Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

Artisan guild is one of the few creators that have presupported minis I trust to print ok.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Fabelzel (28mm Chaos Dwarf proxies) has been absolutely fantastic but I'm generally skeptical. My current workflow is to tip 45 degrees back and then rotate the figure so any gun/outstretched arm as close to vertical as possible, then use Lychee 'I'm feeling Lucky' without auto-orientation. So far (touch wood) that's given me good results. I'm going to try to print some supportless smaller figures, so that'll be interesting to try!

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

All we do is walk around believing birds!

CHaKKaWaKka posted:

If I resize a pre-supported model by 20%, is it likely to gently caress up the supports in a major way?
I printed a bunch of pre-supported models scaled up by 180%, and had exactly one problem. A single droopy spot on one model. Out of 4 dozen large models. The supports popped off great, there was a spot or two I had to whip out the hobby knife and clean up, but nothing broke or was disfigured at all.

If were scaling down by a significant ratio, like down to 30% of the original size, I'd resupport. But 20%? I wouldn't give it a second thought and just hit GO.

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

Southern Heel posted:

Fabelzel (28mm Chaos Dwarf proxies) has been absolutely fantastic but I'm generally skeptical. My current workflow is to tip 45 degrees back and then rotate the figure so any gun/outstretched arm as close to vertical as possible, then use Lychee 'I'm feeling Lucky' without auto-orientation. So far (touch wood) that's given me good results. I'm going to try to print some supportless smaller figures, so that'll be interesting to try!

That almost exactly my workflow for supports. I've only had a couple of minis die from this minus the FEP on my creality machine sticking to everything.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED
Tabletop STLs have been great for letting me learn Blender for 3D printing. Getting some piece of poo poo WW2 tank that's actually 7 separate meshes bungled together is making me really appreciate good models made with an eye towards printing.

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017
Yeah, the early days of thingiverse were an uncharted wasteland of people posting files that would never be printable without a lot of fixing.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

I am looking at a series of supportless prints - they come in small strips of 4 figures, or single based. I need strips of 6 and I am finding myself doing the very thing I promised myself that I wouldn't do - farting around in 3D modelling software to make it work. Splitting, merging, creating undercuts for separation from the build plate then cleaning up vertices, non-manifold faces, etc. etc.

How important is creating that undercut? Most of the recent stuff I've printed has either been on rafts, or with that undercut provided as part of the print. I've added one to the grenadiers in the left, but the figures as supplied by the modeller (Henry Turner) do not have one:

My gut feeling is to scale these to about 5-10% undersize so that each strip fits on a 1" wide base and just call it a day. You can see how the grenadier mesh is being simplified in order to get it under the file size limit for TinkerCAD so I'm not wild about doing this all myself. I don't really have time to learn Blender to do it locally, unless someone is going to tell me it's absolutely trivial?

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

Southern Heel posted:

I am looking at a series of supportless prints - they come in small strips of 4 figures, or single based. I need strips of 6 and I am finding myself doing the very thing I promised myself that I wouldn't do - farting around in 3D modelling software to make it work. Splitting, merging, creating undercuts for separation from the build plate then cleaning up vertices, non-manifold faces, etc. etc.

How important is creating that undercut? Most of the recent stuff I've printed has either been on rafts, or with that undercut provided as part of the print. I've added one to the grenadiers in the left, but the figures as supplied by the modeller (Henry Turner) do not have one:

My gut feeling is to scale these to about 5-10% undersize so that each strip fits on a 1" wide base and just call it a day. You can see how the grenadier mesh is being simplified in order to get it under the file size limit for TinkerCAD so I'm not wild about doing this all myself. I don't really have time to learn Blender to do it locally, unless someone is going to tell me it's absolutely trivial?

Lychee has an elephant's foot compensation setting that night do the trick for you here.

I think these small scales tend to be added to inserted into a slightly larger base after the fact, so that might be worth a consideration too? Then your not mucking around with specifics and can just hide it in your basing material

Is scale important at all or just strips of 6? Any reason you couldn't chop it in half and have a bunch of strips of 4 and 2?

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

The scale at this point is largely notional, but I want to have a 40mm base with the frontage relatively full. I sent a message to the creator and he linked me this video, which seems like a good deal of a better idea than what I was planning....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GuIyNlsQrUc

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Uhh I've completely blanked on the how, but I know it was possible in Chitubox when doing supports. You could generate a thin raft, size it so it is very slightly smaller than the horizontal area, and have the wall setting so it slopes up and away from the plate, that outward slope meets up with the model's actual base leaving an undercut. You just have to play with thickness settings to make sure there isn't a cavity.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Southern Heel posted:

If you are printing on the plate directly you could overlap two stands by just a hair and have exactly one half of one go outside the print area.

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Fact #1 The Moon is really cool
Hello thread~ I was at a convention this past weekend and seeing some of the creative stuff people were doing with these little figures using something called the Glyos system I kind of got a creative bug burning in my brain.

I kind of wanna learn how to make my own figures but I have no idea where to begin. I like to think I'm a pretty okay artist but I have no experience with painting or sculpting miniatures and the like (traditional or 3d). So I guess I'm wondering if y'all have any tips for a pretty much stage 0 beginner? I appreciate any help you might have!

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

Good Listener posted:

Hello thread~ I was at a convention this past weekend and seeing some of the creative stuff people were doing with these little figures using something called the Glyos system I kind of got a creative bug burning in my brain.

I kind of wanna learn how to make my own figures but I have no idea where to begin. I like to think I'm a pretty okay artist but I have no experience with painting or sculpting miniatures and the like (traditional or 3d). So I guess I'm wondering if y'all have any tips for a pretty much stage 0 beginner? I appreciate any help you might have!

Give Blender a try, it's free and powerful, but has a somewhat steep learning curve. I use it to sculpt and modify my own figures for X-Wing and Warhammer.

Fortunatly there are a ton of free resources to learn, here's some that I used.

Start with the basics of Blender, check this video out.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nIoXOplUvAw

Then learn how to set it up and export items to appropriate formats for printing.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ROwdFy7HbA0

Then start looking for videos on what you want to model. I'm pretty fond of Imphenzia's stuff since I mostly make mechanical objects and his techniques are fast and easy.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1jHUY3qoBu8

Aniodia
Feb 23, 2016

Literally who?

I was cleaning off some warmaster prints off my build plate, into the old ice cream tub I've been using to wash them in (which is great, because they're big fuckin' plastic gallon tubs with lids), and I noticed that my scraper was catching on my build plate. Wiping it off with a paper towel, I kept trying to see if it was some resin that had hardened and gotten stuck, or something had misprinted, or whatever. After a minute of loving with it, I caught it with the corner of my scraper, and peeled up a little bit of plastic. Clear, adhesive plastic. Clear, adhesive plastic that was the protective film put on it for shipping, that I hadn't peeled off before printing like, 6 full units of spearmen.

Plus side, it didn't gently caress up my prints while it was on, and they fall off just as easily without it.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED
I'll second that Blender is likely what you're looking for. Youtube University is definitely the best resource for you and I'll shoutout Artisans of Vaul as another good channel for relevant tutorials when it comes to modelling (and, specifically, tabletop modelling) for 3D printing.

https://www.youtube.com/@ArtisansofVaul

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Fact #1 The Moon is really cool
I will check this out, appreciate the help!

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Bloody heck, I'm almost finished on my third litre of resin!

Aniodia posted:

Clear, adhesive plastic. Clear, adhesive plastic that was the protective film put on it for shipping, that I hadn't peeled off before printing like, 6 full units of spearmen.

I did exactly this too - Mars 3 Pro? To be fair, it doesn't mention that plastic film in the instructions where everything else is detailed...

Aniodia
Feb 23, 2016

Literally who?

Southern Heel posted:

Bloody heck, I'm almost finished on my third litre of resin!

I did exactly this too - Mars 3 Pro? To be fair, it doesn't mention that plastic film in the instructions where everything else is detailed...

Regular Mars 3, but yeah, totally didn't even realize it was a thing until half a dozen prints in. The More You Know.

Mouzer
May 9, 2006
Feed the fish!

I did the same with a mars 3 and lost my second print on it lol

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

"I would have won the race but for that."
Epic minis is offering a free model every day on their patreon. Shouldn't need to be a patron. https://www.patreon.com/posts/daily-free-model-87781443

Good way to see if you like their stuff.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
Welp. I've had my first ever self-distructing mini.

I can only assume this was due to a batch of bad resin; I have older and larger minis that are holding up just fine. Heat shouldn't have been a factor since it was kept in a basement area that rarely gets above 72 degrees.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

Is there drain holes on that? I see that it's hollow but I can't spot any drain holes at those angles

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Yeah the hardest rule I learned about resin printing is you have to get ALL of the uncured resin out of the hollow parts and get it really dry in there (shining a little UV flashlight in is even better).

Uncured resin offgasses and if it's in a little pocket that's been glued up, kaboom

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

queeb posted:

Is there drain holes on that? I see that it's hollow but I can't spot any drain holes at those angles

There were, but they were on interior surfaces and wound up glued over. I thought I had it pretty well cleaned out but I went pretty heavy on internal supports so I probably left resin pockets.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

I like to print most tabletop things solid if possible, I think it is more expensive, yeah, but a lot less of a headache and effort to clean.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

Yeah i go solid when I can or just big honkin drain holes wherever I can get away with it on the model so I can be sure it's cured, and I snake a UV light in too, a little pen one

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

IncredibleIgloo posted:

I like to print most tabletop things solid if possible, I think it is more expensive, yeah, but a lot less of a headache and effort to clean.

That's my thinking as well, I'd rather use a bit more resin and be assured the model won't crack open because it wasn't fully cured on the inside.

CommunityEdition
May 1, 2009
Such a shame, that was a nice paint job

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

queeb posted:

Yeah i go solid when I can or just big honkin drain holes wherever I can get away with it on the model so I can be sure it's cured, and I snake a UV light in too, a little pen one

any good recs on the uv light? I've been looking for one that's basically a little LED on a single wire, but all I get are standard pen lights.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
You make those by buying some UV LEDs off amazon and wiring one to a power source. It is the absolute least complicated electronics project in the universe.

If I were to try to make one, I'd order some 3-5 volt LEDs and solder one onto a sacrificial USB cable. Maybe maybe if I felt fancy I'd print a battery case instead.

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma
Dec 5, 2012

Surprising Adventures!
My second print after installing a screen protector, a model stuck the FEP, no biggie. However when cleaning the tank, I noticed there was a film of cured resin most of the way across the FEP, apart from the edges and the top middle here where I peeled off the failure. It almost looks like a tank clean started after the print.

The prints themselves came out ok ish, though some seem quite low res, and have a slight wobble to some of them, however I think that may be due to my flex plate magnet losing some adhesion to the main plate. Not sure.

Anyone ever seen this? I've had my share of fails but cant figure out how this happened, and the remaining resin in the tank wasn't cured at all, so I don't think light got into the cover.

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017
did you reset you bed zero after the screen protector?

I've had similar issues when my z zero was pushing the build plate too hard into the FEP and screen.

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma
Dec 5, 2012

Surprising Adventures!
I did reset the z=0 and level the plate after adding the screen protector yes, but not between the 2 prints I tried. The first one came out with no fails so I went straight to the next plate, hoping it would "just work" for once. I did it by swapping between flex plates, I'm not sure if theres maybe a slight difference in thickness between them because of some cured resin on them or something.. I cleaned them quite well beforehand with a scraper + IPA though.

I did notice some of those "successful" first prints are slightly warped or had thick lines through them as if they shifted a bit during printing, despite having no outright fails. Not sure if it could be related.

(Note the wing with the lines through it is not the same one as the one with the warped connecting surface... but they were on the same plate. Not sure how I manage to get so many diverse issues from a single run :D)

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017
It sort of looks like a combination of bad zero setting, plus some sticking to the FEP and once you got the zero sorted out , the sticking is still an issue. That's what usually causes my warps and visible layer lines.

The one machine that has those problems for me was fine until I installed a flex plate. I'm probably just gonna ng to times it off to see if it fixes it.

This is another guess, but maybe the screen protector that you added is filtering some of the uv light, and you need to adjust your exposure settings to compensate.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice
Anyone have any first-hand experience (or even 2nd hand, I guess!) with an AnyCubic Kobra 2? I am happy with my Mono 4k resin, but I don't know if there is a vast difference in quality between resin and filament printers from the same companies.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Lumpy posted:

Anyone have any first-hand experience (or even 2nd hand, I guess!) with an AnyCubic Kobra 2? I am happy with my Mono 4k resin, but I don't know if there is a vast difference in quality between resin and filament printers from the same companies.

I had an original Anycubic Kobra and I was happy with it for the most part, but I tried Elegoo Neptune line and prefer them. I think you can get a Neptune 4 pro for 40 more than the Kobra 2 and I would go with the Neptune 4 Pro. I am really happy with mine.

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
I was thinking of getting a Neptune. It would be my first FDM printer, what's a good cheap and reliable filament brand like Sunlu is to resin? Would mostly be printing mini bases and terrain.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED
Elegoo's filament is pretty cheap on Amazon and I've been burning through rolls of it with very little, if any, issues.

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma
Dec 5, 2012

Surprising Adventures!

Rad-daddio posted:

The one machine that has those problems for me was fine until I installed a flex plate. I'm probably just gonna ng to times it off to see if it fixes it.

Sorry I presume that last sentence got mangled by auto correct, as google returns nothing. Increase lift times...? Or just take it off? Or something else? Thank you! (Also, is your problem machine also a Mars 3 Pro?)

Adding the flex plates was really great at the start compared to chipping everything off with a scraper, and many prints came out fine. But I think the magnet maybe started to lose adhesion to the actual plate, which may be a factor I guess. I'll probably try removing it for next time also.

Being able to swap plates and start printing again immediately while you pop everything off the first is great but in the end I might just get a second actual build plate and go back to scraping if it's causing issues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma posted:

Sorry I presume that last sentence got mangled by auto correct, as google returns nothing. Increase lift times...? Or just take it off? Or something else? Thank you! (Also, is your problem machine also a Mars 3 Pro?)

Adding the flex plates was really great at the start compared to chipping everything off with a scraper, and many prints came out fine. But I think the magnet maybe started to lose adhesion to the actual plate, which may be a factor I guess. I'll probably try removing it for next time also.

Being able to swap plates and start printing again immediately while you pop everything off the first is great but in the end I might just get a second actual build plate and go back to scraping if it's causing issues.

lol yeah autocorrect ftw.

but yeah I ended up taking the flex plate off and releveling and resetting the build plate zero. It worked great for one print, then it was back to sticking to the FEP again. I still got a finished print, but I could see where there were layer lines due to the sticking also I could hear a "thonk" every time the build plate came up.

The printer in question is a Creality LD-200R. I bought it back during the pandemic, and as luck would have it I ended up using it mostly for making delicate flexure prototypes for a company that makes atomic force microscopes. I let it sit for awhile, and then when I got back into printing it's giving me nothing but problems.