Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Cygni posted:

$99 Arc A380

https://www.newegg.com/asrock-arc-a380-a380-cli-6g/p/N82E16814930076

Part of me wants to get one purely for tinkering, but might also be fun for people who are Av1 curious.

i kissed av1 and i liked it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

I wouldn't call it "actively hindering" as much as sad and pathetic every time you use Edge to download Chrome on a new Windows install you get faced with a couple "Please give us a chance it's a good browser we swear :saddowns: messages.

Edge is a good browser :colbert:

Yudo
May 15, 2003

Edge doesn't have poo poo to say when I install Lynx. It knows it's beat.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Arivia posted:

i kissed av1 and i liked it

twitch enable AV1 already you cowards, even if only for source quality when the streamer is uploading AV1 encoded on their end

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Mega Comrade posted:

Funniest one to me is game exclusives on console. When it's a studio Sony or Microsoft own then whatever, but them buying up studios is fairly recent, it used to just be a wod of cash to just not release it on the competitors hardware.

And what's worse, somehow they got consumers to celebrate it

I loved being forced to call in to cancel xbox live, only be ignored for wanting to do that and pressured into keeping it.

Then a decade later I tried game pass…

Jade empire was unplayable for us. Other games like dirt has the log in window pop up in a way you couldn’t click them.

So then we go to cancel, and the website doesn’t load the “cancel your account page” it just 404s out with some message I don’t remember.

After 2 days of that I had to call Microsoft to cancel game pass over the phone.

I don’t have much love for Microsoft.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021

repiv posted:

twitch enable AV1 already you cowards, even if only for source quality when the streamer is uploading AV1 encoded on their end
they don't know how to upsell their own platform and seem to be trying to get people to drop twitch turbo (basically youtube premium), would have been a smart thing to bundle with some av1 goodness if they cared

maybe the real upsell is h264 pseudosource for the people who can't decode av1

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Mega Comrade posted:

Ok.
For years Microsoft required OEMs to ship with a signed key that would block Linux installation.
There history is riddled with anti competitive stuff like this. Its why the EU has fined them so many times.
Even now edge will actively try and hinder you installing chrome.

Yeah.

This is right on the money, thank you.

Unfortunately it is presently difficult to divorce oneself from windows.

But im not buying gamepass.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

kliras posted:

they don't know how to upsell their own platform and seem to be trying to get people to drop twitch turbo (basically youtube premium), would have been a smart thing to bundle with some av1 goodness if they cared

maybe the real upsell is h264 pseudosource for the people who can't decode av1

they should consider monetizing their platform by selling some actual ads to actual advertisers rather than playing two audible ads back-to-back every 10 minutes

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Mega Comrade posted:

Ok.
For years Microsoft required OEMs to ship with a signed key that would block Linux installation.
There history is riddled with anti competitive stuff like this. Its why the EU has fined them so many times.

i have literally never heard of microsoft doing that, do you have a link?

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

Mega Comrade posted:

Funniest one to me is game exclusives on console. When it's a studio Sony or Microsoft own then whatever, but them buying up studios is fairly recent, it used to just be a wod of cash to just not release it on the competitors hardware.

And what's worse, somehow they got consumers to celebrate it

It got even better once simultaneous PC / console releases started being more standard, leading to console exclusivity becoming some "No Homers Club" poo poo

Two years on and I'm still busting up at the Deathloop trailer's PLAYSTATION 5 EXCLUSIVE also available on PC

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Cygni posted:

$99 Arc A380

https://www.newegg.com/asrock-arc-a380-a380-cli-6g/p/N82E16814930076

Part of me wants to get one purely for tinkering, but might also be fun for people who are Av1 curious.

I was considering it but like

- You can't make Plex encode a stream into AV1 for the receiving client to save bandwidth

- You can't encode to AV1 with Moonlight/Sunshine or Parsec to remote play games with lower bandwidth

So what is the point of it right now?

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Arivia posted:

i guess they mean secure boot which microsoft started mandating on OEM machines starting from windows 8, which initially made it difficult to boot linux, but IIRC distros figured out how to handle it fairly quickly

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Zero VGS posted:

I was considering it but like

- You can't make Plex encode a stream into AV1 for the receiving client to save bandwidth

- You can't encode to AV1 with Moonlight/Sunshine or Parsec to remote play games with lower bandwidth

putting your Linux ISOs in av1 to save space

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wKr9wcQyyHo

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

I wouldn't call it "actively hindering" as much as sad and pathetic every time you use Edge to download Chrome on a new Windows install you get faced with a couple "Please give us a chance it's a good browser we swear :saddowns: messages.

I had my father in law phone me up asking why the computer was telling him that chrome isn't safe to use when I had recommended it. It comes across as silly and desperate to us but its a trick some people will fall for.

spunkshui posted:

Unfortunately it is presently difficult to divorce oneself from windows.

Thanks to Valves proton its easier than its ever been.
Even NVidia have given in and released some open source drivers for the linux kernel.

Zero VGS posted:

Imagine installing Chrome instead of Firefox...

Mega Comrade fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Aug 18, 2023

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Mega Comrade posted:

Imagine installing Chrome instead of Firefox...

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

repiv posted:

i guess they mean secure boot which microsoft started mandating on OEM machines starting from windows 8, which initially made it difficult to boot linux, but IIRC distros figured out how to handle it fairly quickly

and part of that was microsoft themselves offering to sign keys for distros, so yeah, calling it some microsoft plot is kinda absurd

kliras
Mar 27, 2021

Zero VGS posted:

efficient high-quality capture and uploading/streaming to youtube. which is still not much to a lot of people of course

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr

K8.0 posted:

VRR exists because of Nvidia, they adopted Freesync and unlike AMD set actual standards for displays.

This is backwards of my understanding. It was a VESA standard, as part of Display Port 1.2a, backed by AMD.

https://vesa.org/featured-articles/vesa-adds-adaptive-sync-to-popular-displayport-video-standard/

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Rinkles posted:

This is pretty neat

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5hAy5V91Hr4&t=1s

And it's simple to customize. I can't find a way to show per core CPU utilization, but this is a beta that just released.

yeah it's really nice and i'm interested in how intel plan to go forward with helping to add features that make it more or less a real-time profiler but intended for the average end-user

there's going to be some headaches with the display of onpresent, etc across all games given certain games do that wrong and there's decades of driver-level workarounds for a reason but the same could be said for intel's graphics drivers needing to exist nowadays and this could work as a tool for third-parties to document it all for them eventually

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Rawrbomb posted:

This is backwards of my understanding. It was a VESA standard, as part of Display Port 1.2a, backed by AMD.

https://vesa.org/featured-articles/vesa-adds-adaptive-sync-to-popular-displayport-video-standard/

gsync was announced 7 months before that article was posted

as i recall the bones of adaptive sync were present in eDP before gsync came along but it was positioned as a power saving feature to clock down on idle rather than match the refresh rate to the frame rate continuously, and the gsync module was the first practical implementation of the latter

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Arivia posted:

Tangentially related, there was the multi-year Windows ARM exclusivity deal with Qualcomm. Which more people would have probably cared about except it was... Windows on Arm.

Rawrbomb posted:

Gsync predates the VESA standard. Gsync was launched in 2013.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

in terms of actual availability the first gsync monitor shipped in december 2013 and the first vesa adaptivesync/freesync monitor shipped in march of 2015, the lead times basically line up for it to be a response to gsync rather than something they were working on anyway

steckles
Jan 14, 2006

I can't remember the last time some GPU thing has caused this much hand wringing. We may be in our 30s/40s now, but there's an indignant 13 year old console warrior in all of us.

You're all lucky I don't have a billion dollar company, I'd be paying companies to keep all TAA out of games altogether.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
If you're gonna be REALLY nitpicky. Then VRR :actually: dates back to the 70s in vector displays.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Multiscan CRTs couldn't adjust their refresh rates on the fly, like VRR, right?

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

spunkshui posted:

Give an example then.

Show me an another example software that has a paid sponsorship to make some hardware features not work.

Diamond used to request custom builds for certain games to include along their cards, especially during the s3 virge era. I remember a few friends getting stung at gaming cons fetching destruction derby discs only to fail to load without a virge card.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Cygni posted:

Tangentially related, there was the multi-year Windows ARM exclusivity deal with Qualcomm. Which more people would have probably cared about except it was... Windows on Arm.

Gsync predates the VESA standard. Gsync was launched in 2013.

Adaptive Sync was proposed as part of DisplayPort 1.2a, in early 2013. NVIDIA debuted a product first, of course, but it did pre-date nVidia's announcement.

Edit: I guess one could argue it wasn't actually added (as an optional feature) until 2014, but it had been proposed earlier.

Edit 2: Also, I spend a half day in meetings, see 146 new posts, get excited about what hit the news.. and it's just more loving Starfield complaining by NVIDIA stans. God I hate vendor tribalism.

Canned Sunshine fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Aug 18, 2023

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr

SourKraut posted:

Adaptive Sync was proposed as part of DisplayPort 1.2a, in early 2013. NVIDIA debuted a product first, of course, but it did pre-date nVidia's announcement.

Edit: I guess one could argue it wasn't actually added (as an optional feature) until 2014, but it had been proposed earlier.

K8.0 posted:

VRR exists because of Nvidia, they adopted Freesync and unlike AMD set actual standards for displays.

But we didn't standardize on gsync, we standardized on the VESA protocols which is freesync. FreeSync was already part of the standard, so what does ndivida have to do with it? Outside admitting defeat and also using the standard?

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

Rawrbomb posted:

But we didn't standardize on gsync, we standardized on the VESA protocols which is freesync. FreeSync was already part of the standard, so what does ndivida have to do with it? Outside admitting defeat and also using the standard?

Nvidia fans like to believe that everything Nvidia introduces, never existed in any form prior. There is absolutely no doubt that G-sync was vastly superior to Freesync for the first several years of both's existence, but there were also significant deficiencies introduced by using a G-sync module that they like to gloss over also, such as multi-input support and limitations.

It's a lot like how someone else develops a feature first, Apple eventually copies/buys it, and suddenly it's the greatest thing ever that had never previously been implemented. Same rot, different tree.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

the fact that they're still running the gsync module on an FPGA in the year of our lord 2023 is just baffling, they're literally an ASIC company, why wouldn't you make an ASIC once the functionality is nailed down

it's a good implementation but the hardware cost is unjustifiable nowadays

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

Yeah, I still think it's a good implementation, but they absolutely should have updated it by now to an ASIC, and I don't understand why they can't implement better multi-input support, though maybe that's because FreeSync Premium/Pro are effectively equivalent-to-superior alternatives now, so there's little point in updating G-sync much further. It'd be nice if the HDMI inputs could run at full panel speed though.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

repiv posted:

the fact that they're still running the gsync module on an FPGA in the year of our lord 2023 is just baffling, they're literally an ASIC company, why wouldn't you make an ASIC once the functionality is nailed down

it's a good implementation but the hardware cost is unjustifiable nowadays

They came to that crossroads in 2019 already and their decision was to let development on the hardware module die and leave it as a niche product as long as display partners would order em. I imagine pulling design resources from their resoundingly profitable gaming and server divisions wasn't seen as a prudent call.

But also relitigating Gsync/Freesync is somehow even lower on my list of preferred topics than relitigating DLSS/FSR so i'll stop.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

I wish Microsoft would just roll out a DLSS/FSR/XeSS equivalent into DirectX, call it DirectSS or whatever, and eliminate this as yet another long-term trend of full-to-partial vendor-limited implementations. I doubt Microsoft cares though.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

SourKraut posted:

call it DirectSS

It would only work for german players in WarThunder that way.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

repiv posted:

it's quite likely that starfield also had DLSS at some point in development and it was pulled once they decided to partner with AMD (the game has no RT so "RTX" probably means DLSS)

I would laugh if they just left the code for enabling DLSS in but didn't ship the DLL to make AMD happy, so you could just drop the DLL in and poof, the DLSS option appears.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

SourKraut posted:

I wish Microsoft would just roll out a DLSS/FSR/XeSS equivalent into DirectX, call it DirectSS or whatever, and eliminate this as yet another long-term trend of full-to-partial vendor-limited implementations. I doubt Microsoft cares though.

not sure how that would simplify anything unless they hit the R&D jackpot and developed something that works as well as DLSS but runs everywhere

if it's less good then it would just redundantly fill the same role as FSR2 - a sensible default, but not the best, so users will want more options

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

Edge is good, I switched from Chrome a couple years ago

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

repiv posted:

not sure how that would simplify anything unless they hit the R&D jackpot and developed something that works as well as DLSS but runs everywhere

if it's less good then it would just redundantly fill the same role as FSR2 - a sensible default, but not the best, so users will want more options

I'm pretty sure that Nvidia isn't the only one with the necessary resources to be capable of programming AI-based rendering for upscaling, it's just a matter of wanting to, and I don't think Microsoft sees a reason.

I think Intel could get XeSS to match DLSS over the next few years if they stay in the GPU market, since there's certainly an argument to be made about the benefit for portables and their integrated GPUs even.

AMD is just. lol. lmao.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

i recall microsoft talking up the ML acceleration features of the xbox series systems (a differentiator from the PS5 which lacks those instructions) but absolutely nothing of note has come of that yet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker
My hot take on AMD blocking the use of DLSS is that I tried out the third party DLSS mod in Jedi Survivor, and DLSS quality not only looks better than FSR2 quality while being faster, it also looks better than native TAA while being significantly faster. DLSS is good enough that its performance mode actually approaches the image quality / stability / lack of temporal artifacts of FSR2 quality while being even faster yet. So I'm irritated I can't use a better feature of my video card I paid for without some hacky third party implementation because some rear end in a top hat company paid another rear end in a top hat company to disable a technology I bought from a third rear end in a top hat company.

And it isn't really that big of a surprise that DLSS looks better, Dying Light 2's native TAA is actively worse than DLSS quality as well. Hell, FSR2 itself does slightly better than native TAA at avoiding ghosting/temporal artifacts, just not as good as DLSS.