Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fatherboxx)

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Not So Fast posted:

Why would Russia seize ships leaving Ukraine? They're searching for weapons being shipped to Ukraine, so they're not going to try it on ships going the other way.

The justification might be, for example, that explosives coming from third countries were used for the first attack on the Kerch bridge. They also claimed (without evidence) that some ships leaving Odessa were used in some capacity for naval drone attacks. The reality is that they can come up with a whole bunch of justifications, the actual goal would still be to spite Ukraine and make sure that Russia can continue to exploit the food security issue to score points with some governments in the Global South.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Cocaine Bear posted:

Genocide denying or trolling. Either way, boot em.

^^

whoever (rigel mostly?) is modding in here should be actually reading the discussion in here and not just hitting buttons straight from the report forum with no context because holy gently caress what you're doing currently is not working

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Aug 18, 2023

Koos Group
Mar 6, 2013
Greetings. I'd like to clarify a few things after the somewhat contentious debate we've had over the last day.

Genocide denial is not ipso facto against D&D's rules. This is so that refutations of denial claims can be posted, serving D&D's educational purpose and providing information that can be used elsewhere against genocide deniers. However, we are sensitive to the fact that refuting such claims is arduous and takes longer than making the claims themselves. This is why rule I.A.3 (don't repeat a point that has been rebutted) exists, so that someone cannot force everyone else to rebut their claims again. One user informed me that, indeed, what MikeC was claiming about the definition of genocide and how it applies to the Russo-Ukrainian War has already been discussed in the thread, and I haven't investigated that matter yet, as I'm not a regular reader. But if so that would been additional cause for punishment, though he is already on a 24-hour ramped probation for hostility.

In cases where you believe an instance of genocide denial or other argument is so heinous it should not appear anywhere on SA at all, that is beyond the scope of D&D's rules and moderation and should be reported to the admins.

Regardless, I'd like to remind everyone that when responding to rulebreaking posts, you are not exempt from the rules yourself, and it is better to ignore and report them. We'll be giving clemency due to the sheer number of posts violating this leading some to some being confused, but this is something to keep in mind moving forward.

If anyone has questions about our moderating policies, further commentary on the incident, or advice for me, please PM me. I always read, seriously consider, and respond to PMs if needed. In the thread itself, please allow discussion to return to the war rather than the forums. Thank you.

RockWhisperer
Oct 26, 2018
U.S. intelligence says Ukraine will fail to meet offensive’s key goal

Ukraine’s forces, which are pushing toward Melitopol from the town of Robotyne more than 50 miles away, will remain several miles outside of the city, U.S. officials said. U.S., Western and Ukrainian government officials interviewed for this report spoke on the condition of anonymity to discuss sensitive military operations. posted:

U.S. officials said the Pentagon recommended multiple times that Ukraine concentrate a large mass of forces on a single breakthrough point. Though Ukraine opted for a different strategy, officials said it was Kyiv’s call to make given the profound sacrifice Ukrainian troops were making on the battlefield. posted:

U.S. officials said Washington was still open to Kyiv surprising skeptics and overcoming the odds. One defense official said it is possible that Ukraine could buck historical norms and continue the counteroffensive through the winter, when everything including keeping soldiers warm and stocked with food and ammunition becomes much more difficult. posted:

Noteworthy break of news just now.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
@Koos It's also an option to pm you (or whichever mod has jurisdiction over this thread) when a poster might not be breaking the rules in a single post in isolation, but across multiple posts which demonstrates a pattern of behaviour right? Because IIRC there's a word limit in the Report field, so if/when a poster isn't responding to arguments across multiple pages/just repeating themselves that's always an option right? Because presumably without context a specific post in isolation might not rise to rulebreaking but the aggregate sum of the contents across multiple posts might? Maybe that's a contributing factor here where maybe posters are reporting the posts but without context no action could be taken?

(I ask instead of DM'ing for the benefit of other posters so everyone knows of a potential valid alternative avenue for redress)

Koos Group
Mar 6, 2013

Raenir Salazar posted:

@Koos It's also an option to pm you (or whichever mod has jurisdiction over this thread) when a poster might not be breaking the rules in a single post in isolation, but across multiple posts which demonstrates a pattern of behaviour right? Because IIRC there's a word limit in the Report field, so if/when a poster isn't responding to arguments across multiple pages/just repeating themselves that's always an option right? Because presumably without context a specific post in isolation might not rise to rulebreaking but the aggregate sum of the contents across multiple posts might? Maybe that's a contributing factor here where maybe posters are reporting the posts but without context no action could be taken?

(I ask instead of DM'ing for the benefit of other posters so everyone knows of a potential valid alternative avenue for redress)

Yes, and I would encourage it. Though report text length is longer than it used to be as well, and can hold several links.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

What happens next exactly if this doesn't work out? Do they re-group until next Spring for another offensive?

saratoga
Mar 5, 2001
This is a Randbrick post. It goes in that D&D megathread on page 294

"i think obama was mediocre in that debate, but hillary was fucking terrible. also russert is filth."

-randbrick, 12/26/08

That article is strange. Last fall/winter the Ukrainians had been talking about trying to take Tokmak this summer, which they regarded as a huge deal as it would severely disrupt Russian supply lines. Getting past Tokmak to within "miles" of Melitopol would essentially bring the entire land route to Crimea under artillery fire, which I thought was the main objective of the offensive.

I guess if you were expecting Ukraine to win the war this summer it is failure, but was anyone realistically expecting that?

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

What happens next exactly if this doesn't work out? Do they re-group until next Spring for another offensive?

Depends on what you mean by doesn't work out. Assuming incremental gains but they don't get to Tokmak, they'll probably keep pressuring the lines to make it harder to rebuild mine fields and then push again once they're recovered and have replenished artillery. Basically, you keep pushing them slowly back until they break.

saratoga fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Aug 18, 2023

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

Sure. That's always been the assumption.

It's not like this is the only counter-offensive they're allowed to make.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

saratoga posted:

I guess if you were expecting Ukraine to win the war this summer it is failure, but was anyone realistically expecting that?

yeah when i see a major paper has suddenly gotten a classified intelligence assessment and is pushing a very specific viewpoint through it, a major question is "who told them this and why"

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

eke out posted:

yeah when i see a major paper has suddenly gotten a classified intelligence assessment and is pushing a very specific viewpoint through it, a major question is "who told them this and why"

It's called managing expectations. If someone was expecting that Ukrainians will be fighting the Crimea by September or swimming in the Azov or something, they now have a more realistic measure stick to compare the advance to. Given that there is an election coming up, doing this now can reduce political pressure later when the operations really starts to wind down due to general Mud.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

saratoga posted:

That article is strange. Last fall/winter the Ukrainians had been talking about trying to take Tokmak this summer, which they regarded as a huge deal as it would severely disrupt Russian supply lines. Getting past Tokmak to within "miles" of Melitopol would essentially bring the entire land route to Crimea under artillery fire, which I thought was the main objective of the offensive.

The words "several miles" are doing a lot of work there. I wonder how close they are thinking because several miles to Melitopol sounds like big progress to me.

Scapegoat
Sep 18, 2004
So Ruble question, it's popped back in the news again after moving to 100USD, is the consensus that their central bank has run out of reserves to prop it up? Looking at charts since the invasions major fluctuations it seems to have been on a pretty stead trajectory. I know it's heavily controlled so that the exchange rate is questionable and how much does the exchange rate matter for their economy at this stage?

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Scapegoat posted:

So Ruble question, it's popped back in the news again after moving to 100USD, is the consensus that their central bank has run out of reserves to prop it up? Looking at charts since the invasions major fluctuations it seems to have been on a pretty stead trajectory. I know it's heavily controlled so that the exchange rate is questionable and how much does the exchange rate matter for their economy at this stage?

It's back down to 95-ish. They've convinced businesses to sell more dollars locally without making it into a legal requirement for now, so that's going to keep it at that level for a bit.

saratoga
Mar 5, 2001
This is a Randbrick post. It goes in that D&D megathread on page 294

"i think obama was mediocre in that debate, but hillary was fucking terrible. also russert is filth."

-randbrick, 12/26/08

Scapegoat posted:

They're not making as much money as they were from oil while also needing to import a lot more goods to keep the war going:

quote:

Instead of reflecting the aggregated opinions of speculators, the rouble swings according to the textbook economic model, reflecting the relative strength of exports (which earn foreign currency) and imports (which must be paid for with these earnings).

Since the g7 imposed a $60 price cap on Russian oil in December, the value of exports has slumped. Russia’s earnings were 15% lower in dollar terms from January to July than during the same period last year, a fact not entirely explained by a lower global oil price. Meanwhile, imports have surged as the government prosecutes its war, and buys the goods to do so.

https://www.economist.com/finance-and-economics/2023/08/14/russia-will-struggle-to-cope-with-a-sinking-rouble

Dick Ripple
May 19, 2021

Ukraine choosing to go against US advice on massing forces is interesting. Of course the decision should come down to those commanders on the ground, but generally I do not see US planners being to aggressive in the sense that they would risk gambling a large portion of their or Ukrainian combat power unless it was worth it.

It seems like the Ukrainians are going for infiltration and the bite & hold strategy, which is not a bad call considering they probably want to try and maintain the initiative well into the winter.

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

Scapegoat posted:

Somebody posted this earlier, seems like their gold reserves are at an all time (well, post 2000 at least) high.

https://tradingeconomics.com/russia/gold-reserves

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007
Is there a chart version of the media literacy thread? That y-axis, lol.

Freudian slippers
Jun 23, 2009
US Goon shocked and appalled to find that world is a dirty, unjust place

Freudian slippers fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Aug 18, 2023

Griefor
Jun 11, 2009

Weka posted:

Somebody posted this earlier, seems like their gold reserves are at an all time (well, post 2000 at least) high.

Do note that this is a bar chart not starting at 0. The difference in the bars looks massive but the actual increase is about 1-1.5%.

Not So Fast
Dec 27, 2007

Griefor posted:

Do note that this is a bar chart not starting at 0. The difference in the bars looks massive but the actual increase is about 1-1.5%.

I think the point is that Russia hasn't had to use its reserves yet to prop up the ruble. Here's an expanded chart from the same website.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
In other news the US has committed to approving transfers of F-16s to Ukraine as soon as training of Ukrainian pilots is complete. Denmark and the Netherlands are currently training pilots, and this in theory removes the only legal barrier to those two countries sending planes from their own inventories back along with the pilots. The only remaining obstacle I can think of at this point is how quickly the logistics pipeline to keep the planes in the air can be established.

Somaen
Nov 19, 2007

by vyelkin

Discendo Vox posted:

To paraphrase, because we believe in the meaning of words, and they don't. By giving ridiculous reasons, they discredit the seriousness of the subject, and the discussion. They seek not to persuade by sound argument but to intimidate, confuse and disconcert. They are amusing themselves; the thread, its subject, and its participants are a toy. The IK and mods have given them the right to play.

You can turn this on its head and repeat things back at them in a funny voice, insult and ridicule them. Genocide deniers (I'm using this collectively because it's not just Ukraine, in all cases Uighurs and several more current and historic tragedies are in the package) are dumb as poo poo and will fume and hateread the thread but stop posting and make the space readable, if dropping in from time to time to own the shitlibs

Funny news that I haven't seen discussed:
https://www.moscowtimes.ru/2023/08/17/rossiya-ne-mozhet-poluchit-39-mlrd-za-prodannuyu-v-indiyu-neft-a52317

India bought 39 billion dollars worth of russian oil but is unable to transfer dollars due to adhering to sanctions and trying to give Russia rupees, except there's nothing to buy for them

Secondly, today was the first night that all Moscow airports got closed due to.a drone attack. Disrupting civilian air travel can be a bloodless but effective way to disrupt normal life in the capital
https://www.moscowtimes.ru/2023/08/18/v-moskve-zakrili-vse-aeroporti-iz-za-ataki-bespilotnika-a52366

EmployeeOfTheMonth
Jul 28, 2005
It's the positive attitude that does it

Not So Fast posted:

I think the point is that Russia hasn't had to use its reserves yet to prop up the ruble. Here's an expanded chart from the same website.

Well reserves are not all gold. That "wealth fund" they keep talking about as running out this year probably has some other types of reserves. I find it dissapointing that economists have no clue on how much they have left in general though.

Somaen
Nov 19, 2007

by vyelkin

EmployeeOfTheMonth posted:

Well reserves are not all gold. That "wealth fund" they keep talking about as running out this year probably has some other types of reserves. I find it dissapointing that economists have no clue on how much they have left in general though.

I was not able to find the data on the ministry of finance's website, this was the status in December:

https://twitter.com/Segozavr/status/1602323441616658433

By the end of spring, 10 billion euros remained with the rest being yuan and gold. At this point the euros are probably gone

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

saratoga posted:

Not really (I'm sure at our most optimistic we hoped they would pull that off, but 'attack is more difficult than defense' is not exactly an advanced military concept known only to the most studious of Clausewitz's followers) but the people who take issue with NATO support of Ukraine have lately been loving to insist that those who support Ukraine do actually believe this, and that Ukraine falling short is going to result in either the total collapse of their military power or a massive revocation of Western support.

They very much love acting as if Ukraine managing to last longer than like 72 hours was entirely within Russia's expectations and that Ukrainian military prospects have been massively overhyped by western propagandists.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Somaen posted:

Funny news that I haven't seen discussed:
https://www.moscowtimes.ru/2023/08/17/rossiya-ne-mozhet-poluchit-39-mlrd-za-prodannuyu-v-indiyu-neft-a52317

India bought 39 billion dollars worth of russian oil but is unable to transfer dollars due to adhering to sanctions and trying to give Russia rupees, except there's nothing to buy for them

What's weird is Russia sticking to USD instead of getting INR. All those weirdos that preach USD death as global exchange currency constantly shout dumb articles "x will sell y for Yuan/Rupees/whatever" but at the end it's still green bills with dead presidents everywhere.

Dick Ripple
May 19, 2021
You find a mix with whom is criticising the counter offensive and why. Some make good points (Michael Koffman), but most I think use it to discredit/attack their oppenents (Republicans / Democrats), and either have no idea of what is actually going on their or simply do not care (or both).

When you see, hear, or read these criticisms it is important to look at the credentials of those giving them.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006

Not So Fast posted:

Which won't be bought with Rubles because this is the opposite of what Russia is trying to do. Gold that is sold on the market will have payments mostly in another currency because anyone smart knows the Ruble is unstable atm. Dollar/Yuen/Euro etc will then be used to buy Rubles back.Two transactions makes a loss for Russia.

When you are dumping something quick, in this case gold, people know that they can get a good deal. Dumping stuff also causes something to devalue so you won't get the full value of it.

This amount of gold gets you a one time (small) bail out. Assuming full value of current gold prices, $147B to prop up a $1.7 TRILLION GDP is not a lot.

Dumping gold is in the territory of you are turbo hosed.

Edit - Russia is also ordering it's big companies and Oligarchs to deplete their foreign reserves to buy Rubles which isn't a good sign.

Tai fucked around with this message at 11:38 on Aug 18, 2023

Tai
Mar 8, 2006

Weka posted:

This graph is very very very disingenuous. The Y axis for anyone who looks at it represents barely a 1% increase but if you set the scale without starting from 0 and/or very small increases, you can manipluate anything to look to be a massive jump. This is only fools 6 year olds.

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

Ms Adequate posted:

Not really (I'm sure at our most optimistic we hoped they would pull that off, but 'attack is more difficult than defense' is not exactly an advanced military concept known only to the most studious of Clausewitz's followers) but the people who take issue with NATO support of Ukraine have lately been loving to insist that those who support Ukraine do actually believe this, and that Ukraine falling short is going to result in either the total collapse of their military power or a massive revocation of Western support.

I agree that this was the realistic view (and shared by pretty much everyone in this thread IIRC), but there are a lot of folks who get so focused on breaking news that they overestimate the chances of things to change rapidly for better or worse.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"

Dick Ripple posted:

Ukraine choosing to go against US advice on massing forces is interesting. Of course the decision should come down to those commanders on the ground, but generally I do not see US planners being to aggressive in the sense that they would risk gambling a large portion of their or Ukrainian combat power unless it was worth it.

It seems like the Ukrainians are going for infiltration and the bite & hold strategy, which is not a bad call considering they probably want to try and maintain the initiative well into the winter.

I wasn’t a general, but as a grunt US doctrine seemed to heavily emphasis risk mitigation so I’d tend to agree. On the same token I wonder if our unmatched combined arms capabilities color some of how US staff level folks would view this kind of thing

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

EasilyConfused posted:

I agree that this was the realistic view (and shared by pretty much everyone in this thread IIRC), but there are a lot of folks who get so focused on breaking news that they overestimate the chances of things to change rapidly for better or worse.

That's a fair point, although I suppose the counter would be that in the very early hours of the war that wasn't an entirely unfair belief. Like, things might have gone differently if Russia had hit an early objective like taking Antonov Airport, or they had managed to capture Zelensky. But once the initial strikes were repelled and Ukraine got their defense stiffened, it was always clear that the only way the war ends in a hurry was if Putin decided it did, and he clearly wasn't about to order that.

ummel
Jun 17, 2002

<3 Lowtax

Fun Shoe
Russia recruited operatives online to target weapons crossing Poland

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/2023/08/18/ukraine-weapons-sabotage-gru-poland/

An interesting WaPo article about Russia trying to recruit operatives in Poland for sabotage of the weapons pipeline and assassinations. It failed because Ukrainian refugees looking for work sounded the alarm.

quote:

The tasks were menial — posting fliers or hanging signs in public spaces — and the pay meager. But for a handful of refugees from eastern Ukraine, the promise of quick cash was too good to pass up.
Respondents soon realized there was a catch: The jobs involved distributing pro-Russian propaganda on behalf of an anonymous employer. For those willing to complete the assignments anyway, the work then took a more ominous turn.

Within weeks, recruits were tasked with scouting Polish seaports, placing cameras along railways and hiding tracking devices in military cargo, according to Polish investigators. Then, in March, came startling new orders to derail trains carrying weapons to Ukraine.

Unfortunately refugees are also among the arrested.

quote:

The case also has political sensitivities for Warsaw, where officials have not publicly acknowledged that 12 Ukrainian refugees are among those in custody, anxious to avoid the backlash Russia likely intended. Others arrested include one Russian and three citizens of Belarus.

In interviews, officials emphasized that while most of the Ukrainian suspects were from eastern provinces traditionally more aligned with Moscow, they appear to have been motivated more by money than ideology.

Props to Poland and the intelligence agencies nipping this in the bud, hopefully.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

i am a moron posted:

I wasn’t a general, but as a grunt US doctrine seemed to heavily emphasis risk mitigation so I’d tend to agree. On the same token I wonder if our unmatched combined arms capabilities color some of how US staff level folks would view this kind of thing

We have the 2 largest air forces in the world (the actual AF, then all the USN aircraft beyond that), and the army’s mountain of death machines helicopters puts them in the running too (on a “number of airframes” basis). Hell, I was a staff officer at one point and the first question anyone asked whenever one of our subordinate units got in a firefight was “where is the closest air support, and why isn’t it on its way already????” like it’s a given that that’s there. I mean, it was a given in Afghanistan I guess. Barely any credible threat to a plane in the sky, although the insurgents would lob rockets at runways like it was a hobby. We haven’t had the kind of war where air support isn’t taken for granted in a looooong time. Maybe early Iraq, but their AF was already gutted by a decade+ of no-fly zones.

On the flipside, there’s a reason that the jokes like “airsoft team full of veterans can’t win vs local cosplayers without calling in air support” came into being :v:

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

A couple days ago people noticed posters with "Wagner, we're here" in southern Poland (Kraków and Katowice). 2 dudes got 500k RUB for distribution of those posters. They will probably also spend next decade in prison for something so dumb...

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

alex314 posted:

A couple days ago people noticed posters with "Wagner, we're here" in southern Poland (Kraków and Katowice). 2 dudes got 500k RUB for distribution of those posters. They will probably also spend next decade in prison for something so dumb...

For hanging posters?

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 3 days!)

Rinkles posted:

For hanging posters?

For when permabans just aren't enough.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Rust Martialis posted:

For when permabans just aren't enough.

:mods:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Rinkles posted:

For hanging posters?

Acting as agents of foreign power and promoting terrorist organisation. They also got paid for those things, so no "we're just trolling" defense, that would work on some dead anime forum.