Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Yea I saw that and I’m disappointed. The assembly might have the votes to override it if they bother to do that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

I learned something from an offhand comment in an article about Pritzger vetoing that Bill. Illinois has a permanent (sort of) high level radioactive waste storage facility.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Morris_Operation#:~:text=The%20Morris%20Operation%20in%20Grundy,near%20the%20city%20of%20Morris.

I knew there was a processing plant across the street from Dresden that never operated, but I never knew spent fuel was moved there. Makes sense why the building is still there, and not demolished after 40 some odd years.

Jows
May 8, 2002

Yeah, I think GE built it with the intent of it being a reprocessing facility, but that clearly never panned out.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster
Isn't the country's only Uranium processing plant just outside Metropolis?

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Lammasu posted:

Why would you put it there you know Lex Luthor’s just gonna steal that poo poo to try and turn it to kryptonite

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

DC Murderverse posted:

Why would you put it there you know Lex Luthor’s just gonna steal that poo poo to try and turn it to kryptonite

You ever been to the Superman Festival? it's kind of neat.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
The nuclear bill was also one of the few bipartisan issues that passed the legislature. Pritzker just made it harder to work with the few sane republicans left in Illinois

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Darren Bailey was on TV the other day: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LhiUMLRgT-w&t=45s

:monocle:

Nash
Aug 1, 2003

Sign my 'Bring Goldberg Back' Petition

Lammasu posted:

You ever been to the Superman Festival? it's kind of neat.

The real excitement is the Fort Massac Grand Encampment every year. All the bagpipes you can handle!

Jows
May 8, 2002

Lammasu posted:

It's the only site that makes UF6 yes. The UF6 is then shipped to other sites for enrichment.

rachel ray romano
Jul 5, 2021
I, too, am curious why the governor didn't give a giant de-regulatory handout to the industry currently wrapped-up in Mike Madigan's indictment.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

“Giant deregulatory handout” aka simply allowing them to be built

Also he didn’t even cite that in his statement just a bunch of BS from the sierra club

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Also ComEd doesn’t necessarily own the power plants. The Byron one is owned by Constellation Energy. The nuke plant moratorium has nothing to do with the comed scandal.

Jows
May 8, 2002

ComEd's parent spun off all their nukes and other generation into their own independent company last year.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

https://twitter.com/tspraguephoto/status/1691885873854374101

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

"I would have won the race but for that."
Dick bigger Jr. Had some good grandparents.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Scipiotik posted:

Dick bigger Jr. Had some good grandparents.

The town is probably named after his family (Biggsville).

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
I remember him from a Republican political ad. Dick Bigger Jr.

dwarf74 fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Aug 17, 2023

Stutes
Oct 13, 2005

Tonight's the Night
:wrong:

He is apparently the chairman of the Henderson County Democratic Party

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
He should run for governor after Pritzker's second term is up.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Stutes posted:

:wrong:

He is apparently the chairman of the Henderson County Democratic Party
Wait it was a Pritzker ad? Wow!

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Neo_Crimson posted:

He should run for governor after Pritzker's second term is up.

Are we assuming that Pritzker is running for president? We don't have term limits.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Bird in a Blender posted:

Are we assuming that Pritzker is running for president? We don't have term limits.

He'll absolutely run in 2028. He's setting it up now (just in case Joe keels over probably)

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Oracle posted:

He'll absolutely run in 2028. He's setting it up now (just in case Joe keels over probably)

He has a small operation setup in New Hampshire right now, I assume in case Biden dies and/or falls off an electability cliff between now and 6-8 months from now. I think there is a 100% chance he runs in 2028. I assume he is going to run for re-election here in 2026 as well and likely cruise to a win there which should set him up nicely for a Presidential run. At the moment he is probably the strongest candidate the Democrats have since I don't see Harris winning the ticket at this point.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Djarum posted:

He has a small operation setup in New Hampshire right now, I assume in case Biden dies and/or falls off an electability cliff between now and 6-8 months from now. I think there is a 100% chance he runs in 2028. I assume he is going to run for re-election here in 2026 as well and likely cruise to a win there which should set him up nicely for a Presidential run. At the moment he is probably the strongest candidate the Democrats have since I don't see Harris winning the ticket at this point.

Yea I agree he's running for Prez. I'm actually not sure if he'll run for reelection here or not. It would mean getting to focus solely on running for President, but I guess it does mean he still has a job if he loses. If he runs for president, I'd actually prefer he isn't governor. Campaigning is a full-time job for about 18 months now, I'd rather have an actual governor.

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie.

Djarum posted:

At the moment he is probably the strongest candidate the Democrats have since I don't see Harris winning the ticket at this point.

He probably is, but Gavin Newsom is more nationally popular I think even though he's not nearly as good as governor. People outside of the midwest sleep on how effective a governor Pritzker is.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Yea I agree he's running for Prez. I'm actually not sure if he'll run for reelection here or not. It would mean getting to focus solely on running for President, but I guess it does mean he still has a job if he loses. If he runs for president, I'd actually prefer he isn't governor. Campaigning is a full-time job for about 18 months now, I'd rather have an actual governor.

He will, it makes sense for a ton of reasons. He will easily cruise to re-election, likely with near 70% of the vote again. He can use that election cycle to setup and refine a team for a primary cycle. You are able to roll out of the Governor's race with a solid team, money in the bank and a list of donors that you can hit up again which is the important part of all of this. He can claim that he can easily win elections and push through some bills in Springfield that will help with his campaign. This was supposed to be what Desantis was to do but he is so stupid and such a bad national candidate that he was DOA.

Clouseau posted:

He probably is, but Gavin Newsom is more nationally popular I think even though he's not nearly as good as governor. People outside of the midwest sleep on how effective a governor Pritzker is.

Newsom doesn't have a chance at being President but the reason why he is more known and the Right especially likes to bash him is that he isn't effective and isn't a very strong politician. J.B. has put the fear into the GOP nationally. They keep their mouth shut for a reason.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Newsom gives off massive creep vibes but I think Whitmer is actually a stronger prez candidate than Pritzker. I’d be happy with either one though

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
I wouldn't be too confident over Pritzker's chances nationally because he has the same approval rating as Ron DeSantis and being from Illinois alone is a lightningrod for right wingers mad about Chicago.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Neo_Crimson posted:

I wouldn't be too confident over Pritzker's chances nationally because he has the same approval rating as Ron DeSantis and being from Illinois alone is a lightningrod for right wingers mad about Chicago.

DeSantis would have likely locked up the GOP nomination had he not gone on his ill advised "war on woke", Disney, the LGBTQ+ and immigrant communities while stepping on every rake he could on the way there.

The only way Pritzker could do the same is if he increased sales tax to 25%, property taxes 200%, abolished the police statewide, made all drugs legal, required every employee in the state to be in a Union, ban all guns and religion in the state. You know Right Wing fantasyland/ever Progressive's wildest dream. And then decide to roll out the worst campaign known to man, make every mistake possible and have the personality of a dead moth.

I think Whitmer also has a decent chance at the nomination, although I am surprised she didn't go for the Senate seat in 2024. My gut tells me she will likely be the VP pick though.

Lager
Mar 9, 2004

Give me the secret to the anti-puppet equation!

Neo_Crimson posted:

Yeah, there's no way there could ever be a president from Illinois.

Jows
May 8, 2002

Right wing media would go completely bananas over a Jewish guy getting the nom. Like it would probably be worse than for Obama since they're emboldened to go full mask off now.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Lager posted:

Yeah, there's no way there could ever be a president from Illinois.

I could be misremembering, but I think Obama’s election is what drove a lot of the Chicago hate. I don’t think it really existed that much before 2008. At least Chicago didn’t stand out above the other big cities until then.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

I could be misremembering, but I think Obama’s election is what drove a lot of the Chicago hate. I don’t think it really existed that much before 2008. At least Chicago didn’t stand out above the other big cities until then.

That and a gay black woman getting elected mayor moved it into overdrive.

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie.
Chicago has a worldwide crime reputation mostly because of the mob history, but even ignoring that it was called Beirut on the lake when I think Harold Washington was mayor.

I do think that Obama's election jumpstarted the latest run of it.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

It might have pushed national hatred of Chicago, but it was just an extension of how southern Illinois has been talking for decades.

I remember adults around me complaining when the license plate was going to have the Chicago skyline on it. “It is like we are not even part of the state. Just change the name of the whole drat state to Chicago!”

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Jows posted:

Right wing media would go completely bananas over a Jewish guy getting the nom. Like it would probably be worse than for Obama since they're emboldened to go full mask off now.

I dunno, Netanyahu and the Republicans are buddy buddy and I'm not sure he'd be keen on the whole antisemitism thing.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Neo_Crimson posted:

I mean, I think most people in the US hear "governor of Illinois" and if they’re politically aware just assume you will be in jail in a few years.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster
Has there been any anti-drag action in the rural parts of the state? I'm going to an anime con next weekend with a drag show, and it used to be in Missouri but probably moved because of all the anti-drag legislation going on over there. I haven't heard of any, so I don't know if constatives have better things to do or if they just know Springfield won't support it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

So far they just know that Springfield won’t support it but it is also being kept out of “non-adult places”. I have read ads for local bars (in major Trump) area having drag performances.

Also, Idaho’s teacher of the year (last year) was essentially ran out of the state and moved to Illinois to teach.