Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

Internet Explorer posted:

A coworker swears by them. If you search for the forums for "nreal" as they just got rebranded "xreal," you might find some takes.

People seem to love the poo poo out of them in the steam deck thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Bonus content for Clam...

An ex-lizard

left on mom's bed by this vicious murder machine

Her name is Little Girl. Mom may be running out of good names for cats.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Thought you guys might like this, sorry for the slight politics derail

https://twitter.com/justinbaragona/status/1692240487988535348?t=JFAA_F7NEYwgZwcjsb76IQ&s=19

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

everyones phone can be a wifi access point now Mike, expect hundreds of "gently caress mike lindel" wifi names.

e: app idea, no one steal it.

jaegerx fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Aug 18, 2023

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
Mike Lindell is a crackhead. I was dying at his expert presenting PCAPs with nothing in them at all at his stolen election conference like wow bud look at that. Something is doing DNS queries. Can you imagine?? Must be a conspiracy

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Mine is double NATed; “Where The Wild Pings Are” and “NAT Your Average Wifi”

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Diqnol posted:

Mine is double NATed; “Where The Wild Pings Are” and “NAT Your Average Wifi”

I would routinely change mine to say "apt #blah, i can hear you having sex", "apt #blah can you shut your husband up" etc.. when i was living in apartments. They building manager had to send out a email about it.

I was never caught.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
who the gently caress looks at wifi names more than once? my phone knows where the internet is, no longer my problem

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Honestly I'm sort of upset that I'm not getting in on this obvious grift of selling him raspberry pi's with an antenna for $2,000 a piece

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Thanks Ants posted:

Two IT guys, three opinions

This plays out like clockwork during our weekly campus IT staff meeting. Five solutions to one simple problem and everybody on the call has to pontificate why their method is the best.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Vargatron posted:

This plays out like clockwork during our weekly campus IT staff meeting. Five solutions to one simple problem and everybody on the call has to pontificate why their method is the best.

I'm experiencing the opposite end at the moment. No one wants to speak up and state their opinion of "why we should go route A". Instead everyone is wishy washy and afraid to commit. poo poo drives me up a wall. Just choose and lets go.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

tokin opposition posted:

who the gently caress looks at wifi names more than once? my phone knows where the internet is, no longer my problem

Easy - have friends.

Invite friends over. They go to connect to your wifi, and go "yo, there's a wifi named "apartment 307 shut the gently caress up" what's up with that?"

Eventually your friends might bring a new boyfriend, girlfriend, or other friends around. Rinse & repeat.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Fun fact: In college I worked with someone, and am still Facebook friends with him, who married Mike Lindell's daughter. So sometimes I'll see completely anodyne photos of grandpa Lindell playing with his grand kids or whatever.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
Oh, gross. You use Facebook?

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Somebody wants an engineering grade laptop but wants it to weigh less than 4 pounds. Like, it's not possible to go lighter without making a concession. I've tried explaining this to them repeatedly.

Cenodoxus
Mar 29, 2012

while [[ true ]] ; do
    pour()
done

Vargatron posted:

Somebody wants an engineering grade laptop but wants it to weigh less than 4 pounds. Like, it's not possible to go lighter without making a concession. I've tried explaining this to them repeatedly.

Give them one without the battery, then when they ask why it won't turn on, tell them they also need the optional "portable power pack" add-on if they don't want to be tethered to a wall.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Vargatron posted:

What are they looking for? There's several options if they're OK with a 14" form factor. Thinkpad P series, Dell Precision, 14" MacBook Pro, all can come in at the 4 pound mark or under depending on options.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Does "engineering grade" mean ruggedised or does it mean something to run CAD on?

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Probably told this one before but a VP at a now gone retailer wanted a super powerful laptop…for spreadsheets. So my boss told me to spec out a maxed out Alienware.

The director then ended up with a more portable ultra-light, and the Alienware sat on his desk as his dedicated Remote Desktop for when he traveled, which was a lot.

Still have the mousepad that came in the box.

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

So I've got a very high paying for the area deskside it job, the catch is that I'm basically got everyone at atleast VP Level or above as my client base. Any tips on how to be an Executive babysitter other then making sure to get in the good graces of the Executive Assistants quickly?

Vargatron posted:

Thinkpad X1 Carbon, its not cheap and the battery life is kinda lovely but its remarkably good and powerful for how light it is.

LionYeti fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Aug 18, 2023

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

Carry around little baggies of cocaine and throw them at them when they get cranky

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

LionYeti posted:

So I've got a very high paying for the area deskside it job, the catch is that I'm basically got everyone at atleast VP Level or above as my client base. Any tips on how to be an Executive babysitter other then making sure to get in the good graces of the Executive Assistants quickly?

executives have the attention span of a goldfish
don't ever say no, just say "I'll look into it"
some executives really like small talk and others hate it, figure out which quick and model your attitude appropriately

if you're good at masking you'll do great, you'll have to switch between at least three multiple times a day

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

when i talked about hydroponics my CEO warmly talked about her dad "growing tomatoes" that way in the 70s so my suggestion is to only work for older lesbians at nonprofits

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Normally I'd give the user a break because the whole "new Outlook" thing is a bunch of loving poo poo that Microsoft is pulling, but this user is especially dumb and stupid, so it's just par for the fuckin course that he's complaining about being on the old version of Outlook...

....in the new version of Outlook (edit: apparently this is actually the built in "Outlook" they put in as a replacement for the Mail app, not I guess the actual new Outlook though that's also a pile of crap in my limited testing).

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

The trenches of IT can scar a muppet for life
My mail app at home has been updated to the new “outlook” that isn’t the “new” outlook but I thought it wasn’t suppose to be until 2024 so who the hell knows.

Soylent Majority
Jul 13, 2020

Dune 2: Chicks At The Same Time

LionYeti posted:

Thinkpad X1 Carbon, its not cheap and the battery life is kinda lovely but its remarkably good and powerful for how light it is.

Executive computer janitoring is a unique niche. Understand the hierarchies and who really matters vs who talks like they do. Be a human being, talk to folks a bit, especially admins and if you can actually retain some of what they tell you - pets, kids, hobbies etc. be able to talk to them while you’re working on fixing their outlook whatever issue. If your cxo is a big Yankees fan try to keep up just a little on baseball etc.

Controversial but… white glove users don’t do tickets, don’t try to push that rope. If it’s useful to you to make tickets to track poo poo do it behind the scenes and limit the excess email the users receive.

Admins can help you do your job and can make your job harder, make friends with them early and often. Also they work harder than you, give them the slack they need while you cya - I just closed a case with ms that I kept open for 3 months because the exec admin wouldn’t give time to collect the logs they needed - no pressure on the user but just regular check ins to see if I could set up time makes sure I’m not the reason something isn’t done, showed the user I cared about their issue even if she eventually decided it wasn’t worth loving with it any longer.

Understand the average desk side level of competence/personality/hygiene - it’s not hard to stand above the pack there by just being a functioning adult who can socialize just a bit.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

Start golfing. Not even bullshitting. Hit the course with a few execs and next thing you know you’re a director or something

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

I really loving hate that executives get special treatment. It's super gross

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

johnny park posted:

yeah this. I make a point to treat all tickets by actual severity to business needs* rather than who sends them in; it works because my coworker is a toady for anyone with manager or chief in the title who hops on their tickets immediately.

* And by any real metric it's always the people getting paid the least that actually do the stuff that matters for the place to still exist

Soylent Majority
Jul 13, 2020

johnny park posted:

I get what you’re saying - being a communist in this role is… discordant at times

Eh, different systems get different slas for similar reasons - if the CFOs unable to get online to approve paying xyz bill the impact is greater than if an intern can’t get internet.

Helps a bit that the cio at least pays lip service to dogfooding so he tries to feel the pain of the masses from time to time

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

LionYeti posted:

Go the extra mile, and make people feel good even if you think the request is inane.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

Execs getting special treatment to the extent of having people assigned to them is an extremely industry to industry thing. The higher someone is in the hierarchy there’s always going to be some additional pressure but having specially assigned help desk people generally is reserved for the verticals overflowing with douchebags and money

Soylent Majority
Jul 13, 2020

i am a moron posted:

Execs getting special treatment to the extent of having people assigned to them is an extremely industry to industry thing. The higher someone is in the hierarchy there’s always going to be some additional pressure but having specially assigned help desk people generally is reserved for the verticals overflowing with douchebags and money

I think any place once you get to a large enough org you’re gonna get execCJ roles. If you can afford it it’s way better experience for these exec users to have dedicated personnel - the relationship building you get with them is the real value. They know me, and trust me - they aren’t worried I’m going to waste their time or blab about the poo poo I see open on their pc when I’m working on stuff etc. not that anyone would ever share passwords but… they have more comfort and flexibility with someone they’ve known for years. segregation of access to their machines is worthwhile too, if any tech can hit the admin share on the cxo laptop or can reset their sso creds you’re asking for a disgruntled worker to stir poo poo up so it’s best to lock them down to only a few trusted people

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

Sometimes yes, sometimes no. It seems like a slam dunk at banks. Retail I haven’t seen it, even at fuckoff huge orgs. Insurance yes at a certain scale, no at midmarket levels. Never seen it in manufacturing. The companies I actually work for would laugh at the idea of paying someone for that.

Soylent Majority
Jul 13, 2020

Idk I’ve only done this for a couple fortune 250+ so that’s what I’m thinking as “big enough”

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Y’all are not thinking of the really worse case. When it’s their admin making tickets for the c levels so you have to help them instead of the c level and you never get any recognition for it.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

I’m talking about orgs that run the gamut from 2k employees and private to places that have 500k employees and are inside the F10. It’s not like I know their CEOs and the entire org so maybe at some level it happens, but I’ve worked with divisional CIOs and executive VPs at corporate HQs that aren’t getting their every needed tended to by specially assigned help desk people :shrug: Ive seen it at banks a lot though. A lot a lot.

Edit: I lied, the one I was thinking about is inside the fortune 25

i am a moron fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Aug 18, 2023

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
I agree that it seems kind of gross to have special computer touchers for execs. But the reason this happens is because the helpdesk is deemed inadequate to the task. It may be instructive to ask why people don't trust your helpdesk.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

They're somewhat popular at law firms as well. Big Law, anyways. A lot of my efforts at law firms were turning around the perception of the "helpless desk."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Anyone going to VMware Explore?