Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

If you want to trawl the archives for Gene and Mary Lou's whole deal, I'm digging through now to pin down some dates (instead of doing my actual work job):

Earliest batch on GoComics:
June 13th - June 28th, 1994: https://www.gocomics.com/arloandjanis/1994/06/13

June 9th - July 5th, 1997: https://www.gocomics.com/arloandjanis/1997/06/09

August 11th - September 6th, 2008: https://www.gocomics.com/arloandjanis/2008/08/11

May 28th - June 27th, 2009: https://www.gocomics.com/arloandjanis/2009/05/28

June 17th - July 7th, 2010: https://www.gocomics.com/arloandjanis/2010/06/17

July 25th - August 13th, 2011: https://www.gocomics.com/arloandjanis/2011/07/25

May 5th - June 30th, 2012: https://www.gocomics.com/arloandjanis/2012/05/07

August 20th - September 29th, 2012https://www.gocomics.com/arloandjanis/2012/08/20

That last batch is the wedding, there's plenty more after but I only have so much time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Retail

Popcom

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

kidcoelacanth posted:

If you want to trawl the archives for Gene and Mary Lou's whole deal, I'm digging through now to pin down some dates (instead of doing my actual work job):

Thanks for digging all these up in one place, it had been a while since I read them, and you're right about Gene finishing school (obviously).

I love Gene so much, my favorite comics character by a mile.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bad Machinery

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Drimble Wedge posted:

Edit: I'm probably alone in this, but I prefer the boarding house strips where it's the lodgers saying wonderfully inventive things to each other, and none of the major's lying and bullshit.
You are not alone.

F Minus

Mark Trail

"Your user seconds are through the roof!"

Mary Worth

The Phantom

He should know this. If Phantom died he'd probably do all he could to bring his corpse back.

Pooch Cafe

:lol:

Rex Morgan MD

I gotta admit I kinda like Mud going around making amends. The Buck visit took too long to get to the point but otherwise it's solid.

Andertoons

Apartment 3-G

Also a couple days ago we missed the two month-iversary of this:

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
holy poo poo Mark is shooting a speaking to the camera in his car selfie vid and it's going viral. He doesn't even have new info, he's spontaneously generating amazing views on a recap.

HOW DO YOU DO FELLOW KIDS

Doomykins fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Aug 17, 2023

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

Scary Gary

An Taoiseach
Mar 23, 2008

World's Strongest Love

kidcoelacanth posted:

That last batch is the wedding, there's plenty more after but I only have so much time.

God,the difference between Gene and Mary Lou and any of the million similar stories Holbrook tells, theyre night and day

don Jaime
Apr 3, 2004

readingatwork posted:

If people want I can re-post Blind Alley from the beginning a few pages a day so that new people/people who are lost can catch up. I find that it reads a lot better in a continuous sitting than in bits and pieces anyways.

A synopsis would be helpful. A character list with brief descriptions and a picture, plus a short summary of the plot would be nice.

I don’t want to read Blind Alley, though I often do by accident. I would like to know what’s going on and why anyone likes it. I think I gave up paying regular attention after the third or fourth time a kid discovered the birds were cameras, and nothing came as a follow-up. I’m not even sure how many kids there are, let alone their names or personalities. The author puts an incredible amount of work into this strip that just doesn’t register as existing.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Murdstone posted:

Rex Morgan MD

I gotta admit I kinda like Mud going around making amends. The Buck visit took too long to get to the point but otherwise it's solid.

Honestly I quite like that his arc has involved him realizing that he can be a good person and also do fun loud songs.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

A+J has so much heart. I can’t believe I didn’t really discover it until i started reading this thread a few years back.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

If one thing says reliable news, it's a guy in a car ranting about how they are loving us over! Where's your wraparound sunglasses Mark.

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Fact #1 The Moon is really cool

Haifisch posted:

I'm also probably not alone in appreciating that early Scary Go Round is being posted but also being unable to make myself actually read it. It's not just the rough art(although that's definitely not helping - everyone and everything in the Allisonverse is dying to move 1000% more dynamically than this art can manage - I don't think I've ever seen a webcomic that didn't have rough as hell art at the start), just the entire "this is a forgettable 00s webcomic" vibe that makes my eyes instinctively skip past it.

I feel this 100%, I like Bad Machinery and the newer comics but it is hard to read these old ones. I am not saying don't post them though cuz I definitely believe in "just post" haha.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

What I like about SGR, more than Bobbins, is it gets weird quickly in that same way that Bad Machinery and is weird. The characters are fun, the stories are fun, the monsters are fun, Shelly Winters dies (twice?). You can draw a direct line of continuity from some of the earliest SGRs to the end of Bad Machinery, and I respect that.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
It's probably been 15 years since I read them but I recall that the early SGR stories are pretty short and move briskly. Tessa and Rachel are backgrounded for the characters we're more familiar with soon enough.

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.

Yvonmukluk posted:

Bad Machinery

Yvonmukluk posted:

Bad Machinery

Missing page between these two;

Also regarding Scary-Go-Round, what makes the series most interesting to me is you see Allison's evolution as an author and artist. He occasionally shifts back and forth from the Adobe Illustrator style to hand drawn comics, and the series ends in the hand drawn style. I'm guessing that towards the end of SGR is when drawing tablets became more common, thus blurring the line between "pen and ink" and digital. You also see Allison progress, and on occasion regress, as a storyteller. While I find the stories in SGR get better as the series goes on, there are a few stories were Allison crams too many characters into too much plot and he ends up having to bring the story to an abrupt anticlimax. By the time he started writing Bad Machinery, Allison learned to focus on a few characters with just one or two plot lines (that often connect anyway).

Shugojin posted:

Honestly I quite like that his arc has involved him realizing that he can be a good person and also do fun loud songs.

Ditto for me.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

The Demons of Baseball

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Into Ilves

Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

Kennel fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Aug 17, 2023

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...
Haraiso Days

Yeah, this chapter is on the wrong side of a not-very-fine line*, I think – guy’s an rear end in a top hat, full stop, no matter how heroic he ends up being. It's my least favorite chapter of this volume by a pretty wide margin.
*The line being, he’s an rear end in a top hat, but he’s got reasons, ok?

Bardiche Hotel

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

you see, the Super Bombs are keyed to detonate if approached by anyone with a brain-to-mouth filter

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
Breaking Cat News

I would take 1000 Crabgrass ice cream truck stories over more of this loving mole war.

Phoebe and Her Unicorn

Wallace the Brave

Heart of the City is back to repeats, so I dunno.

Curtis

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Great reaction panel here

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
did i post?

e:nope!

Heathcliff

Compu-toon

Garfield

Overboard

Monty

For Better or For Worse

Classic Arlo and Janis (September 13, 2001)

Rae The Doe, which you can support by pledging to the author's Patreon

On The Fastrack

Safe Havens

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Watch out, I've got Photoshop open

It cracks me up how chopped up every Compu-toon is

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
Scary Go Round (August 13-22, 2002)

And that concludes the first arc of Scary Go Round, "The Gas". Only 50 more to go! The format of the panels changes after this from 6 to 4 per page for a while, but the pacing of the story is better established at this point so I won't necessarily need to post more walls of early 2000s webcomic every day unless it's desparately requested. Once we get back to 6 per page I'll probably slow down to 3 pages per day.

Time to go get banned from imgur for uploading the next arc all in one go :v:

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

I Don't Miss Comics About gently caress And All But I Also Don't Give A poo poo About Rudy & Fiona's College Comix

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

riderchop posted:

For Better or For Worse

"I just worry that when my kids aren't in my domain, they might become individuals."

It couldn't have been worded as a generic worry about drugs and partying too much, it had to imply that terrible things(which things? uh, things that overbearing mom doesn't want them to do they wouldn't normally do!!) happen when your kids don't have the Adults around to keep them in line.

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

manero posted:

Watch out, I've got Photoshop open

It cracks me up how chopped up every Compu-toon is

he posted a very short video of his workflow on Facebook one time and it makes a LOT of sense that he uses software that has layers functionality and does not use layers.

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.
Steeple 17: Hell on Wheels Part 2

John Allison's Patreon John Allison's Gumroad store
Steeple website

John Allison posted:

I have nothing to add about the Morphulators but back in the day I think we all knew a few.

manero
Jan 30, 2006

LvK posted:

he posted a very short video of his workflow on Facebook one time and it makes a LOT of sense that he uses software that has layers functionality and does not use layers.

lmfao. That desktop is about what I'd expect.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Pogo 4/5-7/51

Archie 12/4-6/47

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

That third panel of the first comic just makes it. It's still funny if you remove it, but that panel included just makes it top tier.

manero posted:

It makes me angry!

Angular Cyrus
May 29, 2007

everything is so much harder than it looks
https://twitter.com/mydadisdracula/status/1692164092088193092

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

manero posted:

I love that his file naming conventions are all over the place, and he might be saving them as PDFs?

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Hostile V posted:

I Don't Miss Comics About gently caress And All But I Also Don't Give A poo poo About Rudy & Fiona's College Comix

As someone with many turtles and tortoises, THEY DO NOT loving DAWDLE, THEY CAN loving MOVE. especially when they see a mate or food. They don't run like dogs, but they can in fact loving trot.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Oh, oh sweetie, no.

I find Pogo a little difficult to get into, it's very dense I guess, but it's really actually great.

csammis
Aug 26, 2003

Mental Institution

Thanks for posting this! I absolutely love MDiD

thisusedyet
Feb 14, 2012

My post... it sucks!!!

riderchop posted:

Classic Arlo and Janis (September 12, 2001)

Apparently the fortune cookie was warning Arlo he was gonna be murdered by the manager

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.

catlord posted:

I find Pogo a little difficult to get into, it's very dense I guess, but it's really actually great.

If you go in for the Fantagraphics books, they come with endnotes for the references in the strip, which at least gives you a fighting chance.

Today was a little too interesting, so I'm taking the night off. For once I have an excuse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

catlord posted:

Oh, oh sweetie, no.

I find it both brilliant and exhausting.