Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

"powerful stuff" compared to a phone. Completely pathetic compared to any other computer. I have a pile of examples of how MacOS just doesn't let you flip or turn a knob from when I was forced to use that trashfire of an OS for development, but my favorite is probably asking people to turn off Mouse Acceleration on MacOS. You can gently caress with .GlobalPreferences, but it won't persist between restarts :P. Just a quintessential MacOS experience, that one.
you should look into the powerful technique of a script that runs at login, power developer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer

mawarannahr posted:

you should look into the powerful technique of a script that runs at login, power developer

Yep - and you sure could just do a bunch of patchwork jank to get (almost) everything just so. And if you are really lucky, Apple won't ship an update that just bricks your stack of 'fixes' for at least 6 months.

I'd rather just use an operating system that has graduated from 'pretty toy' to 'actual tool'.

Canine Blues Arooo fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Aug 17, 2023

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

Yep - and you sure could just do a bunch of patchwork jank to get everything just so. And if you are really lucky, Apple won't ship an update that just bricks your stack of 'fixes' for at least 6 months.

I'd rather just use an operating system that has graduated from 'pretty toy' to 'actual tool'.
Arch Linux ftw

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

is pepsi ok posted:

I always wonder how much of this is due to UX teams going from being a vital part of every tech company to being seen as a completely useless money sink that you should lay off to boost those profits.

So my big epiphany the other day was that smart TV UI's exhibit an insane amount of overlap with mobile touchscreen UI's despite former almost invariably using a button-based remote. If I am navigating your UI with a remote, and not my fingers, why are you expecting me to:

1. "Swipe" through every category/genre
2. "Swipe" all the way back to the beginning of the category because you never wrap anything (also I'm not gonna do that anyway because you only have a pool of like 40 movies despite having 700 categories)
3. Discover basic functions through random clicking and holding and/or mashing directional buttons until I finally find the hidden menu that lets me adjust subtitles or audio
4. Use a "keyboard" that is a single line of alphabetical characters that, once again, do not wrap
5. Figure out where the gently caress my cursor even is because you fuckers are terrible at loving highlighting things properly
6. Scrub/scan in fixed 10ms increments because your sliders can't actually be used as sliders
7. Navigate through like three submenus or straight up delete my history because you don't have/can't properly code/don't display a "start from beginning" button and I'm not sitting around for 40 minutes waiting for the episode to rewind.

Literally all of these problems are solved with a touch-based interface. Why the gently caress is our remote-controlled television interface indistinguishable from a 2006 Play Store app?

Anyway I started a Plex server last week and it's pretty nice. Strongly recommend.

Modal Auxiliary fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Aug 17, 2023

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

teen witch posted:

My mom clung to her JVC SD CRT until it literally popped and now after seeing her accursed Samsung bloatware TV, I regret not somehow finding her another CRT.

Why the gently caress does it need to take goddamn ten seconds to press a button and get a response. What. Why. No one wants this.

Best Buy's Insigia TVs still come in not smart flavors and they're the ultimate old person TV. My Dad burned through a bunch of Samsung TVs he hated until he found one of these. He loved it so much he went back to Best Buy and bought a second one as a spare.

Head Bee Guy
Jun 12, 2011

Retarded for Busting
Grimey Drawer
The circa 2018 LG smart tv at my job is incapable of playing any HBO content now that it became max. Back in the HBO Now era, using the native app or casting from a phone, trying to watch anything created one of a dozen inexplicable glitches. Perhaps the worst was changing the audio track to audio descriptions: “The HBO logo emerges from static. Tony Soprano drives over the verrazano bridge into new jersey, the world trade center in his rear view mirror,” with no way to switch it back.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I have never gotten an HBO app to work in any incarnation.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Modal Auxiliary posted:

So my big epiphany the other day was that smart TV UI's exhibit an insane amount of overlap with mobile touchscreen UI's despite former almost invariably using a button-based layout. If I am navigating your UI with a remote, and not my fingers, why are you expecting me to:

1. "Swipe" through every category/genre
2. "Swipe" all the way back to the beginning of the category because you never wrap anything (also I'm not gonna do that anyway because you only have a pool of like 40 movies despite having 700 categories)
3. Discover basic functions through random clicking and holding and/or mashing directional buttons until I finally find the hidden menu that lets me adjust subtitles or audio
4. Use a "keyboard" that is a single line of alphabetical characters that, once again, do not wrap
5. Figure out where the gently caress my cursor even is because you fuckers are terrible at loving highlighting things properly
6. Scrub/scan in fixed 10ms increments because your sliders can't actually be used as sliders
7. Navigate through like three submenus or straight up delete my history because you don't have/can't properly code/don't display a "start from beginning" button and I'm not sitting around for 40 minutes waiting for the episode to rewind.

Literally all of these problems are solved with a touch-based interface. Why the gently caress is our remote-controlled television interface I distinguishable from a 2006 Play Store app?

Anyway I started a Plex server last week and it's pretty nice. Strongly recommend.

The Apple Remote brings a touchscreen-like control that works with this. (Should it be necessary and should UX be designed like this? No.)

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

mawarannahr posted:

The Apple Remote brings a touchscreen-like control that works with this. (Should it be necessary and should UX be designed like this? No.)

It for sure makes way more sense than what most devs are doing, but I still lose my cursor/position pretty regularly and if a vagabond eyelash/dust mote lands on the touchpad then RIP whatever the gently caress I was just watching. The remote is also tiny and not ergonomic in any way, so it's very easy to pick up incorrectly and turn off whatever you were viewing.

But yeah, still leagues above most of the competition. I just don't understand why.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Modal Auxiliary posted:

It for sure makes way more sense than what most devs are doing, but I still lose my cursor/position pretty regularly and if a vagabond eyelash/dust mote lands on the touchpad then RIP whatever the gently caress I was just watching. The remote is also tiny and not ergonomic in any way, so it's very easy to pick up incorrectly and turn off whatever you were viewing.

But yeah, still leagues above most of the competition. I just don't understand why.

mobile, the institutionalization of "UX" as a profession (I think it used to be more UI/HCI/ergonomics focused, and from memory I first remember hearing), and partly the necessity of justifying your job (not that this prevented Gnome developers)

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
We're getting spam to our Facebook account with a 'your product didn't work, here's a photo' and the attachment is clearly some malware/virus/program. Reporting them is a waste of time coz they keep popping up. Why not allow business profiles to automatically not allow any attachments sent to their inbox? If it's important they'll send an email anyway. At some point someone will accidentally click the download and then we're hosed.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

mawarannahr posted:

I hate the Apple Remote*.

Modal Auxiliary posted some gripes about it, but I got more:

They already said ergonomics, but the ergonomics of the Apple Remote are so bad it needs to be said twice. In the dark, there's no way to know which way is "up." So you think you're trying to hit the touchpad, but it doesn't work. Or you want to hit the volume button, but it's the menu button, or something. We put a little "remote condom" on ours so it's easier to tell.

The touchpad is also way too sensitive. You want to scroll one letter to search (and, as I said before, search on Apple TV is a single fuckin' row of letters with NO wrap-around) but you always go past what you need. Then you finally get to the letter you want, so you push down to select it...but oh, so sorry, in the act of pushing down you slightly moved your finger, so the cursor moved and selected a different letter. The same goes for selecting shows from the main steaming page.

There's two buttons that are basically "who the gently caress knows what this will do." One says Menu, the other is a picture of a TV. In my experience, BOTH tend to just take you "back" to where you were, though more often than not the TV button goes FURTHER back. It depends on the app/streaming service, but I've noticed in Hulu it usually goes all the way back to the main Apple TV menu (which, personally, I would think the MENU button would do.) But sometimes both buttons only go one "level" back, so you're in a show, it wither button and you're at the main page for that show, hut it again you're at hte main page for the streaming app you're using, and a third time to go back to the Apple TV menu.

Long pressing menu brings up a menu, at least...or I THINK it does? But there's also a "Settings" app on the main Apple TV page that actually has most settings you want, not the settings in the menu long-press, so don't bother. Also, long-pressing the TV button also brings up it's own menu, and that's the one that has things like restart and off for some reason.

I'm 90% sure it was all on purpose to get people to use voice search more, but I refuse. gently caress your voice search.

*It seems the newest generation of Apple Remote (I guess now called the Siri remote) might have fixed some of these issues. I'm looking at pictures, and it seems, at least from the outset, it is a lot easier to know which end is which and have less accidental touch presses, and the weird "menu" button seems to be replaced with a dedicated "back" button:

Edit: Oh wow, but the moved the Play/Pause button to where the old Voice Search button was, and the old Play/Pause button location is now mute. Why would they do that?! In addition to just confusing people used to the old one, having one of the most used button (play/pause) be easy to find on the BOTTON is much better from a usability standpoint.

DrBouvenstein fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Aug 17, 2023

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

agreed. it's lovely.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

I just checked Amazon and they collapsed the star ratings. So it shows a single star with the average rating next to it, making the star completely loving worthless.

Head Bee Guy
Jun 12, 2011

Retarded for Busting
Grimey Drawer

euphronius posted:

I have never gotten an HBO app to work in any incarnation.

They use atypical versioning! incredible that it works at all anywhere

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Peggy Edson posted:

I just checked Amazon and they collapsed the star ratings. So it shows a single star with the average rating next to it, making the star completely loving worthless.
don't you get more precision looking at the decimal point than the star coverage?

digitalist
Nov 17, 2000

journey into Kirk's unknown

I have the latest AppleTV and the unpredictability of how apps use the buttons mentioned above is annoying enough that I just avoid using them entirely. The only other gripe I could add is the buttons are sensitive and it's easy to accidentally press them. Happy to put up with it in order to use jellyfin/swiftfin/Plex though, streaming services suck these days.

Unrelated, I think giphy recently got worse, they're pushing clips now and it feels like there are far fewer gifs being returned when searching. Tenor returns quite a few more relevant results these days, before they seemed roughly equal.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

mawarannahr posted:

don't you get more precision looking at the decimal point than the star coverage?

I don't really care about a 4.2 vs 4.3 rating. The star was a quick way to get an indication of how the reviews generally are. Grain of salt and all since there's so many fake reviews on Amazon, but yes I think the old way is easier at a glance.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Peggy Edson posted:

I don't really care about a 4.2 vs 4.3 rating. The star was a quick way to get an indication of how the reviews generally are. Grain of salt and all since there's so many fake reviews on Amazon, but yes I think the old way is easier at a glance.
you have a different but valid perspective than mine, thank you for sharing :)

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
The only really useful measure of Amazon ratings is to sort by recent, quickly scroll through and see how many 1 start reviews there have been in the last six months.

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang
all you idiots hanging onto your old tvs aren't getting the latest image enhancement tech you can't turn off like

- Sony TruRection, which superimposes an unzipped fly with an erect dick sticking out on every human figure displayed onscreen, male or female

- LG MammyTech, which renders everyone in vaudeville era blackface makeup.

- Samsung Oops! All "John Carter"!

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

Deep Glove Bruno posted:

- LG MammyTech, which renders everyone in vaudeville era blackface makeup.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MZcY_jsWbE4

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
Vizio has the secret Greg channel. You guys are missing out on all this Greg content.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
My TV is from 2007 and it's on its last legs so I was gonna buy a new one soon. I had no idea to get 'dumb' tvs nowadays you have to buy the Best Buy Insignia brand now. Jfc what. Really. I just want a screen that shows things.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
Oh God, strong 'I just want a phone that makes phone calls, dammit!' Boomer smartphone energy in that last post. Nooooo it's starting....

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

StrangersInTheNight posted:

My TV is from 2007 and it's on its last legs so I was gonna buy a new one soon. I had no idea to get 'dumb' tvs nowadays you have to buy the Best Buy Insignia brand now. Jfc what. Really. I just want a screen that shows things.

They are called monitors now

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Is there any good reason why you shouldn't use a computer monitor as a TV now?

Or vice versa? Both of them have HDMI ports. The only downside is a fire stick on HDMI to a monitor needs sound but it does have bluetooth which I'm sure will work at least sometimes.

Head Bee Guy
Jun 12, 2011

Retarded for Busting
Grimey Drawer
Not sure, but you may not be able to use a remote to turn on the monitor-cum-tv

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo
What's kind of funny is that the UI design that would make using remotes to control smart televisions not the most heinous thing in the world is the same UI design that enable us to create accessibility first web pages, but as always when you're a company paying designers and develpers that's always a distant priority to building interfaces for touch devices.

Suspect A
Jan 1, 2015

Nap Ghost
FYI if you don't want a TV to track/record you, serve you lovely ads, or have a laggy garbage interface, just search up "Commercial TVs" Commercial TVs are pretty much consumer models without all the bloat. Usually a bit more expensive spec to spec though. Worth it in my opinion.

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

skooma512 posted:

Is there any good reason why you shouldn't use a computer monitor as a TV now?

Viewing angles (sometimes), lack of remote, worse speakers if you're not also using external audio, lack of affordable 60 inch monitors.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Outrail posted:

The only really useful measure of Amazon ratings is to sort by recent, quickly scroll through and see how many 1 start reviews there have been in the last six months.
this is the only way to use Amazon, if you must.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Outrail posted:

ReviewMeta will also apply some algorithmic stuff to Amazon reviews in an attempt to suss out the fakes. Id still take it's results with a big ol grain of salt, since its tech is probably long in the tooth. Use camelcamelcamel to check price history also.

naem
May 29, 2011

Oh God, strong 'I just want a phone that makes phone calls, dammit!' Boomer smartphone energy in that last post. Nooooo it's starting....

https://youtu.be/IEhXKDuw6ug

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

Suspect A posted:

FYI if you don't want a TV to track/record you, serve you lovely ads, or have a laggy garbage interface, just search up "Commercial TVs" Commercial TVs are pretty much consumer models without all the bloat. Usually a bit more expensive spec to spec though. Worth it in my opinion.

They do come with the weird drawback of having extremely specific IR reception spots that you have to point the remote before it'll work. Since, when they're installed in a commercial application i.e. most likely next to a bunch of other identical screens, you don't want to change every TV when you're just trying to change one, nor do you want to need to keep a bunch of remotes one for each TV.

The conferencing TV at my work is a 'commercial TV' and it's extremely annoying to turn on because of that :v:

Triikan
Feb 23, 2007
Most Loved
I don't know what the fuss is about smart tvs. I just don't connect it to the internet. I have a Tyzen TV currently, but it's never felt the cool embrace of an IP address on my local network, and I've never had to interact with it beyond setting the colors the way I like them when I first installed it. I don't even have batteries in it's remote. It turns on automatically when my Shield turns on.

bossy lady
Jul 9, 1983

Triikan posted:

I don't know what the fuss is about smart tvs. I just don't connect it to the internet. I have a Tyzen TV currently, but it's never felt the cool embrace of an IP address on my local network, and I've never had to interact with it beyond setting the colors the way I like them when I first installed it. I don't even have batteries in it's remote. It turns on automatically when my Shield turns on.

I think some people have reported some newer TVs complaining constantly if they're not connected to the internet.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

One guy put a smart tv behind a Pihole or blocked its MAC on the router and the network chip melted from trying to phone home through something, anything.

Brandon Proust
Jun 22, 2006

"Like many intellectuals, he was incapable of scoring a simple goal in a simple way"

they were right, like the luddites :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

skooma512 posted:

One guy put a smart tv behind a Pihole or blocked its MAC on the router and the network chip melted from trying to phone home through something, anything.

Poor Chip, thought of home and died…