Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should I step down as head of twitter
This poll is closed.
Yes 420 4.43%
No 69 0.73%
Goku 9001 94.85%
Total: 9490 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Steadiman
Jan 31, 2006

Hey...what kind of party is this? there's no booze and only one hooker!

silly sevens

yook posted:

Is the difference between mute and block just that they still show up in your replies for everyone else?

That seems as pointless as the ignore list here since anyone lovely enough for me put on my ignore list immediately gets 20 replies quoting them whenever they post anyway.

They can still see everything you post if they're muted. The point of blocking is they can't see or talk to you, muting just prevents you seeing them I believe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

Steadiman posted:

They can still see everything you post if they're muted. The point of blocking is they can't see or talk to you, muting just prevents you seeing them I believe

And tag you to their followers so they can pile on, the entire intention is targeted harassment by the alt-right. Oh, and since only the worst people on Twitter are "verified" whoever they target gets they replies totally taken over by alt-right trash, it will drive everyone decent off.

Three Olives fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Aug 18, 2023

MunchE
Sep 7, 2000

Steadiman posted:

I'll add that both BlueSky, and even Threads, users seem to be pretty pro-active in preventing the nazis to get a foot in the door and it's creating a surprisingly positive, and more importantly safe, environment for a lot of people.

Yeah, very little CHUD content on either site for me so far.

Cosmik Slop
Oct 9, 2007

What's a hole doing in my TARDIS?

E: all gone!

Cosmik Slop fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Aug 18, 2023

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

I can fit 3 whole bud light cans now, ask me how!

keep punching joe posted:

Really glad I just deleted my account the day that prick took over. No lie it was tough not being able to mindlessley scroll for about a week, but you get over it.

People say giving up Twitter is easy. it ain't easy. the first night cold turkey I was puking making GBS threads blood seeing spiders everywhere.

The withdrawals were the easy part. the hardest part was seeing signs of Twitter everywhere. Every bird I saw was mocking me. Seeing the little Twitter icon would make me instantly start fiending. by that point I'd upgraded to using x pro. So just seeing the letter x would make my body break out in spasms.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I just got an invite and made my account on Bluesky and holy poo poo is this site usually this sluggish or is it straining from an exodus triggered by Elons No Block announcement?

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
I guess if 100 Nazis are reading replying and sharing your posts and you can't see it then it's fine.

As opposed to the current system where those 100 Nazis could be removed entirely from the equation by blocking them.

Mogatrat
Feb 13, 2012

Your flesh is an insult to the perfection of the digital.

poisonpill posted:

The biggest problem I have with Bluesky is that every day there seems to be an insane amount of forums drama that I can't comprehend involving long vagueposting and exhausting performative identity politics. But honestly, it keeps the Nazis out, so it's all good.

That exact description is Tumblr a decade ago, but no one will ever do it better than Tumblr did. All social media sites are Tumblr for a little bit though. Before Elon bought it, Twitter was getting close to that kind of insanity before veering into the current one :v:

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Isn't having a block feature a requirement for Google and Apple stores? Is he going to and say "well you can still block DMs, so it totally counts!"

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

Elon is DDOSing Bsky

JustCallMeDC
Aug 12, 2023

Obey the Lamb
Obey the Lamb
Obey the Lamb

kazil posted:

:lmao: it's so over

He's 100% doing this because he's mad about how many people are blocking him.

Steadiman
Jan 31, 2006

Hey...what kind of party is this? there's no booze and only one hooker!

silly sevens

Unlucky7 posted:

I just got an invite and made my account on Bluesky and holy poo poo is this site usually this sluggish or is it straining from an exodus triggered by Elons No Block announcement?

lol yes that appears to be exactly what is happening

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.

JustCallMeDC posted:

He's 100% doing this because he's mad about how many people are blocking him.

block the blue for sure

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

https://twitter.com/arvalis/status/1692579345469219110?s=46&t=8qKeRz1MPwpnqaU9WYBJgg

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Tars Tarkas posted:

Hi please post a bluesy invite but in the form of those puzzles where you move a single matchstick and it becomes a new letter thanks

Go back to bed, Professor Layton

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Rhonne posted:

Isn't having a block feature a requirement for Google and Apple stores? Is he going to and say "well you can still block DMs, so it totally counts!"

dunno about that, but it's probably legally required

Konar
Dec 14, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

kazil posted:

dunno about that, but it's probably legally required

I remember that juniper account and it was alright. Maybe they should go ahead and leave the nazi social media platform? hey just one man's opinion

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

You're a fucking cocksucker, Jonathan

ryde posted:

I don't see how this proves that he was home when Musk made his "challenge".

It doesn't need to. That's the beauty of dumbfuck bootlickers.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Wouldn't removing the block feature violate several rules for app hosting services like Apple?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Konar posted:

I remember that juniper account and it was alright. Maybe they should go ahead and leave the nazi social media platform? hey just one man's opinion

She is mostly on BlueSky now, but a lot of her audience hasn't been able to get there yet

IBroughttheFunk
Sep 28, 2012

Rhonne posted:

For Apple it looks like it's a requirement.

https://twitter.com/B_Nied/status/1692569042454815215?t=AJ6NpDazGjducXOAQgP-SA&s=19

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

Please no one tell Elon and just let him go on a bath salts bender this weekend deleting features.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Elon will get around it by having a review board (consisting of Elon) who has to review all block requests to confirm that recipient is actually abusive and not just dumb, obnoxious, or verified.

Halisnacks
Jul 18, 2009

John Wick of Dogs posted:

So far people have attempted this and got zero traction, gotten bored and moved on. The culture is different on that kind of thing mainly due to the block button functioning differently. Quote dunks are not good for engagement, if you are quoting somebody I blocked I just don't see your post. If I want to check out something someone I blocked said, it's very difficult. When you block someone they go in the ether like they never existed.

So right wing provocateurs have showed up, and largely been just completely blocked and ignored, then left because they weren't having fun.

I hope it lasts - sincerely - I’m just very cynical. It’s one thing to maintain this culture at its current size, which is closer to the size of SA than it is to Twitter; it’s another challenge to maintain a culture like that at scale.

How long did it take before Dorsey’s Twitter started being swarmed with chuds? I feel like it wasn’t immediate, but sometime between the Romney and Trump POTUS candidacies.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I think technically this just means the service itself has to be able to block people, not individual users

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Every woman will leave the platform if there's no way to block harassers

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
im glad that the deal breaker for the newest ripple of leavers is the block feature being threaten and not the CSAM or other regressive poo poo.

Halisnacks
Jul 18, 2009

PhazonLink posted:

im glad that the deal breaker for the newest ripple of leavers is the block feature being threaten and not the CSAM or other regressive poo poo.

Some people are truly okay with CSAM being there as long as they can block the purveyors and ignore that it’s happening.

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

In my limited experience, muting was generally for when your buds get stuck on a topic and you just do not need to see this month's hyperfixation for the 1000th time. So you mute until they are done with the topic and unmute later when they're posting stuff you're interested in again.

Basically a socially acceptable way to keep them on the follow list but not get burnt out if someone you like is posting too much on a topic, whatever that may be.

A lot of my friends would give warnings of "this is all I'm posting this month, feel free to mute me!"

Not allowing blocks is psycho poo poo tho.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Wow people care about stuff that personally effects them.

Goons out here giving Sherlock Holmes a run for his money with their deductive skills

Hardcastlemccormik
Jul 19, 2022

After Elon decided to rant and rave about Apple, it seems like they’ve been mostly trying to not piss off Twitter/X and avoid a big chud uprising. The gamble was probably that it’ll waste away to irrelevancy by the end of the year, and then Apple can safely stop advertising on it and nuke it from the App Store. That point is approaching pretty quick imo. Maybe when Tim Sweeney makes his EU-mandated App Store competitor, they can host X and X Pro. Lmao

I’ve seen a lot of headlines lately about how Target’s “pride backlash” hurt their latest quarter. We’re probably in a new age of companies having zero backbone.

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

You're a fucking cocksucker, Jonathan

PhazonLink posted:

Let's not fool ourselves here. The people who hate Twitter the most aren't leaving. Too much of that hate dopamine running through their veins that social media has trained so many of us to seek.

The people who bang on about Twitter surely dooming themselves THIS time with THIS decision are the people who prove themselves wrong over and over again by never actually quitting, and no one cares. It's all about clicks and engagement. It's actually extremely pathetic and more people should point out how hypocritical and hopelessly enslaved they are by a lovely website owned by a billionaire they hate.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Block for me, but not for thee

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

PhazonLink posted:

I imagine a lot of people haven’t heard anything about the CSAM stuff and were able to deal with the other stuff by blocking people. It’s kind of like how in real life there are assholes everywhere but we just learn to not keep them in our lives

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

This might be the dumbest and most dangerous thing this gently caress has done

Note Block
May 14, 2007

nothing could fit so perfectly inside

Fun Shoe

Note Block posted:

The truly chaotic mercy killing would be for someone to suggest to Elon that he disallow the blocking of accounts on ads, because he'd definitely start "looking into it" and then implement it in a somehow even worse, more hosed up way, than it's already meant to be.

WHOOPS

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

CLEARLY musk is removing the block feature so he can break the market with an X phone.

Which won't be able to block your abusive ex's number because that's fascism

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

kazil posted:

:lmao: it's so over
remember when twitter circles were going to be deleted? and when only twitter blue users were going to be able to post polls?

dude just tweets poo poo without talking to anyone and then it doesnt happen

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.

Konar posted:

my opinion is like yours, but a bit more extreme: if you still have an account, youre literally enabling an ultra-right pedophile billionaire and his incel nazi followers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!
I stop looking for a day and he does something stupid