Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Leveling crafters is easy, right up until you get to the Heavensward crafting quests, which suck.

(Guess what part of the crafting leveling experience I'm on right now)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?

Endorph posted:

applies to the writing too, they do a better job accommodating the fact that the player can be anywhere in 5 seconds, less of the running around bureaucracy.

I'm amazed that they wrote a world where every living person can teleport across the globe between cities and it doesn't fall apart. I wonder if I've missed a lore blurb somewhere about the time an army tried to invade that way and were caught by entrenched defender camping the crystal or something, lmao.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Doomykins posted:

I'm amazed that they wrote a world where every living person can teleport across the globe between cities and it doesn't fall apart. I wonder if I've missed a lore blurb somewhere about the time an army tried to invade that way and were caught by entrenched defender camping the crystal or something, lmao.

Both mechanically and in the lore you can't teleport to an aetheryte you haven't attuned to (experimental means explored in Endwalker aside), so unless you're able to get an army together of soldiers who have all visited your enemy's city you're not going to be able to mount an invasion that way.

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

Disco is not dead! Disco is LIFE!

Doomykins posted:

There's a bunch of lore relevant restrictions which the player happens to be able to ignore. I think a lot of people simply can't teleport for example.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Doomykins posted:

in 1.0 teleporting required a stamina resource that refilled very slowly. they removed that in arr but its still mentioned a few times in dialog. so you can assume teleporting anywhere ends up with you exhausted for a bit, which wouldn't exactly be conducive to fighting.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Ah. It's never quite clear how many rules the PC ignores, but that the setting works so well with the ability acknowledged is still very good.

Endorph posted:

in 1.0 teleporting required a stamina resource that refilled very slowly. they removed that in arr but its still mentioned a few times in dialog. so you can assume teleporting anywhere ends up with you exhausted for a bit, which wouldn't exactly be conducive to fighting.

Oh ho, slick.

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

That Little Demon posted:

my experience in dungeons is a tank asking me if I know how to heal, and I say yes because I've been healing in MMOs since 99, and them pulling every mob in the dungeon so I don't even see anything except bright colors and explosions lol. I know you can do them with NPCs but that feels like... why am I playing an MMO? you know?

Yeah, even when playing a dps and the alternative being a long queue I avoid doing dungeons with the npcs because of the very same reason. it's also much slower (or at least it was last time I tried it) than playing with real people, and it's not like most post arr dungeons have lore/flavor things laying around anyway.

IthilionTheBrave
Sep 5, 2013
Doing dungeons with NPCs is ideally done as DPS, both to bypass queue times and to expedite the actual run. The reason they're so slow, partly, is because NPCs as DPS don't generally use AoE except incidentally, they burn targets down one at a time.

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

It makes the most sense to do it as DPS, yes, but it's still a pretty dull and slow experience. I'd rather just do something else while waiting, or "ideally" run the queue with friends since it's a social game.

Not that I think it's wrong for somebody else to like running it, of course.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Sleng Teng posted:

It makes the most sense to do it as DPS, yes, but it's still a pretty dull and slow experience. I'd rather just do something else while waiting, or "ideally" run the queue with friends since it's a social game.

Not that I think it's wrong for somebody else to like running it, of course.

There's something to be said for the story impact of running the dungeons alongside your fellow Scions, or whatever other named NPCs might be relevant at the time. At least once you get out of ARR.

I get an extra level of enjoyment out of it myself though, simply because I have a fascination with player-allied AI in games, and like to pay attention to the little details of their behavior.

If you reach a point where you LIKE the NPCs around you in the game instead of harboring mild resentment for everyone around you, there are some moments where you can definitely find yourself going "THIS IS AWESOME" when you realize who's about to join you in this next dungeon. I was personally VERY excited to see the roster for the level 70 dungeon in particular - for which dungeon I genuinely recommend doing it at least once as *not* a DPS (not necessarily the first time, I get that a lot of people level DPS classes first), simply because the far more awesome of the two DPS NPCs in that dungeon only appears if you are a tank or healer.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
I like doing story dungeons with main npcs because I noticed they have some lines of dialogue which is neat.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

The Crystal Tower was at the very least, self contained and interesting throughout. Hildibrands many, many quests as well.

On the plus side, if you liked the story of these two questlines well enough that's a pretty good sign moving forward. You're also almost at Heavensward and both the story and the voice acting picks up pretty noticeably from there.

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 4 minutes!

Runa posted:

On the plus side, if you liked the story of these two questlines well enough that's a pretty good sign moving forward. You're also almost at Heavensward and both the story and the voice acting picks up pretty noticeably from there.

Good to hear :cheers:

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

quiggy posted:

Leveling crafters is easy, right up until you get to the Heavensward crafting quests, which suck.

(Guess what part of the crafting leveling experience I'm on right now)

I didn't do some of the heavensward crafting quests until I already had everything at 90 because I needed to unlock some skills. It's perfectly ok to use GC turn ins and levequests to really outgear the crafting storyline and make it much easier.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Yeah. ARR has a lot of problems, and even the "streamlined" version is still not great. It's a testament to how bad 1.0 was that ARR with it's problems was still a massive triumph.

The story line is going to get much better from where you are, and the music in the game is about to really step it up a notch.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
Just bear in mind, the gameplay of the questing remains relatively constant. It's still going to be mostly "go talk to this person, go over here, go find a thing, go talk to this person, watch these cutscenes, maybe fight a thing or two over here", all the way up through Endwalker and likely into Dawntrail. It's the story and characters that get better.

Alphinaud will eat his humble pie, and end up gradually becoming a more tolerable, mature character. He will continue to look like a kid though.

(eventually they comment on it in the form of Elezen apparently staying short until they hit a massive, MASSIVE growth spurt in a very short timeframe.)

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

The HW trailer is still hype 8 years later! (the relative jump in quality helps)

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I love this game and do look back with some fondness for even the ARR doldrums, with the major caveat that I went through that stuff like seven years ago and it took me months to power through it all

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

BlazetheInferno posted:

Alphinaud will eat his humble pie, and end up gradually becoming a more tolerable, mature character. He will continue to look like a kid though.

I would still be perfectly content if he hosed off forever so I didn't have to deal with being around him anymore.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Sleng Teng posted:

The HW trailer is still hype 8 years later! (the relative jump in quality helps)

Yeah

TLD, when you get to HW be sure to check out the trailer. You can do it from the menu at the title screen if you want to avoid the youtube algo potentially throwing spoilers at you down the line lol

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Relyssa posted:

I would still be perfectly content if he hosed off forever so I didn't have to deal with being around him anymore.

Counterpoint, I would miss him

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Runa posted:

Counterpoint, I would miss him

The game would be improved immensely with his absence

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

There's no story without Alphinaud. He's like the closest thing to a protagonist besides yourself, imo.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Alphinaud is my little adventuring pal.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Crystal Tower didn't gel with me because I kinda didn't get "oh, this is an aside to tell someone else's story" so Cat Nerd being in the spotlight all the time felt annoying. Heavensward onward I'd caught on and could engage with them properly.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Mainwaring posted:

There's a bunch of lore relevant restrictions which the player happens to be able to ignore. I think a lot of people simply can't teleport for example.

I thought it was established somewhere that ordinary people can't use aetherytes because they don't have enough aether or whatever.

Anyway, I've been doing a lot of roulettes to level up lately and there are way too many tanks out there who don't use their cooldowns at all or appear to think they're only to be used as emergency buttons.

Pryce
May 21, 2011

Bruceski posted:

Crystal Tower didn't gel with me because I kinda didn't get "oh, this is an aside to tell someone else's story" so Cat Nerd being in the spotlight all the time felt annoying. Heavensward onward I'd caught on and could engage with them properly.

Crystal Tower was originally indeed a total side story that they then retconned to be a main story element for Shadowbringers’s plot. I haven’t played through ARR since they made that change (though I’m working through it now) but I suspect it feels as weird as you say.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Selachian posted:

I thought it was established somewhere that ordinary people can't use aetherytes because they don't have enough aether or whatever.

Anyway, I've been doing a lot of roulettes to level up lately and there are way too many tanks out there who don't use their cooldowns at all or appear to think they're only to be used as emergency buttons.

People can use aetherytes, but most of them not nearly as often as you can.

Having healed for the first time ever my advice to tanks: CORNERS! See them! Avoid them!

Picayune
Feb 26, 2007

cannot be unseen
Taco Defender
I feel like about half of the idea behind blue mages is to make there be a reason for there to be critters on the world map again. Not only are they the blue mages' primary source of EXP, they teach them a fair number of their basic spells. I mean, that's why I fought morbols!

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

Pryce posted:

Crystal Tower was originally indeed a total side story that they then retconned to be a main story element for Shadowbringers’s plot. I haven’t played through ARR since they made that change (though I’m working through it now) but I suspect it feels as weird as you say.
It's not really much of a "retcon" considering how central the Allagan Empire is to...well, basically the rest of the game. Learning about Xande and Amon, the people who led its rise to power - and thus are directly responsible for all the Allagan bullshit you're going to encounter every so often that they left lying about the place after their downfall - is important.

Hell, it's already started even in ARR - Xande and Amon were the fuckers responsible for Bahamut, Dalamud and the Coils.

GilliamYaeger fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Aug 18, 2023

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

my experience in dungeons is a tank asking me if I know how to heal, and I say yes because I've been healing in MMOs since 99, and them pulling every mob in the dungeon so I don't even see anything except bright colors and explosions lol. I know you can do them with NPCs but that feels like... why am I playing an MMO? you know?

Sounds like you had a pretty good tank.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

I know you can do them with NPCs but that feels like... why am I playing an MMO? you know?

Only noticed this bit because of Super Sweet above me, but...

One of the big reasons for Duty Support existing is because, yes it's an MMO... but it's also a Final Fantasy game, and they wanted to provide an option for people who want to treat the Main Story Quests like one. The only downside is that ARR can give you a bad impression of Duty Support, since it's all the same four shmucks all the way up to the end of 2.x. But, once you hit Heavensward, you start getting actual named NPCs as your Duty Support party members. There are still a number of Generic Party Members scattered through, but once you hit Stormblood, they're few and far between, then vanish entirely once you hit Shadowbringers, and it's All Named Characters All The Time.

The NPCs will offer extra commentary as you go through the dungeon, and the named ones often have some sort of little quirk to their behavior and their AI affecting either their set of abilities, or just their priorities. For example, most DPS party members will leave the Limit Break for the player to use at their leisure if the player is a DPS... but there are a few that are greedy, and will snatch it up at first opportunity.

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020
Probation
10x times: "Oops, we lost a large quality of crystals we transport around by wagon when flying ships exist, with no guards... do you think we should have stopped doing this the first time? No? Okay... what about the 5th? No? Okay surely the 10th time...?"

Child commander: We must do EVERYTHING we can to stop the primal from being summoned, again. Yes I know... lessons learned and all that

Child commander: Please inform no less than 20 people about the threat now

Child commander: okay so Shiva has been summoned somehow... handle it please

This poo poo is literally Star Wars Episode 9 levels of dogshit lmfao

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020
Probation
lmfao

They really thought so highly of this garbage to include a new game+ huh, the balls to have that level of hubris about your own writing is pretty loving awesome I must say

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

New game+ is just a way to be able to redo past MSQ quests. There's nothing really additional to it. I think the only time I used it was when the changed the duties before and after Prae.

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020
Probation
If you would take this as a single player game, and the first 100 hours of the RPG were this story, it would go down in history as the worst final fantasy ever made. We are talking like metacritic of 55 or something, and it would forever be a black mark on square-enix. And frankly I think it's fair to judge it as such, single outside of dungeon here and there (its been 30+ hours since a new dungeon btw) its a totally solo experience outside of making my own fun through role-playing (it is pretty much the best RP community I've ever seen in an MMO)

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020
Probation

Tekopo posted:

New game+ is just a way to be able to redo past MSQ quests. There's nothing really additional to it. I think the only time I used it was when the changed the duties before and after Prae.

Right, I get that. I'm laughing imagining anyone redoing any of this.

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020
Probation

GilliamYaeger posted:

It's not really much of a "retcon" considering how central the Allagan Empire is to...well, basically the rest of the game. Learning about Xande and Amon, the people who led its rise to power - and thus are directly responsible for all the Allagan bullshit you're going to encounter every so often that they left lying about the place after their downfall - is important.

Hell, it's already started even in ARR - Xande and Amon were the fuckers responsible for Bahamut, Dalamud and the Coils.

This was actually really good and interesting and I actually liked the fights here too. I did them all synced.

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

Right, I get that. I'm laughing imagining anyone redoing any of this.
I don't think anyone would willingly replay ARR stuff unless they're doing a full replay or checking out the changes they made during the overhaul (like I did last year, it was a slog even with the cuts but the new Steps of Faith was pretty cool). If I'm using NG+ it's almost always for stuff from Heavensward onwards.

This was actually really good and interesting and I actually liked the fights here too. I did them all synced.
Yeah if you liked that you'll definitely like the rest of the game after ARR ends.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Do you mean Crystal Tower? Or did you do Coils synched? Cause coils synched you need to find a group usually, so curious to know if you found one to do it.