Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

jokes posted:

My favorite is when you do all the things you can and the leadership of a lovely unit doesn't change. Rear-charging goblins, with fear/terror, killing 20% of their units and they just turn around and go 'wotz this then'

You gotta watch out for Grom's Gobbos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AuLPzukltH0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Dr Christmas posted:

Dev blog about Cathay changes:
https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1142710/view/3641775142542410815

Magistrates are getting more army-buffing abilities and changes to their blue line putting skills like Lightning Strike earlier, so they won’t get completely overshadowed by the new generals. It’s kind of annoying that you’ll have to have a Shugengan if you want the full Ying or Yang lores.

I think the Yin and Yang lores are pretty mid, at best. Going forward I think the standard army composition will be Celestial General + Alchemist/Astromancer. Metal and Heavens are really strong lores with a good mix of buffs/debuffs and direct damage, I don't think there will be a good reason to sacrifice the melee prowess of the General for Yin/Yang lores. It will be interesting to see what kind of army buffs the Magistrate gets though.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Arc Hammer posted:

You gotta watch out for Grom's Gobbos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AuLPzukltH0

I mean, don't get me wrong, I absolutely love playing Bretonnia and doing everything I can to juice peasants. Or playing Skarsnik/Grom.

Or playing Kemmler.

Hm.

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008

orangelex44 posted:

It's also ten dollars. If you don't want to spend it, then don't, but it's not like the increase is breaking the bank here and the developer doesn't owe the players anything. If a extra tenner is enough to ruin your monthly budget then you probably need another hobby (and a free one, at that). I understand that some of this is pure optics but christ do gamers come across as massively entitled sometimes.

If money doesn’t matter to you please quote me and put the steam code in spoilers, thank you in advance.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Playing a grom campaign now and my goblins start with almost 50 melee/defense right out of the box. That's before the meals which can give them regen, damage resistance, exploding arrows, 20% casualty replenishment, etc.

ad090
Oct 4, 2013

claws for alarm
Also if the new lord pack is 25 dollars, I assume the next race pack has to be 40-50 dollars. I guess the upside to that is with Ind, Kuresh, Nippon and Araby out for now, that's basically only Dogs of War left and maybe Hobgoblins?

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

ad090 posted:

and maybe Hobgoblins?

I could be wrong, but I think a dev mentioned that any future Hobgoblin additions would purely be additional units for Chorfs if they ever decide to do that. No plans at all for any hobgoblin faction.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Hobgobla-khan as a a Wolfhart-esque faction, doing terrible bullshit for his chorf overlord

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
skarsnik but hobgoblin

can't recruit chaos dwarfs until they capture something somethin

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Third World Reagan posted:

skarsnik but hobgoblin

can't recruit chaos dwarfs until they capture something somethin

That could work, they need to prove themselves worthy before the chorfs give them the time of day. Like someone said above, they could make it a bit like Markus wulfheart where they get "shipments" of chorf units that can't be recruited normally or what have you.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Let it keep being promised and you get upkeep bonuses to CD units, but they intentionally never unlock.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Dandywalken posted:

Let it keep being promised and you get upkeep bonuses to CD units, but they intentionally never unlock.

Unforeseen market conditions have delayed your shipment. Please continue making payments and shipment will be delivered when we are able. Thank you.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Dramicus posted:

That could work, they need to prove themselves worthy before the chorfs give them the time of day. Like someone said above, they could make it a bit like Markus wulfheart where they get "shipments" of chorf units that can't be recruited normally or what have you.

Oh it will work

it will be extremely lazy so that is what they will do

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Third World Reagan posted:

Oh it will work

it will be extremely lazy so that is what they will do

You are right. I don't even bother thinking of what mechanics would be fun, or best for the faction. I think of what would be the quickest/easiest way of shoehorning it in while reusing as much pe-existing work as possible because that's more or less all CA has done recently.

Changeling does look like the most novel experience so far though. I don't think they've done anything like that before, unlike the WoC rework which is basically just the Amazons from Troy, orTaurox which is just Lu Bu's mechanics, or Yuan Bo which is just Cao Cao's mechanics.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk
Does being on the receiving end of a chorf weapon shipment do anything? They make a lot of the armor and weapons used by chaos warriors, right?

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

I believe it is still 1,000 gold

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Captain Beans posted:

hate or defend the price of the dlc whatever but

there is zero reason for there to be continuing bugs that are 1) easy as gently caress to fix and have been fixed by modders for *checks notes* more than a year and 2) bugs they fixed in the PREVIOUS GAME that they reintroduced in this game. clearly those issues CAN be fixed they just simply chose to allocate their time elsewhere. where else do they allocate their time? well making lower effort dlc of course

and of course they still have dog poo poo optimized particle effects on the campaign map that make your cpu and fans go to the moon (also can be fixed via mods easily)

CA's banking and spending of goodwill is a serious rollercoaster. They really banked a lot of goodwill through WH2 and I guess they thought they could coast on that.

Yeah, I think the compounding factor here is that CA has done a remarkably poor job of managing WH3 overall. Release was rocky, but they put out some patches and made it less annoying. IE dropped and it actually worked and we were happy, but there were bugs and it was like "ok give it time". CoC was well received, Chorfs were well received for the most part... but they've just kinda sat on embarrassingly simple bugs for months since.

How is a company with around 900 employees apparently so thinly stretched that they can't fix an oversight in unit tables for MONTHS, when random internet people had that fixed in a day? The resentment over the bugs and lack of patching was always smoldering, and then CA went and threw gas on that fire with this whole pricing change.

It really feels like they're shoring up their quarterlies by bilking the cash cow that is WH3, because they've dumped a shitload of cash into Hyenas and they know it's a flop before it has even been released. Pharaoh simply isn't going to make up for the loss of revenue, so they needed to do SOMETHING to get the suits their beloved bonuses... and here we are.

Like if CA had a team of people working on consistent, timely fixes for the game, they might have been able to spin it as a necessary cost and it may have made that shock a bit more palatable to people. Instead, it comes off as the obvious money grab that it is, and they're burning goodwill not only with their customers but also the internet nerds they rely on to market their poo poo. But I guess MBAs gonna do what MBAs do (run companies into the ground while collecting that sweet, sweet golden parachute payout).

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

the reason why price went up is they decided to do less DLC per year

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
They really shot themselves in the shin, then again further down, again in the ankle and finally starting blowing away the foot when they released 4 LLs in Champions of Chaos with a faction rework for $16, huh.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...
The fact the blog post defending the price increase tries to spin long overdue bugfixes as features is the part that really burns me.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

They also do the disgusting thing of then saying stop attacking the devs.

Like man, it is you PR guy, and price guy.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

if people are being weird or bad towards the devs, that is a separate blog post.

Don't put it in your 'I'm sorry the cost went up and we are not doing anything about it' post

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Those CA guys, boy what a bunch of clowns!

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
i will kill John Creative Assembly in roblox

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...
FUCK U and never come back

Gonkish posted:

How is a company with around 900 employees apparently so thinly stretched that they can't fix an oversight in unit tables for MONTHS, when random internet people had that fixed in a day? The resentment over the bugs and lack of patching was always smoldering, and then CA went and threw gas on that fire with this whole pricing change.

they probably fixed it in a day, and then it spent months waiting for their next release build

for whatever reason (maybe hosed-up build pipeline everyone hates, overburdened QA, or poor management), the devs aren't allowed to make small patches. so regardless of whether something takes a day or a month to fix, it sits on the pile of fixed issues for the next few months waiting for the next big patch they're allowed to send out to players

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Yeah, I'm sure the bureaucracy is probably the cause of it, but god drat does it make them look disconnected.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Vizuyos posted:

they probably fixed it in a day, and then it spent months waiting for their next release build

for whatever reason (maybe hosed-up build pipeline everyone hates, overburdened QA, or poor management), the devs aren't allowed to make small patches. so regardless of whether something takes a day or a month to fix, it sits on the pile of fixed issues for the next few months waiting for the next big patch they're allowed to send out to players

They've said in the past that patches are so infrequent because CA has one understaffed QA team that switches between their projects, doing one at a time before moving on and they cannot release patchesthat aren't tested. So the Nakai thing was probably fixed 5 minutes later but their QA team had already moved on to the other three games they have in development so it's sat there for months.

This is what hosed up WH2's development and they said that they learned their lesson and then proceeded to change nothing and gently caress up WH3 for the exact same reason lol

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
yeah the whole WH3 release has been scuffed. they seemed to get it together after CoC but then it's been lots of radio silence and slow updates

this is the classic company engenders goodwill then squanders it on what seems like some sort of bender. if they gently caress up the Empire dlc they're pretty much dead in the water

good thing there's a mountain of mods to eventually play thru :shrug:

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
Lmao they'll be fine.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

turn off the TV posted:

They've said in the past that patches are so infrequent because CA has one understaffed QA team that switches between their projects, doing one at a time before moving on and they cannot release patchesthat aren't tested. So the Nakai thing was probably fixed 5 minutes later but their QA team had already moved on to the other three games they have in development so it's sat there for months.

This is what hosed up WH2's development and they said that they learned their lesson and then proceeded to change nothing and gently caress up WH3 for the exact same reason lol

So yeah, it's a management thing where suits refuse to spend money on anything ever and just run a skeleton crew into the ground same as always.

Paying employees is anathema.

Personally I ain't gonna hold the Total Warham 3 guys for being beholden to the dark will of capitalism too much.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
I hope the severe lack of resources is because they are all-in on Medieval 3 and not because they are torpedoing the company with Hyenas. Because Hyenas isn't going to make any money.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
It's because they're torpedo-ing the company with Hyenas.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

Impermanent posted:

Lmao they'll be fine.

will CA the company be fine ya absolutely. would the big wigs decide to cancel potential dlc and slow the release schedule even more if sales show a steady decline? maybe and it would be disappointing if they did

like 3 Kingdoms got dumped due to poor dlc sales. it's not exactly out of parameters for them

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

They don't have anything left if they dumpster this one, it's not going anywhere. If it came down to bringing the price down or kill the game, they'd have to bring the price down, because Hyenas and Pharaoh aren't enough to keep CA going.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
you really should not assume that video game companies will continue as going concerns, even if they are ancient and ship things and everything

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

bob dobbs is dead posted:

you really should not assume that video game companies will continue as going concerns, even if they are ancient and ship things and everything

It's just that, for whatever reason, CA is the only company making anything even remotely resembling a Total War game. If they were just making shooters or whatever it wouldn't matter, as there are plenty of fish in the sea. But if you want this particular type of game, there's no one else out there. Which is concerning.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
If they go under because of their own poor business decisions, that's their lookout.

I'm not buying a LL pack for twenty five dollars.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Cythereal posted:

If they go under because of their own poor business decisions, that's their lookout.

I'm not buying a LL pack for twenty five dollars.

Oh, sure. I'm not saying anyone should buy the poo poo they shovel out just to keep them afloat. It's just sad that Total War games is a genre with only one company in it.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Lmfao CA is not in danger of tanking, nerds

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
dead studio