Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
is motorcycling awesome
yes
hell yes
hell loving yes
View Results

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

cursedshitbox posted:

And that's routing the half baked ktm pcv system through a 80s honda xr600l oil separator working like a pitot tube like contraption that barfs oil that isn't returned to the crankcase onto the chain at the front sprocket.

Lmao that is excellent, with ktm's superior teknik you have developed sophisticated lubrication technology as used by Harley Davidson in the 1920's

Now you just need a manual plunger hooked to the oil separator in case you hear the chain getting dry

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

about how often, ballpark estimate, should i be hitting my chain with some aerosol chain lube

e: cause, uh, currently it's "haven't bought any yet"

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
Every couple tanks of fuel road
about every other ride for dirt with a clean prior to lubing.
That's getting back into the give-a-poo poo-triangle Slavvy is talking about though.

Slavvy posted:

Now you just need a manual plunger hooked to the oil separator in case you hear the chain getting dry

ngl after spending the morning on the ktm and the afternoon working on a carbed alfa with electrical(fuel pump), ignition, and carburetor issues, I knew something felt amiss.

E: VVV: setting slack on my junk is uhhhh going by measurements I created cause ktm's were wrong, setting the screw adjusters till the tension is proper then kicking the back tire with it on the center stand and the axle nut slightly loose. It works fine on the side stand too. I understand it's a bit unorthodox.

cursedshitbox fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Aug 14, 2023

Spiggy
Apr 26, 2008

Not a cop
Lubing the chain is easy enough. Trying to get the slack and alignment is a pain in my rear end. I'm probably taking a day off riding tomorrow to do the "push in the axel nut all the way in and tighten it up from there" trick. My next bike will be belt driven because this is a rough job on my old man knees.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Get a paddock stand and a beer crate

Or be one of those extremely old men who build an elevated platform and push the bike up a ramp to get it up there

Or just get a Scott oiler and embrace your age

Slavvy fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Aug 14, 2023

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

The ultimate level of not giving a poo poo about chain maintenance is a shaft drive

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Beve Stuscemi posted:

The ultimate level of not giving a poo poo about chain maintenance is a shaft drive

changing gear oil is for suckers (ie the next owner)

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

I just let the heat oil drop all over her place off my chain onto the shed floor

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Jazzzzz posted:

changing gear oil is for suckers (ie the next owner)

It takes all of 45 seconds on the FJR so I'm going to do it anyway. 21k miles and no real service history from the previous owner so why not.

I was also pleasantly surprised how easy the oil change was on this thing, didn't have to remove a single panel or part to get it done.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

The bike is designed around lower back pain.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Toe Rag posted:

The bike is designed around lower back pain.

Another tick for Harley, everything important is on the sides and accessible while sat on a beer crate

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

opengl posted:

It takes all of 45 seconds on the FJR so I'm going to do it anyway. 21k miles and no real service history from the previous owner so why not.

I was also pleasantly surprised how easy the oil change was on this thing, didn't have to remove a single panel or part to get it done.

Have you decided what method you'll use to get the front wheel off the ground?

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

FBS posted:

Have you decided what method you'll use to get the front wheel off the ground?

I shouldn't need to until it's tire time (which may be sooner than I want, the Contis the came on it are cupping) but I'll probably do center stand + jack/wood under the exhaust. Once I have the wheel off I'll lower the forks onto something stable.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

opengl posted:

I shouldn't need to until it's tire time (which may be sooner than I want, the Contis the came on it are cupping) but I'll probably do center stand + jack/wood under the exhaust. Once I have the wheel off I'll lower the forks onto something stable.

I would suggest stacking blocks under the forks to match the height of the wheel or just leaving it on the jack, if it pitches too far forwards it'll just roll off the stand

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Slavvy posted:

I would suggest stacking blocks under the forks to match the height of the wheel or just leaving it on the jack, if it pitches too far forwards it'll just roll off the stand

That's basically what I've done in the past- two jack stands at the same height as the front wheel with wood spanning them to lower the forks onto.

e: like so:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

opengl posted:

I just did the goldwing rear end and it was a 10 minute job as someone who’s never done it before. Next time it’s a 5 minute job.

Spiggy
Apr 26, 2008

Not a cop
Redid my chain tension today and did the trick to scoot my wheel forward at the start then take the slack out equally from left to right. Yesterday's two hour fight was done in maybe fifteen minutes. Slavvy If I'm ever in New Zealand I'm buying you a beer man.

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

_________===D ~ ~ _\____/

Chain tension talk always reminds me of when I went YOLO and rode my new VanVan home through mountains and freeway after years of not riding and I felt OK about the whole thing at the time but in hindsight the stock chain was made of cheese and had over 2.5" of slack when I finally got around to checking it a couple weeks later, so I figure I'm pretty lucky I didn't eat poo poo and die, I'm sure that chain was already baggy from the PO.

BombermanX
Jan 13, 2011

I'm afraid of other people's opinions when they differ from my own. Please do not hurt my feelings.
Got my permit, going to try round 2 of the safety program this weekend. If I fail again, I won't have a problem just practicing the DMV test, which is loads easier than the safety program test.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

You can do it goon! Second time around you’ll feel more comfortable I think. What was the hardest thing first time?

BombermanX
Jan 13, 2011

I'm afraid of other people's opinions when they differ from my own. Please do not hurt my feelings.
3' staggered cone weave and the emergency swerve were it for me. I got too nervous and hit all the cones. It was also 97 F outside. This weekend it should be closer to 83.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

The thing that I’m always reminded when I do practice weaves is just how much input the bars require and I have a relatively light bike (MT03) with skinny tires that that should be really easy to turn. Like surprising amount of force forward and back on the bars.

Slide Hammer
May 15, 2009

The speed and weight of the rotating wheels really wants to keep all motorcycles upright and plowing forward. I've seen a bunch of MotoGP clips where the rider falls off and the bike just keeps on going until it hits something.

We're taught to push in the direction we want to go, but you can also pull with the opposite hand at the same time for extra turning power (don't do this on something as light as a bicycle...)

Vino
Aug 11, 2010
Riding at night on the highway is scary.

Vino fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Aug 18, 2023

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

the nighttime is much scarier than the highway

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Highway or freeway?

Like a country highway, yeah those are terrifying at night. The freeway? Eh, it’s fine, imo

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Well lit freeways late at night when there are few vehicles around are a good way to get used to freeway riding speeds without the traffic too.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
Vino lives in LA, there is no such thing as an empty freeway, no matter the time of day

knuthgrush
Jun 25, 2008

Be brave; clench fists.

Had to share some embarrassment...

I've been riding for several months now on a little xr150 and all has been fine save for the never ending anxiety of waiting to drive again at traffic lights. I went on a trip to a far away land and my buddy decided we should ride while I was there. He told the rental place I drove a dual sport and nothing more. When I showed up, they put me on a vstrom 650.

In the city, on the highways, and in the back country where roads were merely a suggestion, I did great. Hell, the foreign traffic laws and signs didn't even cause me any trouble. My problem was when we got into the ancient towns and their "parking lots" on hills.

The tiny twisty streets that barely fit a single car were difficult but manageable. Parking the stupid bike proved to be an exercise in problem solving and physics. On four separate occasions I "dropped" the bike while at a complete stop. It was a gentle lean more than anything and my pride was more scuffed than the paint. One of the parking lots took three of us to get the bike out of it (while it was still upright!) due to angle and limited space. Once we reached our turnaround point, I had the bike trailered back.

I'm proud I made the initial journey with no trouble at all and skillfully handled the bike both at speed and on tiny slow twisty streets (thanks, basic riders course). I'm also proud I recognized I was too flustered to drive it back. Each time I set it down my confidence eroded. I am not proud of the memories of people watching me lean that bike over in excruciatingly slow motion, though.

What have I learned? gently caress trying to use anything motorized on old rear end Roman settlements. Also I have no desire for a bike much heavier or longer than mine, especially something as top heavy as that vstrom.

Thanks for reading my blog post and thanks for helping me get through all the licensing and bike buying all those months ago!

Vino
Aug 11, 2010
It's just the first time I rode on an interstate at night, so my brain was freaking out because everything was different. Driving the first time at night on city roads was not as scary.

Anyway scary is a good thing, keeps me alert and cautious. I always tell myself that the minute I find myself no longer a little bit scared on the bike I should slow down a bit. But I'm definitely not going to be making a habit of it.

The crazy thing is that for as scary as I found it, there were other riders zipping by me doing 85 or something.

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

_________===D ~ ~ _\____/

Night rides on a well-lit and relatively empty freeway are exhilarating, but yeah it's way too easy to overrun your sight distance. I think in cars we frankly just ignore the risk and plan to nail that deer (because who wants to go under the speed limit).

Dude parking is hard, parking is a long-developing skill. So many ways it can get sketchy in the entrance, on the exit, with the slopes and with the stopping with your foot in a hole or the cars waiting impatiently for you to back your rear end in and belatedly thinking about how you'll get out. I'm still waiting for it to consume less than 100% of my attention. I have only three pieces of advice:

-Always park pointed uphill
-Never stop on a crotch (where a hill meets flat land, one tire on each, your legs might not touch)
-Approach slow and think about it, hell pull over without parking if you safely can, as needed to plan it out.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

If you have to park somewhere tricky you can always just get off to move the bike around for the final bit. I live in a hilly town and some of the parking spaces are unworkable to get out of if you're sitting on the bike.

Top tip, keep the bike in gear so it will only move with the clutch pulled in.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

i realized real quick the first time i parked my motorcycle in SF that "the kickstand faces uphill" is non negotiable

Vino
Aug 11, 2010
And here I thought that getting a bike would make parking easier.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

OMGVBFLOL posted:

i realized real quick the first time i parked my motorcycle in SF that "the kickstand faces uphill" is non negotiable

Coward

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

:staredog:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

This photo makes me uncomfortable

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
I don't see the problem?

E: VVV he's right. This bike won't spin for poo poo.... The fzr... would... and easily.

cursedshitbox fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Aug 20, 2023

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

E: ^^^eg in the above picture you can see a bike with an engine that feels seized even if the plugs are taken out, so perfectly safe

Quick psa kids: piston rings don't form a hermetic seal so relying on engine compression to stop the bike rolling away isn't a great idea, a steep enough hill will fight through that poo poo and eventually turn the motor over, variables are the sizes of the motor and hill

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

cursedshitbox posted:

I don't see the problem?

E: VVV he's right. This bike won't spin for poo poo.... The fzr... would... and easily.

neat trick, do it with the husband's AT DCT

I ended up with the DCT in my Goldwing b/c it was what available on the used market when I was buying. having to use a parking brake on a motorcycle will never not weird me out

Jazzzzz fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Aug 20, 2023