage. The utility regulator is letting them hike those fees to ridiculous levels unopposed.

In Edmonton in August 2008 after natural gas prices briefly peaked and I was a dumb college student a door to door salesman for Direct Energy convinced me and my housemates to lock in to an eye-wateringly high rate for gas and electricity prices right before a brutally cold winter in a lovely poorly insulated old house. After a couple months of like $500 utility bills we tried to cancel and had to pay $800 ($400 each for the gas and electricity). A very expensive lesson learned to never ever trust a door to door salesman.

In conclusion, gently caress Alberta energy companies and the rotten bastards who deregulated them.

Square Peg fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Aug 17, 2023

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Slotducks posted:

I imagine there's fun stuff going on with supply/demand as it's been hot af and people are buying AC units like crazy while we attempt to transition away from coal power (or at least we were trying until three weeks ago), and the market is deregulated for ideological reasons, so like our insurance rates which are also skyrocketing there's probably lots of profiteering going on.

In addition to that, there's also specific fuckery happening. Prices were artificially low last year because the province had capped the floating rate for pandemic support reasons. However because they are unrepentant assholes this was implemented not as a public subsidy during a crisis, but as a loan that any customers on the floating rate would have to pay back with a higher rate in the following two years. Except that that was public knowledge, so everyone who was paying attention and can pass the credit checks immediately swapped over to fixed rate offerings which are not subject to that loan repayment calculation. So now the variable rate is spiking like mad, which drives the various admin/distribution fees through the roof, and the poor (and I assume most renters) who can't switch to fixed price offerings are getting doubly hosed as they now get stuck with the higher variable rates.

e: Just for fun here's my electricity bill for July. No real historical data because I only just did said switch to a fixed rate pricing, but you can see how little of the bill is actual electricity usage.

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Aug 17, 2023

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

At least the UCP are doing away with the insurance rate freeze. Getting rid of that red tape will surely lower prices there.

Powershift fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Aug 17, 2023

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

'*~-.,¸¸.-~·*'¨¯only $50 a month more¯¨'*·~-.¸¸,.-~*' says the Alberta Undercover Conservative lover

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

I must say, I find the Liberal strategy of passing the buck on housing much more offensive than an insane increase in electric rates. People would be able to afford those rates easily if they weren't coping with ever-increasing rent for increasingly lovely dwellings.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Maybe two things can be bad, and the solution isn't to give more power to the architects of either.

I'll commission a study to investigate further.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Powershift posted:

Maybe two things can be bad, and the solution isn't to give more power to the architects of either.

I'll commission a study to investigate further.

To whom, then, shall we give power?

There's certainly a strong case to be made that every single option available to us is loving horrible, but that doesn't tell us what, practically, is to be done about the situation.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Vintersorg posted:

Will it get through the racists in this province? Who knows.

Are you new in Manitoba or something?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

PT6A posted:

There's certainly a strong case to be made that every single option available to us is loving horrible, but that doesn't tell us what, practically, is to be done about the situation.

that's a hell of a way to vote for IK

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

PT6A posted:

We tried both parties and we're all out of ideas!

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

InfiniteZero posted:

Are you new in Manitoba or something?

I was raised on Spence Street till I was like 10. :3:

Vintersorg fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Aug 17, 2023

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Powershift posted:

We tried both parties and we're all out of ideas!

One might reasonably ask, then: have any of the parties come up with an idea that isn't complete poo poo from an rear end?

I mean, I suppose you could vote for the NDP but their apparent moonshot is "hand out money to homeowners" so I wouldn't put that in the category of "quality solutions."

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
Alert, alert, paging all passive-aggressive centrists; somebody is denouncing the efficacy of voting. Gonna need some toothless barbs and eye rolls, stat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

If you actually believed that voting was useless, you'd not be upset about me planning not to do it, thus paving the way for a Conservative victory.