Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
I'm not a heavy podcast user so Overcast works best for me. I actually started using it for the audio boost feature. Any other podcast app have that? I don't think podcasts.app has it yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Apple Podcasts doesn’t (yet)

PocketCasts has it.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Jose Oquendo posted:

I'm not a heavy podcast user so Overcast works best for me. I actually started using it for the audio boost feature. Any other podcast app have that? I don't think podcasts.app has it yet.

I think Castro might have it, but I haven't used it in more than a year because of phone-restart-required level bugs with airplay (not really their fault imo).

Pocket Casts has it but I think the sound is noticeably poorer than overcast, which is enough to keep me on it. I can't listen to pocket casts on my partners lowest trim Corolla LE cause it sounds terrible on its sound system, but overcast works.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

I can live without the trim silence thing but I absolutely want Apple to add volume boost to Podcasts.

I switched over to it now because I like how it looks in iOS 17 lmfao

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Skeezy posted:

I can live without the trim silence thing but I absolutely want Apple to add volume boost to Podcasts.

I switched over to it now because I like how it looks in iOS 17 lmfao
Good lord

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Skeezy posted:

Also he doesn’t answer my emails about adding external chapter skip controls so I can do it with my steering wheel :colbert:

That would be nice to skip over ad breaks.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Pocket Casts has the feature already if you want to use it. I just want OC to have it also lol.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

Snuffman posted:

What are you syncing with? Apple Devices or iTunes? Error messages? Are you using an official Apple lightning cable?

Both USB and USB-C (it's the same no matter what), iTunes, none, and yes.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
Does anyone use a currency converter app with a good widget? Preferably for iPhone, iPad and Watch! Paid is fine but I don’t want subscription.

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

Sri.Theo posted:

Does anyone use a currency converter app with a good widget? Preferably for iPhone, iPad and Watch! Paid is fine but I don’t want subscription.

I was just looking for that too. Are you looking for an interactive widget to punch in one currency and get the other out? I didn’t find that if so, just wound up with https://apps.apple.com/us/app/currency-converter-calculator/id1457309557. It has a widget but just does this:

It’s been working fine for me traveling around India and Vietnam

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
My problem with Overcast is that when you click on a podcast in Car Play, it's sorted oldest to newest AND shows you have already listened to show up on the top AND you can only scroll down so many lines so if a show has more than like 20 episodes you're never getting to that last episode. There seems to be a hard limit to how much scrolling you can do in car play in general (probably for good reason) but if the app doesn't account for it, it's bad times if you don't have a playlist set up already or something.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008

rafikki posted:

I was just looking for that too. Are you looking for an interactive widget to punch in one currency and get the other out? I didn’t find that if so, just wound up with https://apps.apple.com/us/app/currency-converter-calculator/id1457309557. It has a widget but just does this:

It’s been working fine for me traveling around India and Vietnam

Yeah I was hoping for something to let me punch numbers in. That one is three pounds a year, which isn’t much but I don’t want another subscription.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Rick posted:

My problem with Overcast is that when you click on a podcast in Car Play, it's sorted oldest to newest AND shows you have already listened to show up on the top AND you can only scroll down so many lines so if a show has more than like 20 episodes you're never getting to that last episode. There seems to be a hard limit to how much scrolling you can do in car play in general (probably for good reason) but if the app doesn't account for it, it's bad times if you don't have a playlist set up already or something.

This is probably a Carplay limitation (as you noted), but also Overcast in general just works better if you have things set up in playlists. As others have noted, Marco's not a designer, and ultimately, he's making a podcast app for his listening habits. If yours are different from his, you may have a bad time with it!

Also idk what the issue with "Play next" is since I just tried it and it moved the pod to the top of the list and played next as expected.

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

Sri.Theo posted:

Yeah I was hoping for something to let me punch numbers in. That one is three pounds a year, which isn’t much but I don’t want another subscription.

I didn’t even realize it had a subscription tbh. Haven’t seen any ads and pretty sure I’ve used it when I didn’t have any signal.

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

Sri.Theo posted:

No interactive widgets at the moment, so it wouldn’t be possible to do a punch in numbers one.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Haha they keep moving the end call red button on the phone app with every beta.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Haha they keep moving the end call red button on the phone app with every beta.
At least it's back to roughly where my lizard brain expects it to be.

I had some trouble with background sounds not sticking to the "while audio is playing" volume when using podcasts in the last beta. Every once in a while it would jump back to the normal volume. That never happened with my audiobook app or youtube, just podcasts. I hope that is fixed now, I like to have my dark noise going as I fall asleep to a podcast so it fades in all the way when it ends, but couldn't use it for a minute there.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
The swype word recognition is worse in the 17 beta, right, or is it just me?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

rumor has it the iPhone 15 won't have any official leather cases. RIP saddle brown and your amazing patina.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Jose Oquendo posted:

rumor has it the iPhone 15 won't have any official leather cases. RIP saddle brown and your amazing patina.

Why would they do this? All non leather cases feel horrible, or otherwise only last about a month.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
No case no masters

Weedle
May 31, 2006

i have a casetify case. the build quality is kinda trash for the price but on the other hand they did make me this

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
AppleCare+ is my case, Inshallah

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Macichne Leainig posted:

One day I'll break free of cases. It's definitely a mental thing.

Every year I tell myself I won't do a screen protector or a case on my new phone.. Every year I break down and use them.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
I have a thin one on my phone right now mostly because I do keep dropping my phone and something is better than nothing.

Having control of my phone would be the most ideal thing, but apparently I'm incapable of holding onto things well

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Macichne Leainig posted:

I have a thin one on my phone right now mostly because I do keep dropping my phone and something is better than nothing.

Having control of my phone would be the most ideal thing, but apparently I'm incapable of holding onto things well
There's a correct way to hold the phone. Might help.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
That’s how I hold and look at my phone

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
It's a pity Steve didn't live to see the iPhone 14 Pro Max :sigh:

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
I wish I could use my phone naked. I always feel guilty using a case but then occasionally feel very intelligent when I somehow palm slam my phone onto the floor because I stumbled over my own feet.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Macichne Leainig posted:

Is there a co-pay for an accidentally shattered screen?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

buglord posted:

I wish I could use my phone naked. I always feel guilty using a case but then occasionally feel very intelligent when I somehow palm slam my phone onto the floor because I stumbled over my own feet.

Yup this.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Is there a co-pay for an accidentally shattered screen?

Thirty bucks for just front or back damage. It is incredible insurance. I used it once recently and they advanced me a replacement and accepted the broken device no questions asked.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Macichne Leainig posted:

I suspect he would hate it because it's too big. He's right, but he was also wrong in that big phones are what people want.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Macichne Leainig posted:

It's a good thing he didn't live to see Tim complicate the product stacks he was rehired to simplify in the first place.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Macichne Leainig posted:

Thirty bucks for just front or back damage. It is incredible insurance. I used it once recently and they advanced me a replacement and accepted the broken device no questions asked.

Huh, that’s actually pretty awesome. I never buy AC+ on anything because I never drop my phone, but that’s short of tempting. I did buy it on my AW Ultra on a whim since I use it for lots of athletic things.

After my daughter just annihilated her XS, I’m thinking about getting it on future kid phones.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

buglord posted:

i use mine naked all the time. i don't take the case off though

Weedle
May 31, 2006

applecare+ is great. i broke my screen twice in two weeks and they didn't even make fun of me when i came back the second time

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I need a case to smooth out the camera bump so it can lay flat, and to keep the phone from skidding around like an air hockey puck when I set it down.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

mawarannahr posted:

There's a correct way to hold the phone. Might help.

Does it work only if there is a Russian president watching?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

SlowBloke posted:

Does it work only if there is a Russian president watching?
They've improved technology since then so much so that you can get by without having him in person:

It's not a case, apparently; it's a 6S with a podtat. It'll cost you a pretty kopeck, though -- MSRP £2,000