Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Yesterday my old-ish EdgeRouter-X stopped working properly. It would only occasionally hand out DHCP, and packets definitely did not get routed properly. The uplink from my ISP was working fine if I skipped the router4. This persisted even after power cycling it.
The router has been running very hot (my estimate is over 40 C/100F on the outside) pretty much all the time I remember. After powering it off, leaving it to cool for several hours, then powering it on again it seemed to work normally, or at least it would respond to HTTP for the admin interface, but I no longer trust it to continue working. Right now I'm using my ISP supplied router, but would prefer something better featured. (The admin interface for it is also absolutely terrible.)

So I'd like some advice for a new router. I already have a standalone UniFi AP which is working perfectly, so I don't need AP built into the a new router.

One feature I would like to have, if possible, is be able to set up a separate VLAN that routes traffic over a VPN, for example to access geoblocked services in a device neutral way.

It needs to be a small device that can easily be wall-mounted, or even hang from an RJ-45 jack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nerox
May 20, 2001

nerox posted:

My router keeps having to get restarted cause it keeps bugging out or something, its pretty old, so I went ahead and upgraded.

The local fiber company has kept telling me that they are "6 months" away from our house for about a year now, so eventually I want to get a pretty decent opnsense box for when I can get full gigabit, but for now I went with an Edgerouter X, which should fulfill my needs, then added a Unifi NanoHD, and a Unifi Switch 8 60W for wireless and ports.

Now to wait for amazon to deliver so I can play with shiny new toys.

I remember making this post in 2019 about the local fiber company coming soon (tm). I am proud to say that I have finally been able to sign up for gigabit fiber to be installed on the 30th, which is almost 4 years later. :lol:

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Sometimes the computers connected to my network switch slow down. This usually happens with a power outage or ISP outage. The only way it gets fixed is when I switch the ethernet port the switch is connected to on my router.

What causes it and why does that fix it? Is this ultimately a hardware fault with the router or the switch? Any ideas?

It's a netgear orbi and a 5-port tplink switch.

edit: After more googling...I know the ethernet port swap fix is because it may be addressing a new MAC address to the switch....also reading tp-link switches are garbo. I might pick up a NETGEAR 5-Port GS105NA

Housh fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Aug 17, 2023

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

swickles posted:

I just moved into a new house from a tiny tiny apartment and now my wifi needs are woefully unmet. We have a single main access point for the cable, which is the lone bedroom upstairs. The Wifi signal is strong enough to just reach the living room, but falls short of where the office space will be. I was thinking of getting a mesh network, but have never done anything beyond basic wireless setups. I understand a lot of them are pretty easy to use and configure, and was looking at a few options. I thought of just getting the Google Nest system, but they seem to lack wifi 6 (I have no idea if that is a big deal or not). We aren't looking to break the bank, and aren't looking for the cheapest setup. Would just like to know what is a good entry level setup that won't be out of date in a year. House isn't huge, but the layout makes a single point near impossible.

edit: I should say they main thing we use internet for is typical home use, streaming, light gaming, etc. My wife will be working form home a few days a week after a couple months, which may involve some video calling.

That sounds like a job for Orbi's, since it sounds like you want mesh functionality without any future proofing or producer features.

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

The trenches of IT can scar a muppet for life
Unfortunately the RBK50s look to finally be unavailable everywhere. At sub $150 they were a steal.

RBK752 looks to be the replacement at $275.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

spaced ninja posted:

Any thoughts on the banana pis? I'm looking to replace an older GL.inet router that works great but only has one extra LAN port and I want to wire up the other ports in my apartment but don't really have room for a switch in the closet, so I’m looking for a all-in-one. Currently only have a 1G Xfinity connection but we may finally be getting some fiber to the complex soon. I’ve managed networks in the past but haven’t really stayed up with hardware since it isn’t my primary job any longer.

I don't know about the banana pis, but if you're looking at these kind of things you can also consider a used Lenovo Thinkcentre Tiny. They can be bought very cheaply off ebay and are expandable and small. Some of the models have a proper PCIe slot which you can use for a NIC of your choice for a pfsense / proxmox box.

This one just arrived in the post, it's a m920q with an i5-8500T, 16GB memory and a 256GB nvme drive, pretty good for £200ish.

I'm waiting for a £13 riser card to arrive before putting it together with the NIC which is a Supermicro 10Gbe card.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Actually, I think I'm rather settled on wanting to try a Mikrotik hEX (not-lite), but do anyone have arguments against it?

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

nielsm posted:

Actually, I think I'm rather settled on wanting to try a Mikrotik hEX (not-lite), but do anyone have arguments against it?

The hEX is almost identical hardware to the ER-X. It's an older platform at this point, but if the latter could handle the throughput for your Internet connection then the hEX should too.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

SamDabbers posted:

The hEX is almost identical hardware to the ER-X. It's an older platform at this point, but if the latter could handle the throughput for your Internet connection then the hEX should too.

The ER-X could handle my connection well enough, but it was permanently running quite hot, though I don't think I was anywhere close to its capacity. The majority of the traffic would have been switching, not routing, too.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Doesn't the EdgeRouter X use the same Cavium-based ASIC for switching and routing, that everything else in their lineup uses?

EDIT: Nope, it uses a RaLink chip with much the same capabilities.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 13:36 on Aug 18, 2023

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

If you want something with a bit more CPU then the hAP ax2 has twice the cores as the hEX and you can just not use the WiFi interface if you don't need it. The SoC switching is not as capable though if your configuration requires hardware VLAN switching. Packets with VLAN tags will be software bridged on that platform.

The next step up would be the RB5009 which has a very capable L2 switch chip and significantly faster CPU cores, but also costs more.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

You're right, the hAP ax models definitely sound like a better choice. The ax3 model seems a bit of an upgrade on the ax2, so I may go with that.
I've also looked at the L009 series, but it doesn't seem like a great deal in the end. The only thing it offers if an SFP cage, and if I wanted to take advantage of that then I wouldn't have be able to take advantage of the extra Ethernet ports over the hAP ax2/3 models.

Captain McAllister
May 24, 2001

Hi all,

I don't usually wander into this subforum, but I'm moving soon and found ye olde box of random electronics in my basement.

Said box contains:

A Linksys WRT54G2 V1.5 wireless-G broadband router,
A Linksys BEFSR41 V2 Etherfast 4-port cable/DSL router with 4 port switch,
Annnd a Linksys ADSLME1 ADSL Ethernet Modem.

I'm pretty sure I already know the answer, but is any of this still useful/worth hanging onto, or should I just take it to the local electronics recycling place?

The last few years I've just used whatever setup the provider...err...provides, and haven't lived in houses where I could run cables for a wired network, so I'd just use wifi from the provided setup.

Triikan
Feb 23, 2007
Most Loved
Yeah that's all basically e waste. I still have a box full of wrt54 routers, but that's just mental illness nostalgia.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
maybe another decade it might become retro-cool to hobby set up a little dslam and make a little adsl network out to your barn on a phone cord at 10/2 to play habbo hotel or whatever

Captain McAllister
May 24, 2001

Cool, thanks.

Also found a DLink DIR 822.

I guess it can also join its friends as E waste?

Captain McAllister fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Aug 19, 2023

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

It does wireless AC aka WIFI 5, which is still "fast enough" for light users. If it was me I would keep it as a spare in case my main router somehow crapped out, but it's not a big loss to offload either.

Ape Has Killed Ape
Sep 15, 2005

My ISP is finally raising our download speed past 100Mbps, so I no longer have any excuse to not to replace the 50 feet of Cat5 I ran through my house a decade and change ago. Any reason I shouldn't spring for Cat8 so I don't have to do this pain in the rear end chore for another decade?

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
Seems like overkill currently 10gb Ethernet only needs cat6a. I guess it’s future proof for equipment that doesn’t exist yet but you could also run fibre that can do 100gb today.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

Perplx posted:

Seems like overkill currently 10gb Ethernet only needs cat6a. I guess it’s future proof for equipment that doesn’t exist yet but you could also run fibre that can do 100gb today.

just plain cat6 is 10g capable to 180 feet / 55m. Hell of a run for any point to point in a house unless you're in a celebrity mansion.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
Due to the rising cost of copper and the falling cost of glass I'd predict that most 25/40/100G links in the future will either be DAC or fiber. 1/10 Ethernet will live forever, but it doesn't financially make sense to keep trying to push more in a consumer enviroment.

lignicolos
Dec 6, 2001

knox_harrington posted:

I don't know about the banana pis, but if you're looking at these kind of things you can also consider a used Lenovo Thinkcentre Tiny. They can be bought very cheaply off ebay and are expandable and small. Some of the models have a proper PCIe slot which you can use for a NIC of your choice for a pfsense / proxmox box.

This one just arrived in the post, it's a m920q with an i5-8500T, 16GB memory and a 256GB nvme drive, pretty good for £200ish.

I'm waiting for a £13 riser card to arrive before putting it together with the NIC which is a Supermicro 10Gbe card.

I did this with an m720q and an Intel i350 4-port card from Fujitsu. It's been a great little opnsense machine!

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

I bought a couple of dream routers for a project this week thanks to the perfect timing of the “Magic vpn” feature.

I really hope it works well. That type of feature is the main selling point of Meraki and laffo if Unifi does it now too.

(Small time project connecting 5 devices located at 5 different buildings, each with an internet connection).

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

It's just wireguard with some added bits, a bit like tailscale. I'd just run pfsense plus tailscale instead.

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

Wibla posted:

It's just wireguard with some added bits, a bit like tailscale. I'd just run pfsense plus tailscale instead.

I would if pfsense had a central management system, but it’s a site that’s 2 hours away (closer to 3 during rush hour) and as the only person with any networking experience on my team, it needs to be something that’s easy to understand and support.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
My last job used Sophos XGS firewalls, which I believe did not require a fancy license to use their central management. I quite liked them, although of course everyone online rushes to point out about how much better the older Sophos Firewalls were.

Me and a coworker once banged out 40 site to site tunnels between our main office firewall and our sister sites in under an hour during a project.

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

Unifi's "Site Magic" is only limited to five devices at the moment, which is exactly how many I needed for this project, though I have the exact same project to do at another site that'll need to cover eight devices. They say it'll be increased in a future patch, but we'll see.
The feature I really liked about it (outside of being easy to configure) is that only one needs a public IP and no statics required to be able to set up without fiddling with DDNS.

As far as that project goes; the concept worked perfectly. I ran into a few hiccups that I wasn't expecting as this project was mostly sight unseen, like four of the devices are being connected back to the router over these https://www.amazon.com/Powerline-Ethernet-Adapter-Extender-TP-Link. While it surprisingly seems to be working in three of the buildings, the building with the most unique layout isn't. These are older multi-tenant housing and I guess that was a solution at some point instead of running ethernet?

The primary purpose of fixing a linear access control system that has been down since last year because the system was reachable by a public IP and vulnerable to an active exploit has been resolved, at least.

adnam
Aug 28, 2006

Christmas Whale fully subsidized by ThatsMyBoye
I've got a weird issue with my network. I live in suburbia, have only 1 internet provider and pay for 1000 mbps down/whatever up.
My network setup is a little goofy since my house has a large footprint and I'm working within the built-in cable runs for the time being:

Motorola MB7621 Modem > Unifi Security Gateway >
Unifi 8-Port Switch
  • Unifi AC-LR
  • (long cable run to 2nd Unifi 8-Port Switch) to two other Unifi AP-Pro

I've tested speeds at the USG, which are 950 mbps down, at the 8-port switch, which are 830 mbps down, but when connected as a client to my wifi, I'm topping out 100-200 mbps. My upload is around the same (35-40 mbps up), but I'm not sure how to go about troubleshooting the wireless component.

The speed is the same when connected to any of the access points above (3 total)
I'm pretty sure wiring isn't an issue since everything appears 1,000 FTX on the controller.

So far, this is a new network setup, I've got all settings at default, and turned off any IPS/DPI in the Unifi controller.
I've got the latest firmware/controller settings for all hardware, and the speed is the same despite different clients (iPhone, laptops, etc)
Connection for clients is usually 5G when testing speed.

I do have a large number of IoT devices on the wifi consuming a lot of bandwidth (Nest cameras). In retrospect this seems like the obvious reason why my DL bandwidth is being chewed up, but can anybody recommend next steps for prioritizing computer/phone bandwidth over the camera traffic?
Thanks!

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
Does your device support Wifi 6? and is your device connecting over 5 Ghz channels? Seems like the client device is maxing out, since I doubt its got 2 internal antennas.

Other than that the slow upload sounds like you've maybe got one bad crimp somewhere.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
I think the user has non symmetrical up/down, but doesn't know their up speed.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
UAP-AC-LR is an "AC1350" device with 3x3 MIMO on 2.4GHz and 2x2 on 5GHz (and yes that does seem backwards to me too but that's from the official specs) for a theoretical peak of 450mbit/sec on 2.4G and 867 on 5G.

Those numbers assume 40 MHz channel width on 2.4 GHz which you almost never want to use, 80 MHz channel with on 5 GHz which you can't use if you have any devices older than 802.11ac.

In the real world where 2.4GHz channels are 20 MHz wide that theoretical peak goes down to ~217mbit/sec and when you factor for 3x3 MIMO being rare it drops even further to 144mbit/sec with 2x2 or even 72 for clients without MIMO support.

Likewise on the 5 GHz side dropping to standard 40 MHz channel widths brings the theoretical peak down to 400mbit/sec with 2x2 MIMO and 200 without. I'd be willing to bet that whatever device(s) you're testing with is/are connecting in this mode with 2x2 MIMO on a 40 MHz channel, but because WiFi is wireless on a shared spectrum with lots of potential interference the theoretical peak numbers have only the vaguest association with reality. In lab conditions when running with a wire in place of an antenna it might get close, but in the real world getting over half the theoretical link rate to a single client usually means you're doing pretty well.

FWIW I have a UAP-AC-Pro sitting about 20 feet from me right now with line of sight, wired over a gigabit LAN to a 2 gigabit fiber connection. It has the same 2.4 GHz radio and upgrades the 5 GHz radio to support 3x3. My desktop gets 950ish megabits per second in both directions over a wired connection, my laptop (last Intel Macbook Air before M1) gets 250ish over the WiFi while showing a 400mbit/sec 2x2 link rate.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

wolrah posted:

UAP-AC-LR is an "AC1350" device with 3x3 MIMO on 2.4GHz and 2x2 on 5GHz (and yes that does seem backwards to me too but that's from the official specs) for a theoretical peak of 450mbit/sec on 2.4G and 867 on 5G.

The -LR is specifcally for "Long Range" so it prioritizes 2.4 GHz so it can punch through walls for multiple clients, rather than peak speeds.

adnam
Aug 28, 2006

Christmas Whale fully subsidized by ThatsMyBoye

M_Gargantua posted:

Does your device support Wifi 6? and is your device connecting over 5 Ghz channels? Seems like the client device is maxing out, since I doubt its got 2 internal antennas.

Other than that the slow upload sounds like you've maybe got one bad crimp somewhere.

LRADIKAL posted:

I think the user has non symmetrical up/down, but doesn't know their up speed.

Yeah definitely non-symmetric.
I have Spectrum's technically "up to" 1 GB speed. There's no stated upload on the promotional details. Giving them a call today to see if there's a stated upload and/or if they can trouble shoot from their side.

wolrah posted:

Those numbers assume 40 MHz channel width on 2.4 GHz which you almost never want to use, 80 MHz channel with on 5 GHz which you can't use if you have any devices older than 802.11ac.

In the real world where 2.4GHz channels are 20 MHz wide that theoretical peak goes down to ~217mbit/sec and when you factor for 3x3 MIMO being rare it drops even further to 144mbit/sec with 2x2 or even 72 for clients without MIMO support.

Likewise on the 5 GHz side dropping to standard 40 MHz channel widths brings the theoretical peak down to 400mbit/sec with 2x2 MIMO and 200 without. I'd be willing to bet that whatever device(s) you're testing with is/are connecting in this mode with 2x2 MIMO on a 40 MHz channel, but because WiFi is wireless on a shared spectrum with lots of potential interference the theoretical peak numbers have only the vaguest association with reality. In lab conditions when running with a wire in place of an antenna it might get close, but in the real world getting over half the theoretical link rate to a single client usually means you're doing pretty well.

FWIW I have a UAP-AC-Pro sitting about 20 feet from me right now with line of sight, wired over a gigabit LAN to a 2 gigabit fiber connection. It has the same 2.4 GHz radio and upgrades the 5 GHz radio to support 3x3. My desktop gets 950ish megabits per second in both directions over a wired connection, my laptop (last Intel Macbook Air before M1) gets 250ish over the WiFi while showing a 400mbit/sec 2x2 link rate.

Thanks for more information on the UAP-AC-LR. I'm getting similar speeds when connecting to either AC-PRO as well. I think I need to do some optimizing with the widths/power for wireless, but one of my other concerns was that I have an 8 port switch > long cable run > second 8 port switch. Is there any special rules I should be aware of for a switch>switch interface?

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

adnam posted:

Thanks for more information on the UAP-AC-LR. I'm getting similar speeds when connecting to either AC-PRO as well. I think I need to do some optimizing with the widths/power for wireless, but one of my other concerns was that I have an 8 port switch > long cable run > second 8 port switch. Is there any special rules I should be aware of for a switch>switch interface?

No, your wired connections will almost always be faster and more reliable than whatever spectrum gives you.

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

Those ac-pros have a secondary nic on it that you can use to verify if it is a cabling issue but if you are seeing between 100-200, I suspect not.

ROJO
Jan 14, 2006

Oven Wrangler
Chiming in also that 100-200 doesn't seem ridiculous for non Wifi 6 or non 3x3 devices in real world conditions. I wouldn't overthink this too much. That is what I routinely see with my wired AC-Pros on symmetric gig fiber. And yeah, 35-40 up seems to be a common upload speed tied to gig download for cable providers.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler
If you can get 80MHz channels and a strong signal, Wi-Fi 5 should be able to do substantially better. I have a Cisco 2802i which is Wi-Fi 5 (2x2 2.4G, 4x4 5G) about 10' from me on the ceiling and I get about 600Mbps with Speedtest using my Pixel 7 which I'm pretty sure is only 2x2. I used to run a UAP-AC-Pro and I don't think it was substantially worse in terms of throughput.

It's not like you really need to though if you're getting 100M+, since that's fine for most purposes. What you should do comes down to your particular use case and how perfectionist you're feeling.

Eletriarnation fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Aug 29, 2023

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

ROJO posted:

Chiming in also that 100-200 doesn't seem ridiculous for non Wifi 6 or non 3x3 devices in real world conditions. I wouldn't overthink this too much. That is what I routinely see with my wired AC-Pros on symmetric gig fiber. And yeah, 35-40 up seems to be a common upload speed tied to gig download for cable providers.

Yeah, if you're on the 2.4ghz band especially that's reasonable, and as far as the upload goes cable providers like to do some dumb bullshit speed of 1000mbps down / 30-50mbps up so that's what I assumed was happening.

Best wifi I've personally tested was around 850mbps each way on a 2.5g symmetrical fiber connection on wifi 6 standard (5ghz band, the laptop has a 6ghz capable chip but apparently dell has it disabled in custom drivers or some poo poo) on a 80mhz channel but that took some real finagling and was mostly testing what I think is reasonable on a particular AP we're looking at for work. I kinda like its performance honestly but it ain't cheap :v:

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
In an uncongested space you can do some nice stuff with channel widths, and hopefully maintain compatibility with all your devices.

But for most people that's not an option and not worth the effort.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

Easy way to clear your airspace is to use a modified microwave to blast your neighbors wifi antennas until they overheat and melt, then operate in all bands unfettered by other people.