Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: MokBa)

dodgeblan
Jul 20, 2019
I've been playing this game a bunch since finishing it and the postgame is really enjoyable. There's so many things that I like about it that I wanted to post a bunch of them

I have really been enjoying the simple rhythm of exploring the groundworld. When i was still doing the main quest i very rarely travelled by ground and I also didn't really have the patience for it when there were main quest objectives to do. Ever since i discovered that blupees lead you to caves the process of heading in a direction and finding caves and shrines has been very enjoyable. I walked from lookout landing to zora town and found the experience to be very charming.

The other thing I really love is how so many of the side quests have an outcome that changes the world in some tiny way. So many of the people I've rescued have shown up on the road at a later date.
One of the naked guys shows up as a fashion traveler later, which cracked me up. The zora baby and human adventure duo returns to Zora town.

The one that really surprised me in lurelin

One of the final little lurelin quests is to give a sad lady some curry. I thought this would be a nothing quest but she puts up a cute little flag! stuff like this adds so much to the game to me

another one

I basically forgot about hateno after doing the wacky election questline and went back and the mayor's wife told me that he was doing something in a field and discovered the sun pumpkin quest, which was a fun little touch. I love that the field changes after you do it.

and finally everything about the gerudo desert was awesome.
The gerudo treasure quest was super cool and very involved. I loved that it had so many interlocking steps. It felt kind of like a harder end game quest that was reminiscent of older zelda. Also cool that they included the hints from the sand seal in case you get stuck. I thought that archeologist was going to go to the east gerudo ruins after you did it but apparently she doesn't.

dodgeblan fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Aug 17, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

Finally finished the game. Did all quests, shrines, caves, and wells. 250 hours. Yeah that was worth $70. And in 2 years i'll do it all again.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
The jumping from flower to flower part in the forest haven (wind waker) is really annoying.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

bowmore posted:

The jumping from flower to flower part in the forest haven (wind waker) is really annoying.

Now that's a complaint I've not heard in a long time...

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

How many dicks do I have to suck for a WW port release before my international flight this fall. The sky’s the limit

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

ChocNitty posted:

Finally finished the game. Did all quests, shrines, caves, and wells. 250 hours. Yeah that was worth $70. And in 2 years i'll do it all again.

Why the he’ll would you wait two years? Start over tomorrow. :black101:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

dodgeblan posted:

The other thing I really love is how so many of the side quests have an outcome that changes the world in some tiny way. So many of the people I've rescued have shown up on the road at a later date.

Just curious if you did what was probably my favorite "little" thing in the game, involving Tarrey Town and Gerudo Town. If you take a photo of the little girl who had to move to Gerudo Town (I took a photo of her eagerly showing off her balloon to her new friend :3:) and show it to her parents in Tarrey Town, they both cheer up immensely. That's it, it doesn't add anything extra to the game, doesn't unlock any skills or abilities, it's just something really nice you can do for a mom and dad who are missing their kid. I loved it.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

The Maroon Hawk posted:

How many dicks do I have to suck for a WW port release before my international flight this fall. The sky’s the limit

Not going to happen until next year so the soonest. Nintendo isn't going to risk someone buying wind waker instead of totk.

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

Well, I was thinking the story has been pretty mid and repetitive up until now, but darn it (near end game) Zelda's dragon reveal got me a little. I even figured it out way ahead of time!! But the actual transformation and aftermath were both done very well.

E: Then another endgame mechanic question. Controlling Mineru kind of stinks. Any good items to equip, either for movement or attacking? I had more luck just using a spike ball and flame thrower than trying to aim the cannon properly.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Captain Hygiene posted:

Now that's a complaint I've not heard in a long time...
it's still real bad, especially if you are bad at video games like me

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow

Chieves posted:

Well, I was thinking the story has been pretty mid and repetitive up until now, but darn it (near end game) Zelda's dragon reveal got me a little. I even figured it out way ahead of time!! But the actual transformation and aftermath were both done very well.

E: Then another endgame mechanic question. Controlling Mineru kind of stinks. Any good items to equip, either for movement or attacking? I had more luck just using a spike ball and flame thrower than trying to aim the cannon properly.

You can equip any attachable item, white level enemy drops are fine. I only just got it but I like to do a white moblin horn and a shock emitter to zap guys but I mostly prefer leaving them to their devices with that stuff

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

Chieves posted:

I would suggest unequipping the vow of mineru

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Yeah I basically use her exclusively to ride across big rear end gloom patches I don't wanna deal with

My son rode her off a sky island and dismounted, which was good for a laugh as she plunged like a mile straight down into the ether

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

She is free bullet time

Picayune
Feb 26, 2007

cannot be unseen
Taco Defender

Chieves posted:

I stick gloom weapons on both arms because she doesn't take the gloom damage from them. Then I just let her go do her thing and ignore her otherwise.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Picayune posted:

I stick gloom weapons on both arms because she doesn't take the gloom damage from them. Then I just let her go do her thing and ignore her otherwise.

:aaa::hf::bang:

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd
i stuck silver lynel parts on her and she seemed to lose them within 5 minutes. I then decided it wasn't worth it

Dictator.
May 13, 2007

#Blessed

Finished the final sage sidequest and beat Ganondorf/Demon King last night in a play sesh that lasted until 2:00AM.

Found the fight a little frustrating, the Sages all running around, blight everywhere, didn't manage a single flurry rush and only 3 or so shield parries, so hard to get the timing right. Eventually I strapped rockets to my shield and killed him with a 3X wild lynell bow and gibdo bones, since I hadn't used those at all during the game. The final form (Dragon ganon) was cool but too easy, like the giant pig in botw

Now to wrap up some other quest lines like the newspaper one, still have 1 tower to unlock (Lurelin area), a few caves, and a bunch of X's in the depths, which will be easier now that I can walk across the gloom with the robot.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Dictator. posted:

Finished the final sage sidequest and beat Ganondorf/Demon King last night in a play sesh that lasted until 2:00AM.

Found the fight a little frustrating, the Sages all running around, blight everywhere, didn't manage a single flurry rush and only 3 or so shield parries, so hard to get the timing right. Eventually I strapped rockets to my shield and killed him with a 3X wild lynell bow and gibdo bones, since I hadn't used those at all during the game. The final form (Dragon ganon) was cool but too easy, like the giant pig in botw

Yeah the final fight is a spectacular set piece but mechanically very easy. It almost felt like part of the ending because it seems nearly impossible to fail. Which hell, is perfectly in line with the rest of the game. And a nice chance to take a breath after like 30 straight minutes of combat and gloom. So no complaints.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

I died on the QTE to save Zelda when she's falling. Either you have to hold and I mashed or the opposite. I don't remember. it was humbling.

Albatrossy_Rodent
Oct 6, 2021

Obliteratin' everything,
incineratin' and renegade 'em
I'm here to make anybody who
want it with the pen afraid
But don't nobody want it but
they're gonna get it anyway!

mastajake posted:

I died on the QTE to save Zelda when she's falling. Either you have to hold and I mashed or the opposite. I don't remember. it was humbling.

Huh. I've seen some youtube videos claiming that this is literally impossible. Like, that at some point you actually stop moving towards the ground so you can try to save her again? Is this wrong?

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

Eh it's been a while. I thought I died but it's also possible I just failed and that scenario happened instead.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

You can definitely fail the QTE (I did the first time due to the same confusion between hold and mash), it just creates some distance again and you try the sequence again, but there is no Fail state per se.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.
Zelda wakes up while falling, starts screaming and flailing, then stops after a few minutes, looks around, and eventually sees Link, also still falling, but engrossed in some game on the Purah Pad. He waves, then goes back to the game.

Dictator.
May 13, 2007

#Blessed

Docjowles posted:

Yeah the final fight is a spectacular set piece but mechanically very easy. It almost felt like part of the ending because it seems nearly impossible to fail. Which hell, is perfectly in line with the rest of the game. And a nice chance to take a breath after like 30 straight minutes of combat and gloom. So no complaints.

In the lead up to Ganon:
the white Lynel fight was pretty difficult, actually the only Lynel fight I’ve done so far, cost me a lot of sundelion food. I did skip a whole bunch of enemies in this circular space after the part where this ledge collapses. The white moblin in front of the door I blew off with a gust of wind.

The music was really awesome as well.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.
The first time I went down there, I ran from The White lynel fight with a mask but took some damage when something else saw through it. I subsequently Noped out when Gloom Hands showed up, because I hadn't gotten confident.

The second time, I unmade the White Lynel with an ancient Arrow, killed the Gloom Hands left a Travel Medallion at the latest possible point at the dropoff to the Monster Forces battle and went on to beat the game.

Since then, Travel Medallion.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I saw the light dragon exactly once and wasn’t high enough to catch it. Now I never run into it

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I saw the light dragon exactly once and wasn’t high enough to catch it. Now I never run into it

It has a 2 hour long loop around the map and is pretty high up for most of it. There's a way to get it to fly lower if you go to the forest

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
Wrapped up the game today and had some thoughts that I felt I simply MUST share

As far as the actual endgame went I thought it was pretty disappointing compared to BOTW. Diving into the castle pit was cool but the path down was ugly and boring, the encounters were nothing noteworthy. It was cool to end up at the location from the start of the game but otherwise it was just whatever. The castle dungeon in BOTW was way more interesting. The ganondorf fight was fine, the twist of him being able to dodge and then kill your hearts was cool. The dragon was also cool. It doesn’t ruin the rest of the game or anything obviously.

Overall the game is amazing, I think it could have done with some reallocation of certain content. The sky islands felt weirdly unimportant for what was such a focus of all the marketing. The depths could have used something else to do as well. The main hyrule map is awesome like last time, the caves and wells are an awesome addition and the vehicle stuff was fun too even for somebody painfully bad at creative building like that. Aside from the slightly disappointing design endgame lead up the only other quibble I had is that the sage spirits are super annoying and I hugely preferred the champion abilities from BOTW. The depth of content in this game is such that I don’t think I would want to play it more than once. I will probably pick it up again to gently caress around with finding more shrines and wells and stuff.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Bismack Billabongo posted:

Wrapped up the game today and had some thoughts that I felt I simply MUST share

As far as the actual endgame went I thought it was pretty disappointing compared to BOTW. Diving into the castle pit was cool but the path down was ugly and boring, the encounters were nothing noteworthy. It was cool to end up at the location from the start of the game but otherwise it was just whatever. The castle dungeon in BOTW was way more interesting. The ganondorf fight was fine, the twist of him being able to dodge and then kill your hearts was cool. The dragon was also cool. It doesn’t ruin the rest of the game or anything obviously.

The part with his health bar that just kept going was also pretty cool. But yeah, I kind of agree.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
Oh yeah that was good too. Although it would have been funnier if the extra part was yellow like when link has bonus hearts or stamina

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

A curtain is pulled back revealing a vault filled to the brim with Hearty Durians, which he then gorges himself on

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

I want some future DLC that returns the BOTW champions abilities to use in TOTK. Make it have some plot that explains what Calamity Ganon is versus Demon King Ganon.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Coxswain Balls posted:

The part with his health bar that just kept going was also pretty cool. But yeah, I kind of agree.

The fact that it stays lopsided instead of just a bigger centered bar makes me chuckle every time I remember it

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Epic High Five posted:

A curtain is pulled back revealing a vault filled to the brim with Hearty Durians, which he then gorges himself on

When you visit the shrine of resurrection chamber it should just be an empty cave with a handlettered wooden sign saying LINK'S DURIAN HOARD

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Whelp. Started the evening with four shrines left to go, and conveniently, four shrine quests left to go, so I figured this would be an easy way to finish out the shrines. Used a guide to find the starting points for the last four shrine quests but planned on not going any further with the guide than getting the initial quests.

Found out by way of talking to the NPCs that I'd already done 3/4 of the remaining shrine quests :v:

Now I have three more shrines to go and no idea where to find them :mad:

game owns

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

bawk posted:

It has a 2 hour long loop around the map and is pretty high up for most of it. There's a way to get it to fly lower if you go to the forest

Is there a dumb way to like, keep teleporting somewhere until it pops up? I did hear if you do the forest it becomes a lot easier to find

Dictator.
May 13, 2007

#Blessed

Do the forest, it becomes very visible then..

Dictator.
May 13, 2007

#Blessed

maltesh posted:

The first time I went down there, I ran from The White lynel fight with a mask but took some damage when something else saw through it. I subsequently Noped out when Gloom Hands showed up, because I hadn't gotten confident.

The second time, I unmade the White Lynel with an ancient Arrow, killed the Gloom Hands left a Travel Medallion at the latest possible point at the dropoff to the Monster Forces battle and went on to beat the game.

Since then, Travel Medallion.

The hands I just 3xbomb-arrowed the poo poo out of. The ghost ganon fight did also suck. So much gloom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Is there a dumb way to like, keep teleporting somewhere until it pops up? I did hear if you do the forest it becomes a lot easier to find

Basically, you can't speed up the dragon paths in the game. It's on a 2 hour loop (or half hour for the other dragons) and that's unaffected by fast-traveling, staying at inns, and resting at fires. So the bad news is that you can't just pick a spot and rest until the dragon shows up.

It does mean that if you've done some exploring, you should be able to bounce between a few different sky islands and see if you can find the light dragon on the horizon, since fast-traveling won't make it disappear/reappear. The Wind Temple and the Water Temple are both really good for this since they're so high up already. If your map is filled out, any sky island that's more white than beige is what you're looking for. You'll start to recognize it because while the three elemental dragons stick around their respective areas (faron/gerudo for farosh, lanayru/necluda for naydra, akkala/eldin for dinraal) and spend half the time underground, then any time you see a dragon in a spot that's not explicitly one of those areas, that's the light dragon.

If you've got travel medallions, put some down on the very top of those island chains where you play the diving minigame. They're usually super high up, have a good look out over the entire area, and you can quickly use some balloon vehicle when you spot it.

The easiest method is absolutely still just going to the forest, though.