Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Rinkles posted:

Steam let's you adjust the deadzones globally per controller.

Settings > Controller > Calibration & Advanced Settings

That said, it won't help address every instance of stick drift. It's not enough for my own Xbox controller, for instance. It really pisses me off cause these things aren't cheap.

Yeah amazingly even expanding the deadzone doesn't fix it most cases, but thanks everyone for the answers. Never had this happen to one of these controllers, especially one that's only 5 months old or so. Quite irritating.

If I sprung for an Elite controller, would that mean I could just replace the entire stick and stick sensor without any fancy tools? At this point I've spent more than enough to buy one of those instead of buying 3 or 4 normal ones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Play posted:

Yeah amazingly even expanding the deadzone doesn't fix it most cases, but thanks everyone for the answers. Never had this happen to one of these controllers, especially one that's only 5 months old or so. Quite irritating.

If I sprung for an Elite controller, would that mean I could just replace the entire stick and stick sensor without any fancy tools? At this point I've spent more than enough to buy one of those instead of buying 3 or 4 normal ones.

No, and Elites are notorious for quality issues despite their price.

But if your gamepad is 5 months old, I think it should still be under warranty, no? With Sony that means you have to cover shipping (used to be $5, don't know now).

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:
Black Skylands just released in full, anybody play it? I hear a bunch of people say it got dumbed down and not sure whether that's ultimately for the better or worse.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Rinkles posted:

No, and Elites are notorious for quality issues despite their price.

But if your gamepad is 5 months old, I think it should still be under warranty, no? With Sony that means you have to cover shipping (used to be $5, don't know now).

xbox controllers purchased separately only get a three month warranty. i also had one start drifting unrecoverably after about five months. i just buy 8bitdo now

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Weedle posted:

xbox controllers purchased separately only get a three month warranty. i also had one start drifting unrecoverably after about five months

wow. i guess they know their product well.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Having tried it out for a bit it seems like the visual clarity is much worse than VS. On multiple runs with totally different weapon loadouts I've had moments where I just can't even see what's going on to dodge because there are too many weapon effects clogging up the screen.
Which is tricky when the game does stuff like spawn enemies at all four edges flying in straight lines that you have to dodge in between.

Try lowering the opacity of attacks in the settings. You can disable a bunch of stuff too, if you are having issues.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Yeah it's dumb but I'd argue that character builds which lock you into certain options are one of the defining characteristics of immersive sims. If a game doesn't have that, people tend to be on the fence about it being a "true" imm sim.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

it's here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=659eVk78FlQ

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Triarii posted:

Yeah it's dumb but I'd argue that character builds which lock you into certain options are one of the defining characteristics of immersive sims. If a game doesn't have that, people tend to be on the fence about it being a "true" imm sim.

I mean, most if not all of the games that I would cite as being good examples under my stricter definition still feature RPG mechanics. Even something as open-ended like Ctrl Alt Ego still has you collecting upgrade points and picking and choosing between different builds. Ideally those mechanics exist to slowly dole out new interesting gameplay options and opportunities, create more choices and friction, etc. Rather than just blandly make a number go up, which is what Bloodlines is guilty of. Reminds me of the hacking tree in Human Revolution where on one side you have a bunch of things that deepen and expand on the hacking minigame and on the other a bunch of boring point tax skills you have to buy in order to unlock high level hacks.

Another distinction to me is that immersive sims usually put you in the shoes of a predefined character that you can influence and nudge in different directions whereas RPGs have you create a character from scratch.

Of course we have bigger fish to fry than one half-baked RPG from 20 years ago with the likes of TotK and BG3 heavily featuring immersive sim elements.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

confirmed: punches are Extremely Good

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i'm obsessed with suleidy in shadow gambit. throwing a bush anywhere is so incredibly broken. this includes on top of corpses, which disposes of them almost instantly. you can hide behind someone in a bush, kill them, then pop a new bush on top of the body hiding both it and yourself.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

We went from developers implicitly not bothering to optimize their games because DLSS/FSR exist, to developers overtly not bothering to optimize and just telling you that you have to use DLSS/FSR.

EDIT: Requiring 2080 SUPER to be able to run any game on lowest settings at ~720p is just :lol::lol::lol:

Jack Trades fucked around with this message at 10:44 on Aug 18, 2023

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Weedle posted:

xbox controllers purchased separately only get a three month warranty. i also had one start drifting unrecoverably after about five months. i just buy 8bitdo now

Depends where you live. In the EU, there's a blanket 2 years warranty on purchased stuff: https://www.eccnet.eu/consumer-righ...0the%20product.

Twobirds
Oct 17, 2000

The only talking mouse in all of Britannia.
According to this itch.io post, noted great game and hardcore spelunking simulator Kentucky Route Zero is getting an interface update, including improvements for the Steam Deck, plus localizations and bugfixes and whatnot.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

wiener gaming

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man

Jack Trades posted:

We went from developers implicitly not bothering to optimize their games because DLSS/FSR exist, to developers overtly not bothering to optimize and just telling you that you have to use DLSS/FSR.

EDIT: Requiring 2080 SUPER to be able to run any game on lowest settings at ~720p is just :lol::lol::lol:

card came out 4 years ago seems fair

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Wow skull and bones is still being developed and going to have a beta weekend? Call me intrigued

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QAlTVPohslk

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Jack Trades posted:

But can it run Crysis?

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

Jack Trades posted:

the gently caress? the game doesnt even remotely reflect those hw requirements unless all their promo material is some PS4 console footage (just watched the 6min trailer on steam), like literally bland design both artistic and technical, no light/shadow casting FX, huge boring geometry, generally static lighting, no simulations, lowres shadowmaps?

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

can't wait to read the apology tweet

"This isn't who we are. We let our players down."

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

3080ti only getting up to medium with DLSS is pretty nuts

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Phobeste posted:

card came out 4 years ago seems fair

2080 SUPER is just as powerful as a 4060, the absolute latest mid-range card, and they're telling us that it can only run the game at lowest settings and ~720p using that.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

haldolium posted:

the gently caress? the game doesnt even remotely reflect those hw requirements unless all their promo material is some PS4 console footage (just watched the 6min trailer on steam), like literally bland design both artistic and technical, no light/shadow casting FX, huge boring geometry, generally static lighting, no simulations, lowres shadowmaps?

It’s a UE5 lumen nanite show case. It’s arguably one of the first actually “next gen” games of the generation.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Pretty sure that game isn't releasing on PS4 or Xbone. Now that the last generation of consoles is finally getting left behind, you're going to see PC requirements spike as devs aren't optimising for the old consoles.

It's like how you're getting games that now require SSDs. Current consoles don't have HDDs, so devs aren't making sure their games run on them.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

lumen is really expensive but from what they've shown it's not really clear why it's required, other than to simplify development

it's a linear non-open-world game with seemingly static time-of-day so baked global illumination should be feasible

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

Rinkles posted:

It’s a UE5 lumen nanite show case. It’s arguably one of the first actually “next gen” games of the generation.

yeah I know, but its not really showcasing which was always a thing between their tech demos from UE2 to UE5 (for 3 no game ever matched their infiltrator demo, not even years later) but before it was more like devs used the new engine and it just didn't look great, instead of it not running at all while looking like that.

Lumen and Nanite have very specific use cases right now, which... are absent from this

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

Harminoff posted:

Wow skull and bones is still being developed and going to have a beta weekend? Call me intrigued

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QAlTVPohslk

Shouldve made Black Flag 2

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Bomb Rush Cyberfunk just dropped and I would love to know if it’s good or not before I think about plunking down $40 for Not Jet Set Radio. That seems like a lot.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
Isn't the PS5's GPU basically on par with a 2070? Is the PS5 version going to run at 1080p on Low settings?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

well those specs were for 60fps.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Volte posted:

Isn't the PS5's GPU basically on par with a 2070? Is the PS5 version going to run at 1080p on Low settings?

Crispy cinematic 24fps gaming, baybeee.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
That game looks like it was specifically made to become the next AAA disaster that everyone laughs at for a week and then forgets about forever

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Jack Trades posted:

Crispy cinematic 24fps gaming, baybeee.

they said every console version will run at 60fps with "4K output" using FSR2 upscaling

what they didn't say is what the actual internal resolution fed into FSR2 will be

probably because it's like 720p

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

The Immortals devs also included this in the article:

https://www.ea.com/games/immortals-of-aveum/immortals-of-aveum/news/technology

quote:

Additionally, the studio is continuing to optimize the game to play well on lower hardware to make the game accessible to even more players. While we aren't ready to confirm anything just yet, we intend to announce new low end specs soon targeting a 1080p/30fps experience. To give you an example, the team currently has the game running well in the 40fps range on an NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 and Intel Core i7-8700K configuration. With Unreal Engine 5.1 being so new, we want to see just how far down we can optimize and thoroughly test as many lower-end set-ups as possible.

TL;DR: They're not willing to commit to lower specs right now but the game supposedly runs on 1000-series GTX cards and older CPUs, though clearly it won't be a great experience. They evidently could not settle on a solution before launch.

Back in April the studio said they "made the hard decision not to support older video cards"…

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

man nurse posted:

Bomb Rush Cyberfunk just dropped and I would love to know if it’s good or not before I think about plunking down $40 for Not Jet Set Radio. That seems like a lot.

I am also waiting on reviews, it looks great but I’d like player reviews before I buy especially with armored core out next week.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Is there anything that sets this Texas Chainsaw Massacre game apart from Dead by Daylight? I played a round and it looks and feels pretty much exactly the same as DBD but it's been a very long time since I played it so I have no idea if they're doing anything unique with this other than the IP. It runs and looks pretty good at least.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I thought I heard that the Radiant Silvergun port was supposed to be on Steam today?

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Jack Trades posted:

2080 SUPER is just as powerful as a 4060, the absolute latest mid-range card, and they're telling us that it can only run the game at lowest settings and ~720p using that.
It used to be 720p/30fps.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
wait this is the game? https://store.steampowered.com/app/2009100/Immortals_of_Aveum/

those are extremely 2018-rear end graphics, cmon man

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
lol that the very first thing in the trailer is an advertisement for some pay to win dlc pack