Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Super-NintendoUser posted:

Isn't that the game where one of the levels requires you to walk to the left and crouch for like 15 seconds before you can progress?

I can't say for sure but there is definitely a section where a platform you need to use doesn't appear till you crouch for a few seconds

edit: you may or may not have to be holding a crystal while doing this and you may or may not get lied to from own of the towns peoplea about which crystal and where you crouch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Diet Coke Can posted:

Downloaded RDR last night, but the controller keeps disconnecting every few seconds (have to do the L+R reconnection over and over again). Not experiencing this when I'm playing other games. Anyone else getting this problem? I want to play my cowboy game :(

While playing as a cowboy are you perhaps sitting in a loped stance where your legs may be blocking the controller.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Is the port a mess like the GTA trilogy? And if so how big can you make the horse?

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009

JollyBoyJohn posted:

I can't say for sure but there is definitely a section where a platform you need to use doesn't appear till you crouch for a few seconds

edit: you may or may not have to be holding a crystal while doing this and you may or may not get lied to from own of the towns peoplea about which crystal and where you crouch

There's several crystals in the game.

The white one makes the invisible platform visible and doesnt require crouching. The blue one drains water i think? And involves you crouching next to some water somewhere. And the red one summons a tornado by having you walk all the way left and crouching in front of a wall lol

And yeah the translation was messed up. But even with the correct translations it was still cryptic as hell and I dont know how they expected people to figure this poo poo out.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

JollyBoyJohn posted:

The actual text is 'WAIT FOR A SOUL WITH A RED CRYSTAL ON DEBORAH CLIFF.'. No mention of kneeling at all.

Think you're also told to hit the cliff with your head to make a hole.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Bananasaurus Rex posted:

The white one makes the invisible platform visible and doesnt require crouching. The blue one drains water i think? And involves you crouching next to some water somewhere. And the red one summons a tornado by having you walk all the way left and crouching in front of a wall lol

And yeah the translation was messed up. But even with the correct translations it was still cryptic as hell and I dont know how they expected people to figure this poo poo out.

I remember hearing on a podcast that they put it out with the misleading translation etc knowing full well there was a nintendo helpline available

plus, i presume magazines and so on still printed games walkthroughs etc back then?

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Nintendo was just super ahead of the curve with pay to win and monetized add ons.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Bananasaurus Rex posted:

They didn't they wanted you to buy guides or even Konami's official 'cheat' cart that did crazy stuff like allow you to continue in games that otherwise had no continue feature :effort:

Tbf being insanely obtuse to pad out game length was not unique to CV2 or Konami in general, it was just a feature of Japanese gaming at the time.

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

I played Castlevania 2 with the romhack that added an in game map and made the day to night transitions seamless and those two changes alone were enough to make the game much more enjoyable, especially when it came to exploring the map.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
More NPCs should lie to the player

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug

hatty posted:

I never figured out the gimmick in zozo and had to use a gaming magazine to set the clock to the right time

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

hatty posted:

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

hatty posted:

Yes I agree....THAT YOU SHOULD BE DEAD!

*backflips into a yiga clan costume*

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

hatty posted:

already happens on a daily basis to me, the player, among the NPCs of the world

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Quantum of Phallus posted:

why would you do that

I was unemployed and had no intention of buying it either way

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Mister Facetious posted:

I was unemployed and had no intention of buying it either way

dont worry, you dont really have to play 1 or 2 first

unless you werent buying it for other reasons in which case hmmm

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

symbolic posted:

dont worry, you dont really have to play 1 or 2 first

I tried watching goon LPs of those two but got bored quickly. I like ff12, but Xenoblade games just seem way too busy

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It busier than the game you spend 99% of the time auto attacking yeah

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

If anyone picks up Bomb Rush Cyberfunk please post thoughts

Emo Szyslak
Feb 25, 2006

yeah, I'm on the fence between the switch and steam version (or waiting for xbox, even)

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Do you think the pixel remasters will ever go on sale

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
not a worthy sale no

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Meowywitch posted:

Not a hope

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I think they probably will. Final Fantasy stuff goes on sale all the time. They'll never drop in price though.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
The bigger SE games generally don't go below 50/60% during sales, and it also takes a year or so after release before games actually go on sale.

They'll go on sale eventually, but it'll be awhile.

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023
I saw the first yooka-laylee and yokus island express are on sale in switch shop for $3.99 each. Worth picking up for a kid who's engrossed with the old Mario games right now?

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Meowywitch posted:

Christmas at the earliest. More likely next year.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

trevorreznik posted:

I saw the first yooka-laylee and yokus island express are on sale in switch shop for $3.99 each. Worth picking up for a kid who's engrossed with the old Mario games right now?

yokus is good, the second yooka is very good.... dont touch the first yooka

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
Vampire Survivors always slays me, because my brain always expects the game to be about Vampire Survivors, instead of Vampire Survivors and so I imagine some kind of Castlevania-like game but with vampires fighting vampire hunters/other vampires. And then I look the game up and get disappointed, then forget about it. Some time later, this cycle of stupid repeats.

Is there a game with vampires beating up people? If not, someone should make it, imho

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

Libluini posted:

Vampire Survivors always slays me, because my brain always expects the game to be about Vampire Survivors, instead of Vampire Survivors and so I imagine some kind of Castlevania-like game but with vampires fighting vampire hunters/other vampires. And then I look the game up and get disappointed, then forget about it. Some time later, this cycle of stupid repeats.

Is there a game with vampires beating up people? If not, someone should make it, imho

V Rising is a vampire survival game in kinda the tree-puncher sense of survival.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Vampire Survivors is either the best or the worst name to describe the game.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Libluini posted:

Somebody made a reverse Vampire Survivors where you're summoning hordes of enemies to kill some assholes who are trying to destroy your poo poo. Unfortunately not on Switch yet.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

That is a cute idea, but also the absolute opposite of what I was thinking of, welp.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Hmm this vampire survivors game is pretty fun for five bucks

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Does it run okay?

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

[ASK] ME ABOUT MY LOVE FOR 1'S

hatty posted:

Does it run okay?

Runs amazing both handheld and docked at least from the 5 or so hours I’ve played. Even the parts near the end of the levels where the whole screen is flooded with enemies and damage numbers

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

The co-op zooms in the camera a bit and seems to go into a lower color mode to handle everything, I kind of dig the look tbh

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Large Testicles posted:

Runs amazing both handheld and docked at least from the 5 or so hours I’ve played. Even the parts near the end of the levels where the whole screen is flooded with enemies and damage numbers

I've noticed a little slowdown handheld but I've never played on mobile to compare versions. This is my first time playing it and reminds me of geometry wars.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Libluini posted:

Lorewise there's some strong indication that VS is in fact the latter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

ImpAtom posted:

Lorewise there's some strong indication that VS is in fact the latter.

Can you elaborate on that?