Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

Akaiku posted:

Wow, I drove to yellowknife once, it's several hours from basically anywhere and isn't exactly a small town. Where are they evacuating people to?

20k people are being evacuated

they haven't established reception centres yet but i assume we'll hear something shortly. they're urging them to go stay with friends/family outside of the evac zone as first priority

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Akaiku
May 17, 2013
just double checked, it's 7hrs 12 mins to the nearest town with a stoplight and pavement, seems unideal

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Heeelp meee... prevent wildfires

Tungsten posted:

yaupon holly / ilex vomitoria

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_drink

it does seem like a safe bet that more people will try to cultivate it. its natural range is the gulf coast so maybe you'll be able to grow it around the great lakes once we're a few more degrees of warming along

I've got some of this. It's pretty mild and unexciting as far as flavor goes. I'm sure Starbucks could make a sugary milkshake out of it.

Susan at the office bringing back the little cardboard box of black drink. Well really be able to get to work on this project once we've had our ritual vomiting purification

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Akaiku posted:

just double checked, it's 7hrs 12 mins to the nearest town with a stoplight and pavement, seems unideal

Fort Providence is 3.5 hours away.

Charlatan Eschaton
Feb 23, 2018

https://twitter.com/DrTELS/status/1690033875047849984
this twitter thread mentioned scars on the land from agriculture so i wanted to see some overhead pictures of what maui looked like before all the fields. turns out that's impossible, all the orignal sandalwood rainforests that used to be there were cut down decades before airplanes were even invented and the land was farmed on constantly until 2016 lol.

did find these survey pictures from 1950, there are a couple places around the far edges of some fields and along the coast that look like older trees

https://guides.library.manoa.hawaii.edu/aerials/digital
from here, somebody good with photogrammetry could probably make a 3d model with the 1950 oblique set.

https://www.tourmaui.com/blog/maui-sugar-cane/ posted:

Ancient Hawaiian Land Management

Ahupua’a Land Division System

In ancient Hawaii the concept of individual land ownership was unknown to ancient Hawaiians. The Hawaiian society was a caste system based on royal bloodlines. The ruling class (Ali’i) managed all the resources of a district within pie-shaped areas of land that ran from the mountains to the sea. Large areas of the island were divided along natural boundaries such as gulches and streams. These large districts were known as mokus. Within each moku, the land was divided into an Ahupua’a. Often a dozen or more Ahupua’a were contained with a Moku.
These ahupua’a were defined by resources such as streams and valleys running from the mountains to the ocean. Most Hawaiians in ancient times lived from sea level to around 1000’ elevation. Villages were situated near the ocean with fish ponds (lava rock walls extending out into the ocean from shore) which let smaller fish into the pond through an ingeniously designed gate. As the fish grew, they became too large to fit back out through the gate leaving them trapped. They were then caught in nets as needed.
Farther up the valley or stream from the village terraced patches were built and water diverted from nearby streams to irrigate these patches in which grew taro and sweet potato. The irrigation system emptied back into the stream which flowed to the sea carrying nutrients that fed the fish in the ponds. It was an ingenious system that sustained the Hawaiian population for centuries.

Progression Of The Hawaiian Economy

The Sandalwood Trade

Hawaii’s economy has changed several times since European discovery in 1778. First, it was the Sandalwood trade. By 1790 Kamehameha was waging war to unify the islands into one kingdom. Kamehameha negotiated a trade with the foreigners to acquire armaments and western style ships. Sandalwood, known by the Hawaiians as ‘Iliahi, was sought after by the Chinese who used the fragrant wood for incense, medicinal purposes and for building details and carvings. Starting around 1810 this trade decimated the island’s environment and the Hawaiian’s way of life.

Native commoners were ordered by Kamehameha to harvest the trees for taxes. Trees were cut, and the logs carried down the mountains on the worker’s backs. Sold by weight the average bundle of wood carried by each man was 133 lbs. Though the King put a Kapu (forbidden) order on cutting seedlings or young trees, after his death in 1819, an all-out assault began on the forests. The sandalwood forests of Maui once covered the slopes of Haleakala and the West Maui Mountains from sea level to the summits in a three-layer rainforest canopy. By 1840 the forests were gone, and the Sandalwood trade collapsed. The forests that once captured clouds and rain could no longer support the Ahupua’a system as it had in the past.

The Whaling Trade

The Sandalwood trade was replaced by the whaling industry.

The Maui Sugar Economy

The whaling industry was replaced by the sugar industry

https://twitter.com/kosmi64833127/status/1691057433035128832

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
yeah native hawaiians cut down all the sandalwood trees to trade for guns. It really wrecked the islands.

Gravid Topiary
Feb 16, 2012

FlapYoJacks posted:

Fort Providence is 3.5 hours away.
fort providence is pretty small, it's mostly where you fill up on gas before the tedious drive south/north
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2023/aug/17/yellowknife-wildfire-canada-evacuation

quote:

As thick smoke blanketed the city, traffic backed up the main road leading towards the town of Fort Providence, where hundreds of people spent the night sleeping in their cars in the parking lot of a service station.

Linda Croft, the manager of the Big River service station, said that traffic had been heavy since Wednesday morning as people attempted to escape. “It’s lined up right back along the highway, no end in sight,” she said.
also

quote:

Shane Thompson, the minister for municipal and community affairs, said on Thursday that people now leaving Yellowknife will have to drive 15 hours south to Leduc, Alberta, to find accommodations, as the other evacuation centres in between the two communities are now full.
leduc is south of edmonton so wtf? also that 15 hour drive at normal highway speed, not snail's pace evacuation speed, and lots of it is through endless bush with no gas stations or cell coverage, ugh

this is kind of funny though:

quote:

More than 2m hectares of the territory have been burned this season, and more than half of its population is now under evacuation order. Roads out of the region also pass through areas with active fires.

On the other side of Great Slave Lake, residents of the village of Hay River were told to leave Sunday.

Garth Carman, who drove out with his 16 cats, described witnessing scenes like “the apocalypse”

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

Gravid Topiary posted:

Garth Carman, who drove out with his 16 cats, described witnessing scenes like “the apocalypse”

reveal yourself, goon evacuee

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

Gravid Topiary posted:

leduc is south of edmonton so wtf? also that 15 hour drive at normal highway speed, not snail's pace evacuation speed, and lots of it is through endless bush with no gas stations or cell coverage, ugh

they're sending them to red deer, valleyview, and fox creek now. fully expect they'll be putting them up in calgary at this rate

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

its time to get back to our roots and start drinking mayan hot chocolate, a most delicious beverage

Just a Moron
Nov 11, 2021

Akaiku posted:

Wow, I drove to yellowknife once, it's several hours from basically anywhere and isn't exactly a small town. Where are they evacuating people to?

You won't care

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos

Cold on a Cob posted:

yellowknife is evacuating

looks like they are being cautious at this point and trying to get people out of the larger towns early when it's easy and safe

https://twitter.com/Songstress28/status/1692148781029245419?s=20

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

unsurprising. air canada are absolute pigfuckers

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

What are the chances the fires consume the Great Mine where all the arsenic is stored?

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
no idea and i was wondering the same. it's deep underground for the most part, though some buildings on site are contaminated. i can't even find confirmation if it was ever frozen or not, apparently keeping it frozen is part of the remediation plan

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

lol for a minute I read that as "Yellowstone is evacuating" and I had many feelings in a row

im_sorry
Jan 15, 2006

(9999)
Ultra Carp

Cold on a Cob posted:

they're sending them to red deer, valleyview, and fox creek now. fully expect they'll be putting them up in calgary at this rate

I'm in Grande Prairie... I feel like I should be helping, but I'm not sure what I can do. I found some donation links on the Government of Alberta website, and I'm going to do some donating right now (:toxx:) but I feel like I should get off my fat rear end and do a direct action.

edit: I'm going to take a leak, get a beverage.. then donate.

edit: Done... $210 for the humans, $210 for the animals. If you want to be cool and redistribute some of your excess power coupons, https://www.alberta.ca/northwest-territories-wildfire-evacuation has links.

im_sorry has issued a correction as of 21:01 on Aug 17, 2023

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

They hated Futanari because His posts were shit.
Wholly unsurprising for Air Canada ngl

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

YOU CANNOT MAKE A MISTAKE SO BIG THAT 80 GRIT CAN'T FIX IT!
:smug:
Good news for the biosphere!

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!
New ecosystems mean new economic opportunities! Number be praised!

Tungsten
Aug 10, 2004

Your Working Boy

new ecosystems, infinite ecosystems, but not for us

Zoodpipe
Jun 24, 2004

This is an important call. So, shut the fuck up.
Fallen Rib
“A new life awaits you in the Off-World colonies. The chance to begin again in a golden land of opportunity and adventure!”

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

frozenphil posted:

Just like after the Permian mass extinction, life did even better!

This is a GOOD thing for all us diversity loving organisms of Earth.

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

Akaiku posted:

Relocating temporarily outside the environment, for safety. Don't worry 'bout it.

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

https://twitter.com/edgarrmcgregor/status/1692238126113251456

IT'S HER TURN!

RIP Syndrome
Feb 24, 2016

frozenphil posted:

:hmmyes: when this bad thing has finished happening, maybe another thing will happen

sleep with the vicious
Apr 2, 2010
My cousin in yellowknife posted an ig story about evacuating and how they are safe, then i read this latest page in the biosphere thread and felt sad and discouraged, and i compulsively went back onto ig just to see another friend in kamloops posting about how fires are coming over the ridge and they are being told to evacuate

Lol

Unless
Jul 24, 2005

I art

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eYYx722ZYrs

Gravid Topiary
Feb 16, 2012

evacuating from kamloops is always good advice ngl

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

our algorithm sets prices automatically based on demand so it's impossible to blame anyone for this, sorry

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

ARKSTORM

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

sleep with the vicious posted:

My cousin in yellowknife posted an ig story about evacuating and how they are safe, then i read this latest page in the biosphere thread and felt sad and discouraged, and i compulsively went back onto ig just to see another friend in kamloops posting about how fires are coming over the ridge and they are being told to evacuate

Lol

Excited to hear what your coming IG post will be when your camera records such manmade horrors.

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

Maybe. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-YobPD8D_E&t=14s

sleep with the vicious
Apr 2, 2010

Skaffen-Amtiskaw posted:

Excited to hear what your coming IG post will be when your camera records such manmade horrors.

Nah, these horrific wildfires will never turn on ME

hypoallergenic cat breed
Dec 16, 2010

Cross posted from the political cartoons thread

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

#lockitin

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
Now will people finally stop bitching about how low Lake Mead is? Jeez.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

It's time to pokemon go to the storm shelters

Unless
Jul 24, 2005

I art

e: wrong thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HAIL eSATA-n