Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: harrygomm, Astryl)

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.
Diablo 4 is not an ARPG. Diablo 4 is a dumpster diving simulator.

You go into the nightmare dumpster, you sweep trash out of the way, if you don't pay enough attention to the affixes you get a super annoying one like space triangle or backtracking lightning bolt or death pulse. But most of the dumpsters are truly just trash, so you have to memorize or look up which dumpsters are less bad, which is more work. So you really should be looking at name, level, and the affixes. Once you go through your dumpster, you'll have a pile of stuff, and you have to look through it. 95% of the time it's straight garbage. 4.9% of the time it's nearly not garbage, and you'll get slightly excited, only to find that it's not actually a good affix because it's the conditional version of the affix. Don't worry the numbers are similar, you can have 5% critical strike chance or 8% critical strike chance vs injured enemies, but they helpfully have the conditions last, and you're skimming, so it's quite easy to ignore them and go wow 3 good affixes this is an actual upgrade. This is much like the experience of sifting through a dumpster, seeing something potentially valuable, pulling it out from the heap of trash only to find that the corner is covered in dog vomit.

There are so many ways they could make dealing with the NMDs and loot less of a slog, just through basic UI improvements, but no. In a game about killing hordes of demons and grabbing exciting loot, actually looking at your item drops is a huge chore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

American McGay posted:

muh xp nerfs...

Skill issue

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Level 49.5 and I just got the horse.

What’s the command to see your time played? /played didn’t work.

I am sure mine is going to be horrid.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

MarcusSA posted:

Press Alt + F4 to open the gameplay stats window. I don't know how to do this on a console.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Leveling glyphs is loving tedious

You'll probably be done leveling glyphs before your character if you focus on the ones you use. It's just another thing to progress, not something you need to go out of your way to grind.

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

And some of the dungeon affixes are just plain not loving fun. Having the red artichoke chase me around is just annoying as hell. If I get a paragon point, I can’t even take 10 secs to figure out where to put it because whoopisies, I exploded. gently caress that stupid “get in the bubble every 15 secs” one too.

Just don't play the dungeon affixes that aren't fun, more sigils drop than you will need. Blizzard can apparently take the hint since they got rid of affixes like resource burn that everyone hated, but there are still some that are usually worth immediately tossing like vulnerable or critical resist.

AreWeDrunkYet fucked around with this message at 11:50 on Aug 18, 2023

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
This is pretty good:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WHQS309MEMk&t=208s

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

If this is supposed to be the casual dad's ARPG for regular jerkoffs, the nightmare affixes that follow you around and kill your character if you step away for a minute to change a diaper or whatever don't really make sense

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Seconding that I want to clear a room and look at my stuff or get out of my chair. You can portal out at least but I've never really enjoyed the chaser mods.

Lightning and shadow/daze are really obnoxious on any boss that doesn't regularly charge you. S2 I am definitely trying to avoid pure melee, even though my current desire is poison werewolf.

notwithyourheart
Dec 27, 2013

all video games should pause when you hit escape with no exceptions

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man
The big stompy spacepoop and the domespawning dreamcatcher are definitely some of the worst design in the game, competing for some of the worst design in the genre. You have to deal with it for the entire map, and it's entire purpose is to slow the game down by forcing you to go stand in a spot, or not go stand in a spot. The weird chasing ghost isn't as bad because at least when you dodge it once there won't be another for like 10 seconds or something, but the stupid spacepoop just keeps on stomping. Worst of all is if you're optimized for close range and you want to kill a boss with this loving this bouncing around like Peppa Pig in a puddle.

Snorri
Apr 23, 2002

Hra Mormo posted:

big stompy spacepoop

Using this from now on.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Hra Mormo posted:

The big stompy spacepoop and the domespawning dreamcatcher are definitely some of the worst design in the game, competing for some of the worst design in the genre. You have to deal with it for the entire map, and it's entire purpose is to slow the game down by forcing you to go stand in a spot, or not go stand in a spot. The weird chasing ghost isn't as bad because at least when you dodge it once there won't be another for like 10 seconds or something, but the stupid spacepoop just keeps on stomping. Worst of all is if you're optimized for close range and you want to kill a boss with this loving this bouncing around like Peppa Pig in a puddle.

the chasing ghost was really annoying for me because the daze pool loves to camp near objectives so I have to sit and wait for it to go away before I can progress

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

The lightning strike thing is annoying but on my sorc I can just pop a shield and tank the hit

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Tiny Timbs posted:

The lightning strike thing is annoying but on my sorc I can just pop a shield and tank the hit

I was so used to tanking it when I was playing pulv druid as I usually had bulwark up, but now that I've moved to werenado and am doing higher dungeons (~50) my habit of just ignoring the warning sound has gotten me killed a few times lol

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

yeah the lightning strike hits for like 1/8 of my health as a thorns barb. it would totally suck if I had to stop and wait for that poo poo

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

Shrimp or Shrimps posted:

I was so used to tanking it when I was playing pulv druid as I usually had bulwark up, but now that I've moved to werenado and am doing higher dungeons (~50) my habit of just ignoring the warning sound has gotten me killed a few times lol

Tanking lightning strikes is the #1 progression consideration for my builds. Once they do >50% or so damage, I stop climbimb NMDs or look for more defensive gear :v:

It literally caused me to drop Mad Wolf's Glee and use a 4x defensive chestpiece in my 90s, since even relatively near level NMDs were zapping my poor wolf buddy too hard.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Vic posted:

Press Alt + F4 to open the gameplay stats window. I don't know how to do this on a console.

Hoho

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Fun watch

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
lightning was annoying as glass cannon bone spear necro but now i just :gas: and ignore it

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

yeah I watched most of this and uhhhhhh what the gently caress blizzard

ixo
Sep 8, 2004

m'bloaty

Fun Shoe

ixo posted:

someone come help me beat Uber lilith, I’m too bad at this game to solo her. I can almost always get her to phase 2, and I can crit her for up to 200 million, but blood blorp part of phase 2 hard stops me every single time. #girthbrooks11153

sorry to keep you all waiting, I know you've been sweaty and anxious thinking about it

Dr. Eldarion
Mar 21, 2001

Deal Dispatcher

Successfully did a tier 100 NMD! Mostly smooth, got lucky that the only suppressor elite was right after I picked up a blast wave shrine. Almost everything that dropped was crap, which I guess is probably to be expected, but still disappointing for fighting enemies literally 55 levels higher than me. I did get a chest armor upgrade, though - dropped with three DR affixes. I then promptly bankrupted myself trying to roll a fourth - didn't get it, but did get a high roll + max life, so it wasn't a total waste.

I'm curious, are there people regularly running tier 100s smoothly? I feel like I'm pretty powerful but it took me a full half hour to get through this one and I was on my last life by the end.

harrygomm
Oct 19, 2004

can u run n jump?

MarcusSA posted:

external website only stuff right now as far as i know, d4armory.io

Hra Mormo posted:

with the red lightning slam thing i find that if i dodge through its wind up animation, it does both of its slams in the same place and then had the cooldown before it moves again. makes it a lot like the chasing ghost thing imo, i consider it a pretty nothing affix. i still scrap lightning dome though, been caught w/o cooldowns before

ixo posted:

sorry to keep you all waiting, I know you've been sweaty and anxious thinking about it

grats, mendelen ring build?

ixo
Sep 8, 2004

m'bloaty

Fun Shoe
yea mendeln. I kinda want to try out a pvp sever build now, but I'm honestly not sure the pvp zone has many mans in it these days to fight

harrygomm
Oct 19, 2004

can u run n jump?

ex post facho posted:

yeah I watched most of this and uhhhhhh what the gently caress blizzard

“what happened blizzard; blizzard will never be whole again”

i’m not going to do a point by point or anything for the video, but i can mostly only see it as an entertainment product akin to the crowbcat videos where you take the thing you like and put it in the best light and then take the thing you don’t like and make it look as bad as you can

stuff like microtransaction costs, yeah out of hand. stuff where it’sa comparison of a low level butcher fight vs a mid level fight against some similar kind of poe fight? maybe at least try not walking into attacks or kiting in the butcher like you do on the other guy if you want it to be a comparison

like some previous posters might say, skill issue explains most of this. also lol at using asmongold as a reinforcement for your points

e: also to be clear i’m not trying to defend the difference between the games as one good or bad vs the other. i grabbed poe on console, going to see if it’s something i want to add into rotation

harrygomm fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Aug 18, 2023

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

yeah I don't think you're really supposed to be able to kill the butcher at level ten

that being said, the equivalent fight they showed in PoE is not "mid level," it is the act 1 boss

also I won't recommend PoE on console, but in the last league a completely new player posted their saga of playing it on console in the PoE thread and did very well so ymmv

hawowanlawow fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Aug 18, 2023

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

I do think the Butcher is a wasted opportunity when he shows up so low that your build can't possibly be solid. There is a bit of merit to having him stomp your poo poo(except on HC) or forcing you to run so you have a rival to look forward to besting, it felt great to lose to him 20-40 then start kicking his rear end from 50+. The sub 20 encounters are just "Oh, rip."

Speked
Dec 13, 2011

LTA Represent !!

harrygomm posted:

i think it’s the logged in view at https://d4armory.io

I should not have done this, I spent waaay to many hours.

Dr. Eldarion
Mar 21, 2001

Deal Dispatcher

hawowanlawow posted:

also I won't recommend PoE on console, but in the last league a completely new player posted their saga of playing it on console in the PoE thread and did very well so ymmv

I had a huge amount of fun as a brand new player with the PS4 version a few years ago, and did pretty well including killing Shaper and Uber Atziri. Granted I did put in like 250+ hours and got lucky with a mirror drop so I had effectively infinite currency to play with.

Dr. Eldarion fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Aug 18, 2023

Dr. Eldarion
Mar 21, 2001

Deal Dispatcher

... and holy poo poo Uber Lilith is destroying me. I'm doing decent damage and not getting hit too hard by most of her attacks, but those 1-hit spike kills are so hard to avoid. Is there any real method to survive those other than getting better at dodging? As a rogue, I don't think I have any way to get invulnerability to tank them.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

As I understand it, the only real option is to accept you will need to maneuver and lean into more DPS over DR.

harrygomm
Oct 19, 2004

can u run n jump?

hawowanlawow posted:

yeah I don't think you're really supposed to be able to kill the butcher at level ten

that being said, the equivalent fight they showed in PoE is not "mid level," it is the act 1 boss

oh i thought i saw the poe clip was off s level 20 or so character with multiple abilities vs the level 10 butcher fight where i think they had 1 attack and a shout. i could be very wrong i was not paying full attention

also i don’t die to the butcher any more barring nmd100 or whatever, but that comes with experience fighting him a lot of times. i wonder if i’ll die to that act 1 boss the same way as they did to the butcher

harrygomm
Oct 19, 2004

can u run n jump?

Dr. Eldarion posted:

... and holy poo poo Uber Lilith is destroying me. I'm doing decent damage and not getting hit too hard by most of her attacks, but those 1-hit spike kills are so hard to avoid. Is there any real method to survive those other than getting better at dodging? As a rogue, I don't think I have any way to get invulnerability to tank them.

learning the hitboxes can help (mostly frontliaded, you can kind of stand in the back half of the s pikes) but mostly you want to stand near the edges. when you see the animation or ground effect, cross the circle to the other edge. with enough move speed, you can just run straight across. otherwise you’ll need to add a dodge or a move speed ability. even then it doesn’t always work, sometimes she can put the spikes in a place where you cannot dodge, especially when she does the circle slam + triangle pattern. then you have to learn where the spikes are heading so you can dodge between them

ixo
Sep 8, 2004

m'bloaty

Fun Shoe

Dr. Eldarion posted:

when she flies away prepping to drop some spikes, stand near the edge of the circle. that will bias the center of the spikes towards that side of the zone, which depending on the pattern will leave a safe zone on the opposite side from where you were standing. if it’s one of the patterns where there are 3 waves in a straight line, you can dodge straight down the middle towards lilith and get behind the center spikes before they drop. if it’s the triangle pattern, standing to the side usually means there will be a large safe spot on the opposite side. it’s possible to dodge back and forth through the waves, but there’s zero room for error. the hitbox on the spikes is a bit further forward than the graphic indicates, so you’ll die slightly sooner than you expect but be safe behind the spikes slightly sooner than you expect as well.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Got a barber last night! My damage immediately quintupled. A damage graph on any boss would look hilarious though, because I've also got the +crit, -regular damage orb equipped. So a boss' health meter will not really move for an awkward few seconds and then they'll just immediately explode.

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

look mother look at ME MOTHER MOTHER I AM A HOMESTIXK NOW

**methodically removes and eats own clothes*

harrygomm posted:

like some previous posters might say, skill issue explains most of this.

this is the arpg for casuals just checking out the genre for the first time. there's one fight in the entire game that is challenging. the video also shows the butcher fight again at 16, and 27 or something like that. it's the same boring poo poo each time, which is the point, not that they died to it. butcher has less abilities than pudge from dota

hawowanlawow posted:

killing the butcher this early should be easier at this level, considering at that level you just maxed out your core skill.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
I like the dueling narratives that Diablo is only for & also inaccessible to 'Casuals' :laugh:

Anyway what's up with world bosses spawning LESS often on friday? That is the opposite of how it should work!!

denereal visease
Nov 27, 2002

"Research your own experience. Absorb what is useful, reject what is useless, add what is essentially your own."

ixo posted:

thank the lard

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Tonetta posted:

killing the butcher this early should be easier at this level, considering at that level you just maxed out your core skill.

what

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Tonetta posted:

this is the arpg for casuals just checking out the genre for the first time. there's one fight in the entire game that is challenging. the video also shows the butcher fight again at 16, and 27 or something like that. it's the same boring poo poo each time, which is the point, not that they died to it. butcher has less abilities than pudge from dota

It's not about abilities, The Butcher is a flat stat check. If you don't have sustain and synergies online because you didn't toss 10+ aspects onto a level 10 then he usually deletes new characters. A lot of builds don't even feel fluid until 50+.