Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Grassy Knowles posted:

ahouldve taken italian beef lane and gotten off at polish before it meets the loop

they're paving italian beef

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/goodkidbikecity/status/1692451369545007348?t=QRydTUHVwi-tSe17Q350Hw&s=19

mystes
May 31, 2006

sonatinas posted:

we have 2 hatchbacks(mazda 3/Impreza) and gonna drive them into the ground.

would repealing the light truck import tax even make a dent now? or is it more of an CAFE thing?
I mean clearly the government needs to stop everyone from driving bigger and bigger vehicles but since americans want to drive the biggest vehicles possible, good luck with that

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

mystes posted:

I mean clearly the government needs to stop everyone from driving bigger and bigger vehicles but since americans want to drive the biggest vehicles possible, good luck with that

Americans don't even understand how stupidly huge their vehicles are, I've seen people talking about how cars in the 1960s were just massive

mystes
May 31, 2006

I think calling that a "study" is misleading because it suggests that some sort of research was done to verify that removing bollards would be safe but they're just citing this plan which said that bollards should be added but could be removed at intersections if necessary https://openjicareport.jica.go.jp/pdf/12374856_09.pdf

Also I guess it is technically being presented as JICA's recommendation but I assume this is based on the Manila government wanting to do as little as possible. I guess misleadingly wording this as a "study" that said it was ok to remove bollards is a good way to blame someone else though.

mystes has issued a correction as of 16:25 on Aug 18, 2023

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

mystes posted:

Surely (lol) there is a point where cities, state DOTs, and businesses stop accommodating vehicle bloat. It does cost more to build bigger streets and parking lots.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Surely (lol) there is a point where cities, state DOTs, and businesses stop accommodating vehicle bloat. It does cost more to build bigger streets and parking lots.

actually it costs more not to build the bigger streets and parking lots. it kills all your small businesses. violently.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-08-18/melbourne-sunshine-fatal-crash-alisha-fagan-sedat-hassan/102747232

quote:

Alisha Fagan blew kisses to her family members and said "see you soon", as she was taken to the cells following her County Court sentencing on Friday.

On June 9, 2022, Fagan had been drinking when she drove erratically through the streets of Sunshine.

She was travelling at 78 kilometres per hour, nearly 30kph over the speed limit, when she failed to give way at the intersection of Glengally Road and Links Street and slammed into a car driven by 69-year-old grandfather Sedat Hassan.

Mr Hassan died at the scene.

In the moments after, Fagan lied to police and blamed it on "African men" she did not know.

At the time, Fagan, who was 21, had racked up numerous driving offences and her licence had been suspended. She was also on four sets of bail conditions at the time.

On Friday, she was sentenced to two-and-a-half years' jail for dangerous driving causing death, however Judge Scott Johns said he would impose an "unusually low" non-parole period of six months.

Since the crash, Fagan has attended a number of Indigenous rehabilitation programs and made "strong progress", the judge said.

Fagan, who gave birth last month, was supported by about a dozen family and friends in court.

Judge Johns said he would support an application by Fagan to keep her baby in custody with her, taking into account the historical trauma suffered by Aboriginal people who were separated from their parents.

This is pretty hosed.

EDIT: Grassy Knowles is right, this is pretty hosed nonetheless, though.

Ham Equity has issued a correction as of 17:45 on Aug 18, 2023

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Ham Equity posted:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-08-18/melbourne-sunshine-fatal-crash-alisha-fagan-sedat-hassan/102747232

Woman murdered a man, then got pregnant in rehab so she could get a lesser sentence.

Honestly if the family can keep her out of a car and such it’s much better for the child this way

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Ham Equity posted:

Woman murdered a man, then got pregnant in rehab so she could get a lesser sentence.

wow.

is there a citation for her reasoning in getting pregnant? cause if not this is a gross sentence and you should feel gross for saying it.

this is not me preaching that the judges punitive sentence is appropriate either, but saying that she got pregnant to garner sympathies based on the genocide of her people just because sympathies were extended is really gross

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

https://old.reddit.com/r/fuckcars/comments/15udb7g/mixeduse_development/

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

so bad they can't even make it look good in the render

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Grassy Knowles posted:

wow.

is there a citation for her reasoning in getting pregnant? cause if not this is a gross sentence and you should feel gross for saying it.

this is not me preaching that the judges punitive sentence is appropriate either, but saying that she got pregnant to garner sympathies based on the genocide of her people just because sympathies were extended is really gross

This is pretty gross, too:

quote:

Alisha Fagan blew kisses to her family members and said "see you soon", as she was taken to the cells following her County Court sentencing on Friday.

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

so a parking lot with a few buildings sprinkled in

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

Ham Equity posted:

This is pretty gross, too:

unfortunately all of these things are capable of being gross; one being gross doesnt cleanse the other of taint

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Grassy Knowles posted:

unfortunately all of these things are capable of being gross; one being gross doesnt cleanse the other of taint

You're not wrong. Retracted.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

i know it doesn't solve car dependence but it's funny how much americans hate parking garages. just stick all of these cars in one four-level garage dude

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Polo-Rican posted:

i know it doesn't solve car dependence but it's funny how much americans hate parking garages. just stick all of these cars in one four-level garage dude

Surface spaces are way cheaper, so if you're just sprawling out from the city on the edges where land is cheap, and there's no density regulation or anything like that, you have no incentive to do that.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Polo-Rican posted:

... and require siting inspections, structural engineers, months of construction, tons of concrete?? sounds expensive

what about we just asphalt over the acreage

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Parking garages cause friction too. They're a little harder to navigate, park in, and find your car in. Maybe a little more prone to crime? Or at least the perception of crime? Friction causes people to go to the other place that lets you park directly in front of the store. Race to the bottom.

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

I'm imagining all thousand people deciding against going to the mall and circling the block trying to park in two spots in front of the boutique tailor shop. One of the spots has the owner's car parked in it.

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

The only true law is that which leads to freedom. There is no other.

it’s dogshit, you end up crossing the parking deserts multiple times moving from store to store with these sorts of jumped up strip malls

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

https://twitter.com/LakeStevensWA/status/1691825107017322966

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

they have played us for absolute fools

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Maybe a little more prone to crime? Or at least the perception of crime?
:hmmyes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bMtqRir7dco

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

it's mind boggling even though I've seen it a million times

mystes
May 31, 2006

Fitzy Fitz posted:

That's the problem with all the costs being externalized. It will make streets and parking lots more expensive but the people buying the cars aren't directly paying those costs, and once everyone's driving bigger cars, local governments and businesses will have no choice except to accommodate them. The standards for how wide everything needs to be will get bigger and there won't be any point where people are like "hey maybe this is a thing we should try to prevent".

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Heeelp meee... prevent wildfires
Here's my favorite WSDOT roundabout. It was originally a normal 2 lane one, but then they decided it had too much capacity so they reduced it to this hosed up thing where the path through it switches from one lane to the other and back. You can see by the worn yellow stripes that everybody is very good at navigating this

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

It's truly shocking just how ugly this country is

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I thought the Tesla with a custom camo print would be the worst car related thing today, but I almost had a crash at this god awful intersection by my house. ughhhhh

i'm the black line, the other guy was either trying to turn onto east river road, or do some psuedo uey onto franklin, either way he wasn't paying attention so I had to brake really hard in the intersection

the city is planning to deal with this weird intersection (somehow), but one road is owned by the park board, one by the county, and one by the state so it's a mess

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Polo-Rican posted:

Cars (especially EVs and large modern trucks/pickups) are heavy AF and constructing multi-story garages is *extremely* expensive. And people *throw fits* when they have to walk a block or two in the heat their own vehicles helped create.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

We are to the point that beautifying a city just means roadside plantings and decorative roundabouts

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

actionjackson posted:

I thought the Tesla with a custom camo print would be the worst car related thing today, but I almost had a crash at this god awful intersection by my house. ughhhhh

i'm the black line, the other guy was either trying to turn onto east river road, or do some psuedo uey onto franklin, either way he wasn't paying attention so I had to brake really hard in the intersection

the city is planning to deal with this weird intersection (somehow), but one road is owned by the park board, one by the county, and one by the state so it's a mess

I saw someone do a left hand turn across a huge intersection and two pedestrian crosswalks without taking her eyes off her phone. Maybe some drivers need a GPS to navigate such a complicated environment!

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

decorative roundabouts are Good, Actually, not seeing the other side slows drivers down, and provides impromptu obstacles for inattentive ones.

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

actionjackson posted:

so wait did that person drive the wrong way down the street too?

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

https://twitter.com/mateosfo/status/1691717482237907332

I've no idea if I could keep it together if someone hit my kid, but probably not.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=paZl4wSmVsE

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
the Empire State Trail, which is not really a trail but a series of discontinuous trails, road markers, and nothing that runs from New York City to the Canadian Border, goes through my town. it's a dogshit half measure infrastructure project that the sexual predator andrew cuomo touted as one of his great achievements prior to Killing Ten Billion Grandmas in the pandemic.

we get a lot of bikers who stop for lunch / to take a break in town which is great. I also have a rogue's gallery of customers who live here constantly bitching about bikers obstructing their american trukk right of way

nobody stood up and clapped but I called a guy pathetic when he was whining today, he said "I guess we'll see who wins if they won't get out of my way on the road". He'd already paid. don't come back, bitch

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

Simon is the monkey's name

Gunshow Poophole posted:

the Empire State Trail, which is not really a trail but a series of discontinuous trails, road markers, and nothing that runs from New York City to the Canadian Border, goes through my town. it's a dogshit half measure infrastructure project that the sexual predator andrew cuomo touted as one of his great achievements prior to Killing Ten Billion Grandmas in the pandemic.

we get a lot of bikers who stop for lunch / to take a break in town which is great. I also have a rogue's gallery of customers who live here constantly bitching about bikers obstructing their american trukk right of way

nobody stood up and clapped but I called a guy pathetic when he was whining today, he said "I guess we'll see who wins if they won't get out of my way on the road". He'd already paid. don't come back, bitch

Oh hey I'm riding part of that next month, what town so I can avoid it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

spacemang_spliff posted:

so wait did that person drive the wrong way down the street too?

hah I just noticed that. might have had the red arrow a bit off

He was where the grey subaru is in this pic

edit: now that i think some more, given how close he was to me, i'm pretty sure he was going the wrong way, so was in a rush to get out of that lane haha

actionjackson has issued a correction as of 21:27 on Aug 18, 2023