Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Tulalip Tulips posted:

The last time this happened was before me and it got out a head who wanted to fully privatize child welfare so there's a lot of unknowns.

:staredog: uhhh…I don’t even know how that would work. Besides very poorly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

harperdc posted:

:staredog: uhhh…I don’t even know how that would work. Besides very poorly.

Turn it over to private, mostly Christian, adoption agencies. You know the ones currently stealing children at our southern border and charging (mostly well meaning) people tens of thousands of dollars to adopt children forcibly separated from their parents, would be my guess.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

swickles posted:

So just spent the last half hour catching a bat in our house, so thats a new one for me.

I've obtained footage of this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9lXfu6jLDw

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

I'm up bright and early watching Day 1 of the live stream of the World Pipe Band Championships from Glasgow, Scotland. So glad I have wireless headphones to hear everything without disturbing the neighbors.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

I'm up bright and early watching Day 1 of the live stream of the World Pipe Band Championships from Glasgow, Scotland. So glad I have wireless headphones to hear everything without disturbing the neighbors.

I can’t imagine that doing anything but blowing out your headphones lol.

I had a couple friends in high school who played bagpipes, it’s close to racing cars running straight pipes in that “feel it in your chest” regard.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

I didn't understand the appeal of bagpipes until I heard a chorus of them accompanied by drums at the highland games in Scotland and goddamn I could run through a brick wall to that :hellyeah:

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Well, check out the world's best bands. Just coming on now is a band I used to play in until I got kicked out: https://vimeo.com/838253880

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

a neat cape posted:

It's going to be bad. The California deserts don't have the infrastructure to drain the water properly so its just going to sit on the surface

Now us Southerners finally get to be as smug about rain infrastructure as Northerners are about snow infrastructure everytime we get like a half-inch flurry and poo poo shuts down

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Grittybeard posted:

Um...how disconnected to you have to be to arrive at this conclusion? This is like a horse sense thing it seems.

Air Skwirl posted:

This is a surprisingly common theory among administrative types I have no explanation for.

Yuuuup.

We have a similar crisis with pay.

When I started, promotional steps were automatic 12% raises (except the initial from paramedic crew member to crew chief was 18%). During Covid, they hatched a GRAND PLAN to help with recruiting including increasing baseline wages for all street personnel ~15% as well as an implementation of an education and experience matrix.

We had the highest wages in the southeast and drew a swift tidal wave of applicants from all across the country. Success!

Except there were two problems.
A) they stopped at the first step—no experience matrix was implemented and they didn’t counter when every regional service countered with higher wages
B) they quietly compressed all promotional steps down to 6%, and have been *discretionarily* giving only 3% at some steps.

Not to mention we still have a crisis with night shift. This has been a solved problem in healthcare for a half century, but our service refuses to address it with shift differential. So basically half our systems turns over at a higher rate than the other half.

So our recruiting had dried up. Attrition continues apace. They’ve disincentivized promotions for senior people (no one wants to promote a step for 3-6% to lose seniority to stay on nights for ~5yrs).

So what conclusion have they drawn from this? Word for word: “money won’t fix this.”

Meanwhile admin raises have been 20% annually and it’s public information.

I’ve come to the full conclusion that they are obviously not interested in fixing the problem and it is fully intentional.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

lol Hurricane Hilary is now a Cat 4

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

LeeMajors posted:

lol Hurricane Hilary is now a Cat 4

It's ironic that all Hilary has to do to spare a lot of people irreperable damage is move to the left a tiny bit.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

swickles posted:

It's ironic that all Hilary has to do to spare a lot of people irreperable damage is move to the left a tiny bit.

:vince:

Goteem

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

GD_American posted:

Now us Southerners finally get to be as smug about rain infrastructure as Northerners are about snow infrastructure everytime we get like a half-inch flurry and poo poo shuts down

Now if we could just actually get some rain. All my soil is drying out and shrinking and causing havoc with my garage door and front porch posts.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
https://twitter.com/derek_mafs/status/1692539739637789144

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

swickles posted:

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

swickles posted:

:drat:

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
"Hilary wasn't left enough so I voted for Trump" is a heckuva self-own, ngl

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling

Ether Frenzy posted:

Do these people exist?

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Ether Frenzy posted:

That’s a weird read.

People are hungry for meaningful change and Hillary represented the malignant status quo—full stop. The folks clamoring for better lives didn’t bail on Hillary for Trump.

Also why overanalyze it? It’s a good joke.

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.

Air Skwirl posted:

Turn it over to private, mostly Christian, adoption agencies. You know the ones currently stealing children at our southern border and charging (mostly well meaning) people tens of thousands of dollars to adopt children forcibly separated from their parents, would be my guess.

Oh I could go on for days about Christian adoption agencies and foster care licensing since they're the primary non-DCYF foster care licensors here. There's such a wide range of supports, quality and information they give so it's an incredibly mixed bag with foster parents who go through them. Some are great, others will email constituant relations because you gave "their" baby back to the bio-parents who did what they needed to do.

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

Ether Frenzy posted:

"Hilary wasn't left enough so I didn't vote, and Trump won."

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

I wish we had normal people to vote for and didn’t have to choose being bloodgargling demons or focus-grouped robotic freaks.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Annual reminder that percentage wise, 2008 primary Hillary voters were more than twice as likely to vote for McCain in the general election as 2016 primary Bernie voters were to vote for Trump in the general

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/Phil_Lewis_/status/1692570240629063873

if nothing else kills the site this will

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

LeeMajors posted:

I wish we had normal people to vote for and didn’t have to choose being bloodgargling demons or focus-grouped robotic freaks.

I agree but when you're talking about the race for NFL MVP it's not DeShaun Watson or Russell Wilson winning lol

I've made it a personal rule to shut the gently caress up about past elections

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

swickles posted:

Great googly moogly

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Air Skwirl posted:

Annual reminder that percentage wise, 2008 primary Hillary voters were more than twice as likely to vote for McCain in the general election as 2016 primary Bernie voters were to vote for Trump in the general

It’s an evergreen fictitious reality for centrists to justify punching left. gently caress em.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Lmao even this dinosaur-rear end website has a block feature.

He's mad about how many people have him blocked, isn't he

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

then again i've kept hearing people assume twitter is dead for nearly a year so who the gently caress knows anymore

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Vertical Lime posted:

then again i've kept hearing people assume twitter is dead for nearly a year so who the gently caress knows anymore

There's a pretty large swath of popular posters on twitter that will likely leave when excessively abusive people are allowed to comment on every tweet they make.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
It's just a ploy to temporarily remove it then bring it back as a paid feature

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

I generally try to refrain from gendered insults but Elon is such a baby back bitch. No other way to put it. Just infinitely fragile.

MaximilianK
Jan 8, 2022
Twitter is dumb and always has been dumb OP

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.
I fundamentally don't understand Elon's mindset and I'm glad I don't, even if it leaves me completely baffled.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

C-Euro posted:

The ability to block users is a requirement on both the apple and android storefronts for social media apps, so hey, good luck to Elon on this one.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

C-Euro posted:

The dipshits that pay for blue are hopping mad about not getting the engagement they want and continue to prattle on about being shadowbanned when they’re really just blocked because no one wants to hear their bullshit

He can’t tell those people that they loving suck and no one wants to hear them so he’s just going to foist them on the people who have stuck around instead

(Also delete your loving Twitter already if you haven’t)

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
I still like Twitter. Obviously it's gotten dramatically worse in the past year, but the people I know I like are still there joking, politicing, and giving me good sports stuff.

Basically feels like the community element has died since the interactivity is all hosed by Elon's various errors. It still serves as an avenue to people I like so I'll hang out until that's untrue or no longer worth the bother. Or till I get a bluesky invite.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

The Puppy Bowl posted:

Or till I get a bluesky invite.

I can help with that. Check your PMs. Also have one more if someone else wants one.

Just easier to post this extra one: bsky-social-q4o37-q4rty

Silly Burrito fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Aug 18, 2023

JPrime
Jul 4, 2007

tales of derring-do, bad and good luck tales!
College Slice

Silly Burrito posted:

I can help with that. Check your PMs. Also have one more if someone else wants one.

I also have one going spare if anyone wants.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cash Monet
Apr 5, 2009

https://twitter.com/andylevy/status/1692586413168992336?s=20