Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

just saw this about a fargo season 5......... gator and ole munch —— good names

https://twitter.com/FilmUpdates/status/1692179231810240732

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

the xenomorph feels like very well worn territory, idk how much left there is to say about how good at killing stuff it is

if it's a true prequel they could totally omit the alien and just have it be about hosed up poo poo the company does

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

there already is an alien prequel without a xenomorph that's about how stupid humans are!!!

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

I will go to bat for promeetee/covenant but it was baffling they set up the "who are the engineers?" plot in promeetee and then fast forwarded to "the engineers all died off screen" in covenant

It's the same fatal poo poo they did in the star wars sequel "oh yeah, luke had a new jedi academy but it burned down before the events of the movie" like that isn't the much better premise (& those stupid dork cosplayers they forgot about and had to cram into the third one)

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

just saw this about a fargo season 5......... gator and ole munch —— good names

https://twitter.com/FilmUpdates/status/1692179231810240732
i like jon hamm so i'm down.

although fargo s4 was really pretty drat bad so i've kinda lost interest now

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

the xenomorph feels like very well worn territory, idk how much left there is to say about how good at killing stuff it is

what of it killed like 3000 predators.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
what if people are the real xenomorphs

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

gently caress, man. poo poo

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

the littler mouth is a metaphor for our conscience

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

indigi posted:

Yknow Burke I don't know which species is worse- you don't see them loving each other over for a Goddamn percentage

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

we don't need to make new alien movies, we just need to finish convincing everyone that Alien3 is as good as Alien 1 & 2.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

if you think about it Ripley was the real alien

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

StashAugustine posted:

Yknow Burke I don't know which species is worse- you don't see them loving each other over for a Goddamn percentage

what if it was a percentage of juicy human flesh. they'd gently caress each other over for that you loving idiot

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

the mystery in Afterparty season 2 isn't nearly as good as season 1 but it does have a character say "I would kill myself in public to have sex with him" which made me laugh a lot

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

indigi posted:

Nah they’re the Chinese needle snakes the Engineers are using to get rid of all the Bolivian tree lizards

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003

Some Guy TT posted:

so im on the final season of man in the high castle and this show has officially reached peak grossness with a plot about violent armed black liberation against the japanese occupation because japanese racism against black people is so unprecedented they dont even let black people work in food service

i think the weirdest part of watching this is like nine times out of ten socially conscious fiction about this historical period goes too far in making the bigotry too absurd and man in the high castle does this too but to the completely differently aimed effect of implying that all the bad stuff is uniquely incomprehensibly bad compared to reality as we know it

like youd never guess from man in the high castle as a reference that this was a time period of moral panics and xenophobic paranoia and aggressive government surveillance against political action because these are all presented as uniquely nazi and japanese ideas incomprehensible to people outside of these contexts i mean hell one major plot point seems to imply that nazis are just waltzing into government offices masquerading as dead people and easily stealing all our scientific breakthroughs at no risk of being discovered

i was done by the end of season 3. "jahr null" was such a complete misapprehension of american history and culture. the very assertion that american culture is inherently anti-fascist paves the way to fascism.

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

we don't need to make new alien movies, we just need to finish convincing everyone that Alien3 is as good as Alien 1 & 2.

i was surprised when I heard alien 3 is considered bad. I think it's pretty good and the director's cut is excellent. it's literally just an alien movie but the alien is a dog and the space truckers are rapist monks. it seems like a rad way to do a sequel

it's also visually as good as alien 1, which is to say, one of the best of its decade

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

both alien 1 and alien 3 prove that taking a guy who makes top tier TV commercials and giving him a phallic space monster slasher just works and is the best way to transition into being one of top studio directors

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
didnt they like almost drown the actors in those cool underwater scenes

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

indigi posted:

I

that's not true. Yime Nsokyi is non-binary, and Flere-Imsaho and Genar-Hofoen both transition... kind of

you are very right, oof

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

the Affront seems like a pretty cool civilization to vacation in tbh but I think Genar is doing chauvinism

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

https://twitter.com/BenShh1/status/1692017827862270356

e: VVVV poo poo, didn't notice, edited VVV

loquacius has issued a correction as of 21:35 on Aug 17, 2023

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

click thru for cropped pic

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

Welp, gonna be doing a Culture series reread when I'm finally finished with the Hyperion Cantos series.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

flying into kens rear end and piloting him like a robot was the best part of the Barbie movie

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Skaffen-Amtiskaw posted:

Welp, gonna be doing a Culture series reread when I'm finally finished with the Hyperion Cantos series.

for a sec i was hoping Dune would lead to a Hyperion movie but the world's not actually ready

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

for a sec i was hoping Dune would lead to a Hyperion movie but the world's not actually ready

Maybe a HBO MAX show. Even then...

I read the first two Hyperion books in 2013 or something. Didn't realise there were two more books in the series until this year, lol. I recall Banks had treatments done for a couple of Culture books, but nothing came of it. I think there was a BBC radio play of The State of the Art.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Skaffen-Amtiskaw posted:

Hyperion itself was fantastic, one of the best books I've ever read tbh, but it got weird in the later books

Endymion in particular was kinda groomery

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

loquacius posted:

Hyperion itself was fantastic, one of the best books I've ever read tbh, but it got weird in the later books

Endymion in particular was kinda groomery

Look, this 12-year-old time travelling child is destined to be Raul's wifey, so who are we to argue with the Technocore gods?

Read the first book in a week. Endymion has been on and off for months now. I just aren't as into it the same way, alas.

Aglet56
Sep 1, 2011
i've talked about it before but dan simmons was also a big-time creep when it came to teenage inuit girls in The Terror

Fleetwood
Mar 26, 2010

biggest hochul head in china
I rewatched Aliens a few nights ago and the way the Colonial Marines talk and act in the first half of the movie is so ridiculous that I had to downgrade it. Paul Reiser as Burke is one of cinemas all-time amazing sleazoids tho

e: also the last fifteen minutes or so is bananas as everything keeps getting worse and worse while they try to escape

Fleetwood
Mar 26, 2010

biggest hochul head in china

loquacius posted:

Trying to pick my next book (almost done with my current Discworld book, Going Postal, which I am absolutely gonna do a post on ITT when I'm done bc it owns). People like the Culture series, right?

Should I read Consider Phlebas or just jump straight into Player of Games? Opinions seem mixed

I've been stuck on book four, Excession, for a while bc life stuff keeps pulling me away but it's maybe my favorite Culture book so far.

I've just been reading them in publication order. I already have my paperback copy of Inversions which is the one I've been really eager to get to

I think Consider Phlebas was actually the second or third Culture novel that Banks wrote. Use of Weapons was written first but published third.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
Hyping up the Alien (I hate the stupid “Xenomorph” term) as some kind of transcendental ultimate being that cannot be defeated in all the post-Aliens sequels, spin offs, tie-ins, etc was always the dumbest thing since the literal second movie showed you can easily gun them down en-masse with a single rifle burst. Even sidearms are shown to work. The first movie got it’s scares from the fact the cast was like eight unarmed truckers in the Titan Submersible. The second got it from the marines being so macho and arrogant they, not the Aliens , killed their own entire squad and lost all their ammo in a friendly fire accident. The Aliens are less evolved and dangerous than the bugs from Starship Troopers.

Popy
Feb 19, 2008

the colonial marines rule cause it starts with them being acting all badass and poo poo, but they end up getting hosed up so bad.

Popy
Feb 19, 2008

they are colonial marines not xeno hunting marines of course they are gonna suck against anything that isn't an unarmed worker

La Louve Rouge
Jun 25, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Aglet56 posted:

i've talked about it before but dan simmons was also a big-time creep when it came to teenage inuit girls in The Terror

i'm a tremendous nerd who recently got into the x-mens and has decided to go into some of their older storylines

so i know multiple man and layla miller as "a married couple of x-men" but then i go back to messiah complex and i find out that layla was actually a magical twelve year old who insisted she would marry multiple man for some time before she got aged up and they were put together

and it's like what's the point? why put this poo poo in there? you're not chris claremont but i know it's still to jerk off to

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003
Aliens good because James Cameron not because aliens.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

No we need more Xenomorphs and Terminators. Preferably in the form of endless soft reboots

Doc Fission
Sep 11, 2011

Prometheus and Alien: Covenant were both pretty fun TBH. The alien abortion scene was metal as gently caress, and if you wanted to read it politically it's certainly unambiguous about "people shouldn't have to carry things in their bodies that they don't want".

I think you can still make a pretty good thriller with xenomorphs. Covenant is the first film that really sold me on the apex predator aspects of the things - it has some of the clearest CGI action scenes featuring a horrible murder beast I've ever seen. If nothing else, I'd pay for some well-storyboarded alien murder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

yeah the alien abortion scene was just terrific cinema although those staples would not have held the rest of the movie with how much she was working