Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

aniviron posted:

That's what FO4 does, regions are scaled to within a small level range, so you will always get alpha deathclaws in the glowing sea and always get bandits in leather to metal armor in concord. Works pretty well, means you can find yourself outclassed sometimes, which is nice.

doesn't matter. If you have it in your head that level scaling is still on the oblivion system and every goofy raider is actually wearing tacticool heavy combat armor then you will not be disabused of the notion.

Midnight Voyager posted:

https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/98519

Make all the Dark Brotherhood torture victims women for reasons that are not creepy, this guy swears

here's a better mod to feast your eyes on.
https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/85085

Weapon draw animations will be based on node placement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Mega64 posted:

Let's turn to more wholesome discussions, like :nws: Big gut dragonborn. :nws:

Unfortunately you can't get a big gut without seeing some dragon dick, but such is the limitations of modding.
I forgot that dragonborn are a D&D race for a second and was surprised to see that this was a BG3 mod :newlol:

"No, the other Dragonborn"

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

beats for junkies posted:

Fallout 3 also added extra damage and innate damage mitigation to most/all of the DLC enemies, separate from their level. The hillbillies in Point Lookout have bare skin that's tougher than the best Power Armor you can get in the game.

Even Morrowind had that problem - the goblins in Tribunal and the bears in Bloodmoon are much stronger than anything in the base game.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Tankbuster posted:

morrowind was infamous for being a massive step down from the sprawling daggerfall map. People were mad that the entirety of morrowind wasn't even in the game, just vvardenfell.

can confirm; this was me. more dismissive than mad.

not only was i completely wrong at the time, but now in retrospect i am immensely incredibly wrong, since that scale enabled the most awesome mod in elder scrolls history thus far.

but you dont have to take my word for it: jeffk interviewed todd howard and brought up the complaints people had. no horses, for God's sake! (actually that might have made the running speed less annoying)

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
One thing I miss about Morrowind is, to the best of my knowledge, there are zero creatures in that game that exist in the real world, nor any classic fantasy creatures beyond ghosts and animated skeletons (and Human, Elvish and Orcish NPCs, but those are all player races too). I mean, nix hounds are basically the wolves you kill by the truckload in Oblivion and Skyrim, but it's still a nice way to differentiate it. The expansions of course change/ruin this, but it really did help make it seem like an alien world you're exploring.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
You heard it here folks, Rats aren't real.

Happy Underpants
Jul 23, 2007
The giant ones aren't :colbert: although it there were capybaras in morrowind I'd be so conflicted about grinding hand to hand on them.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
ROUSes? I don't believe they exist

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I admit, I forgot about the rats. But that almost feels like the exception that proves the rule.

I'm just going to assume the rats are an invasive species introduced during the Empire's colonization of Vvardenfell and part of the reason there's such a restriction on travel between the island and mainland Tamriel.

Flinger
Oct 16, 2012

Air Skwirl posted:

I admit, I forgot about the rats. But that almost feels like the exception that proves the rule.

I'm just going to assume the rats are an invasive species introduced during the Empire's colonization of Vvardenfell and part of the reason there's such a restriction on travel between the island and mainland Tamriel.

They arrived in a big pillow shipment

Tungsten
Aug 10, 2004

Your Working Boy

Angry Salami posted:

Even Morrowind had that problem - the goblins in Tribunal and the bears in Bloodmoon are much stronger than anything in the base game.

yeah the rot at bethesda was evident as early as tribunal

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Part of the reason everything in Tribunal and Bloodmoon are so overpowered compared to the base enemies in Morrowind is they really didn't understand how high level characters would get in Morrowind. Like, monsters start topping out once you hit level 20 in the base game and if you're a completionist, but not an optimizer you'll probably be in the 40s by the end of Morrowind, optimizers significantly higher level. And they were lazy about addressing that.

Since this is a mod thread, there's several mods that even out leveling of monsters and abilities of both the expansions and the later enemies in Morrowind so that It makes sense to dip into Tribunal and Bloodmoon at lower levels then go back and play the main quest and back and forth with the ending of the main quest being the hardest challenge. This is the first, there's links to the rest in the description. Made by a goon.

https://www.nexusmods.com/morrowind/mods/45713

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Tankbuster posted:

doesn't matter. If you have it in your head that level scaling is still on the oblivion system and every goofy raider is actually wearing tacticool heavy combat armor then you will not be disabused of the notion.

Raiders do spawn with combat armor.

And instead of every bandit coming with a full ebony set they give them hidden enemy perks as well as the player available perks that make them effectively have something like that. The scaling in skyrim and FO4 isnt as obvious since they learnt to set the ranges and variance wider and also have enemy slots that scale differntly, either by capping or flooring at a certain tier.

E:
Level scaling as a concept isnt a bad thing. NV uses the same exact system but used much more sparingly and the level ranges and what can spawn are much more tightly controlled. It makes every area in the game have a certain character and expected level of challenge to it. Also importantly they both have leveled loot and a wealth of preset placed loot.

Its when you use it for literally everything that the gameplay experience starts to feel like an indistinguishable mush. Where No matter what path or route you take on any playthrough youd face the same things as a function of how long you played the game.

Full disc i HATED FO4s legendary system because it meant unique things arent unique anymore. Why should i care about this quest reward 'unique' weapon when it looks exactly the same as the gun i have except i rolled a better legendary for it.

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 09:54 on Aug 18, 2023

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Part of it is laziness, but there's also the eternal problem of open-world games offering XP and incremental power gains for side activities. Because the core path needs to be within reach of the people who didn't do all the side content, that places a cap on the power level of end-game enemies.

A lot of games solve this problem with level scaling, but I'd be a lot happier if they opted to offer alternative or narrative rewards for doing non-critical path junk.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

What kind of freak only does the critical path in an open world rpg

Why are you even playing an open world rpg if you’re not gonna go do some poo poo off in the weeds sometimes

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

History Comes Inside! posted:

Why are you even playing an open world rpg if you’re not gonna go do some poo poo off in the weeds sometimes

Most open world RPGs have a main story that urges sticking to the main path. You do a tutorial and then "The world is ending, you must go here to prevent that" add infinitum. Skyrim pushes you really hard to complete Black Barrows as soon as possible (which is understandable since a key gameplay mechanic is hidden behind it) and then backs off a little bit after you kill your first dragon, but it's still a narrative device trying to get you to complete the main quest as fast as possible.

Morrowind, at certain points, actively tells you to gently caress off from the main quest at several points if you haven't leveled up enough, which encourages you to do other stuff and find other things you're interested in.

These differences change how new players experience a game.

Also you play a messiah in both Morrowind and Skyrim, but in Morrowind you're a fake messiah until you actually become one and in Skyrim you have no idea you're the messiah until you actually become it.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

History Comes Inside! posted:

that means its weak narrative.

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009
I like how Breath of the Wild and Tears of the Kingdom did it:

,,Here's a crisis, the stuff that might help you solve it is scattered all over the world and you should just go and figure it out. Also, everything you do actively helps you prepare for your final fight."

Why is Link loving around with a glider for hours? Doesn't matter, he'll find something that helps him become stronger. Why does he need it? Because Ganon, duh!

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
The important thing about the BOTW approach is that it also lets you just go directly to the end boss whenever you feel like you're ready, rather than what a lot of open world games do which is have the main story be a full dozens of hours long thing on its own that is mandatory to complete before you can get to the ending. That's where you run into that "oh I may have overleveled for this" problem because those longer main paths tend to be scaled with the assumption that player will be mixing in main story quests with side content as they go along, even though it's very well known that a lot of players have an obsession with exhausting all the side content before they touch anything in the main story.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Also Breath of the Wild doesn't have leveling in the same sense as Skyrim, most other RPGs.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Air Skwirl posted:

Most open world RPGs have a main story that urges sticking to the main path. You do a tutorial and then "The world is ending, you must go here to prevent that" add infinitum. Skyrim pushes you really hard to complete Black Barrows as soon as possible (which is understandable since a key gameplay mechanic is hidden behind it) and then backs off a little bit after you kill your first dragon, but it's still a narrative device trying to get you to complete the main quest as fast as possible.

Morrowind, at certain points, actively tells you to gently caress off from the main quest at several points if you haven't leveled up enough, which encourages you to do other stuff and find other things you're interested in.

These differences change how new players experience a game.

Also you play a messiah in both Morrowind and Skyrim, but in Morrowind you're a fake messiah until you actually become one and in Skyrim you have no idea you're the messiah until you actually become it.

In Oblivion your good friend Sean Bean's the messiah!

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
You are literally chosen by prophecy in oblivion. Captain Picard tells you so.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Finally, time to install C&C Generals Zero Hour again https://www.moddb.com/mods/anime-gui

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Psych, I never uninstalled it

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

The biggest crime of that mod is how much of a pain it makes everything to visually parse. Gods, that's awful.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Awful/Awesome Mods: talk forever about stuff everyone has already said about Bethesda games

https://www.nexusmods.com/baldursgate3/mods/1104

Alternate Wyll Origin Appearance

A simple alternate appearance for Wyll.

Guess why I am posting this!

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.

Air Skwirl posted:

Also Breath of the Wild doesn't have leveling in the same sense as Skyrim, most other RPGs.

It actually kinda does, the more enemies you kill the stronger that specific enemy type gets(at specific kill amounts), which is a neat way to do it.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Tankbuster posted:

You are literally chosen by prophecy in oblivion. Captain Picard tells you so.

Yeah, chosen to be Sean Bean's number two

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

what the gently caress does this mean

Orv
May 4, 2011

RBA Starblade posted:

Yeah, chosen to be Sean Bean's number two

Look not everybody can die with such grace, sometimes you just gotta let the man work

FrancisFukyomama
Feb 4, 2019

I wish the script/design docs for van buren would get leaked so we could get a large scale mod that doesn’t have horrible writing

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Relyssa posted:

what the gently caress does this mean

idk zoomer/alpha humour is loving dumb

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

FrancisFukyomama posted:

I wish the script/design docs for van buren would get leaked so we could get a large scale mod that doesn’t have horrible writing

Impossible

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

quote:

There should minimal black people in this region of Faerun, based on the climate, lore and latitude/longitude. The fact that they make up such a big proportion of every race is a nod to modern political correctness.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Midnight Voyager posted:

Friend sent me this, and when I checked in on this creator's other mods wouldn't you know it it's just whitewashing black characters in Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous.

Nalesh posted:

It actually kinda does, the more enemies you kill the stronger that specific enemy type gets(at specific kill amounts), which is a neat way to do it.

World level is a global thing, not per-enemy. Some enemies are just exempted from world level stuff so you never miss out on important upgrade materials.

TGLT fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Aug 18, 2023

Orv
May 4, 2011

:psyboom:

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

:nws: Pencil Dick (Githyanki Female) :nws:

quote:

That's right its another lady cock from your favorite dick designer geneeugene.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
Can you imagine receiving a business card of a Dick Designer?

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

TGLT posted:

Friend sent me this, and when I checked in on this creator's other mods wouldn't you know it it's just whitewashing black characters in Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous.

World level is a global thing, not per-enemy. Some enemies are just exempted from world level stuff so you never miss out on important upgrade materials.

They say they're fine with his head reverting when he angers his patron, of course.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Midnight Voyager posted:

Awful/Awesome Mods: talk forever about stuff everyone has already said about Bethesda games

https://www.nexusmods.com/baldursgate3/mods/1104

A simple alternate appearance for Wyll.

Guess why I am posting this!

This is so loving sad. I just can't contemplate being that loving triggered by a skin colour. You just wonder the kind of pathetic life these people must be living.