Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Superrodan posted:

I haven't watched a Doug Walker review in what feels like 10 years maybe but there was a tweet that was posted to the dedicated AVGN thread that I thought was actually a good joke. I still have no plans to go back to watching him, but I'll at least give him a win on this one:
https://twitter.com/ChannelAwesome/status/1683913744881967106

Lmao ok that is funny

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse
Doug has some pretty decent comedic timing and I think if he stuck to short form stuff he would be a lot better. His long stuff just loving drags

Like, the video above is pretty funny but could you imagine if he stretched that out to whatever his typical episode length is?

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
lol the serious melodrama he tried to make after NC ended the first time that he had to end with the twist that the main character was the NC and everyone had to die so he could go back to being the NC to save the company

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

lol the serious melodrama he tried to make after NC ended the first time that he had to end with the twist that the main character was the NC and everyone had to die so he could go back to being the NC to save the company

Lol demoreel. The show that was so bad they retooled it after one episode and then did what you said.

Lady Emily's video on it is a pretty good summary for anyone unfamiliar.

https://youtu.be/DFIlUa6WYuM

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Scorched Spitz posted:

Imagine being the other Welsh singer named Ian Watkins.
Some consolation to be found in the fact that music is a biz where working under an assumed identity is pretty well accepted.

Not a lot of hospitals will hire Dr. gently caress you, who's asking?

fun hater
May 24, 2009

its a neat trick, but you can only do it once

Mix. posted:

Don't worry brutalfoods helps balance it out on the other side

that guy has the exact energy of the effortlessly strange, but not off-putting, guys in high school who are like the a/v dorks or the theater kids who don't act but do the lighting and the sets and poo poo. he has good vibes. i wish he would eat better because the food he consumes is frightful

fun hater
May 24, 2009

brutalfoods ate astronaut ice cream in a vid and thats how i found out my fiances has never had it. they used to sell it at the planetarium in my hometown and we would pool our little kid cash to buy as much as possible to split during field trips lol. its like eating flavorful styrofoam

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

fun hater posted:

that guy has the exact energy of the effortlessly strange, but not off-putting, guys in high school who are like the a/v dorks or the theater kids who don't act but do the lighting and the sets and poo poo. he has good vibes. i wish he would eat better because the food he consumes is frightful

he has truly bizarre tastes in food and I cringe at the things that he loves but Ian is a good egg. his editing is some of the best I've seen for a "eat bullshit on camera" channel.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

He needs to stop bullshitting around and finish Central High

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.

fun hater posted:

brutalfoods ate astronaut ice cream in a vid and thats how i found out my fiances has never had it. they used to sell it at the planetarium in my hometown and we would pool our little kid cash to buy as much as possible to split during field trips lol. its like eating flavorful styrofoam

The funny thing is that "astronaut" ice cream has probably never actually been eaten in space. Its incredibly crumbly nature would be a nightmare in antigravity, since the crumbs would go everywhere, as Adam Ragusea explains:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c97X-wDi2b8

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

gently caress Ragusea

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Superrodan posted:

I haven't watched a Doug Walker review in what feels like 10 years maybe but there was a tweet that was posted to the dedicated AVGN thread that I thought was actually a good joke. I still have no plans to go back to watching him, but I'll at least give him a win on this one:
https://twitter.com/ChannelAwesome/status/1683913744881967106

Extremely begrudging lol

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

fun hater posted:

i dunno how you've missed the parts in all the brutalfoods videos that show him eating actual food from hellofresh meal kits

also like, he's talked about how he's stopped eating poo poo from boxes and cooks for himself the vast majority of the time, except when his fridge died recently

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe

Happy Landfill posted:

Doug has some pretty decent comedic timing and I think if he stuck to short form stuff he would be a lot better. His long stuff just loving drags

Like, the video above is pretty funny but could you imagine if he stretched that out to whatever his typical episode length is?

I seem to recall his reviews pre-Demo Reel were snappier too. I read a comment that compared that era of NC to pre-cancellation Family Guy.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pZ-Sy11mvZU

fun hater
May 24, 2009

Arivia posted:

i dunno how you've missed the parts in all the brutalfoods videos that show him eating actual food from hellofresh meal kits

also like, he's talked about how he's stopped eating poo poo from boxes and cooks for himself the vast majority of the time, except when his fridge died recently

i dont watch sponsored content and also i dont actually care lol

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
https://twitter.com/mrgervaiswrites/status/1692297975576576364

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

That's harsh but fair.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Dawgstar posted:

That's harsh but fair.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Did he get a lot of blowback over his souls video or something?

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i remember there was a time where a bunch of souls streamers would mirror-stream Dark/Demon Souls speedruns during Games Done Quick and would shittalk them and insult the runners' appearance because they were Playing it Wrong

Rampant Dwickery
Nov 12, 2011

Comfy and cozy.
Pretty incredible considering his essay on, you know, all of the FromSoft Soulsborne games was just about as glowing an endorsement as one could get.

But, you know, git gud. :barf:

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Given a chunk of his essay focused on puncturing the overly performative mythologizing of Souls games being the hardest hard games for tru gamers only, I'm not the least bit surprised people responded poorly to his otherwise glowing review of the games.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
This kept popping up in my recommends and I finally got around to watching it and it's FANTASTIC. "How Joseph Anderson broke bugsnax"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QY0E6Zxe3IE&hd=1

Just amazing. "Hey, you guys hear what happened to Joseph Anderson? That guy who made those lovely long-winded youtube videos? Whatever happened to him?"

"Well, he's a Bugsnax speedrunner now."

"...oh"

Just great editing. And I'm a sucker for hall of the mountain king used in glitch videos as things go progressively more off the rails. I've not seen much of JA but I feel like he's way better at streaming than youtube videos

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
The thing that came out from JA's streams is that he's actually an insane person who will bash his head against a game for hours because he thinks he's found a way to break it, and the result is that often times he does end up finding wild glitches and speedrun tech. He utterly broke Jedi Fallen Order and Survivor, in Survivor's case to the point where he busted the game so bad he managed to make the game play the place holder dev notes for a cutscene instead of the actual cutscene itself.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!
That's a bit harsh. His video on Fallout 4 is my preferred method of experiencing that game.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Rampant Dwickery posted:

Pretty incredible considering his essay on, you know, all of the FromSoft Soulsborne games was just about as glowing an endorsement as one could get.

But, you know, git gud. :barf:

That video was so good and neatly explained why Fromsoft games rule.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

I don't blame him in the least. But it's a shame because I enjoy his videos, especially the souls video, a lot and would have loved to see one on the whole armored core franchise. Truly dark souls critique is the dark souls of video game critique.

Clerical Terrors
Apr 24, 2016

I'm so tired, I'm so very tired

He's right and he should say it.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

I love Noahs work and he seems like a good dude so I support this stance

Clerical Terrors
Apr 24, 2016

I hope Fromsoft never makes a souls game again, just to spite these people.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Clerical Terrors posted:

I hope Fromsoft never makes a souls game again, just to spite these people.

I actually hope they make more but make them easier and more engaging for everyone except the hardcore crowd. Like, make invasions opt-out even if you're playing online and watch the entire fanbase just melt down :getin:

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Souls immensely ftw

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

I'm gonna be real I haven't watched that dude's videos at all but those tweets do not make him come off well lol

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Saagonsa posted:

I'm gonna be real I haven't watched that dude's videos at all but those tweets do not make him come off well lol

:goofy:

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Nuebot posted:

I actually hope they make more but make them easier and more engaging for everyone except the hardcore crowd. Like, make invasions opt-out even if you're playing online and watch the entire fanbase just melt down :getin:

The equivalent of SF6's Modern controls but for Souls.

Clerical Terrors
Apr 24, 2016

Dawgstar posted:

I think you mean WOKE controls.

Idiootti
Apr 11, 2012

Gaius Marius posted:

gently caress Ragusea

Why

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Saagonsa posted:

He's normally a very chill dude and his souls video started with him going "people complain about the difficulty but I'm bad at games and you just put your points into these skills and it's easy". And then talked about how great the games are and how much fun he had with them. If he still had shitheads banging down his door yelling GIT GUD then his frustration is entirely fair.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

Dawgstar posted:

Turns Souls combat into a turn-based system