Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

I recently bought a Job Skip for Black Mage, but I had two rules I had to follow first:

1) It needed to be an Alt, and not my Main.
2) I needed to hit 90 on Black Mage on my Main first.

Of course, by the time I hit 90, my Server was changed to Congested, so I had to wait for it to open back up.

The reason I bought the Skip was to unlock Reaper, and play through the MSQ as said Job. It was a fun experiment, but not one I ever plan to repeat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Thundarr posted:

For this reason intermediate crafts will always be a money maker for newbies. Figure out what bits are used as part of current high end crafts, make a big pile of those bits (hq not even necessary), and sell em.

There's probably steady money to be made marketing the crafts for the HW crafter quests.

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015

Thundarr posted:

For this reason intermediate crafts will always be a money maker for newbies. Figure out what bits are used as part of current high end crafts, make a big pile of those bits (hq not even necessary), and sell em.

I shouldn't be too surprised based on the number of evergreen reagents needed for intermediate crafts, but I find it funny that the Shadowbringers flowers are still needed en masse to make the mainstat alkahests for all the Alchemy related crafts even now.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

As someone who played XI I have undercutting ingrained into my soul, sorry folks, gonna be the next tier down that ends in "69"

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House
I bought a level skip for Black Mage on my main character because I wanted something to level in Bozja while grinding to rank 15 in Southern Front. It was nice to skip having to learn all the different rotations for Black Mage while leveling and just get straight to playing it with level 80 skills. By the end of that rank grind I was comfortable enough on Black Mage to qualify for the duels which felt good

Kazy posted:

As someone who played XI I have undercutting ingrained into my soul, sorry folks, gonna be the next tier down that ends in "69"
:yeah:

Sometimes I'll also end with __,420 too because i'm such a funny guy

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Kheldarn posted:

I recently bought a Job Skip for Black Mage, but I had two rules I had to follow first:

1) It needed to be an Alt, and not my Main.
2) I needed to hit 90 on Black Mage on my Main first.

Of course, by the time I hit 90, my Server was changed to Congested, so I had to wait for it to open back up.

The reason I bought the Skip was to unlock Reaper, and play through the MSQ as said Job. It was a fun experiment, but not one I ever plan to repeat.
I was gifted a job skip for Dragoon on an alt and ended up having to buy a story skip as well. However, this was in 2019, and the reason for the purchase was that I was attempting to finish the 2.0 main story so that I could do the XV crossover on the alt and realized that even skipping cutscenes, I had like two hours left before the event ended and I was still in the Titan storyline.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Without flight just the getting around to do 2.0 would have taken you more than 2 hours, even skipping cutscenes.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
I don't think players today realize how different 2.0 and the general genre were at the time. Right now 2.0 is basically like paying on a private pirate server or with cheat codes on, so it's going to seem to have odd pacing - xp is gained probably 5x or so as fast as it used to be, skills were much different (used to have almost as many buttons as a current 90 back at level 50), the world as a whole was more dangerous and tons of enemies that are now passive used to be agro, having an ongoing story centered around the player was in itself kind of a new thing at the time, agro enemies could force you to dismount and give you heavy if you tried to run away

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

The 2.0 Northern Thanalan FATE grinding we needed to do to level up at the end of launch ARR should have prepared us for all FATE grinding we'd need to do later in the game forever.

It did not.

Dryzen
Jul 23, 2011

Vitamean posted:

there's high value in paying $18 for a single piece of an entire outfit

the hat from the siegneur's set was really the finishing touch I needed on a ton of outfits

Was hosed up learning recently that dqx sells the individual pieces

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

yeah but imagine the value of buying a bundle in case you ever decide to use the others

Genovera
Feb 13, 2014

subterranean
space pterodactyls

Vitamean posted:

yeah but imagine the value of buying a bundle in case you ever decide to use the others

I do use the boots that came with my skirt sometimes!

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

I'm still mad there's no way to reclaim cash shop items. I lost the boots for the High Summoner's outfit at some point well before glamour dressers and there's absolutely no way for me to get it back. Not even talking to a GM helped because I had no idea when it happened, despite the fact that they could look at my inventory and see the other two pieces are there so I should have it.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Sentient Data posted:

I don't think players today realize how different 2.0 and the general genre were at the time. Right now 2.0 is basically like paying on a private pirate server or with cheat codes on, so it's going to seem to have odd pacing - xp is gained probably 5x or so as fast as it used to be

And this just continues to reinforce the fact that they need to make the ability to ride mounts be a Level 10 Blue Quest, instead of requiring you to join a Grand Company, since the modern XP Curve means that you're Level 30+ by the time you get to that Level 20 Quest.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Just make the WoL move at mount speed at all times

Maximum Tomfoolery
Apr 12, 2010

Countblanc posted:

Just make the WoL move at mount speed at all times

May I offer as a compromise,

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

Occasionally when I'm traveling from one zone to another I'll dismount and see how far I can get with ninja just using shukuchi and forked raiju. often pretty far! sometimes clear across a map

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

TheWorldsaStage posted:

Someone in the thread once said people who wore cash shop glams or used cash shop mounts were 'showing off'. I always get a chuckle whenever I remember that

Hello. What I said was I feel it's not the flex they think it is, and I was referring (though not explicitly in that post) to the ones who just wear the entire outfit, undyed (or bonus with full coats of cash shop jet black/metallic gold), to idle in Limsa.

Part of it is just jealousy that I don't have the free cash to drop on something like that, I see an outfit that does admittedly look good and go, "Oh, that's the Eastern Lord Errant's jacket. ...and the gloves. And the pants. And the shoes. So I can't use any of that." And I've done some dreamfitting to find things that look good on Oaken (Dirndl's top actually works okay on him, for instance), I'd be buying these things if I had cash to spare.

The rest of it is grumping at the laziness on display. Wanting to look good but not wanting to go to the effort of hunting down two dungeon sets, a crafted piece, and a savage raid drop to mesh into a harmonizing whole. :cloud:

Is it a stupid viewpoint? Yeah, probably. But I'm judging everyone's clothes already, making some value judgements on their character is hard to avoid.

DanielCross
Aug 16, 2013

Dareon posted:

Is it a stupid viewpoint? Yeah, probably. But I'm judging everyone's clothes already, making some value judgements on their character is hard to avoid.

I think it should be very easy to judge someone's clothing completely and utterly separately from their character, but what do I know.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

I mean in theory but I haven't seen the level of vitriol for people wearing a single set of armor glams except, for, like, glamour/transmog contents that explicitly ban single sets of armor for obvious reasons.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Dareon posted:

What I said was I feel it's not the flex they think it is,

...i don't think anyone thinks this is a flex.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
When I put on the fat cat pyjamas it's not because I'm trying to "flaunt" or "flex" that time I had fifteen whole dollars it's because they look cozy and I want my WoL to be cozy too

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

The people standing afk with their ultimate raid weapons are the ones you should look down on.

Dryzen
Jul 23, 2011

FuturePastNow posted:

The people standing afk with their ultimate raid weapons are the ones you should look down on.

mad?

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I am

Dryzen
Jul 23, 2011

good

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
:tipshat:

RME
Feb 20, 2012

Please I do all my ultimate weapon afking at my houses lawn

Joe Chip
Jan 4, 2014
Dawntrail better be good because YoshiP asked me to upgrade my CPU and I won't stand for wiping in Savage PF in anything less than 4K@60FPS

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Pyrtanis
Jun 30, 2007

The ghosts of our glories are gray-bearded guides
Fun Shoe
I don't think any of my glams right now use anything from the cash shop... I just did a glow up on my MNK with the latest 8 man raid chest, thav bottoms, gulg boots, job gear tiara thingy, emperor's hands, antiquated Sudarshana Chakra weapon. I'd post my character picture from the lodestone but it's displaying my RDM despite listing the correct gear for my MNK.

Genovera
Feb 13, 2014

subterranean
space pterodactyls

Dareon posted:

Hello. What I said was I feel it's not the flex they think it is, and I was referring (though not explicitly in that post) to the ones who just wear the entire outfit, undyed (or bonus with full coats of cash shop jet black/metallic gold), to idle in Limsa.

Nobody is doing this to flex. They're doing it because they like how it looks on their character. It's not more noble to assemble your own outfits, it's a dang videogame with a huge range of activities and different people focus on different aspects.

They're not hurting you, let people enjoy things.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

Failboattootoot posted:

Naw, it's that way because it looked stupid at base speed. They did a whole bit on it in some live letter ages ago.

I hate this attitude. Appearance is gameplay. It matters and it matters a lot. I am not particularly inclined to drag ff14 over it because their cash shop is relatively harmless compared to the broader gaming scene, but I extremely wish people would stop giving cosmetics a pass as fine to charge money for. How fine it is really depends on how the rest of the game looks. Ff14 is fine because there's no shortage of freely (well, minus sub price) available cool mounts and outfits in game. Diablo 4 is also fine because they've just crammed all their ugly outfits into the cash shop so really it's more funny than anything. WoW on the other hand is trash because the majority of cool and interesting mounts end up in the cash shop and they dole out old mount recolors for free and it sucks.

It's easier for me to spend that money than to grind poo poo out

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
you can come across more money but you only get sixty minutes in an hour

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Okay, I'm gonna need everyone who just called me angry to explain why I'm apparently coming off as angry. Because I'm honestly not getting it. Since multiple people seem to agree I'm willing to give the idea some merit, but I didn't think I was angry, and I'd think I was the one who would be in position to know that.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Dareon posted:

Okay, I'm gonna need everyone who just called me angry to explain why I'm apparently coming off as angry. Because I'm honestly not getting it. Since multiple people seem to agree I'm willing to give the idea some merit, but I didn't think I was angry, and I'd think I was the one who would be in position to know that.

I'm assuming because, when it comes to buying cash shop glams, most other people don't have the urge to impugn another person's character at all

Eight-Six
Oct 26, 2007

Dareon posted:

Hello. What I said was I feel it's not the flex they think it is, [nobody is flexing, you are projecting]

Part of it is just jealousy... I'd be buying these things if I had cash to spare. [this is your projection]

The rest of it is grumping at the laziness on display. [active grumpiness]

Is it a stupid viewpoint? Yeah, probably. But I'm judging everyone's clothes already, making some value judgements on their character is hard to avoid. [face-up acceptance of your antisocial views]

you are angry at something, even though you aren't pounding fists and shaking tables

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

So it comes off as weirdly hostile, and when online that tends to come off as anger

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Eight-Six posted:

you are angry at something, even though you aren't pounding fists and shaking tables

Yeah, maybe a simmering anger borne from bitterness rather than outright rage but still, it's not a healthy place to be coming from. About glams

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

YggiDee posted:

When I put on the fat cat pyjamas it's not because I'm trying to "flaunt" or "flex" that time I had fifteen whole dollars it's because they look cozy and I want my WoL to be cozy too