Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.
Ended up doing the samin nosrat focaccia and it’s pretty good. Easy, good flavor, lots of salt and olive oil, big portion. The second time I tried it I added some sun dried tomatoes but lol they all burnt by the time the baking was done. I guess people use fresh tomatoes for focaccia huh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ogopogo
Jul 16, 2006
Remember: no matter where you go, there you are.
We’re doing a collaboration pizza with a local vegan taco shop tonight. Vegan Birria with vegan mozz base, cilantro-lime aioli, fresh onion/cilantro and a side of consommé. Just delicious.

And some others from the last few weeks -

Margherita with pepps

NY slice special with goat cheese, mozz, fontina, blistered cherry tomatoes, garlic, red onion, and dill

NY slice special with mozz/fontina, blueberry-lavender jam, pesto, speck, basil

We did an event with our favorite local beer bar! They were tapping a cask of some smoked beer from Bamberg, Germany so we made a few dishes to go with it.

Onion stuffed with spiced ground beef/pork with chives, on top of German style mashed potatoes and a smoked beer and bacon gravy

Smoked Camembert cheese with pickled red onions, pickles, confit cherry tomatoes, capicola, and homemade sourdough smoked beer bread

And some of the burgers we have…

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum
That rauchbier is good poo poo, definitely needs pairing with strong flavors and as always you fuckin nailed it.

Made my first non-accidental calzone. Spinach, ricotta, Mozz, tomato and parmesan.

Wish I'd gotten a photo of the cross section but it was devoured before I could.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Does anybody have thoughts on pre-treated pans? While looking up bar pizzas, I saw some choices with different kinds of coatings. Lloyd Pans has a proprietary "PSTK Finish." I think it stands for "Pre-Seasoned Tuff-Kote." It apparently can hold temperatures up to 700F. I saw a discussion on pizzamaking.com about PSTK and how somebody ultimately favored BĀKALON instead, which is hard anodized aluminum with an optional pre-seasoning (I think they're just using oil).

I'm fussing over pans since I'm going with the idea of topping all the way to/past the edge of the pizza with no real outer crust to speak of for bar pizzas.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

unfortunately i mangled a third pie that i did not take a picture of. tried to get under to turn it and somehow just smashed it straight into the burner. no idea how. i thought the whole thing was gonna be ash by the time i got it out but i somehow salvaged a good 3/4ths of it. that one had like some pesto and spinach and proscuitto, i cant remember whatever else my mom threw on there. first one is just mozzarella and pepperoni for my dad and the second picture is pepperoni and proscuitto. i completely forgot to slap some anchovies on half of one of the pizzas

KRILLIN IN THE NAME
Mar 25, 2006

:ssj:goku i won't do what u tell me:ssj:

Borsche69 posted:

unfortunately i mangled a third pie that i did not take a picture of. tried to get under to turn it and somehow just smashed it straight into the burner. no idea how. i thought the whole thing was gonna be ash by the time i got it out but i somehow salvaged a good 3/4ths of it. that one had like some pesto and spinach and proscuitto, i cant remember whatever else my mom threw on there. first one is just mozzarella and pepperoni for my dad and the second picture is pepperoni and proscuitto. i completely forgot to slap some anchovies on half of one of the pizzas

beautiful rise

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

its insanely cool how rewarding it is to learn something like this

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Getting sick of my black stone pizza oven. I’ve had it for 6 years now and it’s a pain for my NY style pizzas.

1) hard heat regulation to keep it at 600 or so degrees. I either undercook or burn the bottoms half the time.

2) rotating stone is great because I don’t have to be a piazziolo and turn the pies myself, but it’s a pain because there’s no back wall to the oven, so the launch has to be perfect if you’re doing a 15-16” pie. Add to that there’s a low ceiling which makes it hard to see and launch it correctly. If I did 12-14” pies all the time then it’s an easy fix, but even with 14” pies, it’s still difficult to land it just right.

Any recommendations on an outdoor or indoor setup that can accommodate a 16” pie? I’d like it to be outside for the summer since I still have an oven with a baking steel.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Are you a bad enough dude to build one at this point?

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

its cool that this is the road everyone is doomed to go down

1. huh a pizza dough is just flour, water, yeast and salt. thats so cheap. why dont i do this myself
2. you dont even have to knead it you can prep the night before and do an overnight rise
3. i think i'll buy a pizza stone
4. hmm i can get a better finish with the broiler also
5. i think i'll buy a pizza steel
6. actually my outdoor grill gets up to 700, lets do it on that
7. what if i built a little oven inside of the grill around the steel
8. oh wow these dedicated pizza ovens are pretty affordable and just so much more efficient and put out such a better quality pizza
9. [mental static]
10. i should buy a house so i can build an outdoor brick pizza oven

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Does anybody have thoughts on pre-treated pans? While looking up bar pizzas, I saw some choices with different kinds of coatings. Lloyd Pans has a proprietary "PSTK Finish." I think it stands for "Pre-Seasoned Tuff-Kote." It apparently can hold temperatures up to 700F. I saw a discussion on pizzamaking.com about PSTK and how somebody ultimately favored BĀKALON instead, which is hard anodized aluminum with an optional pre-seasoning (I think they're just using oil).

I'm fussing over pans since I'm going with the idea of topping all the way to/past the edge of the pizza with no real outer crust to speak of for bar pizzas.

I have one of Lloyd's Detroit style pans and it works fantastically well. It's held up great over the years, and doesn't really have much issue with getting crusty cheese released from it. They're kinda odd to clean, but it's just a bit of extra elbow grease.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Borsche69 posted:

hot drat that pizza looks tasty

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

Portrait of Cheems II of Spain by Jabona Neftman, olo pint on fird
Anyone good with a pellet-fired oven? I have a costway pizza oven (ooni knockoff), and I've been having a hard time controlling heat.

The first issues is that either I burn the top or the bottom comes out light-baked. I've thrown everywhere between 750 and 950 degrees, let them cook under a raging fire, a dying fire, adding wood at any point in the cycle... No matter what I do, I consistently get fully lightly baked crusts. My doughballs are about 200g, and I always shoot to stretch over the pizza stone or get close to it.

The other issue is that I have a hard time getting the wood pellets to keep the oven hot during a whole bake cycle. I usually add a scoop of wood after pulling out a pizza to let all the wet, oily smoke move through before throwing the next. I've found that the fire usually goes out completely by the time the pizza is done, but if I add more than one, the fire is out of control and the next pizza burns.

How do you manage heat in your oven?

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Yeah but there’s two roadblocks right now:

I only cook two pizzas at a time so it seems like possibly a lot of work to get it started each time? Versus my black stone where I turn the propane on and let it roll for 20 minutes.

This isn’t our forever home and will only be here a few years before we move.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
Guess where I am right now with my wife!!!

This place is good as poo poo ogopogo and I was expecting a lot, seriously great job

ogopogo
Jul 16, 2006
Remember: no matter where you go, there you are.

Stefan Prodan posted:

This place is good as poo poo ogopogo and I was expecting a lot, seriously great job

Hey hey that’s so awesome!!! Glad y’all made it, and that it lived up to the hype. Love when goons come through!

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

HolHorsejob posted:

Anyone good with a pellet-fired oven? I have a costway pizza oven (ooni knockoff), and I've been having a hard time controlling heat.

The first issues is that either I burn the top or the bottom comes out light-baked. I've thrown everywhere between 750 and 950 degrees, let them cook under a raging fire, a dying fire, adding wood at any point in the cycle... No matter what I do, I consistently get fully lightly baked crusts. My doughballs are about 200g, and I always shoot to stretch over the pizza stone or get close to it.

The other issue is that I have a hard time getting the wood pellets to keep the oven hot during a whole bake cycle. I usually add a scoop of wood after pulling out a pizza to let all the wet, oily smoke move through before throwing the next. I've found that the fire usually goes out completely by the time the pizza is done, but if I add more than one, the fire is out of control and the next pizza burns.

How do you manage heat in your oven?

I have an Ooni Fyra; Generally I get the oven up to full-blast-furnace temp to get the stone screaming hot. Then I’ll mostly-close the flue and immediately launch a pizza. As the crust finishes, if the toppings haven’t started to brown to satisfaction, I’ll open the flue a bit more for the last thirty or forty seconds. Full-open flue will almost always burn the top before the crust finishes.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

Borsche69 posted:

its cool that this is the road everyone is doomed to go down

1. huh a pizza dough is just flour, water, yeast and salt. thats so cheap. why dont i do this myself
2. you dont even have to knead it you can prep the night before and do an overnight rise
3. i think i'll buy a pizza stone
4. hmm i can get a better finish with the broiler also
5. i think i'll buy a pizza steel
6. actually my outdoor grill gets up to 700, lets do it on that
7. what if i built a little oven inside of the grill around the steel
8. oh wow these dedicated pizza ovens are pretty affordable and just so much more efficient and put out such a better quality pizza
9. [mental static]
10. i should buy a house so i can build an outdoor brick pizza oven

I followed 1-5 but I'm hoping to skip to 10

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

bees x1000 posted:

I followed 1-5 but I'm hoping to skip to 10

i highly recommend step 9 which is where i am comfortably occupying atm

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

Stefan Prodan posted:

I also choose this man's wife's pizza

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Given housing prices, I am assuming that #10 will be replaced with "I bought an outdoor brick oven to live in."

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Hey at least it'll be warm!

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

MrYenko posted:

I have an Ooni Fyra; Generally I get the oven up to full-blast-furnace temp to get the stone screaming hot. Then I’ll mostly-close the flue and immediately launch a pizza. As the crust finishes, if the toppings haven’t started to brown to satisfaction, I’ll open the flue a bit more for the last thirty or forty seconds. Full-open flue will almost always burn the top before the crust finishes.

Maybe I should make a flue for mine. I can get the stone up to 950, but I've ended up with blackened bottoms at that temp.

On another note, I tried using charcoal tonight. The results were not great. I broke the charcoal into big thumb-sized pieces, loaded up the burner and let it get good and hot, but it reached a temp of about 575-625 and wouldn't get any hotter from there.

I threw on a half-scoop of wood to get some fire across the tops, and managed to get a little browning, but at the end of the session, I wasn't able to get quick or thorough enough cooking on any of my pizzas.

Is there a trick to it? Do I just need to break down the charcoal a bit finer? Or will I have to rig up some kind of forced draft attachment to get it more air?

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

i think the biggest problem with pellets is that its kinda like induction or whatever. where its a square wave function and the thing is either on or off. it squirts some more pellets in when it catches the temp dipping too low, in the same way that induction will cycle the current for the pan.

this isnt a problem for barbecue because the temps are so low that you cant really notice an actual dip. and also the additional pellets that get dropped in like an automated cat food dispenser aren't enough to spike the temp (although ive heard bbq people complain about getting temp spikes, even though its really just going from like 250 to 260 and then back to 250)

i think at higher temps, what you might be looking for with pizza, that's a much wilder swing. but ive never cooked on pellets before so i'm talking out of my rear end.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

i'll conclude by saying that i have the ooni karu that can use both gas and a wood tray and i do not think i will ever use the wood tray again. it is not worth it. i dont think it adds to the pizza and it is a real loving pain in the rear end to manage the fire, especially if you're doing more than one pie.

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

Yeah the fire management is a pain in the rear end and makes it difficult to manage when it's just one person cooking. The wood pellets burn nice and hot and throw flame across the top, but they need to be added every few minutes, and if you add them during a cook cycle, you get an oily taste on your pizza from the gross stuff as the wood just starts to burn.

That's why I wanted to try charcoal. I was hoping to get something where I could just load once between pizzas and forget about it, and while it does burn for much longer, it also doesn't burn anywhere near as hot. I'm kinda scratching my head about that, since charcoal combustion doesn't produce water, but it looks like it's just not drafting as effectively.

I've seen some people post oven mods where they add a USB fan or GPU blower and a little sheet metal work to turn the oven into a forced convection oven. I think between this and a rotating stone mod, it could make the process a lot easier and more consistent.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I dunno if you'll get much but maybe specify if you know what kind of wood you can resource as charcoal and if this briquettes or lump or what. I won't assume anything there.

Mesquite lump charcoal should go pretty fierce though.

My fear with wood in these little ovens is I would be pressed to get things going outside the oven and then shoveled in. I am just surprised there's enough room for a fire in them.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Borsche69 posted:

i'll conclude by saying that i have the ooni karu that can use both gas and a wood tray and i do not think i will ever use the wood tray again. it is not worth it. i dont think it adds to the pizza and it is a real loving pain in the rear end to manage the fire, especially if you're doing more than one pie.

Ooooof I just looked at the Karu, that is a complete pain in the rear end. The Fyra has a fuel chamber above the fire box, maybe a third as tall as the chimney. You fill it with pellets after you initially get the fire going, and its enough for an entire cooking session. The only fire management I have to do while I'm cooking is modulating the flue.

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

Anyone ever make naan? I've heard you can make naan in an ooni, and I'm curious if anyone here has done this and has a recipe.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

HolHorsejob posted:

Anyone ever make naan? I've heard you can make naan in an ooni, and I'm curious if anyone here has done this and has a recipe.

I just used chef john's recipe and had a cast iron flat pan that I could throw on an induction burner at max temp. It worked awesomely - I'm assuming any pizza oven would do as good as or even better a job.

https://foodwishes.blogspot.com/2019/02/garlic-naan-now-100-tandoor-free.html

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

His dough is probably more home cook friendly though. I'm assuming a more traditional dough is probably a higher hydration and then done at higher temps

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

HolHorsejob posted:

I've had really good results making naan on my baking steel on top of the stove, just the steel set on two burners cranked to max.

Gwaihir fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Aug 17, 2023

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

Naan made! I ended up going with one I found on reddit that some poster specifically worked up for a pizza oven. Gave it a 3 hour ferment, followed by a foldover, divvy-up, and 2 more hours to rise.

It's killer. These are the first 2 pieces, before I worked out the technique. The dough was incredibly sticky and difficult to separate from anything I put it on, but with a little patience, I could separate most of it, fold it over once, spread it thin, and blast it with fire.

The hot stone and the flame overhead gave it a lovely puff & browning, and my gf hit it with a brushing of butter. It was as good as the best I've had in a restaurant.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

HolHorsejob posted:

I did it ages ago in my first WFO and it was quite simple and fast. They really puffed the hell up so I would wonder how a shorter oven would do.

My schemes to make a tandoori oven so far have been suppressed though.

My Dad Nintendo
Oct 7, 2005

My takeaways from making pizza:

-There is no cheat-code to good dough. 24hr poolish, 24hr rise in the fridge. You can't impatient the chemistry
-A packet of fleischmann's yeast is too much for a single pie, 1/3rd of it is proper - compare a modest yeasted dough given 48hours in the fridge vs a 3hour tour with a tablespoon of yeast. It's marked difference

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

Ditto on #1. I did a test where I made pizza with the same batch of dough at the Day 1/3/5/9/14 marks, and the taste peaked at about a week.

As for #2, I'd agree that 1 packet is too much for a single pie, but how much depends on how big your doughballs are. As long as you have enough, the amount of yeast is immaterial. Most of the flavor comes from the length and quality of the ferment. The author of The Breadbaker's Apprentice describes it as teasing out all the flavor from each granule of flour.

For flavor, the factors I've found to be important are:

- Relatively fresh, professional-grade, unbleached flour. I paid $12 for a 25 lb bag of 00 pizza flour at my restaurant supply store, which will probably last me 4-5 months.
- Flour additives - A small addition of good-quality semolina or spelt flour
- Patient fridge ferment - I give mine maybe an hour on the countertop and 3+ days in the fridge. If I don't end up using it, I roll it into the next batch in the hopes of establishing a sourdough starter.
- Everything else - Nice olive oil, add salt before rolling out, wood-fired oven if you have one, browning, etc.

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I did it ages ago in my first WFO and it was quite simple and fast. They really puffed the hell up so I would wonder how a shorter oven would do.

My schemes to make a tandoori oven so far have been suppressed though.

I tried it out yesterday and it was fantastic. Simple 3 hour countertop ferment, a 2 hour rise, then into the pizza oven it went. It was easily as good as the best naan I've paid money for at a restaurant, I'm definitely doing this whenever I'm craving indian food. Might even make for a segue into indian pizza.

A tandoor is the dream but yeah, quite a commitment of space

Anode
Dec 24, 2005

Nail me to my car and I'll tell you who you are
Does anyone have a good method of parbaking in an outdoor oven and finishing in a regular oven? I want to parbake some extras on pizza night for family to make when I'm at work, but not sure how the lower hydration dough would work in a regular oven.

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum
When I've done this I usually just make regular dough, put the sauce on but no cheese or other toppings, undercook slightly (not by much, you still want a bit of color in the base /crust) and freeze immediately, stacked between some kitchen paper on the base and saran wrap on the top. Works ok for heating back up on a regular kitchen oven, just top and add cheese, give it enough time for the cheese to melt, so 5 mins max at 230C on a stone or steel.

E: I don't even Defrost.

StarkingBarfish fucked around with this message at 10:15 on Aug 28, 2023

Fall Dog
Feb 24, 2009
ogopogo, I've just been catching up on this thread and your food looks ridiculously incredible. You and your team should be super proud of what you do!

Does anyone have any experience with using pizza oven inserts for pellet smokers? They're basically a similar concept to an ooni, except they sit directly over the fire pot of the smoker. I'm curious about how well they can cook multiple pizzas in a row and if they're appropriate for making dinner for four, for example. To me, they (ooni ovens) seem better suited for a party scenario where people can pick at individual pizza as they come out of the oven. My current set up is using my pellet smoker to cook four pizzas simultaneously.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Fall Dog posted:

ogopogo, I've just been catching up on this thread and your food looks ridiculously incredible. You and your team should be super proud of what you do!

Does anyone have any experience with using pizza oven inserts for pellet smokers? They're basically a similar concept to an ooni, except they sit directly over the fire pot of the smoker. I'm curious about how well they can cook multiple pizzas in a row and if they're appropriate for making dinner for four, for example. To me, they (ooni ovens) seem better suited for a party scenario where people can pick at individual pizza as they come out of the oven. My current set up is using my pellet smoker to cook four pizzas simultaneously.

Isn't the perpetual problem with "grill pizzas" that the heat source is situated well below the pizza, making it very challenging to cook the top of the pizza at a decent speed? Also, since the heat source is relatively far away from the stone, wouldn't you have issues making repeated pizzas back to back? The pellet smoker inserts I'm looking at don't really look like they do much to alleviate that