Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How much longer is Twitter going to last?
A few weeks
A few months
A few years
About as long as the rest of humanity
View Results

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
We're all still going to call it Twitter forever though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.

Clarste posted:

We're all still going to call it Twitter forever though.

I’m pulling for Twixxer, myself.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

My favorite part about the Stupid Name Bullshit is that Elon knows that he absolutely has to keep the Twitter brand on lockdown or someone else will use it and immediately increase their value exponentially.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

CuddleCryptid posted:

This is a minor thing but Twitter has officially renamed "retweets" to "reposts" which is hilarious. Just sandblasting that brand off.

See that pissed me off. They could have called it "rexes" and that would be kind of bitchin'.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

See that pissed me off. They could have called it "rexes" and that would be kind of bitchin'.

Or x-posting, pronounced cross-posting.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I'm convinced that Musk's entire mission in life is to get revenge on Peter Thiel et al.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Star Man posted:

I'm convinced that Musk's entire mission in life is to get revenge on Peter Thiel et al.
Nothing he's been doing since buying Twitter has been remotely coherent. He's just making it up as he goes along.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I didn't say he was doing it well :v:

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

Star Man posted:

Uh, that would be cool so it’s impossible.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

FlamingLiberal posted:

Nothing he's been doing since buying Twitter has been remotely coherent. He's just making it up as he goes along.

He was always bad, but since taking over Twitter he's got terminal internet poisoning. Basically everything he's done can be understood through the lens of "this should make me seem cool to the blue checkmarks."

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Captain_Maclaine posted:

He was always bad, but since taking over Twitter he's got terminal internet poisoning. Basically everything he's done can be understood through the lens of "this should make me seem cool to the blue checkmarks."
I never really paid attention to his posts that often pre-purchase, but I think he's been like that for awhile. It's just worse now because as far as I can tell he spends all day on Twitter and his primary interactions are with scum like Catturd2 and the right-wing shitheads of Twitter

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

FlamingLiberal posted:

I never really paid attention to his posts that often pre-purchase, but I think he's been like that for awhile. It's just worse now because as far as I can tell he spends all day on Twitter and his primary interactions are with scum like Catturd2 and the right-wing shitheads of Twitter

Trying to look cool online does work a lot better when promoting rocket/electric car stuff rather than unbanning nazis, yes.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

https://twitter.com/dexerto/status/1692564300865450020?s=46

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Holy poo poo this is purely because he wants more eyes on right wing propaganda and his own posts.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Its fascinating to see how Twitter has dropped all pretense of being social media to swing hard to catering to influencer accounts and political actors. Being able to control who can see your information and posts is a foundational thing for social media, and removing it just means that Twitter is no longer personal social media in any possible way, it's somewhere where you go for clout and clicks.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
It also means a LOT of people are going to get chased off the platform, because extensive blocklists are they only way they can use it

I hope this is one of those times he runs his mouth and then quietly forgets about it later

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Yeah I would just have to stop participating in large threads because if someone you don't know gets pissed and starts to harass you then what are you going to do about it?

Let alone the constant victims of neo-gamergate harassment on there.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

socialsecurity posted:

Holy poo poo this is purely because he wants more eyes on right wing propaganda and his own posts.
I prefer the theory that people are blocking too many of his terrible scam ads and that is hurting his bottom line

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
He probably found out how many people have him blocked and that triggered this nonsense.

I block literally every ad I'm served along with thousands of right-wing bigoted dipshits. I'll miss all the science and art accounts I follow but I will definitely not use Twitter if I can't block.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
It's like advertisers fighting against the TV mute button

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
from the sounds of it Muting is gonna stick around but that's still not ideal (people with huge blocklists would have to recreate mute lists from the ground up, people you muted can still follow you and see your page, etc)

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Wait, is this legal? Don't Apple and Google require that block be an option as part of basic safety features required for apps?

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Wait, is this legal? Don't Apple and Google require that block be an option as part of basic safety features required for apps?

Turns out yes according to some person I found

https://twitter.com/deathflares/status/1692579996840218843?t=4SqNfn3i7x8JSN4MG_JWyg&s=19

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
Honestly I bet Musk doesn't even know that and is gonna be real surprised when it bites him in the rear end

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Yeah he's going to get TweetX banned from all the app stores.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

You'll find that the richest people on Earth do not let anything get between them and what they want. He's shackled to Twitter until it collapses at which point he'll direct his attention to one of his other toys.

EDIT:

https://twitter.com/steinkobbe/status/1692594392173772803?s=20

Dick Trauma fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Aug 18, 2023

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
but I don’t scream and I don’t shout
And I feel so proud
to be alive
i have to thoroughly recommend this writeup from Blind Rasputin in the Trump Crimes thread regarding Twitter's court hearings from earlier in the year

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4004152&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=306#post533947081

i cannot imagine the legal competence has improved much since then

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Never trust some person you found on Twitter to have accurate reads on that kind of stuff. "Informative" tweets that go viral usually exhibit basic failures of reading comprehension that lead to them being completely wrong.

Those highlighted lines aren't really talking about a "block" feature, they're talking about a "ban" feature. It's particularly obvious on the Apple side, which clearly states that it's talking about the ability to block users from using the service at all.

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

no, they must have the requirement for the ability for the company to block/ban people from the service. allowing users to block each other is nowhere in there

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

https://twitter.com/MattBinder/status/1692619930368127217?s=20

https://twitter.com/MattBinder/status/1692622763985338756?s=20

quote:

Of the 153,209,283 X accounts following Musk at the time the data was collected, around 42 percent of Musk's followers, or more than 65.3 million users, have zero followers on their own account. Just over 72 percent, or nearly 112 million, of these users following Musk have less than 10 followers on their account.

When it comes to content creation on the platform, more than 62.5 million Musk followers have zero tweets. This would include users who have deleted all of their tweets by the time this data was collected over the past few weeks as well as accounts that have never before tweeted. More than 100 million Musk followers have less than 10 tweets posted to their account.

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs
Hmm, how does that compare to other big accounts though? Considering how many users never tweet it seems reasonable that a number of users would have 0 followers.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Dick Trauma posted:

He probably found out how many people have him blocked and that triggered this nonsense.

I block literally every ad I'm served along with thousands of right-wing bigoted dipshits. I'll miss all the science and art accounts I follow but I will definitely not use Twitter if I can't block.

I think it's that he is almost certainly the most blocked person on the site by an order of magnitude or more. And he's a big baby about it.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Does this mean Awful.app is in violation of the rules if you can't block admins, mods, and IKs?

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Do new Twitter accounts follow Musk by default?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I don't think so, but thinking along that line the funniest thing to happen during the Musk/Zuckerberg fight would definitely be "bah gawd it's Tom Anderson with a folding chair!"

Tree Reformat
Apr 2, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

haveblue posted:

It also means a LOT of people are going to get chased off the platform, because extensive blocklists are they only way they can use it

I hope this is one of those times he runs his mouth and then quietly forgets about it later

Counterpoint: killing Twxtter would be a net positive for mankind, so any idiot idea he has that hastens that process is ultimately a good thing in spite of his intentions.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!
It sounds like what they want is to replace block with only mute, which will probably still meet the App Store requirements, but will let people poo poo up your replies and there'll be nothing you can do about it (except report it, which now does nothing).

Teratrain
Aug 23, 2007
Waiting for Godot
The app store requirements being highlighted look very much like they refer to moderation rather than individual user blocking.

Twitter probably falls foul of these rules in its own way, given that Parler got targeted back in the day for falling foul of the rules, but I don't think the highlighted rules clauses are the slam dunks they're being made out to be.

I'm actually curious if the rampant antisemitism and other forms of hate speech will eventually lead to Google and Apple making examples out of them like they did Parler, or if that only happened because Parler was smaller and, by comparison, much more primarily focused on the right wing calls to violence while Twitter has, on occasion, other things.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

OneEightHundred posted:

It sounds like what they want is to replace block with only mute, which will probably still meet the App Store requirements, but will let people poo poo up your replies and there'll be nothing you can do about it (except report it, which now does nothing).

"Mute" means the muted person can still see your posts and interact with them, "block" cuts off altogether. Like, if I spammed that photo of Elon & Ghislaine every time Elon posted, muting means he wouldn't see it, but I'd have a foothold in his replies as long as I maintained the account. But if he blocked me, I would be unable to interact at all, not even read the posts.

Teratrain posted:

The app store requirements being highlighted look very much like they refer to moderation rather than individual user blocking.

Twitter probably falls foul of these rules in its own way, given that Parler got targeted back in the day for falling foul of the rules, but I don't think the highlighted rules clauses are the slam dunks they're being made out to be.

I'm actually curious if the rampant antisemitism and other forms of hate speech will eventually lead to Google and Apple making examples out of them like they did Parler, or if that only happened because Parler was smaller and, by comparison, much more primarily focused on the right wing calls to violence while Twitter has, on occasion, other things.

The issue, given the state of moderation on Twitter right now, is that individual user blocking is a form of moderation, literally self-moderation. If we have to rely on the current state of Xitter's moderation team, individual users blocking bad behavior is the only effective moderation there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Someone explain why removing blocking is a bad thing?

In this hypothetical scenario, if Elon blocked me then I wouldn’t be able to see anything he tweeted unless I logged out of my account, at which point I would see everything he tweeted.

I guess I don’t see how this feature even makes sense at all because I can bypass someone blocking me by just logging out?

I feel like I should always be able to see tweets from people regardless of whether they’ve blocked me or not. If I don’t want to see them, then the onus should be on me to block them on my account. No?