Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

it's not the first game to do this, others have done the same thing but with bars you fill up or whatever. this is just the first to do it with the numbers exposed, which i guess might make people think about the options differently (like stat distribution in a game)

every game that's done something similar though has had weird and bad assigned values for both hardware performance and the impact of different options, so hopefully they do it better.

Rdr2 pc had an x/y gb of vram bar and numerical readout that changed as you tweaked options. Didn't mention the cpu tho.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Showing VRAM allocation is pretty common. Most Ubisoft games have it.

Bloopsy
Jun 1, 2006

you have been visited by the Tasty Garlic Bread. you will be blessed by having good Garlic Bread in your life time, but only if you comment "ty garlic bread" in the thread below
GTA V as well. It’s the reason why I upgraded my 1060 3gb to the 6gb model.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Jesus christ seeing that weird looking kid on screen for half a tick before the video started then hearing the voice was a bit of a mind gently caress.

That's one dude who really, really, grew into his face in his 30s. It goes beyond just the hair.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

ya i was checking their old old stuff and you can see the turning point from young steve to current steve around here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G3NQ6-OlSL0

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

https://twitter.com/PCGamesN/status/1692471572534104233?s=20

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

So only part of the preload is encrypted?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

FlamingLiberal posted:

I've heard people say that Immortals Fenyx Rising was decent. But that game's planned sequel has since been cancelled.

Immortals Fenyx Rising is the Zelda alternative for people who hate weapon durability

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Rinkles posted:

So only part of the preload is encrypted?

could be that the files are encrypted individually so you can see the filenames, which would be enough to see that nvngx_dlss.dll and the XeSS equivalent aren't there

curious to see if there's any residual references to either in the decrypted executable since that one guy on linkedin posted about doing RTX integration for the game

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Weird there’s also no signs of me buying any product AMD makes in the next decade. It’s weird how those two things are going to be just so very connected to each other.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

spunkshui posted:

Weird there’s also no signs of me buying any product AMD makes in the next decade. It’s weird how those two things are going to be just so very connected to each other.

You are missing out on the Steam Deck, tbh.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Kibner posted:

I had to use one as a desktop replacement for about 5 months, I wouldn't exactly call it missing out.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Kibner posted:

there are versions of the GPD Win Max line of handhelds that use Intel CPUs/iGPUS :cheersdoge:

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Kibner posted:

I don’t play games out of the house, im a parent not a kid stuck in the back of a car.

The last thing I’m thinking about when I’m chilling on my gaming rig is how much I wish my screen was like 1/5 the size with a shittier refresh rate and a much worse gpu.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

spunkshui posted:

I don’t play games out of the house, im a parent not a kid stuck in the back of a car.

The last thing I’m thinking about when I’m chilling on my gaming rig is how much I wish my screen was like 1/5 the size with a shittier refresh rate and a much worse gpu.

You say that till you try one.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

gradenko_2000 posted:

there are versions of the GPD Win Max line of handhelds that use Intel CPUs/iGPUS :cheersdoge:

Yeah, and the experience of using them sucks in comparison.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

ijyt posted:

I had to use one as a desktop replacement for about 5 months, I wouldn't exactly call it missing out.

That seems like a really stupid use of a Steam Deck.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

spunkshui posted:

Lol

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Lockback posted:

That seems like a really stupid use of a Steam Deck.

"desktop replacement" sounds like their desktop broke and they had to use it in the meantime as a substitute

change my name
Aug 27, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

spunkshui posted:

Sorry but the Deck/Ally rule, I have a gaming rig and playing Spider-Man on the couch on a handheld is great

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack

spunkshui posted:

I’m actually with this guy. I don’t want a handheld. It is absolutely not a product I have any interest in. I’m sure it’s lovely but I don’t want one and I wouldn’t use it if I had one.

Every good thing doesn’t have to be liked and wanted by every person.

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

I think it depends on how nice your home set up is.

Like the school I work at purchased me a really expensive laptop with a GPU and I put overwatch on it. It runs great and the kids during lunch we’re talking about how it’s so much better than their home set up.

Meanwhile to me it it’s like playing on literal garbage with the poo poo keyboard, and poo poo screen, the poo poo graphics card, and I would never consider using it.

Granted, those are fast action first person shooters. Im sure BG3 is better, but id rather have that on the big screen tv anyway.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

gradenko_2000 posted:

"desktop replacement" sounds like their desktop broke and they had to use it in the meantime as a substitute

It was this, unfortunately.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
I have a desktop with a much better screen and like 50x the power but, when I'm winding down for the night, or when I'm bored at the dealership or wherever waiting for my car to get tires replaced, or in the airport, or any other manner of places or situations, the Steam Deck is just lovely to use.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

He looks like SBF

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Handhelds are cool. If they're not your thing, cool but they aren't just for "Kids in their parent's back seat".

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

handhelds are cool but everything after the 3DS got too big to carry around conveniently

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

repiv posted:

handhelds are cool but everything after the 3DS got too big to carry around conveniently

I can agree with this.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

DF followed up on BG3s more demanding lategame areas

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e5xe0cy_cAE

change my name
Aug 27, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

repiv posted:

Disagree, I could throw my Switch Lite in my coat pocket and would play on the train

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Kibner posted:

I have a desktop with a much better screen and like 50x the power but, when I'm winding down for the night, or when I'm bored at the dealership or wherever waiting for my car to get tires replaced, or in the airport, or any other manner of places or situations, the Steam Deck is just lovely to use.

I would much rather stream my desktop to my phone with Moonlight / Parsec. I played Magic Arena before it was released on phones that way. If you have the pocket space for a Switch/Deck then you could probably carry a bluetooth gamepad that clips a phone in. If you're on wifi somewhere the latency can be nearly imperceptible on fancier games too. Most importantly the phone can still last for hours since streaming is quite efficient.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

change my name posted:

Disagree, I could throw my Switch Lite in my coat pocket and would play on the train

true the switch lite isn't too bad, but that comes with the caveat of needing to buy and juggle a second switch to play on the TV because nintendo left out the video mux to save $2

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Zero VGS posted:

I would much rather stream my desktop to my phone with Moonlight / Parsec. I played Magic Arena before it was released on phones that way. If you have the pocket space for a Switch/Deck then you could probably carry a bluetooth gamepad that clips a phone in. If you're on wifi somewhere the latency can be nearly imperceptible on fancier games too. Most importantly the phone can still last for hours since streaming is quite efficient.

You can also do that with the Steam Deck. My gf does it all the time with hers.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
The whole "paying companies to not use DLSS or RTX" thing is such a perversion on all sides. I am curious though; how much money is AMD paying for something like Starfield to adopt this model? Do we know anything about how these agreements work, or is that all still behind closed doors?

There has to be a major incentive here of some type because it is a huge net loss in goodwill from everyone but, what? The people who genuinely laugh at the thought of Nvidia users not getting their toys? I'm sure the 12 children who really think like that are thrilled...?

The market dynamics of denying key features to like 85% of pc gamers because someone with 10% of the market paid you to is just so bizarre. The closest analogy is Sony paying for exclusives, but this... isn't that. It's basically forcing a subpar experience on the vast majority of the PC player base - especially on financially disadvantaged gamers, for the record, who benefit greatly from DLSS and in many cases need it to achieve playable frames.

Who is this a win for? I am genuinely so curious.

It's like... fuckin'.... reverse anti-trust or something??? It has all the hallmarks of what would be considered anti-trust, but inverted from the bottom up instead of top down. We should be celebrating AMD wins because their wins are a win for the industry; the more market share they can claw, the more Nvidia has to, for example, give a poo poo about how they price things. But we can't, because it's petty, myopic and anti-consumer. What a world.

Taima fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Aug 18, 2023

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
Being stuck with power-drinking heat-making GBS threads intel CPUs because your favorite temporal upscaler is not in some vidya games is a spicy take

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
Are you sure it's not Bethesda just being incompetent? Its Bethesda after all.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

I think I like the idea of portable gaming more than I actually like portable gaming.

:(

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Taima posted:

Do we know anything about how these agreements work, or is that all still behind closed doors?

it's all behind closed doors and AMD never did follow up on their "no comment" responses back when this was initially noticed

devs obviously aren't allowed to talk about it either but the developers of Boundary admitted that DLSS being removed after they had already implemented it was due to "partner agreements"

it's quite likely that starfield also had DLSS at some point in development and it was pulled once they decided to partner with AMD (the game has no RT so "RTX" probably means DLSS)

repiv fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Aug 18, 2023

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

This is pretty neat

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5hAy5V91Hr4&t=1s

And it's simple to customize. I can't find a way to show per core CPU utilization, but this is a beta that just released.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Taima posted:

The whole "paying companies to not use DLSS or RTX" thing is such a perversion on all sides. I am curious though; how much money is AMD paying for something like Starfield to adopt this model? Do we know anything about how these agreements work, or is that all still behind closed doors?

There has to be a major incentive here of some type because it is a huge net loss in goodwill from everyone but, what? The people who genuinely laugh at the thought of Nvidia users not getting their toys? I'm sure the 12 children who really think like that are thrilled...?

The market dynamics of denying key features to like 85% of pc gamers because someone with 10% of the market paid you to is just so bizarre. The closest analogy is Sony paying for exclusives, but this... isn't that. It's basically forcing a subpar experience on the vast majority of the PC player base - especially on financially disadvantaged gamers, for the record, who benefit greatly from DLSS and in many cases need it to achieve playable frames.

Who is this a win for? I am genuinely so curious.

I'm legit mad they even considered this is an idea let alone went through with it.

I hope their GPU department fails even harder because I would literally rather have 1 GPU company if the other one is going to do poo poo like this when they cant make a better product.

They are paying money to make your hardware work worse because they suck at making hardware.

gently caress AMD