Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

Mellow Seas posted:

Well the idea is that it's installed and running on a PC somewhere else and you have an low latency connection that's streaming the display of that PC to you. But yeah, for hardcore gamers we're probably a long way from that latency being low enough. For casual gaming it's pretty much all right on, say, a 100/100 but that kind of upload speed is very rare in this country.

I doubt the upload speed is terribly important since all that's going to go in that direction is your controller inputs. The main issue is latency, which isn't directly related. It's one thing for a low-speed puzzle game or menu-based CRPG or whatever, but anything twitch-based and the lag becomes disruptive. A narrow upstream pipe should be fine for game streaming as long as latency is low in both directions. That's just challenging itself, particularly if you're physically distant from the data center that's actually running your game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Interesting KR, thanks. I did the trial on my connection, played some Destiny 2 and a Tomb Raider game; it was playable but hella stuttery (enough to ruin the technically-playable experience). I had blamed my 20 mbps upload but yeah, I guess latency is unrelated.

Kalli posted:

Also, an aside to the show streaming thing, there's so many rights issues with especially music on anything produced before like 2005 that piracy is already the only answer. There's plenty of shows where the dvd / blu-ray releases are drastically inferior copies due to stripping out music for sound-a-likes.
I love SNL (sorry) but it's a streaming nightmare, pretty much anything that used any kind of song is cut out for rights. Every episode is on Peacock, but some are cut down to 20 minutes or less. I hope they can work it out someday...

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Yeah I had a bit of a dementia moment there, now that it's mentioned I remember seeing some videos of people reviewing Nvidia's stream-game service, my bad folks :smith:

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
It's okay, I made the dumb IT mistake so we can be ignorance brothers :respek:

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

That is a biography about Tucker written by someone else. When Tucker writes a book, I am sure that it will hit the right-wing welfare circuit and sell many copies.

I think that actually reinforces Zoux's point. There is no audience out there clamoring for Tucker related material. When he (or another RW pundit) is not propped up by the conservative media complex, he disappears.

Mellow Seas posted:

I don't buy movies streaming very often but when I buy them on Apple or Amazon, I'm pretty confident that they'll always be accessible, as it's hard to imagine anything knocking either of those companies off their perch, but yeah, it's a little disconcerting that it's not a guarantee.

I don't really see a difference for myself between buying a streaming movie or one on a disc. They're both going to require me to have further infrastructure. And if I have to buy a movie again because the streaming service it's on went out of business, I don't see that being so different from having to buy a movie again because my old VCR broke.

Rappaport posted:

I can't imagine how it'd be technically feasible to stream-game something as old as Doom 2016, let alone *gestures at popular AAA games with hundreds of gigs of installed content*

Even the Internet Archive temporarily downloads an ancient DOS game you want to play onto your computer in some fashion, I think.

You can stream brand new triple A games on XBox Live's cloud gaming service already.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

At last Mike Lindell has unveiled his 100% surefire election protection scheme that he's been hyping for weeks

https://twitter.com/kelly_dereuck/status/1692238468682850478

:geno:

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

That is a biography about Tucker written by someone else. When Tucker writes a book, I am sure that it will hit the right-wing welfare circuit and sell many copies.

This.

Right wingers don’t read books. They purchase books to demonstrate loyalty. For a conservative book to take off, there must be massive prepublication purchases by right wing groups and think tanks to artificially boost it up the bestseller lists. Then the rank and file will automatically buy it, kind of like how they automatically put money in the collection plate. Then the books that the right wing groups bought in advance get returned, or given away as part of a membership deal. It’s the entire Regnery Press business model.

Looks like Tucker’s biographer didn’t make the cut for the grift train.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

zoux posted:

At last Mike Lindell has unveiled his 100% surefire election protection scheme that he's been hyping for weeks

https://twitter.com/kelly_dereuck/status/1692238468682850478

:geno:

Renaming my Grandpa's wifi network to DIEBOLD-69

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Devor posted:

Renaming my Grandpa's wifi network to DIEBOLD-69

SEND FRAUDULENT VOTES HERE

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Imagine how much bullshitting you'd have to do to make Tucker's life sound remotely interesting. Born with silver spoon in hand, went to Yale, married into ketchup wealth, is extremely racist. What a life!

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Professor Beetus posted:

Imagine how much bullshitting you'd have to do to make Tucker's life sound remotely interesting. Born with silver spoon in hand, went to Yale, married into ketchup wealth, is extremely racist. What a life!

Are you mixing him up with Kavanaugh? Tucker, with all his advantages, could only get into Trinity college, back when it took literally anyone who was able to pay full tuition.

He’s similar to Trump, who had every advantage but could only get into Fordham, back when it literally took anyone who was able to pay full tuition.

And the ketchup guy was John Kerry, right?

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Professor Beetus posted:

I mean, even Hitler had a homeless period, he was a decorated war veteran, and he shot Adolf Hitler! Come on Tuck-tuck, you gotta get some spice in your life buddy. I suppose getting brutally and thoroughly bodied by Jon Stewart in a live segment of one's own show that results in it being cancelled is sort of interesting?

Dear SS, this is not an endorsement or encouragement to inflict any sort of violence on Bundeskanzlers, Presidents or other public figures

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Professor Beetus posted:

Tucker is the heir to the Swanson frozen dinner empire. John Kerry was poor*, but married the heir to the Heinz ketchup fortune.

*(He grew up in a middle class military family, but he was a fairly wealthy former lawyer and current Senator when he married her. She was just 100,000x wealthier).

It was written by a gay conservative and sounds amazingly tedious. The author fawns over Carlson being a "cool" new model for conservatives because he was comfortable enough around gay people to make gay jokes about them. Even if you were a Tucker fan, there isn't really anything of interest in the description or the 15-pages that they make available for preview.

It's just completely inane and generic.

quote:

Tucker, the new biography by Chadwick Moore, is based on more than 1,000 hours of interviews with Carlson that lend insight into the former Fox megastar's formative relationship with his father, Dick Carlson.

quote:

Carlson describes his father as 'a wonderful, committed' parent, but someone who nurtured fierce independence in his children by putting them in what may seem to some like uncomfortable situations.

quote:

Though he was never much of a student, Carlson attended elite schools, where he was afforded the right connections and leveraged his powerful charisma and independent thinking into access with elite circles.

quote:

In college, through his father's connections with Voice of America - the US state-owned media outlet that he led for a while - he and his best friend Neil Patel spent two months in Central America during the Contra War. Right after college, Carlson and his new wife - who he'd met at prep school - landed a comfortable life in the upscale Washington, DC neighborhood of Georgetown, where he worked for a while before briefly moving to Arkansas.

quote:

After little-more than a year in Arkansas, the Carlsons headed back to DC, where Carlson had 'lobbied everyone he knew' for a job at the freshly launched The Weekly Magazine - a journal of conservative thought that housed many leading presidential advisers in the nineties and early two-thousands.

quote:

Reflecting on his upbringing and his father, Tucker says he interprets his childhood as 'a really positive thing.'

'[My father] once said to me, life is difficult at times but it's not that hard to be happy if you put your mind to it,' Tucker said.

'And my father's happiness comes from his family - we have the world's closest family ... So, in every sense he's a model for me.'

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Aug 17, 2023

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Tucker Carlson is the heir to the Swanson fortune

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

predicto posted:

Are you mixing him up with Kavanaugh? Tucker, with all his advantages, could only get into Trinity college, back when it took literally anyone who was able to pay full tuition.

He’s similar to Trump, who had every advantage but could only get into Fordham, back when it literally took anyone who was able to pay full tuition.

And the ketchup guy was John Kerry, right?

Oh whoops not ketchup, hungry man dinners. I don't know which ghoul I confused him with re Yale but I think I might have confused him with a print media ghoul.

Tucker is the heir to the Swanson frozen dinner empire. John Kerry was poor, but married the heir to the Heinz ketchup fortune.

It was written by a gay conservative and sounds amazingly tedious. The author fawns over Carlson being a "cool" new model for conservatives because he was comfortable enough around gay people to make gay jokes about them. Even if you were a Tucker fan, there isn't really anything of interest in the description or the 15-pages that they make available for preview.

It's just completely inane and generic.

Some real "I enjoy laughing and movies and hanging out with friends" in a dating profile vibes from those snippets

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
The alternative to physical media isn't streaming, it's digital files. Streaming throws a wrench into the works, but it's entirely possible to have a future without physical media where you still aren't locked into subscriptions and DRM. And in fact, that future has pretty much already arrived for music and a large chunk of gaming. Movies & TV are the last ones to the party because video files are big and have recently become even bigger (4K). Downloading those would probably kinda suck for a lot of people, and computer storage hasn't become quite cheap enough yet to comfortably store a whole bunch of movies & shows alongside everything else, so I'm not sure what the best solution is just yet. I'm not sure if USB drives & SD cards are as cost-effective as discs, but I wouldn't mind something like that becoming the new standard. Though an obvious obstacle would be how to write protect them.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

I'm finally reading the leaked DeSantis debate prep memo that was posted earlier and it is just sad.

Even lower energy than Jeb and just stinks of "loser who is just praying Trump dies in the next 8 months." I can only imagine what his staff were advising that they rejected for looking too weak.

It literally advises him to not mention any policy and only do two things:

- Try to seem like a normal human being.
- Try to convince people that he loves Trump more than anyone and that he will actually be a better Donald Trump than Donald Trump.

quote:

It's my orchestra pit theory of politics. You have two guys on stage and one guy says, I have a solution to the Middle East problem, and the other guy falls in the orchestra pit, who do you think is going to be on the evening news?

quote:

One thing you don't want to do is get your head up too far on some new vision for America because then the next thing that happens is the media runs over to the Republican side and says, "Tell me why you think this is an idiotic idea."

quote:

Take a sledge-hammer to Vivek Ramaswamy: "Fake Vivek" Or "Vivek the Fake"

quote:

Defend Trump when Chris Christie attacks him: "Trump isn't here so let's just leave him alone."

quote:

Attempt to seem genuine. Invoke a personal anecdote/story about family, kids, Casey, showing emotion.

quote:

Carrying the torch: "The country is a mess right now. I've been allover the country. I've been to Iowa, New Hampshire, South Carolina, crisscrossing this country meeting with voters and
Americans worried about the fate of our country. Many voters , like me, voted for Donald Trump, love Donald Trump . He was a breath of fresh air and the first president to tell the elite where to shove it."

"But he was attacked all the time, provoked attacks all the time, and it was non-stop. The drama affected families. Trump's drama pitted brother against brother, friend against friend. He's got so many distractions that it's almost impossible for him to focus on moving the country forward. This election is too important. We need someone that can fight for you instead of fighting for himself. We need someone who is going to take the torch and carry it to the next chapter. I'm the only one on this stage who will do that, who can do that, and who will keep the movement that Donald Trump started going. This is about who can bring the Republican party and the country into a better tomorrow."

quote:

There are four basic must- dos:

1.Attack Joe Biden and the media 3-5 times.
2. State positive vision 2-3 times.
3.Hammer Vivek Ramaswamyina response.
4.Defend Donald Trump in absentia in response to a Chris Christie attack.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Aug 17, 2023

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

"Imagination is not enough. You have to have knowledge too, and an experience of the oddity of life."
I’ve been finally going through boxes from childhood/adolescence/parents garage that have survived decades and had been hauled across state lines. The amount on physical media that I’d been lugging around was disheartening. Especially as I get older and the kids’ stuff becomes an issue, I just become increasingly down on physical media. Im holding onto a lot of books but the visual and audio medium stuff is becoming a tough proposition.

Storing, curating, and (now that the disc-reading devices are becoming obsolete and are absent from the home) accessing & reading the media become an additional hurdle. Digital files probably the way to go, but that too will pose certain curating challenges. It just starts to feel like a chore and I really have consider “am I gonna watch this again? Do I still like this music?” And increasingly as I get older the answer is no. I’m ok with no longer owning media I have zero attachment or connection to.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Somewhat related to the sad debate memo, basically every single person they interview for this story and every line they say is gold. I was bolding parts of it, but ended up bolding about 80% of the article.

Every quote is so perfect that a team of history's greatest poets couldn't have written them if you gave them a thousand years.

There's also a bonus Jeb anecdote that I wasn't aware of before.

https://twitter.com/jbarro/status/1692192525929386090

quote:

After watching awkward videos of Ron DeSantis, Derek Guy had a horrifying realization.

Guy, a fashion writer known as the “Menswear Guy” to his large following on social media, had noticed people on X, formerly known as Twitter, making fun of the Florida governor and Republican presidential hopeful for throwing off weird vibes on the campaign trail. Some of these moments have been captured on video, as things tend to be during a presidential campaign: DeSantis struggling to make small talk with voters; bursting into strange paroxysms of wide-mouthed laughter; appearing to sugar-shame a child drinking an Icee at an Iowa fair.

“What’s your name?” DeSantis asked a voter in a recent clip from a New Hampshire diner.

“Tim,” the man responds.

“Okay,” says DeSantis.

quote:

In another video, from a party after the Iowa GOP’s Lincoln Dinner, DeSantis stands ramrod straight, taking gulps of beer and checking the time on his phone and telling potential voters that normally he would already be asleep.

As he sought to connect with voters and donors, critics said DeSantis had resembled — to quote a couple of posts — “a robot put together from scrapped spare parts from Disney’s The Hall of Presidents” or “an extraterrestrial in a skin-suit trying to learn to be human.”

quote:

But when Guy, the menswear writer, watched a video of DeSantis cycling through four different facial expressions in about three seconds during a news conference, he saw something even more disturbing.

“Oh, God,” he remembers saying to himself. “That’s me.”

The governor’s anti-charisma — his apparent struggles to make small talk, his propensity for letting a smile fall too quickly from his face — reminded Guy of himself at parties. Or the time he had no idea what to say after a fan of his fashion writing recognized him at a tailoring shop.

“It was exactly like those DeSantis moments,” he said. “A normal human being would understand how to light up your face, how to engage, how to say the right thing. But DeSantis doesn’t have that. And I definitely don’t have that.”

quote:

Guy is not the only awkward American who has identified with DeSantis as he has emerged as the Awkward Candidate.

“Like Ron DeSantis, I spend every day trying to act like a human,” said Michelle Witherspoon, an environmental consultant in California.

“Every time I watch the videos, I cringe,” said Kate Ecke, a therapist from New Jersey who recently forgot to bring identification when picking up her child at summer camp and subsequently “really weirded out” a counselor by offering to show her C-section scar as proof of motherhood. “But I’m cringing because I’ve been that person.”

quote:

“It’s extremely relatable to me,” said Audrey Kamena, an incoming freshman to Yale University who said she once called her high school history teacher “Mom” and still thinks “about it every night before bed.”

Alex Whitlock, a stay-at-home dad and a “Never Trump” Republican from West Virginia, found himself relating to DeSantis after reading an article that mentioned that the governor made people uncomfortable with his “propensity to devour food during meetings.”

“I don’t always have an appropriate sense of when to eat or not eat,” said Whitlock, who also said he rarely knows when he’s supposed to shake someone’s hand.

quote:

Still, awkwardness is not the kind of relatability a politician necessarily wants. It’s safe to say the DeSantis campaign was hoping their man would be defined by attributes such as toughness or youth.

“Before he ran for president, he was this abrasive governor, always fighting with reporters and giving off an impression of being extremely confident,” said Joseph Coll, a native Floridian who is now in Arizona getting his law degree. “Now he’s like a sad puppy, and it’s surprising that he actually feels relatable to me.”

quote:

Before law school, Coll used to work as a recruiter for a health-care company, a job that often required him to try to “be normal” in front of potential clients.

“I was terrible at it,” he said. “I definitely came across as a DeSantis.”

quote:

If you’re “a DeSantis,” the campaign trail is no place to hide it. The never-ending rope line can test the skills of even the most socially adept politician, let alone somebody who doesn’t naturally light up a room.

“Someone asked me the other day, ‘Is it true that Jeb would hand out turtles?’” said Tim Miller, a former spokesman for Jeb Bush, another Florida governor turned presidential candidate. “It was true! He’d hand out these toy turtles as an awkward way of trying to connect with people.”

quote:

A candidate — or at least a person — who embraces their awkwardness might be better off than one who doesn’t, according to Henna Pryor, author of the forthcoming book “Good Awkward: How to Embrace the Embarrassing and Celebrate the Cringe to Become the Bravest You.” Pryor said that, when researching her book, she found studies that showed a “direct correlation” between expressing awkwardness and the perception that a person is “trustworthy, likable, more generous and, surprisingly, more confident.”

But for that to happen, she said, the awkward person actually needs to “acknowledge the cringe.”

“His problem is he never owns it and names it,” Pryor said of DeSantis.

quote:

“It’s all part of what I consider a negative personality,” said Whitlock, the Never Trumper stay-at-home dad. “I can’t tell where the awkwardness that I relate to ends and the malicious figure begins.”

“Given the decision between voting for him and getting a Pap smear from a girl I went to high school with,” said Ecke, the therapist, “hand me the paper gown.”

Even potential supporters such as Kamena, the soon-to-be college freshman, worry that DeSantis’s struggles might be a problem for him.

“Sometimes it gives me a little hope that I can be in public policy someday and be given a little bit of grace,” she said. “Though maybe he isn’t receiving much grace …”

quote:

He is receiving plenty of ridicule. The rival Trump campaign — who reportedly paid a plane to fly a sign that read, “Be likable, Ron!”— and the campaign stumbles have become a running gag for the satirical newspaper the Onion, whose headlines include, “Poll Finds Ron DeSantis Candidate Voters Could Most Imagine Drinking Beer Alone.”

quote:

The Awkward Candidate label might prove hard to shed, once it sticks. This summer, DeSantis made headlines for the kind of slightly off-putting exchange that probably would have passed under the radar if not for his reputation for maladroit chitchat. While visiting a fair in Iowa, he asked a child what she was drinking. She told him it was an Icee.

“That’s probably a lot of sugar, huh?” he responded. “Good to see ya.”

“I feel like there have been 800,000 times that I’ve said the equivalent of that to someone,” said Scott Shapiro, a Yale professor who dislikes DeSantis’s politics. “And while I understand where he’s coming from and can relate, it only confirms my feeling that I should not run for president.”

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007

quote:

He is receiving plenty of ridicule. The rival Trump campaign — who reportedly paid a plane to fly a sign that read, “Be likable, Ron!”— and the campaign stumbles have become a running
gag for the satirical newspaper the Onion, whose headlines include, “Poll Finds Ron DeSantis Candidate Voters Could Most Imagine Drinking Beer Alone.”

I can't believe this entire article isn't the Onion.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

quote:

Before law school, Coll used to work as a recruiter for a health-care company, a job that often required him to try to “be normal” in front of potential clients.

“I was terrible at it,” he said. “I definitely came across as a DeSantis.”

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Being awkward is one thing. Being awkward and also a horrendously lovely person who laughs at prisoners being force-fed, well that's harder to deal with.

Awkward but well-meaning is a thing that people might eventually find endearing. Awkward and relatable, even with lovely qualities, can even work: look at the Jeb! poo poo... of all his poo poo, people still remember "please clap" and "the exclamation point connotes excitement" and poo poo like that. Awkward and heinous is a political death sentence.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

I had absolutely no idea about DeSantis, JAG, and his time at Guantanamo Bay until earlier this week.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

I'm finally reading the leaked DeSantis debate prep memo that was posted earlier and it is just sad.

Even lower energy than Jeb and just stinks of "loser who is just praying Trump dies in the next 8 months." I can only imagine what his staff were advising that they rejected for looking too weak.

It literally advises him to not mention any policy and only do two things:

- Try to seem like a normal human being.
- Try to convince people that he loves Trump more than anyone and that he will actually be a better Donald Trump than Donald Trump.

It's also bad advice in politics. You have articulate A VISION to have a shot at winning.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
Also vibe check, I followed Derek Guy months ago because he was low key hilarious and also I was upgrading my wardrobe. Is he blowing up now, since I'm seeing him in unrelated places, or is it just recognition bias?

selec
Sep 6, 2003

Morrow posted:

Also vibe check, I followed Derek Guy months ago because he was low key hilarious and also I was upgrading my wardrobe. Is he blowing up now, since I'm seeing him in unrelated places, or is it just recognition bias?

No, he’s definitely blown up since the I Called Your Tailor post

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
The Michael Scott effect, but in politics.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Professor Beetus posted:

Unsurprisingly most right-wing media and political figures of the modern era are the most boring loving people imaginable.

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

lol - all the "go after Ramaswamy" stuff is literally just, "be mean to the brown guy, so people know you're racist," isn't it?

Republican virtue signaling.

He's probably a better target than Tim Scott because Tim Scott seems very personable in small doses, as long as you don't start talking about policy. Ramaswamy is just an immediately obvious rear end in a top hat.

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs

Mellow Seas posted:

lol - all the "go after Ramaswamy" stuff is literally just, "be mean to the brown guy, so people know you're racist," isn't it?

Republican virtue signaling.

Eh maybe but I think it's moreso that once you remove Trump as a target, Ramaswamy is the next highest polling candidate lol

Rocking a whole 5%

plogo
Jan 20, 2009
Yeah, none of the trumper base types like Tim Scott or Nikki Haley etc, but they do like RFK Jr. and Vivek, so going after Vivek makes sense.

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

koolkal posted:

Eh maybe but I think it's moreso that once you remove Trump as a target, Ramaswamy is the next highest polling candidate lol
Oh wow, drat. The mainstream media has been trying so hard to make Haley or Scott happen. And that guy is beating them? Jeeeez.

I guess it makes sense when the entire primary electorate loathes the mainstream media. If they want Scott to be the nominee maybe they should start trashing him.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

Mellow Seas posted:

Oh wow, drat. The mainstream media has been trying so hard to make Haley or Scott happen. And that guy is beating them? Jeeeez.

I guess it makes sense when the entire primary electorate loathes the mainstream media. If they want Scott to be the nominee maybe they should start trashing him.

They’re all so low it’s hard to make any conclusions about where they actually are relative to each other. I wish we had more robust ranked choice polling so we knew where they’d stand if Trump dropped out, but that would probably make it even harder to get polling results from people.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Grindr is destroying its workforce to crush worker organizing increase workplace productivity. Even if this weren't obvious retaliation it would be dumb and lovely, they are essentially cutting workforce by telling people to break their leases and move cross-country, which they know they won't do. So it's a combination of:

- Union-Busting
- Business majors and the jet set deciding that flexible work must be destroyed at all costs
- Finding ways to conveniently weather a tech recession without paying unemployment or severance

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/08/12/business/grindr-rto-union.html

quote:

Quinn McGee learned last week that to keep their job as a product manager at Grindr, the gay dating app, they would have to move to California from New York by October under the company’s new return-to-office rules.

“It’s difficult to even fathom how I would be able to be living in California in seven weeks,” said Mx. McGee, 41, who uses gender-neutral pronouns. They were hired in 2021 and have been working remotely from Brooklyn: “I have a lease that I am legally meant to follow through with. My partner is a medical practitioner, and I have good medical providers here.”

Grindr sent workers its return-to-office plan in an Aug. 3 memo, a copy of which was reviewed by The New York Times. The company asked them to pledge by next week that they’ll report to their assigned offices and show up two days a week, or leave the company. Anxiety rippled through the staff of roughly 180 people, as some weighed whether to move or lose their jobs.

The plan was unveiled two weeks after employees filed a petition to unionize. A complaint filed with the National Labor Relations Board the next day by the Communications Workers of America, the union that Grindr employees hope to join, argued that the company’s new office rules were meant to retaliate against workers for their union organizing efforts.

Grindr said that the plan had been in the works for months, and that the employees had been warned earlier in the summer that their remote work arrangements would end. The company offered up to $15,000 to cover relocation expenses, and six months of severance pay for those who choose to not report to their offices.

“Grindr’s hybrid work model and return-to-office plan have nothing to do with the N.L.R.B. election petition,” a company spokesperson said. “We respect and support our team members’ rights to make their own decision about union representation.”

The dispute underscores the tensions that corporate workers and their employers are navigating as companies call people back to the office and workers fight to keep their flexibility. Many companies have started to issue office attendance rules, with some indicating that they will monitor badge swipes or incorporate compliance into performance reviews.

For employees at Grindr, the difficulty of the N.L.R.B. case will be proving motive, said Matt Bodie, a professor at University of Minnesota Law School. “What Grindr will say is that it reached this completely independent of any actions by the employees to organize,” Mr. Bodie said. “The one thing the union has in its favor is that the timing does look suspicious.”

A Grindr spokesperson said the company told employees at an off-site meeting in June, roughly five weeks before the plan was announced, that Grindr would be ending its “remote first” work policy, with details to be announced in the future. Several employees recalled that when they had asked about the plans, executives at the meeting had reassured them that changes would not occur within the next one to two quarters.

Under Grindr’s new return-to-office plan, many of its U.S. employees, some of whom were hired remotely, will have to report two days a week to the offices where their teams are clustered — meaning engineers will be in Chicago, the marketing team in Los Angeles, and the product management and design teams in both Los Angeles and the Bay Area. Some other teams haven’t yet been assigned to an office, and won’t be required to move until 2024.

Employees have until Thursday to decide whether they will comply with the policy, according to the plan reviewed by The Times. It is not clear exactly how many workers will have to move.

Employees say the disruption to their personal lives is significant, with leases, families and medical providers tying them to their homes.

Jack Alto, 31, a software engineer, said he was struggling with the decision because he had just switched apartments in Pittsburgh before being told that he had to move to Chicago.

Companies are legally allowed to change working conditions during a union campaign period so long as they had already been planning to do so, though not if the changes are due to the union effort, Mr. Bodie said.

Erick Cortez Sanchez, 24, a knowledge specialist in Dallas, joined Grindr in 2021. His teammates were told that they will have to report to an office by 2024, though they don’t yet know which office. Those employees will find out more after the new policy begins to take effect, according the company memo.

“We’re in a complete state of confusion,” Mr. Cortez Sanchez said, adding that he is supposed to decide whether to renew his lease in Dallas within the next month.

At some companies, workers have formed associations — like #AppleToo, a group of Apple workers — to express their viewpoints about return-to-office plans and ask for more flexibility. Many companies have granted some level of flexibility through hybrid plans, asking workers to come back only two or three days a week.

Management experts said return-to-office plans that required people to change cities could hurt morale.

“It seems incredibly disruptive from a life perspective,” said Melissa Nightingale, a co-founder of Raw Signal Group, a management training firm. “Do I understand why the employees impacted by this are raising an eyebrow? Yes.”

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Fork of Unknown Origins posted:

They’re all so low it’s hard to make any conclusions about where they actually are relative to each other. I wish we had more robust ranked choice polling so we knew where they’d stand if Trump dropped out, but that would probably make it even harder to get polling results from people.

The leaked debate prep info also has leaked internal polling and other data analytics. According to the their internal polling, DeSantis is getting destroyed in Iowa, but in NH it is:

Trump: 38
DeSantis: 16
Vivek: 11

Since DeSantis has sworn off attacking Trump, trying to knock down Vivek and get those 11% who are already not on the Trump train makes sense.

Someone asked all the Republican candidates (except Trump, who isn't appearing in public) what they think the top 3 issues for young voters are:

quote:

Mike Pence

1) Lack of Jobs
2) Economy
3) The ability to raise the level of the political debate to allow us to talk about issues in a civil and productive way

Ron DeSantis

1) Draining the Swamp
2) Corrupt politicians and woke corporations
3) Getting political agendas out of the military

Doug Burgum

1) Economy

[Said that was the only issue]

Vivek Ramaswamy

1) Economy

[Couldn't think of two more]

Tim Scott

1) Economy
2) College Affordability
3) Mental Health Crisis

Francis Suarez

1) High interest rates
2) Inflation
3) Illegal Immigration

Asa Hutchinson

1) High interest rates
2) The national debt
3) Social Security going bankrupt

Larry Elder

1) Economy
2) Climate Change
3) Abortion

(Elder says that Climate Change and Abortion should not be their top issues and he doesn't think they are top issues, but that is what he thinks young voters believe are top issues.)

Nikki Haley

1) That the government isn't going to tell them what to do.
2) That they are allowed to be part of the solution.
3) [Couldn't think of a third issue]

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Aug 17, 2023

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs
Larry Elder, voice of the Youth.

Twincityhacker
Feb 18, 2011

Ah yes, infamously cheap places to rent office space in = checks notes = Chicago, LA, or the Bay area.

Like, drat, I'm not a computer toucher, but except for those workers that are doing stuff like physical server maintence I don't see why a dating app needs anyone to show up in person. Doesn't productivity go *up* when you work remote anyway? So even from a purely profit motive perspective it makes more sense because you get more bang for your buck on saleries AND you don't have to either rent or own offices.

But, no, you gotta make workers miserable for an ego power trip. =/

EDIT: And, yes, in this specific case legal union busting.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
How will dipshit execs/directors/managers "Grind" and creep on younger people if they are not there in person?

I swear this is a partial driver for it.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
:chloe:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Twincityhacker posted:

Ah yes, infamously cheap places to rent office space in = checks notes = Chicago, LA, or the Bay area.

Like, drat, I'm not a computer toucher, but except for those workers that are doing stuff like physical server maintence I don't see why a dating app needs anyone to show up in person. Doesn't productivity go *up* when you work remote anyway? So even from a purely profit motive perspective it makes more sense because you get more bang for your buck on saleries AND you don't have to either rent or own offices.

But, no, you gotta make workers miserable for an ego power trip. =/

EDIT: And, yes, in this specific case legal union busting.

Usually it's that the company already has office space and is tired of seeing the space empty. They're already paying rent on that space, and for one reason or another they can't just end the leases entirely and give up their physical presence altogether, so they want to see that space used. Besides, in-person work is easier for managers to manage.

There doesn't seem to be any real consensus on the productivity impact of remote work. Some studies say it increases productivity, some say it decreases it. It's hardly clear-cut. What does seem to be the consensus is that workers tend to think WFH increases their efficiency, while managers tend to think WFH decreases productivity.