Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cdc
May 28, 2007

To you, Baldrick, the Renaissance was just something that happened to other people, wasn't it?

Data Graham posted:

Same here (I don't generally resell my computers, but this M1P 16" is staying with me until there's something markedly better which I'm not even sure I can picture).

The only thing that bugs me about it (still) is the gigantic trackpad which still gives me fits, and relatedly the top case that takes patina from my hands real bad. I got a hand rest protector decal from Amazon that fits nicely and solves the patina problem, though it's too late to save the top case for reselling I'm sure; they'd have to swap that out if they were going to refurb it (I imagine they do that anyway as a matter of course).

The decal kit came with a trackpad-sized piece too which I guess is supposed to just go on top of the trackpad and protect it from thumbprints while transmitting touch, but I didn't put it on because both of those are pointless for me — a) the trackpad doesn't take patina anywhere near as bad as the case itself does (still looks pristine), and b) what I really want is a touch-blocking mask decal about 1" wide that I can just stick to the left side of the trackpad and make it dead for my left thumb. I'm going to try cutting a piece of foil to fit under a strip I trim from it and see if that helps.

Such a dumb problem to have and it could be easily solved in software but apparently Apple has moved all the trackpad APIs deep down into the kext layer so nothing third-party can get at it anymore. So we're reduced to gluing foil to the drat thing

Huh? How do you manage to do that? I used my old MBP for hours a day for almost ten years and apart from a few scratches there's no patina at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Beats me. It never happened with any of my previous MBPs, with the same usage patterns going back ~20 years, but my M1 now looks like this:

Data Graham posted:

So after a year and change with my M1 MBP,

Is there anything I can do to get rid of this patina from my hands resting on it? I've tried isopropyl, vinegar, ...

How the hell does this even happen to aluminum

Data Graham fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Aug 14, 2023

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
this is why I’ll never get a space gray MBP

cdc
May 28, 2007

To you, Baldrick, the Renaissance was just something that happened to other people, wasn't it?

Ok Comboomer posted:

this is why I’ll never get a space gray MBP

Weird. A few years ago I had a space grey intel MBP at work, that over two years saw very heavy use. No patina on that either.

Do you guys sweat sulphuric acid or something like that?

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
not the first time i've heard of this on the newer anodized macs

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I suppose it's possible I started sweating different substances right around December 2021

Riven
Apr 22, 2002
I do think it’s a body chemistry thing. I have like, decent hygiene and wash my hands multiple times per day but yes, I must sweat sulphuric acid or something. Everyone hypes the Pro screen but it hardly matters for me because mine is always smudged AF from the oils my fingers leave behind on the keys and where I rest my palms always have a bit of a patina like that. It’s the same on my old 2017 pro. So not new to this generation’s finish, it’s a me thing.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Riven posted:

I do think it’s a body chemistry thing. I have like, decent hygiene and wash my hands multiple times per day but yes, I must sweat sulphuric acid or something. Everyone hypes the Pro screen but it hardly matters for me because mine is always smudged AF from the oils my fingers leave behind on the keys and where I rest my palms always have a bit of a patina like that. It’s the same on my old 2017 pro. So not new to this generation’s finish, it’s a me thing.

https://youtu.be/sAkL2-vh2Sk

Riven
Apr 22, 2002
Highest compliment anyone could possibly give me.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

SourKraut posted:

That's because the 14" MBP is The Lord's Perfect Laptop and nobody can convince me otherwise!

I spent a lot of time in this thread wondering about it and the 15 inch air.

I got the 14 pro. It is a perfect laptop, and almost a month in I adore it.

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

last year i rewrote something awful from scratch because i hate myself
can someone tell me how i'm supposed to know if the Caldigit Thunderbolt 3 is going to support the devices/wires I plug into it?

I've consistently had issues over the past couple years with mine, trying to get it to support 2 monitors. I can plug 1 monitor into a USB-C slot, but then I tried to plug a second monitor into the DisplayPort port and then tried a USB-C slot and both didn't work.

I've consistently had issues with knowing how to get these ports working together, and my only guess is that I've got too much poo poo plugged into it. Currently I use 2 USB ports for my keyboard and mouse, 1 USB-C to charge my laptop, and then 1 USB-C for my first monitor

as far as i'm concerned, this product is not worth the money, but maybe I just don't understand it.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

teen phone cutie posted:

can someone tell me how i'm supposed to know if the Caldigit Thunderbolt 3 is going to support the devices/wires I plug into it?

I've consistently had issues over the past couple years with mine, trying to get it to support 2 monitors. I can plug 1 monitor into a USB-C slot, but then I tried to plug a second monitor into the DisplayPort port and then tried a USB-C slot and both didn't work.

I've consistently had issues with knowing how to get these ports working together, and my only guess is that I've got too much poo poo plugged into it. Currently I use 2 USB ports for my keyboard and mouse, 1 USB-C to charge my laptop, and then 1 USB-C for my first monitor

as far as i'm concerned, this product is not worth the money, but maybe I just don't understand it.
Assuming you've got a TS3 Plus try plugging your USB-C Monitor into the downstream Thunderbolt port (I've highlighted it in orange) in case you aren't already:

Plugging it into the downstream port forces it to go onto the other Thunderbolt channel and can help alleviate bandwidth problems if one of them is overloaded on the dock itself. This also works on TB docks intended for Windows devices such as the Dell WD docks and the HP Thunderbolt docks.

I don't know exactly what resolution monitors you're trying to run but Thunderbolt 3 can easily handle two ~4k signals at once with the right inputs. I've got two 1440p@120Hz running through my older Elgato Thunderbolt 3 dock using the same USB-C/DP combo you're trying to get working on the Caldigit one and I'm sure we have people at work with the same combo you're trying to use on that dock as well.

Honj Steak
May 31, 2013

Hi there.

teen phone cutie posted:

What Mac do you use? M1 and M2 devices can’t do more than one external monitor.

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

Honj Steak posted:

Well the desktops can do two screens, but they don't have a built in screen. So two screens total on M1/M2, assuming they are like 4k60 or less.

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

Mercurius posted:

Assuming you've got a TS3 Plus try plugging your USB-C Monitor into the downstream Thunderbolt port (I've highlighted it in orange) in case you aren't already:

Plugging it into the downstream port forces it to go onto the other Thunderbolt channel and can help alleviate bandwidth problems if one of them is overloaded on the dock itself. This also works on TB docks intended for Windows devices such as the Dell WD docks and the HP Thunderbolt docks.

I don't know exactly what resolution monitors you're trying to run but Thunderbolt 3 can easily handle two ~4k signals at once with the right inputs. I've got two 1440p@120Hz running through my older Elgato Thunderbolt 3 dock using the same USB-C/DP combo you're trying to get working on the Caldigit one and I'm sure we have people at work with the same combo you're trying to use on that dock as well.

yep i'm using that for my first monitor. I have this monitor and some old lovely one which is definitely not anything past 1080:

https://www.amazon.com/LG-28MQ780-B-DualUp-Monitor-DCI-P3/dp/B09XTD5C7H

Honj Steak posted:

I have an M1 for work and an older 2016 Intel one :qq:

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Honj Steak posted:

I didn't even think about that, it's a very good point. For reference, I'm using the Elgato stuff I talked about with a 14" MacBook Pro with an M1 Pro CPU that can output to two external displays.

E:

teen phone cutie posted:

yep i'm using that for my first monitor

I have an M1 for work and an older 2016 Intel one :qq:
Yeah, the M1 laptops can only do a single external screen. M1 Pro does two and M1 Max does three.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Mercurius posted:

Yeah, the M1 laptops can only do a single external screen. M1 Pro does two and M1 Max does three.

M1 Max supports four external displays

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Honj Steak posted:

False. My M2 Max has run up to 3 external displays at once.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Warbird posted:

M1 and M2 (without any following words) have two display outputs. He's right.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Warbird posted:

Your M2 Max isn’t an M2 your and this distinction was clearly addressed in the posts between the one you replied to and the one you stumbled in to made. This was two posts up and the edit was before your stupid comment.

Mercurius posted:

I didn't even think about that, it's a very good point. For reference, I'm using the Elgato stuff I talked about with a 14" MacBook Pro with an M1 Pro CPU that can output to two external displays.

E:

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Grassy Knowles posted:

Your M2 Max isn’t an M2 your and this distinction was clearly addressed in the posts between the one you replied to and the one you stumbled in to made. This was two posts up and the edit was before your stupid comment.

hell yeah thread fight

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Please go take a walk or something Grassy.

SlowBloke posted:

M1 and M2 (without any following words) have two display outputs. He's right.

That’s fair. The naming standard we’re working with here isn’t doing any favors as the collective term for a generation of the CPU is also valid for a specific version of each generation as well. Something something land of contrasts.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"
Sorry if that was a bit much in tone, when people are worried about having to return their $1k+ purchases they made based on scanning thread advice a simple but sure of itself statement reminds me of all the lies my colleagues would say when I was in electronics sales.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

All good friend, I too have worked at a Best Buy and known those specific joys.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
M2 Vanilla

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

~Coxy posted:

M2 Vanilla

M2 Kinky

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

The finest of the flavors

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

M2 Pleb

Warbird
May 23, 2012

M2 Classic

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

Apple release an M3 Vanilla Extract that has no ports, magsafe only charging. Then there will be no confusion about external anything.

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

i would like to ask another question and this time i'd like you all to fight to the death about it

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

teen phone cutie posted:

i would like to ask another question and this time i'd like you all to fight to the death about it

Go on...

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
M2 Air

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Just wait for the M3.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

MarcusSA posted:

Just wait for the M3.

My 2012 mac mini is already so old though... :smith:

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Anyone know if Apple is checking to confirm if you're a student with their current back to school + gift card deal?

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

Mister Facetious posted:

Anyone know if Apple is checking to confirm if you're a student with their current back to school + gift card deal?

Here in the UK you don't need to be a student but you do need to be able to verify yourself via a recognised university email address.

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

why does apple make junk products?

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

teen phone cutie posted:

why does apple make junk products?

Shareholder value must go up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
There has never been a good computer