Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Al-Saqr posted:

lol I posted a giant OP about this...

But that was 14 whole pages ago!!!

:v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Al-Saqr posted:

Effort is rarely worth it.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
The Ork Nob rule to subtract one from wound rolls, that does impact 4+ anti infantry? Or does a 4,5, or 6 still proc the mortal?

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

Jack B Nimble posted:

The Ork Nob rule to subtract one from wound rolls, that does impact 4+ anti infantry? Or does a 4,5, or 6 still proc the mortal?

Anti specifies an unmodified wound roll, so you could definitely argue it would still wound.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe

Athas posted:

Second, I bought some models (custodes, while my wife got harlequins) and a whole bunch of painting supplies. Obviously, since I'm only five models in, my results are still awful, but I remember the basics from my last attempt, and I've watched videos and read guides and so on. Is there a place I can get feedback and suggestions for how to improve? There is a painting thread in this forum, but it seems to mostly be really experienced painters sharing their work, and I'm wondering if there's a better place to discuss basics.

My immediate goal is to have a (small) fully painted army (to a tolerable standard) and play a full game. My previous efforts never quite managed to reach that level. I have an acquaintance who has been in the hobby for years and has a huge Imperial Guard tank army, so it's just up to me to get an army assembled so he can crush it.

The minis painting thread is an excellent place to seek advice on improvement. Take it from me, a three-month-old ham who has asked and received advice from it several times. Quality advice every time: look only a few pages back and see the amazing level of information I got about crafting straw hats!

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Athas posted:

Is there a place I can get feedback and suggestions for how to improve? There is a painting thread in this forum, but it seems to mostly be really experienced painters sharing their work, and I'm wondering if there's a better place to discuss basics.

Seconding the mini painting thread, those same experienced painters are happy to help out.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(
Note to people going to that thread for the first time, some goons are literally world class painters there. Don't go looking at the overwhelmingly bullshit levels of skill and think it's not for you, most folks painting minis are at the figuring out how to do the basics stage.

Tangy Zizzle
Aug 22, 2007
- brad

Wrr posted:

Okay feeling better about this!

DKoK One (980 points)
Astra Militarum
Incursion (1000 points)
Combined Regiment

Nice list, it also helps that the veteran guardsmen kits are going on sale again so you should be good to go.

A couple of notes from a guard player:

Keep a close eye on how you build the kriegers as they have specific restrictions on what weapons they can use, and what you have to give up. (for example, if you take a vox caster you can't have a plasma gun etc)

Magnetize the weapons and extra items on vehicles - including sponsons. There are lots of videos describing how to do this. Points costs for vehicles and weapons are always in flux, last edition you could choose from a long list of options and they all had different points values, this edition they just made the base cost higher to accommodate a fully loaded unit. People are a little annoyed that their vehicles are less bespoke now. I suspect this will change again in the next edition.

The wyvern kit can be built as both a hydra and a wyvern with little to no difference (except the longer barrels on the hydra). I would suggest you keep the barrels and magnetize the kit in a way that allows you to run it both ways.

Good luck have fun! Remember it's a social game so the most important thing is that you and your opponent work together to have a fun time together.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Tangy Zizzle posted:

Good luck have fun! Remember it's a social game so the most important thing is that you and your opponent work together to have a fun time together.

I wish everyone who played tabletop games understood this

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Spanish Manlove posted:

I wish everyone who played tabletop games understood this

So many times me and my friends tweak the game in the middle to adjust for unexpectedly good/bad rolls just to make sure as much parity is maintained as possible so everyone is having fun all the way through the game. A close fought battle that you lose by the skin of your teeth is practically as enjoyable as winning in the same fashion. If both players aren't having fun something is going very wrong.

Athas
Aug 6, 2007

fuck that joker

rantmo posted:

So the core rules are free and available here and the points are in the Munitorium Field Manual document. All the actual army rules and stats can be found in the various indexes which are all here: https://www.warhammer-community.com/warhammer-40000-downloads/

Thanks! I found a newer version of the Munitorium Field Manual. How often do they change? Are codices just dead?

Al-Saqr posted:

I did read the OP and I particularly enjoyed the faction overview, which is what convinced me to get Custodes. I did find the "NOW ONTO THE RULES!" section difficult to understand and very concise. E.g. it doesn't mention the Munitorium Field Manual at all.

But I suppose I will go admit to my plastic abuse in the painting thread, and leave rules confusion for later.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Athas posted:

Thanks! I found a newer version of the Munitorium Field Manual. How often do they change? Are codices just dead?

I think the points are going to be quarterly and then the larger balancing is every six months but I also might be making that up. Codices are starting soon with Tyranids and Space Marines in "Autumn", rumored to be late next month for the bugs, if I remember right.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

Athas posted:

I did read the OP and I particularly enjoyed the faction overview, which is what convinced me to get Custodes. I did find the "NOW ONTO THE RULES!" section difficult to understand and very concise. E.g. it doesn't mention the Munitorium Field Manual at all.

But I suppose I will go admit to my plastic abuse in the painting thread, and leave rules confusion for later.

Yeah, the OP seems to gloss over the whole points thing.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Had a fun 2K game today, Necrons vs. Demons. My opponent went all in on Big rear end Demons and ended up winning, though it was pretty close.

My Doomsday Ark killed Kairos, finished off Shalaxi, and almost one-shotted Belakor. I want another one, now.

The tipping point was him getting Belakor and a Bloodthirster into the middle of my squishiest units and scoring a ton of points on very lucky secondary draws.

Lychguard and Warriors remain unkillable.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

ASAPI posted:

:mediocre: Al-Saqr.

Tangy Zizzle
Aug 22, 2007
- brad
to be fair to the OP he did just join the hobby and is really excited about being a part of it, if you want to make suggestions for him to add anything I think that would be nice to do

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Sorry but this is the 41st millenium, we must exterminatus Al-Saqr for these minor crimes against points.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

Tangy Zizzle posted:

to be fair to the OP he did just join the hobby and is really excited about being a part of it, if you want to make suggestions for him to add anything I think that would be nice to do

Absolutely. I'm just observing. Usually these threads have a few OP revisions as they age.

To be fair, as someone returning, the way they handle points and how they are listed seems strange to me. I am used to having everything in the codex.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

ASAPI posted:

If anything, he's just following GW's lead.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

tangy yet delightful posted:

Sorry but this is the 41st millenium, we must exterminatus Al-Saqr for these minor crimes against points.

Seppuku is clearly the only honourable option for Arch-Heretic Al-Saqr.

Since he asked for feedback multiple times and I didn't see much provided I guess Seppuku for everyone?

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Kitchner posted:

Seppuku is clearly the only honourable option for Arch-Heretic Al-Saqr.

Since he asked for feedback multiple times and I didn't see much provided I guess Seppuku for everyone?

This is honestly the most 40K accurate response, it's been an honor posting with you all.

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008
You have to disembowel yourself with a chainsaw for maximum authenticity

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
In a way we have all committed both financial and dignity seppuku by being into warhammer

Ok now that i know points and munitorum stuff is missing from the OP i will add it 👍

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

Athas posted:

10th edition just came out and there haven't been any codices released for this edition yet. They are on the way, with Space Marines, Tyranids, Necrons and, Ad Mech being the first 4.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

rantmo posted:

I think the points are going to be quarterly and then the larger balancing is every six months but I also might be making that up. Codices are starting soon with Tyranids and Space Marines in "Autumn", rumored to be late next month for the bugs, if I remember right.

Yeah that's right. They said the next points/balance update is mid-September, so probably around 3-4 weeks away.

Rumour is that the Tyranid codex will be September, with Space Marines in October.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

rantmo posted:

One of the problems is that the stratagems and rules can't really fix the problems with some of the patrols, especially in terms of board presence. I'm not sure the missions are helping either but I'm also not sure how you could build a 40k mission at that scale that didn't exacerbate such fundamental problems..

It is fun and good, but absolutely has problems due to how it uses pre-existing products and was reverse-engineered. But like, it's not like the same problems can't be said about 40k proper, that game has big issues with balance too.

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

that's Doctor Brain to you

Devorum posted:

That's probably it. There's a world of difference between magnetic rubber and ferrous rubber.

I order all mine from the UK. Place called The Magnet Shop. https://www.themagnetshop.co.uk/

OK this was the first I'd heard of the stuff, I've always used the adhesive fridge magnet sheets to line my plastic storage bins, but I just got a few sheets from Litko on Amazon and the hold is definitely stronger. Not as strong as to an actual piece of metal, but notably stronger than the magnetic sheets. I'm definitely switching over for any future bins I make. Though I will note it's also $8/sheet versus like $3/sheet for the magnetic stuff, and the magnetic stuff is strong enough in my opinion.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Harvey Mantaco posted:

Note to people going to that thread for the first time, some goons are literally world class painters there. Don't go looking at the overwhelmingly bullshit levels of skill and think it's not for you, most folks painting minis are at the figuring out how to do the basics stage.

But also, many show what/how they do it. I've become a much better painter since I started following that thread.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Floppychop posted:

But also, many show what/how they do it. I've become a much better painter since I started following that thread.

It is an excellent resource

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Spanish Manlove posted:

Effort is rarely worth it.

dsyp

Al-Saqr posted:

In a way we have all committed both financial and dignity seppuku by being into warhammer

if we wanted to play a good game we wouldn't be playing 40K

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I've played this on and off since 2nd edition. Don't worry about rules being good or bad, worry about fun, lore and painting.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013
Someone was talking earlier about smaller games of 40k working best if the players write their lists together as a good match-up. Well, we are going to Warhammer World next week for a day's gaming. Everyone bringing 1000pts. Now one guy is saying he's torn between all-artillery guard and Knights. Like man, could you pick two armies that would be less fun for our extremely non-competitive group to play against? I know drat well my 1k list of Iron Warriors has 1 squad of lascannon Havocs, and when they are dead a single knight would walk through the whole lot.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

DancingShade posted:

worry about [...] lore

bad news, OP

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Geisladisk posted:

Abaddon done. Not sure about the decal on the cloak though.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Cease to Hope posted:

bad news, OP

I just waded through the Forgotten Realms wiki cause of BG3 and let me tell you, 40k is incredibly consistent high literature compared to that.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
I managed to recruit two new people into the game today! gonna introduce them to combat patrol next weekend! :dance:

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

a fatguy baldspot posted:

Thousand sons notoriously hate their combat patrol, but I don’t know how it’s rules hold up.

I'm new but I have been considering it. I think you absolutely want the Infernal Master and SO Terminators, so through that lens it's comfortably the cheapest way to get Tzaangors, especially with the upgrade frames. Maybe they'll be good when the book comes out, or at worst they'll get painted and look cool.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Al-Saqr posted:

I managed to recruit two new people into the game today! gonna introduce them to combat patrol next weekend! :dance:

The influence of the Cult of the Four Swole Armed Emperor grows.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

That's awesome.

If you weathered the decal more, both with dirty stains and the underlying yellow, it probably wouldn't jump out as clean and bright as it does.

But I think it's fine either way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Finished up my first squad of chonky bois.

I definitely feel I made the right choice keeping the main weapon chassis as red.