Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
I think the lore itself is fine if a bit self-serious, Proper Nouny, and heavy on exposition. The cringiest bits (constantly going back to the Doom comic meme well, some of the incidental chatter, some of the overdone stuff in the Doomguy's fortress) aren't really to do with lore, they're just poorly executed bits and references that seem worse juxtaposed against the over-serious story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
And the level where you walk along not fighting anything but triggering a bunch of cutscenes and NPC speeches

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

haveblue posted:

And the level where you walk along not fighting anything but triggering a bunch of cutscenes and NPC speeches
You can just skip all that, it's just the prelude to the Gladiator fight and takes like two minutes to get through. It's like saying Doom 2 was good except for the bit in between MAP06 and MAP07 where you have to read a bunch of text instead of killing stuff.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
It's been a while since I played it but you have to physically walk through that area right? It's not just something you double click to skip?

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
I mean you have to walk through it but you don't have to listen to any lore, which was the original complaint. If your complaint is "there's a level that doesn't have enemies and I don't like it" then I can't argue with that, but if the complaint is "the lore is bad because you're forced to engage with it in the level that doesn't have enemies" then that's just not correct.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Ehh a text screen you can bypass in two seconds isn't really the same thing as an area you're forced to spend time in you just don't have to stay and listen

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Volte posted:

"there's a level that doesn't have enemies and I don't like it" then I can't argue with that

I mean, yes, that is what I'm saying. It is my opinion that a level structured like that doesn't belong in the Doom franchise

quote:

"the lore is bad because you're forced to engage with it in the level that doesn't have enemies" then that's just not correct.

I guess it depends on what you count as "force"? The NPC speeches you can run past and the cinematics you can click to cancel out of, but you still experience all the distance, both physically and temporally, between the level start and the first combat sequence

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

"Nit..... *heavy breathing*.... and PICK!"

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

On one hand, yeah, Doom Eternal's lore stuff is dumb if you don't care about it.

On the other, Doom 2 has some stinker levels like The Chasm, and I almost would rather the goofy lore dump level over that.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Oxyclean posted:

On one hand, yeah, Doom Eternal's lore stuff is dumb if you don't care about it.

On the other, Doom 2 has some stinker levels like The Chasm, and I almost would rather the goofy lore dump level over that.

The Chasm is interesting, cool, and good. It's tense, but that doesn't make it a bad level.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH
I'm a little disappointed that the final hub of Call of the Machine was just a single level. I thought there would be a whole other 2-3 level progression like the rest of the hubs, but nope just boss fights.

The whole package was pretty great though! It shows the base Q2 game was really hampered by its theming and level design.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Arivia posted:

The Chasm is interesting, cool, and good. It's tense, but that doesn't make it a bad level.

I never liked it much, and thought it was commonly regarded as a weaker part of the game. No shade if you like it.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Oxyclean posted:

What's wrong with The Chasm? I love that map. The map immediately following it (Bloodfalls) is the worst map in the entire series other than maybe E2M9 (which frankly isn't bad as an infighting simulation, just unimaginative), and MAP05 and MAP06 are both bottom tier as far as Doom 2 maps go. The Chasm is fun and weird.

edit: Recently having done my first ever pistol start UV max playthrough of all of Ultimate Doom and Doom 2 really changed how I look at the original maps. I had a lot of fun doing and redoing certain maps that I used to dislike like The Pit, Downtown, The Factory, and The Citadel, and very little fun on maps that I used to think were great like Abandoned Mines and Refuelling Base. Sandy is probably my favourite level designer of the bunch honestly. Romero is still top tier but even some of his Doom 2 maps annoyed me.

Volte fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Aug 17, 2023

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Milo and POTUS posted:

The chainsaw arms are shockingly powerful I feel and I'm pretty sure stronger than the legs when you're fighting bigger enemies. They're not particularly useful though and I really only use it for prompted fights. Honestly much like the orbital laser or whatever I forget I have it most of the time

You are right, they are very powerful, more than I believed at first. But the legs can give health/armor and are infinite.

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Aug 17, 2023

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008
Doom Eternal and its predecessor have attracted the attention of the very weird crowd who have been trapped in a basement since the 90s and have played nothing but Doom wads the entire time, think of themselves in a war with modern game design, and consider various aspects of them either a vindication or betrayal of their old school sensibilities. So they come up with very strong takes about exceedingly minor aspects of the games.

Both games are 99.999% action and were made by people who had an appreciation for the original Dooms, but decided to innovate and shake up the standard fps shoot dudes formula. That new formula may or may not work for you. But it sometimes feels like the actual gameplay is overshadowed by hot takes from people who think that the only place a video game story should be is in the first two pages of the little manual that doubles as a cover for the CD jewel case.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Oxyclean posted:

I never liked it much, and thought it was commonly regarded as a weaker part of the game. No shade if you like it.

no. unacceptable. we're fighting now. over that area at the end with the lost souls. in deathmatch.

ponzicar posted:

Doom Eternal and its predecessor have attracted the attention of the very weird crowd who have been trapped in a basement since the 90s and have played nothing but Doom wads the entire time, think of themselves in a war with modern game design, and consider various aspects of them either a vindication or betrayal of their old school sensibilities. So they come up with very strong takes about exceedingly minor aspects of the games.

Both games are 99.999% action and were made by people who had an appreciation for the original Dooms, but decided to innovate and shake up the standard fps shoot dudes formula. That new formula may or may not work for you. But it sometimes feels like the actual gameplay is overshadowed by hot takes from people who think that the only place a video game story should be is in the first two pages of the little manual that doubles as a cover for the CD jewel case.

what thread do you think you're in

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

haveblue posted:

I mean, yes, that is what I'm saying. It is my opinion that a level structured like that doesn't belong in the Doom franchise

I guess it depends on what you count as "force"? The NPC speeches you can run past and the cinematics you can click to cancel out of, but you still experience all the distance, both physically and temporally, between the level start and the first combat sequence
I don't disagree with your complaint, but my comment was about the quality of the story, not the quality of the game. "I thought the story wasn't that bad save for a couple of cringey moments that didn't even really have anything to do with the story" and "I don't like that the game had a story (or at least moments that expected you to engage with it)" aren't on the same wavelength.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
If you don't like Doom Eternal then you can just SUCK AN EGG

Dramicus posted:

If you want to get into weird territory, now that all of these are owned by the same entity it's actually possible that Doom, Quake and Rage all take place before/alongside Fallout.

And also Starfield also takes place in the Fallout universe because from what I've seen, Earth isn't habitable. And in Starfield you can go to Mars...

I'm gonna say Starfield will have an easter egg on Mars that is a direct nod to the Doom series.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

If you don't like Doom Eternal then you can just SUCK AN EGG

do i at least get 1 health for this egg-sucking. does it go over 100% health. is it basically a health vial.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Arivia posted:

do i at least get 1 health for this egg-sucking. does it go over 100% health. is it basically a health vial.

It goes over 100% health but all health above that ticks down at 1 HP a second so it's basically worthless

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
Beat Quake 2 Ground Zero on Hard just now, boy what a slog that turned into.

The endless amount of wall and ceiling turrets that start appearing after the first act are very annoying.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

ponzicar posted:

be nice, this thread's sometimes played doom 2 wads too

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I definitely bought gz and reckoning back in like 98 or 99 but I have very little memory of either other than a lot of lava/mines and a section where you had to climb up quickly while lava flooded that section of the level.

I remember being excited to play with those weapons and maps in deathmatch but nobody was playing them.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Beat Quake 2 Ground Zero on Hard just now, boy what a slog that turned into.

The endless amount of wall and ceiling turrets that start appearing after the first act are very annoying.

Absolutely. After finishing the Reckoning and feeling a bit burned out by it (The spaceship level was by far the best part though, super fun), Ground Zero started off really strong and it was refreshingly fun... right until the turrets started showing up. Now it's a slog again.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

ponzicar posted:

Hear, hear!

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

ponzicar posted:

the feedback on 2016 was basically universally positive, the complaint about eternal (primarily the DLC storylines) was that the story became both more intrustive and much much stupider. if it had stayed at the same stupid level as 2016 and been more obtrusive, fine, and if it had been more stupid but the same level of unintrusive it would have been fine. instead it got like... todd mcfarlane comics level stupid and expected you to sit through a lot of it

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Doom Eternal is so much better on a second play through when you skip every single cutscene. It genuinely makes the game amazing.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Doom Eternal is so much better on a second play through when you skip every single cutscene. It genuinely makes the game amazing.

The issue is that I don't want to replay it when I'm swimming in great indie/retro/boomer shooters. I liked Eternal but I played through it and both DLCs with no other games in between and finished exhausted.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

DoombatINC posted:

Not even just that, it's the Strogg who are the ones using CDs at their base

Like, rip the brain out of a frog to store data like it's eXistenZ, you're the Strogg!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

HolyKrap
Feb 10, 2008

adfgaofdg

Volte posted:

That's interesting, I was playing on the second hardest difficulty and never once felt like I was even taking any damage (and once I got powerups so that the chainsaw leg refilled my health and armor it only got easier). On the other hand I might have to start over if the difficulty goes up too much.

I'm trying it out on the second hardest difficulty now, feels alright, I actually died once!! I wish there was just one more between this and the last difficulty though, cause there's a huge ramp-up between the two. 3x damage taken upped to 6x, and no medkits outside of what enemies drop. Unless you're leeching hp with the chainsaw the whole way through you just can't get hit at all

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

The only true law is that which leads to freedom. There is no other.

clive barker looking around his home office for ideas for new cenobites, his eyes land on a pile of AOL disks. clive you twisted genius, you’ve done it again!

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Clive Barker's Undying remaster by Nightdive now :getin:

That would mean work for EA and that... sucks. Unless Stephen get his hands on the rights

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Someone was criticizing the grenades in quake 2 or at least the weak rear end throw of bitterman (what a name btw) and I see the point but even with that against them they're a surprisingly decent weapon and I have no idea why. The explosive radius isn't good and I don't think there's any actual shrapnel but I still find myself getting kills with them occasionally. In multiplayer. Against decent opponents somehow. I mean I usually use them as such in places where there's items at the end of a hall or culdesac like the chaingun or rockets in edge but you wouldn't think it'd work that well even so

HolyKrap posted:

I'm trying it out on the second hardest difficulty now, feels alright, I actually died once!! I wish there was just one more between this and the last difficulty though, cause there's a huge ramp-up between the two. 3x damage taken upped to 6x, and no medkits outside of what enemies drop. Unless you're leeching hp with the chainsaw the whole way through you just can't get hit at all

yeah that achievement I wasn't even gonna bother with and it's good to know I was smart not to

imperiusdamian
Dec 8, 2021

shoeberto posted:

The bits of lore I've seen from Eternal has kinda turned me off of playing it. It feels like Diablo, which also got way too in love with its dumb story.

Diablo II struck the perfect balance between lore and gameplay. Then Diablo 3 came along, retconned most of it and farsked the gameplay along with the story.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Dramicus posted:

Absolutely. After finishing the Reckoning and feeling a bit burned out by it (The spaceship level was by far the best part though, super fun), Ground Zero started off really strong and it was refreshingly fun... right until the turrets started showing up. Now it's a slog again.

This is extremely close to how I felt about them a couple years ago, so I'm pretty thrilled this remaster has the 64 and Machine campaigns so I'm not even tempted to revisit those expansions.

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Aug 17, 2023

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

which way to the MACHINES?

imperiusdamian posted:

Diablo II struck the perfect balance between lore and gameplay. Then Diablo 3 came along, retconned most of it and farsked the gameplay along with the story.

Yeah I didn't mind the bits they put into Diablo 2 to expand it so much. Everything I've read about the story since just seems like it's... so much. I think non-biblical stories based around hell/demons/devils/etc are better when they don't try to fill in so many details. Same reason you don't show the monster in the movie.

I'll play Eternal at some point, it's just not super high on my list.

Disproportionation
Feb 20, 2011

Oh god it's the Clone Saga all over again.

Milo and POTUS posted:

Someone was criticizing the grenades in quake 2 or at least the weak rear end throw of bitterman (what a name btw) and I see the point but even with that against them they're a surprisingly decent weapon and I have no idea why. The explosive radius isn't good and I don't think there's any actual shrapnel but I still find myself getting kills with them occasionally. In multiplayer. Against decent opponents somehow. I mean I usually use them as such in places where there's items at the end of a hall or culdesac like the chaingun or rockets in edge but you wouldn't think it'd work that well even so

I don't think they're a great weapon in an actual fight, but if you can catch a group of enemies who are below you unawares lobbing grenades into the middle of a fight and having people blunder into them without knowing is very satisfying.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Woolie Wool posted:

the last thing Doom needs is canon, loving hated Eternal's ~*lore*~

You and me both.

Also what was the logic in Doom 1, 2, and 64 linking up to Doom 2016? Like, I get that Doomguy in the old stuff and the Doom Slayer in the new stuff are meant to be the same guy, but is the “earth” dimension in each one different? Like Doomguy starts with Dimension A’s UAC opening a portal to Hell, he kills demons, saves the earth, goes to Hell, gets stuck there, becomes the Doom Slayer, gets imprisoned, and then Dimension B’s UAC opens a portal to Hell, ventures into Hell for ardent energy, finds the Doom Slayer (who originated in Dimension A, way back when), and then the events of 2016 and Eternal play out in Dimension B?

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Heavy Metal posted:

Random note, I was watching some Starfield footage, and that'll be fun as its own sandbox Bethesda thingy I'm sure. But I noticed the gunplay of course is just so mindless looking, and so many games are like that.

I have to admit, Starfield should be ticking off boxes for me but I just can't get myself particularly excited for it.

Volte posted:

You can just skip all that, it's just the prelude to the Gladiator fight and takes like two minutes to get through. It's like saying Doom 2 was good except for the bit in between MAP06 and MAP07 where you have to read a bunch of text instead of killing stuff.

It sounds like a better analogy would be talking with Hayden in his office. You don't have to listen, it only takes a couple minutes, but it's apparently the worst part of the game and people still bitch about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Xenomrph posted:

You and me both.

Also what was the logic in Doom 1, 2, and 64 linking up to Doom 2016? Like, I get that Doomguy in the old stuff and the Doom Slayer in the new stuff are meant to be the same guy, but is the “earth” dimension in each one different? Like Doomguy starts with Dimension A’s UAC opening a portal to Hell, he kills demons, saves the earth, goes to Hell, gets stuck there, becomes the Doom Slayer, gets imprisoned, and then Dimension B’s UAC opens a portal to Hell, ventures into Hell for ardent energy, finds the Doom Slayer (who originated in Dimension A, way back when), and then the events of 2016 and Eternal play out in Dimension B?

Honestly I don't really understand how doom 64 is supposed to come after doom 2. They talk about how "those files were sealed" like literal demon aliens invading the planet and destroying at least one city wouldn't be the biggest story of the last several centuries.