Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

Franco Caution posted:

What all have they put this in?

Pretty sure it goes into their hybrids.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

CVT's dont belong in cars, they are just not compatible with the real world.

Contrary view - Toytoa had to add poo poo like actual gears and electric motors because CVT's suck that badly.

That’s the trick, when you unCVT a CVT it’s good.

Franco Caution posted:

What all have they put this in?

Every hybrid.

darnon
Nov 8, 2009
Ford also has been using the same style eCVT (arguably Aisin gave Ford the better design since Toyota later shifted to using one more likeit) the past decade and a half in their hybrids. They don't bother with the kinda dumb fake-shifting either. Mostly; supposedly the newer ones do in Sport drive but I've not found it particularly noticeable the few times I tried in my Maverick.

Russian Bear posted:

Every hybrid.

Not entirely every. The bigger iForce hybrids are a more normal multi-speed trans.

VacaGrande
Dec 24, 2003
God! A red nugget! A fat egg under a dog!

Russian Bear posted:

Every hybrid.

Not even - the current ICE Corolla automatic is a CVT with a conventional first gear. https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/how-does-the-2019-toyota-corolla-hatchbacks-direct-shift-cvt-work/

darnon
Nov 8, 2009

VacaGrande posted:

Not even - the current ICE Corolla automatic is a CVT with a conventional first gear. https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/how-does-the-2019-toyota-corolla-hatchbacks-direct-shift-cvt-work/

That's not a planetary eCVT though.

VacaGrande
Dec 24, 2003
God! A red nugget! A fat egg under a dog!

darnon posted:

That's not a planetary eCVT though.

Yeah, I was thinking of the earlier point that the only "good" CVTs aren't what we think of as conventional CVTs.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

darnon posted:

Ford also has been using the same style eCVT (arguably Aisin gave Ford the better design since Toyota later shifted to using one more likeit) the past decade and a half in their hybrids. They don't bother with the kinda dumb fake-shifting either. Mostly; supposedly the newer ones do in Sport drive but I've not found it particularly noticeable the few times I tried in my Maverick.

Not entirely every. The bigger iForce hybrids are a more normal multi-speed trans.

My Fusion hybrid had the eCVT and I found it enjoyable. I was always confused when people said how much CVTs sucked because my only experience was a good one.

My F-150 hybrid doesn't have a CVT, though. Ford is using the regular 10-speed (with the electric motor hooked up to it) that's on all the F-150s.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

CVT's dont belong in cars, they are just not compatible with the real world.

Contrary view - Toytoa had to add poo poo like actual gears and electric motors because CVT's suck that badly.

What's the huge problem with CVTs? My understanding is that some manufacturers like Nissan have gigantic reliability problems with them, but Honda and Toyota don't so it seems like this is a Nissan problem not a CVT problem.

They seem to provide better fuel economy both in the real world and in EPA testing, so they seem here to stay until EVs and hybrid single-speeds systems like Honda's take over.

I'm guessing CVTs can't tow heavy or handle huge torque because of heat problems, but it should be possible to cool them just like an auto trans, right? Looks like the Toyota style CVTs can tow 3,500 lbs in the Sienna or Highlander, which are heavy vehicles already.

darnon
Nov 8, 2009
Most early CVTs sucked poo poo in reliability like the Nissan ones still do. Also a lot of people don't like that they don't "behave" like the ATs they were used to. So the RPM moving around or holding at one point (especially if paired with an underpowered, drone-y engine) seemed broken. And car people particularly didn't like that it takes out those RPMs climbing, pause, shift, resume acceleration theatrics. So they got a bad rap and manufacturers caved to add simulated shifting.

Ironically some of the higher power cars now get called 'boring' since you can basically break the speed limit without going past 3rd or even 2nd.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

darnon posted:

Ironically some of the higher power cars now get called 'boring' since you can basically break the speed limit without going past 3rd or even 2nd.

Wait until these people hear about the existence of supersport motorcycles, which have been capable of doing crimes in first gear for decades now.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

Zero One posted:

My F-150 hybrid doesn't have a CVT, though. Ford is using the regular 10-speed (with the electric motor hooked up to it) that's on all the F-150s.

It's actually a little neater than that. The hybrid is built into the 10 speed auto, so anything that can accept the standard 10 spd can be turned into a hybrid once you sort out where to put the batteries. The Explorer and Aviator hybrids use the same setup and the Mustang and Ranger could if Ford can ever sort out its supply chain problems.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Twerk from Home posted:

What's the huge problem with CVTs? My understanding is that some manufacturers like Nissan have gigantic reliability problems with them, but Honda and Toyota don't so it seems like this is a Nissan problem not a CVT problem.

They seem to provide better fuel economy both in the real world and in EPA testing, so they seem here to stay until EVs and hybrid single-speeds systems like Honda's take over.

I'm guessing CVTs can't tow heavy or handle huge torque because of heat problems, but it should be possible to cool them just like an auto trans, right? Looks like the Toyota style CVTs can tow 3,500 lbs in the Sienna or Highlander, which are heavy vehicles already.

CVT towing issue isnt heat, it's belt slip - This rapidly destroys the belt and thence the transmission. There is just simply a hard limit on a) the torque the engine can output and b) the load as beyond that the CVT will eat itself. On a manual or traditional auto doesn't have this firm hard limit as such (and also tends to be higher) so for example a so called glass transmission 5 speed WRX could cope with a heavy towing load or loads of power if treated with respect, the Subaru CVT is just plain 250Nm for the low torque or 400 NM for the hi torque and not a NM more.

Fuel economy isnt true either - most of the advances in fuel economy lately are direct injection which gives you the possibility of lean burn without engine damage at low throttle openings. What CVT relies on on top of the advances of the injection system is absurd moonshot final ratios that arent really doable in even a 8 speed (can be done in a 10 speed) but in general if you match the final drive ratio, a auto or esp a manual can match or do better, CVT's arent exactly the most efficient of transmissions. They have torque converters with all of those losses along with a bunch of pumps and other power sappers, along with their higher weight.

CVT's also have some naaaaasty lag issues in throttle response for anything that doesnt look like just a straight line boring cruise.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

CVTs are a good idea in concept but in real world practice just don’t deliver on the theory, especially when made cheaply.

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk

Twerk from Home posted:

I can't speak to all the Honda's, but the first gen Fit/Jazz CVT is hot garbage.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

BuckyDoneGun posted:

I can't speak to all the Honda's, but the first gen Fit/Jazz CVT is hot garbage.

Only 2014-2021 (GK) Fits have a CVT.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Russian Bear posted:

Only 2014-2021 (GK) Fits have a CVT.

CVT in other markets.

Here the first gen was CVT, second went back to a 5AT, third and forth CVT again. I think they were CVT right through in Japan (except the 4WD)

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
The increasing lack of manuals on newer cars is yet another thing I have issues with. I like shifting and the simple robustness of a manual. It's just as well I will never even be in the position to afford a new car.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
I had a ‘17 Nissan Rouge with a CVT and it was not absolutely dog poo poo awful but it would not be my first choice.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
Why is every ford non SUV a Mustang.

The Mach-E is not a Mustang. A 300k mid engine race car is not a Mustang.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

davecrazy posted:

Because Ford doesn't want to sell cars anymore and only sells the Mustang because it's their most iconic nameplate.

chupacabron
Oct 30, 2004

davecrazy posted:

Mustangs sell. If everything is a Mustang they’ll sell even better

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

davecrazy posted:

Mustang is the only car model brand that anyone likes, and also the only car they sell in the US, for that matter.

I legitimately can't believe that GM is still selling the Chevy Malibu. It's such an outlier in domestic model lineups.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

smooth jazz posted:

lol just lol

I maintain that this generation of legacy was the best looking car Subaru ever made. Particularly the Spec B.

Disgruntled Bovine fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Aug 18, 2023

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Disgruntled Bovine posted:

I maintain that this generation of legacy was the best looking car Subaru ever made. Particularly the Spec B.

Agreed. Any disagreement will be met with SpecB sixxers.

I loved my SpecB I had when it worked, pity the engine was EZ30 and they all have vicious headgasket issues. The 2 or 2.5 l turbos are a superior car.

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

I learned manual transmission on a base model 2007 Legacy.
Drove it off the lot hoping i didn't stall it at the red lights (I did).

Fond memories of that drat car.

Really my only complaint was the stereo loving sucked.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Agreed. Any disagreement will be met with SpecB sixxers.

I'll have to risk it because you're :wrong:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

KillHour fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Aug 18, 2023

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

KillHour posted:

I'll have to risk it because you're :wrong:

:hmmyes:

The Domingo is not better looking than any Legacy, SpecB or otherwise, but I will claim that weird Subaru was a lot more interesting than whatever it is now. And like that glorious XT :discourse:

EDIT
And the Domingo could be had with a, get this, CVT

KakerMix fucked around with this message at 08:47 on Aug 18, 2023

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003

Disgruntled Bovine posted:

The high spec Legacies (RS, RSK B4 etc.) were really solid looking cars from the early 90's all the way to 2009 when something went terribly wrong.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Twerk from Home posted:

I legitimately can't believe that GM is still selling the Chevy Malibu. It's such an outlier in domestic model lineups.

I had one as a rental recently and its shockingly Just Fine. Preferred it to the Elantra I drove recently.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

https://www.autoblog.com/2023/08/17/2025-ford-mustang-gtd-revealed/

I don't really care how legit the performance is, I can't imagine choosing to spend $300K on what just looks like a stupendously riced out Mustang.

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer
I love it. Give me more homologation looking weirdo cars. I appreciate the work in making a normal sports car into an street legal cup car like 911 GT3 RS type thing compared to making yet another swoopy wedge hypercar.

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Taste my Ball of Hope, foul dragon!

So many vents. It’s like there’s more holes than there is car.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
Old homologation cars had the decency of looking like the original item, minus a few holes. This one looks like a riced out mustang while costing more than an aston. Not a big fan of it really.

WTFBEES
Apr 21, 2005

butt

I love how over the top it is, but lol $300k Mustang.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Sab669 posted:

https://www.autoblog.com/2023/08/17/2025-ford-mustang-gtd-revealed/

I don't really care how legit the performance is, I can't imagine choosing to spend $300K on what just looks like a stupendously riced out Mustang.

How do you manage to spend that much money on a loving Mustang? If you wanted a V8 for the track you could buy at least 3 Ultima GTRs. At some point cars just cost too much loving money for there to be a point to them, especially a Mustang. :lol:

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

Olympic Mathlete posted:

How do you manage to spend that much money on a loving Mustang? If you wanted a V8 for the track you could buy at least 3 Ultima GTRs. At some point cars just cost too much loving money for there to be a point to them, especially a Mustang. :lol:

It's a collector car. It's not actually going to be used for anything but speculation.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Olympic Mathlete posted:

It's a homologation special, they're selling a racecar and building things that way is insanely expensive. It's not a production car in the way everything else sold at the Ford dealer is.

https://ridermagazine.com/2023/03/09/indian-challenger-rr-2022-king-of-the-baggers-race-replica/

Indian is selling a race replica bagger motorcycle that's not legal to ride on the road for $93,000. It's objectively too much money to spend on a motorcycle because you can buy both a bagger that has luggage that's made out of something tougher than carbon fiber so you can carry poo poo without breaking your luggage and also a hyper sport motorcycle that's just plain faster than this for less money.

Is it cool as hell anyway though? gently caress yeah

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Twerk from Home posted:

Is it cool as hell anyway though? gently caress yeah

If you're referring to the Mustang, no. The bagger? Debatable.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Olympic Mathlete posted:

If you're referring to the Mustang, no. The bagger? Debatable.

I was talking about the bagger, if you haven't seen King of the Baggers it's absurd fun. A joke turned into a real, rapidly growing racing series with strong factory support.

Full blown race replicas always end up in the garages of collectors, but I think it's neat that they get built and sold at all. Maybe I'm dumb and still have too much of that kid with the Countach poster on the wall in me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
I feel like a tarted up gt3 spec Ford GT would have felt less outrageous in asking 300k than a riced up Mustang. Especially since it muddles the name tag even more(is Mustang for petrol heads or for electric fans?)