Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tuna-Fish
Sep 13, 2017

dr_rat posted:

Reddit says it basically just an playstation fanboy account putting out the spoiler. Also haven't seen anyone confirm it's real. It's just spoiling a twist, which if true would be very, "oh, okay." type deal. I don't care to much about spoilers so others may be others would think it's a major thing though.

But personally I'm leaning towards it being fake just because of who's spreading it. If you are avoiding, spoilers yeah could find it on twitter and reddit were talking about it, but didn't see it unspoiled there others said it was though.

The specific reason to believe it's real is that the same person leaked a lot of other stuff earlier, and it was just confirmed by official sources. So then they looked at what he posted that wasn't yet confirmed, and that spoiler was the big one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PeePot
Dec 1, 2002

7c Nickel posted:

The Q&A was ok, but I was far more interested in this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TuM_1xSQCFw

Part 1 of Adam Savage and his team building a scale model Frontier with motion control mounts. Maybe part of a live action commercial? Anyway, good chance you're probably the kind of nerd who likes this stuff.

Jesus.

My hopes for being able to export your ship to STL to 3D print have been crushed. At least for a while until some talented folks rebuild all the modules with interlocking connections.
From 3:30-5 you can see the work he had to do on the 3D model from the game files. :freakout:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TuM_1xSQCFw&t=223s

Sandepande
Aug 19, 2018

John F Bennett posted:

I have never played a forgettable single-player Bethesda since Morrowind. They have all been 10/10 GOTY's for me personally.

Same. They are lovely.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Bethesda studio games may have their issues but they do always have their interesting and fun things to do!

Oh and from the discord thing, was I the only one who when they heard about the Serpent religion trait thing and it said that if you take it you get some status bonus if you jump a lot, it meant your character just jumped up and down a lot, and it wasn't taking about your ship making jumps to other solar systems and what not? Cos yeah that sounds like it's way less annoying.

Also and yeah I really like The Jaunt'esq nature of that religion starting. Nice premise with just enough goofy'ness about it. Could very much imagine someone starting a religion after a warp/jump what ever.

"Hey I just went through folded space, of course I saw god! Oh and gods a snake just FYI.".

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

As somebody who loved smuggling contraband in Sunless Skies I'm intrigued about getting to do so in Starfield as well. The goods themselves probably won't be as creative, but I sure do love hidden compartments

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
About two weeks to go. Can barely believe it.

PeePot
Dec 1, 2002

ThaumPenguin posted:

As somebody who loved smuggling contraband in Sunless Skies I'm intrigued about getting to do so in Starfield as well. The goods themselves probably won't be as creative, but I sure do love hidden compartments

From the Q&A yesterday, sounds like upgraded scan proof modules for when you enter cities.

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

Media folks confirming they got review codes and that their reviews are going up August 31

https://twitter.com/tomwarren/status/1692178809574088722?s=20

ZeeBoi fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Aug 17, 2023

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack

PeePot posted:

From the Q&A yesterday, sounds like upgraded scan proof modules for when you enter star systems/planets.

FTFY. Not that there's much difference. The authorities scan you when you approach controlled planets.

ZeeBoi posted:

Media folks confirming they got review codes and that their reviews are going up August 31

Getting keys two weeks early to get a decent review in, which can be released the day before early access starts, is a really positive sign.

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~

CLAM DOWN posted:

did any of you horrific nerdlords get the collector's edition? I want to know about this smartwatch lol

Sup

PeePot
Dec 1, 2002

AirRaid posted:

FTFY. Not that there's much difference. The authorities scan you when you approach controlled planets.

Wonder what space jail is going to be like. I always just save scum when stealing and getting caught. They gonna confiscate my Space Skooma and put boots on my landing gear?

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
I wish I could’ve been pathetic enough to get the collectors edition but the monsters didn’t make it available in Sweden.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Lame they gated early access behind a $40 premium upgrade.

netizen
Jun 25, 2023

dr_rat posted:

Apparently you have to fight Musk as the final endboss, but as he's set to be an unkillable charter you always die. :(

Actually the ending is full disclosure. Todd Howard comes out and tells you the aliens are real, it's all real.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Popete posted:

welcome to 2023

netizen
Jun 25, 2023
I mean, you get the expansion with that + some extras so it's not nothing...

Seems like a pretty good deal to me when games are $70 nowadays.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Popete posted:

How else would you suggest they gate it? If they didn't gate it it wouldn't be early access, it would just be the release date.

PeePot posted:

Wonder what space jail is going to be like. I always just save scum when stealing and getting caught. They gonna confiscate my Space Skooma and put boots on my landing gear?

From the Q&A it sounds like the system itself is identical to Skyrim's. You get caught and you can either submit, go to jail and loser your contraband, pay a fine and lose your contraband, or try to fight your way out. Jail itself is something you can potentially escape from I think, as in the TES games.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

AirRaid posted:

How else would you suggest they gate it? If they didn't gate it it wouldn't be early access, it would just be the release date.

Then make it the release date. Other games have done this same thing, sometimes it's just used as a pre-order incentive and it doesn't cost extra.

I'm not gonna make a big stink out of it, I already pre-ordered the game I just don't want to spend an additional $40 to play it early. It's clearly an up-sell.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Popete posted:

Then make it the release date. Other games have done this same thing, sometimes it's just used as a pre-order incentive and it doesn't cost extra.

I'm not gonna make a big stink out of it, I already pre-ordered the game I just don't want to spend an additional $40 to play it early. It's clearly an up-sell.

sounds like you're making a bit stink out of it

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

What else am I going to do with this huge pile of disposable income

netizen
Jun 25, 2023
Todd's gonna get his.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
Weird seeing people fall over themselves to defend increasingly lovely business practices from billion dollar companies, especially on SA. At least this comes with the first DLC but if the game's ready charging people extra to play early is pretty poo poo

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

big mean giraffe posted:

Weird seeing people fall over themselves to defend increasingly lovely business practices from billion dollar companies, especially on SA. At least this comes with the first DLC but if the game's ready charging people extra to play early is pretty poo poo

lol no one is doing that, clam down

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Heavy Metal posted:

Han Solo didn't craft anything.

He crafted a heating blanket out of some random extraterrestrial's guts

Heavy Metal posted:

Is it optional in Starfield? I did beat Skyrim, got that feather in my cap.

Everything is optional in Bethesda games including the main quest.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

big mean giraffe posted:

Just pretend the release date is September 15th and the special free early release date is September 6th if that helps you.

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~

big mean giraffe posted:

It costs the same as the season pass DLC normally would for any other BGS title. Are some people paying extra to get in early who wouldn’t otherwise care about the DLC? Sure, but this still seems pretty minor on the corporate malfeasance Richter scale.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

netizen posted:

Actually the ending is full disclosure. Todd Howard comes out and tells you the aliens are real, AND HE IS AN ALIEN!!!!!

ThaumPenguin posted:

Only contraband I can remember them mentioning is human organs. I would imagine for a few places drugs as well. It would be nice if there were some other stuff, not holding my breath though.

Illegal human organ smuggling at least does sound suitable Sci-fi dystopian and hope there's some related missions to reflect that. (although it's not like that's even just a sci-fi thing alas that actually happens today. :( )

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Cucumber sandwiches are the real contraband

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Azhais posted:

Smuggling sandwiches in inside big bundles of drugs and human lungs.

No, no officer I'm just transporting meth I swear!

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

it's literally Skyrim with guns

Ninurta
Sep 19, 2007
What the HELL? That's my cutting board.

Has anyone preloaded this on PC Gamepass yet? I'm wondering if I should go ahead and do it this weekend, despite knowing there's probably another 100GB patch on the 5th.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Azhais posted:

Smuggling cucumber sandwiches to Mars in exchange for improved stealth systems and/or political faction favor

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

smoobles posted:

it's literally Skyrim with guns

No you didn't learn a shout, you um, learnt the weirding way from dune, dragonborn.

I mean great artifact toucher.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
This is kind of interesting.

The version of Starfield that reviewers are playing right now is v1.6.35.0.

For comparison, Skyrim day one patch was v1.1.21 and Fallout 4's was v1.1.30.

So when they say they have been polishing and iterating for an extra year, believe it.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I bet there were some mildly-heated arguments about how to manage that version number.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

7c Nickel posted:

This is kind of interesting.

The version of Starfield that reviewers are playing right now is v1.6.35.0.

For comparison, Skyrim day one patch was v1.1.21 and Fallout 4's was v1.1.30.

So when they say they have been polishing and iterating for an extra year, believe it.

For context, the current version of Skyrim Special Edition on Steam is 1.6.640.0.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Subjunctive posted:

I bet there were some mildly-heated arguments about how to manage that version number.

They should of done a doom and of had it V1.666

I mean they could still possibly do that with the day one release version.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Subjunctive posted:

version numbers in games are totally arbitrary right? if you're not exposing an API semver doesn't make any sense

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

I would really lock down now if you're all about surprises. I've already seen people post the menu screen, all the achievements leaked and (this was something alluded to in the trailer but still is a big one) all of the different "magic" abilities

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

VostokProgram posted:

version numbers in games are totally arbitrary right? if you're not exposing an API semver doesn't make any sense

I'd assume larger games with huge amounts of people working on them over many years would have some sort of system worked out for them just to make it easier to figure out just by looking at the version number how new it is and what not.